Fuck Big 12 refs

taybo20

2 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Stop with the "fix" talk already.  That's gaping pussy shit.  The refs are incompetent, we all already knew that.  They missed a ton of calls, as they do every game.  If we had somehow beat OU, their fans would be posting screenshots of shit the refs missed on us too.  There isn't a grand conspiracy, there's no one pulling strings behind the scenes.  Especially Bowlsby, lol.  Lemme get this straight, the guy who got totally punked in realignment is somehow organizing a conspiracy against ONE of the two teams that screwed him.  He's simultaneously incompetent enough to get screwed in realignment and competent enough to orchestrate a conspiracy involving MULTIPLE people in the Big12 HQ and the refs, knowing that if any word of it leaked it would be a total shitshow.  Occam's razor, what's more likely?  That??  Or that the refs just suck and OU got the benefit of some great bounces plus our defensive personnel are bad?  I realize we're all hurting and want some bad guy to lash out against but c'mon man, this is straight up aggy.  Don't be aggy, take the loss pussies and realize that our trend line improving, you don't cure the stink of Herman/Strong/Mack in half a season, and you can't put this on conspiracy.  JFC.

Yet they always seem to flow in one fucking direction at key times that keep scoring plays alive and our tired defense on the field, helping to preserve at least one conference team in the playoff contention.

It's not only us that over the years have gnashed our teeth over ad nauseum.....protecting conference darlings so the honey pot keep flowing. 

40 minutes ago, bullet said:

Here's the deal.  There were a half dozen close plays.  And other than the receiver stepping out of bounds, they got all of them right.  They just all went against us.  And we know the Big 12 refs almost never call holding on pass plays.  OU just takes better advantage of that than anybody else in the conference.  They don't call it much period.

Stop whining.  Y'all sound like aggys.

I just think the stakes are way too high, coaches and players work way too hard every day, for it to be undone/fucked over by a bunch of incompetent fucknut refs who don't work or practice nearly as hard as the players they're officiating.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

In high school there isn't replay except in playoffs.  they are supposed to let something that close like that go and let replay sort it out at the college and NFL level now.

I'm unaware of any replay for TXHSFB other than championship games @ JerryWorld.

If officials are being told not to rule on this now, it's a change in policy. Makes sense with instant replay, but it wasn't what was taught when I was officiating.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, DFW Horn said:

I'm unaware of any replay for TXHSFB other than championship games @ JerryWorld.

If officials are being told not to rule on this now, it's a change in policy. Makes sense with instant replay, but it wasn't what was taught when I was officiating.

you are correct I should have said just champ games.  totally understand in high school with no replay you rule in favor of the O if it is close at game speed.  its a new day on those type of plays with replay in college and NFL.

In theory replay should limit the fuckery but there are ways around it and the officials know them.  not reviewing the QB fumble, this play, and the pick up of the hat on the "forced out" play are inexcusable.  missing the false starts is inexcusable also.  if you miss those how the fuck can I expect you to see stuff at game speed.

Just now, dcar00 said:

you are correct I should have said just champ games.  totally understand in high school with no replay you rule in favor of the O if it is close at game speed.  its a new day on those type of plays with replay in college and NFL.

In theory replay should limit the fuckery but there are ways around it and the officials know them.  not reviewing the QB fumble, this play, and the pick up of the hat on the "forced out" play are inexcusable.  missing the false starts is inexcusable also.  if you miss those how the fuck can I expect you to see stuff at game speed.

No argument from me regarding the ineligible receiver and Williams fumble. Those should've been corrected by the replay booth. To your point, it's probably best if flank officials don't blow the play dead if there's any doubt about forward/backward pass too.

False start should be easy to call, but a flinch by the OL is sometimes imperceptible at game speed. I don't want those calls being overly scrutinized by replay. Games are already too long, IMO.

20 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I just think the stakes are way too high, coaches and players work way too hard every day, for it to be undone/fucked over by a bunch of incompetent fucknut refs who don't work or practice nearly as hard as the players they're officiating.

Agreed, but I'd have to watch the game in its entirety again - sober - to see if the refs fucked OU on a few calls too. We're obviously seeing a lot thru our burnt orange glasses. But, yeah, it still hurts.

I don't think they over rule the call on the field in a review, but if they did there was a clear and obvious recovery before the play was called dead and it would be UT ball.

This is also part of the problem, the ending of plays with a whistle needlessly.
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Agreed, but I'd have to watch the game in its entirety again - sober - to see if the refs fucked OU on a few calls too. We're obviously seeing a lot thru our burnt orange glasses. But, yeah, it still hurts.

well they got their first flag in the 4th quarter if that gives you any spoilers 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

Here's the deal.  There were a half dozen close plays.  And other than the receiver stepping out of bounds, they got all of them right.  They just all went against us.  And we know the Big 12 refs almost never call holding on pass plays.  OU just takes better advantage of that than anybody else in the conference.  They don't call it much period.
Stop whining.  Y'all sound like aggys.

Ok walt. They got them wrong. And holding is illegal. Hands to the face is illegal. Facemasks are illegal. False start is illegal. Delay of game is illegal. Illegal touching is illegal. Opi is illegal.

And they didnt just ignore holding on pass plays but on runs as well.

You must be an official or related to one. Everything you wrote was wrong.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

My two cents:

overly ripped refs with clear roid addiction piss me off as much or more so than their shitty incompetence.

less time in the gym fellas and more time perfecting your craft….

But, Poindexter is so imposing in his smedium shirt

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No argument from me regarding the ineligible receiver and Williams fumble. Those should've been corrected by the replay booth. To your point, it's probably best if flank officials don't blow the play dead if there's any doubt about forward/backward pass too.
False start should be easy to call, but a flinch by the OL is sometimes imperceptible at game speed. I don't want those calls being overly scrutinized by replay. Games are already too long, IMO.

What about 2 flinching o linemen? Cause that one play i am thinking of had two different guys move. No flag. Everyone else on tv saw it too. It wasnt a muscle spasm twitch either it was movement.
  • Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

agreed false start shouldn't be reviewable because IT SHOULD BE EASY TO CALL.  It was apparently easy to call on us but not OU.

13 minutes ago, Nivek said:

What about 2 flinching o linemen? Cause that one play i am thinking of had two different guys move. No flag. Everyone else on tv saw it too. It wasnt a muscle spasm twitch either it was movement.

Then it's a missed call by the U and/or C. Flanks should catch the OTs and TEs.

FIFY, but otherwise you're correct
Most flank officials aren't going to call the pass in question backwards, so don't be disappointed when it's not ruled as such. When in doubt, a "lateral" is a forward pass. Unfortunately, this one is too close to call at game speed. IMO, the WR out-of-bounds ruling was much more egregious since the deep flank ruled him OB. 

By rule, a forward pass must be forward. A straight, too close to call, pass is a lateral. If its too close to call, refs should consider it a live ball so as to not impact the continuation of a play.

Section 19:
A pass is forward if the ball first strikes the ground, a player, an official or anything else beyond the spot where the ball is released. All other passes are backward passes.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I officiated TXHSFB for 10 years and worked both HL and LJ. At game speed, on-the-field I'd probably rule that pass incomplete too. Flank officials are trained to blow it dead immediately in that situation. We were also trained, by Big 12 officials at our seminars, to rule "laterals" as forward passes when in doubt.
This pass is too close to call at game speed and when in doubt, it will oftentimes be ruled incomplete. It sucks, but I think the QB drifting back gives it more of the illusion of being a backwards pass. 

You were trained incorrectly. They’re making shit up to make it easier for offenses and to have less replays.
  • Hook 'Em 1

If you use the yardmarker as reference, rattlers forward foot is even with it when he throws..the ball curves backwards and is a good 3 inches behind the yardmarker before cock goblin Jr. Touches the ball..

That’s right. The ball/Rattler’s hand were on or in front of the yard line when he released the ball. Stoops touches it behind that same yard line. It isn’t even and this isn’t rocket science.

The refs had access to replay and slow motion. They should have gotten the call right. They did not. 

Seriously though, the problem with quality Refs is not unique to just the Big 12.   It's football wide down to the middle school/pee wee level.    Used to be most new Refs worked their way up to high school varsity and at the same time, dipped their toes into small college games at the same time.  Then they would used that experience to get in to the FCS or Mid Major market.  And then to the Div 1 level and either become the best of the best or even give the NFL a shot.   

Now they are putting Refs with little game duty in varsity contests and it shows.   And stuff has to trickle up. 

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

Ok walt. They got them wrong. And holding is illegal. Hands to the face is illegal. Facemasks are illegal. False start is illegal. Delay of game is illegal. Illegal touching is illegal. Opi is illegal.

And they didnt just ignore holding on pass plays but on runs as well.

You must be an official or related to one. Everything you wrote was wrong.

The two passes by OU were not laterals.   The QB throw was not a fumble as his arm was going forward.   The TD, yes the guy got his foot down by a quarter inch.  The muffed punt did go off the UT player's helmet.  The strip after the long OU run was after his knee was down.  The UT completion was with a foot a quarter inch out of bounds.  Every one of these critical plays were real close and all went against UT and all were called right after replay.

I believe they did pick up a targeting on UT (although that might have been another game).

As for holding, we know how the Big 12 calls that or doesn't.  I hate the way they do it, but we all know they won't call those.  In the SEC, they don't call late hits and let lots of dirty play go on in the pile.  Just watch an Alabama game closely-they are thugs like Miami in the 90s.  The Big 12 refs are consistent with holding.  They let O linemen get away with it unless it is really flagrant.

The only thing they blew was that 1Q pass where the receiver went out of bounds.  That was a really critical call and they did blow that one.  But this was nothing like some other games including that Okie St. ripoff where call after call is wrong and goes against us.

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Seriously though, the problem with quality Refs is not unique to just the Big 12.   It's football wide down to the middle school/pee wee level.    Used to be most new Refs worked their way up to high school varsity and at the same time, dipped their toes into small college games at the same time.  Then they would used that experience to get in to the FCS or Mid Major market.  And then to the Div 1 level and either become the best of the best or even give the NFL a shot.   

Now they are putting Refs with little game duty in varsity contests and it shows.   And stuff has to trickle up. 

Then those errors should be random and not all favoring one side, year after year after year.    And I have watched plenty of football to have observed that the officiating within the B12 is most egregious in terms of bias.    And yet, we routinely observe TT/OU have trouble in the bowl season with their line play when they are not allowed to get away with the bullshit that passes within this conference.   The guy who bumped Charlie Strong then flagged Strong is still and official in this conference and during our games.   So tell me how this is all purely random.

Do you actually think a Texas player can get away with blowing up the QB after the whistle and pretend he was the only person in the stadium or on the field that didn't hear it?   

What other conference has a player get flagged for doing his own school's hand signal?   Yet, 15 years later decides that they other players who have been doing it ad nauseum during that span, that it might be considered taunting.   

Edited by Nivek
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, bullet said:

The two passes by OU were not laterals.   The QB throw was not a fumble as his arm was going forward.   The TD, yes the guy got his foot down by a quarter inch.  The muffed punt did go off the UT player's helmet.  The strip after the long OU run was after his knee was down.  The UT completion was with a foot a quarter inch out of bounds.  Every one of these critical plays were real close and all went against UT and all were called right after replay.

I believe they did pick up a targeting on UT (although that might have been another game).

As for holding, we know how the Big 12 calls that or doesn't.  I hate the way they do it, but we all know they won't call those.  In the SEC, they don't call late hits and let lots of dirty play go on in the pile.  Just watch an Alabama game closely-they are thugs like Miami in the 90s.  The Big 12 refs are consistent with holding.  They let O linemen get away with it unless it is really flagrant.

The only thing they blew was that 1Q pass where the receiver went out of bounds.  That was a really critical call and they did blow that one.  But this was nothing like some other games including that Okie St. ripoff where call after call is wrong and goes against us.

The pass was backwards.  The Texas player caused the fumble before the hand went forward.  The punt that hit the Texas player isn't an issue because no one is disputing that one.  The OPI which allowed Mimms to be free to make the catch was the problem and the holding on that play.  The face masks, holding, hands to the face, and everything not called on OU is the goddamn point.  The officials were not consistent with holding it was very flagrant by OU in the second half, and every single damn play in the 4th by them included tackling and holding as their pass protect and run protection.   Yell the last TD had 2 holds, one obvious one at the line and one downfield and a no-call facemask.   How can the officials miss face masks in the open field?  Simple, they didn't.      You said the holding had to be egregious for them to call it, yet the refs called holding on something against Texas that wasn't clear or egregious.   

• Hook 'Em 5

And you're basing this assertion on what, exactly? HS officials don't have access to instant replay. Reading comprehension fail.

Based on your own words, you indicated that Big12 officials teach to give the benefit of the doubt of a sideways throw as forward pass ruling. When by rule anything not forward is a lateral.

I’m saying that Big12 officials rule this way to be expedient.

If officials cannot tell the difference then it should be determined to be a lateral because objectively a sideways throw is a lateral.

If you want to benefit one side, and not be controversial, maybe you’ll just rule its an incomplete throw so as not to be too severe on the offense. That’s horseshit.

Moreover, the defense should also know if sideways throws are forward passes or not so they can, in realtime, determine if there’s still a passing situation. Which was relevant this Saturday on that trick play and one of the reasons it worked. Because it looked like a forward pass was already made.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

Few of the spots they gave OU were hella short. I just looked at it as making up for them missing calls against OU. 

22 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Based on your own words, you indicated that Big12 officials teach to give the benefit of the doubt of a sideways throw as forward pass ruling. When by rule anything not forward is a lateral.

I’m saying that Big12 officials rule this way to be expedient.

If officials cannot tell the difference then it should be determined to be a lateral because objectively a sideways throw is a lateral.

If you want to benefit one side, and not be controversial, maybe you’ll just rule its an incomplete throw so as not to be too severe on the offense. That’s horseshit.

Moreover, the defense should also know if sideways throws are forward passes or not so they can, in realtime, determine if there’s still a passing situation. Which was relevant this Saturday on that trick play and one of the reasons it worked. Because it looked like a forward pass was already made.

You won't find the word "lateral" anywhere in the NCAA Rule Book.

If you're arguing that a Big 12 official shouldn't blow his whistle when in doubt, I agree. But, I really don't know what their official mechanics dictate or recommend. I just know how we were trained to handle a forward/backward pass without the benefit of instant replay.

• Hook 'Em 1

If you're arguing that a Big 12 official shouldn't blow his whistle when in doubt, I agree. But, I really don't know what their official mechanics dictate or recommend. I just know how we were trained to handle a forward/backward pass without the benefit of instant replay.

Guess what isn’t germane to the situation?
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Then those errors should be random and not all favoring one side, year after year after year.    And I have watched plenty of football to have observed that the officiating within the B12 is most egregious in terms of bias.    And yet, we routinely observe TT/OU have trouble in the bowl season with their line play when they are not allowed to get away with the bullshit that passes within this conference.   The guy who bumped Charlie Strong then flagged Strong is still and official in this conference and during our games.   So tell me how this is all purely random.

Do you actually think a Texas player can get away with blowing up the QB after the whistle and pretend he was the only person in the stadium or on the field that didn't hear it?   

What other conference has a player get flagged for doing his own school's hand signal?   Yet, 15 years later decides that they other players who have been doing it ad nauseum during that span, that it might be considered taunting.   

Agreed.   The officiating in this conference and the hear, speak, and see no evil attitude of the Big 12 office for years  is almost the #1 reason I’m glad we are leaving.    

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, txindep said:

Been 10+ years of mostly mediocre results in conference, at this point blaming it on the refs seems very Aggy. If there’s a conspiracy between B12 & refs to keep us from winning, it’d be one long-lasting conspiracy to keep secret. Working the refs better from the sidelines might help, but more importantly just need to execute at a higher level so bad calls from refs can’t determine the outcome. 

I take it you missed the Oklahoma State game when Strong was the HC. 

On 10/10/2021 at 8:22 PM, Surly Bevo said:

Yea everybody was howling about it in the stadium because there was ample replays being played on the board while they looked at if he caught it in bounds but the replays were long enough that everybody could see he went out right before he caught it.  Since they didn't review for that I guess like that onsides kick it would have been on us to challenge and ask for that review and not sure that is something we can ask for or not?

the back judge threw his hat

back

and to the left

back

and to the left

On 10/10/2021 at 8:23 PM, Had Enough said:

My understanding was that they considered him pushed out on the field, and that is why the booth did not review that part of the call.

the replay clearly showed he was NOT pushed out on the field, unless the laws of physics were momentarily suspended

if the booth could not review that part of the call, why did the entire espn crew including the consulting referee all declare it was coming back?  why did the entire espn crew including the consulting referee not say the words "pushed out subjective ruling can't review that part of the call"?

it was Class A Fuckery

• Hook 'Em 3

What about the Jamison strip? The fucking announcers kept saying that you had to give it to the offense because of his effort to get down there.

This looks right but two things on the play. Bush held at the point of attack. But also #73 speared Foster on the return. But it was dead so how do you rule?

23 hours ago, pacman said:

Hard to blame UT when the entire conference complains about OU and the favorable treatment by the referees 

a few other coaches my call it out, but the only reason it persists is because the administrations quietly look the other way and tell their coaches to eat it so the league can profit from a bogus inflated 0u which spontaneously combusts once the bowl payouts are locked in

12 hours ago, RC Horn said:

Knowing Sooner fans like I do, this is just a retribution for what happened in 1984. (BTW, I queued up a time in a Youtube video where a bad call went against UT in a very important call  of that game). UT fans need to quit apologizing for that game.

i was there, 20 rows up in section 17 right on top of the bogus PI call

i've never apologized for it - what the refs did that day was clear and obvious - they kept the #1 and #3 teams from different conferences alive in the national title race

and what did 0u do thereafter?  2 weeks later they went to Lawrence and shit the bed against a 2-5 chalk that finished 5-6, opted to diss the undefeated brethren and take the orange bid where all they had to do as the #2 was beat 10-1 #4 washington, and they fucked that up too

we didn't cost them a damn thing in '84, they went chokelahoma

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

You will find that a pass from behind the line of scrimmage must be clearly backwards to be ruled backwards, and that a pass beyond the line of scrimmage must be clearly forwards to be ruled forwards.

In other words, a lateral pass behind the LOS is a forward pass when in doubt.  The linesman to the side of the throw signals a pass backwards by raising his back arm straight out, which he did not do on this play because it didn't clearly move backwards.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, JBJ said:

You will find that a pass from behind the line of scrimmage must be clearly backwards to be ruled backwards, and that a pass beyond the line of scrimmage must be clearly forwards to be ruled forwards.

In other words, a lateral pass behind the LOS is a forward pass when in doubt.  The linesman to the side of the throw signals a pass backwards by raising his back arm straight out, which he did not do on this play because it didn't clearly move backwards.

Except it clearly did. Watch the replay. 

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

a few other coaches my call it out, but the only reason it persists is because the administrations quietly look the other way and tell their coaches to eat it so the league can profit from a bogus inflated 0u which spontaneously combusts once the bowl payouts are locked in

Fowler called it out when OU got their first holding penalty at 8:34 Q4. 
“You know what the Texas coaching staff is saying “finally”. A lot of teams that play Oklahoma complain that there’s a lot of holding going on that don’t get called. They’ve been penalty free until then.” Kirk: “yeah”

Two plays later, 3rd & 19 Sweat beats his man, gets hooked and Williams hits Mims for the TD. After Sweat gets by him 54 looks at the back judge to see if there’s a flag. It’s just comical at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

The rulebook says a forward pass must go forward. If its sideways, it is not a forward pass.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, JBJ said:

Yep, that's the mechanic taught to both NCAA and TASO officials. 

Unlike @Eskimohorn, you sound like you've actually called football before. Were you a flank official, too, at some point? Some of these guys should sign themselves up immediately with their incomparable vision, being able to discern a 3-inch margin on a "lateral" pass.

18 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Stop with the "fix" talk already.  That's gaping pussy shit.  The refs are incompetent, we all already knew that.  They missed a ton of calls, as they do every game.  If we had somehow beat OU, their fans would be posting screenshots of shit the refs missed on us too.  There isn't a grand conspiracy, there's no one pulling strings behind the scenes.  Especially Bowlsby, lol.  Lemme get this straight, the guy who got totally punked in realignment is somehow organizing a conspiracy against ONE of the two teams that screwed him.  He's simultaneously incompetent enough to get screwed in realignment and competent enough to orchestrate a conspiracy involving MULTIPLE people in the Big12 HQ and the refs, knowing that if any word of it leaked it would be a total shitshow.  Occam's razor, what's more likely?  That??  Or that the refs just suck and OU got the benefit of some great bounces plus our defensive personnel are bad?  I realize we're all hurting and want some bad guy to lash out against but c'mon man, this is straight up aggy.  Don't be aggy, take the loss pussies and realize that our trend line improving, you don't cure the stink of Herman/Strong/Mack in half a season, and you can't put this on conspiracy.  JFC.

ONE of the two teams?  I hate to tell you this but ou is winning the or battle there.  We’ve taken 90% of the public pushback.  Rigged or just every 50/59 call went against us?  Idk

17 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

I saw quite a few OU holding calls that probably should've been flagged, but IDK why Big 12 officials would "have it in" for UT with OU leaving the conference too. I don't think there's any conspiracy which includes Bowlsby directing them to fuck us. At least, I hope there isn't. 

“Pissed at Texas but disappointed in ou”