Fuck Big 12 refs

taybo20

26 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Very convenient for all the payoffs

Were they upset that they didn't get penalized for celebrating in the same way we did?

I'd love to see that. Maybe someone who was at the game can shed some light on it. The TV crew is more interested in their graphics and promos than actually showing what it happening on the field.

39 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

He was on the far sideline (on camera), our sideline. He was the guy lined up at the line of scrimmage. I haven't re-watched to confirm he was the one making the spots yet, or to see which flags he threw. I did look back and see in comments on shaggy that he was fucking us with spots in games after the infamous OSU game. 

Kelly Deterding works for a bank in Lubbock, FYI, but did not graduate from Tech.

If he was on the visitor sideline then he was the HL and he absolutely fucked us on at least one spot.  There was a QB sneak I believe around midfield on 4th down where he had us short but thankfully the LJ on the other side has us with the 1st down.  That's just one instance.  All it takes is a foot here or there which may be unnoticeable to the everyday fan but it can completely change the outcome of a game.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I'd love to see that. Maybe someone who was at the game can shed some light on it. The TV crew is more interested in their graphics and promos than actually showing what it happening on the field.

I was at the game. The celebration penalty was honestly probably warranted. Texas did do the same thing after Jamison's fumble recovery, but none of the refs were looking that direction and noticed.

After Cook's fumble recovery, one ref watched the whole time as they ran down into the endzone and as soon as they got in front of the camera and started flexing or whatever, he threw the flag.

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

I was at the game. The celebration penalty was honestly probably warranted. Texas did do the same thing after Jamison's fumble recovery, but none of the refs were looking that direction and noticed.

After Cook's fumble recovery, one ref watched the whole time as they ran down into the endzone and as soon as they got in front of the camera and started flexing or whatever, he threw the flag.

Odd that TV couldn't be bothered to show us any of that, particularly after the penalty.

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

I'm pretty positive TCU did the same exact thing...gathering in front of the cameras in the end zone and hamming it up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

What about the penalty for "pushing a player into the bench area" or whatever they called?

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

What about the penalty for "pushing a player into the bench area" or whatever they called?

I didn't see that so can't really speak on it. 

The other bad one I noticed from the second deck was on the 4th and 1 when they gave TCU the timeout they never called. One of the TCU guards flinched badly, causing our DT to jump. If they would have called offsides on that I was going to lose my mind. 

I kind of missed this during the game, but when fatterson was running down the sidelines wanting a timeout before our endzone punt, and then they called time out, and then they reviewed the previous play and called it targeting on TCU, did they not charge TCU with the timeout? Later in the half I noticed they still had 3. Did the booth review pre-empt fatterson? 

27 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I kind of missed this during the game, but when fatterson was running down the sidelines wanting a timeout before our endzone punt, and then they called time out, and then they reviewed the previous play and called it targeting on TCU, did they not charge TCU with the timeout? Later in the half I noticed they still had 3. Did the booth review pre-empt fatterson? 

They added it back without comment.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, bullet said:

Replay was pretty awful in the game.  Can't get camera parts from China?

They had all the replays...it's just they won't show them because they don't fit the narrative of "Texas gets all the calls and doesn't get any bad calls against them".

I love on the late hit/unnecessary roughness against Duggan, where I think he slid late and Overshown or someone dove over him to try to avoid contact -- they were like "well, the thing is if you touch the QB, you're going to get flagged".  Got it, but you know, when Card gets his legs taken out 3 seconds after the play is blown dead, all is good.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I didn't see that so can't really speak on it. 

The other bad one I noticed from the second deck was on the 4th and 1 when they gave TCU the timeout they never called. One of the TCU guards flinched badly, causing our DT to jump. If they would have called offsides on that I was going to lose my mind. 

Replay did a great job of showing the Asst coach did indeed get the TO before the flinch (TCU)and offsides (TX).

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

They had all the replays...it's just they won't show them because they don't fit the narrative of "Texas gets all the calls and doesn't get any bad calls against them".

I love on the late hit/unnecessary roughness against Duggan, where I think he slid late and Overshown or someone dove over him to try to avoid contact -- they were like "well, the thing is if you touch the QB, you're going to get flagged".  Got it, but you know, when Card gets his legs taken out 3 seconds after the play is blown dead, all is good.

That call and explanation were utter bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

I do understand the college rule and NFL rule as it relates to ball position when touched.  I haven't seen a replay but didn't he grab/control the ball with 2 hands with one foot on the field of play?  that's possession for a receiver falling out of bounds.  why wouldn't it be possession for this situation?

if he was bobbling it in the field of play and then finally possessed it in the endzone it would be a touchback, correct?

A catch (or recovery in this case) has 3 requirements 

(1) must establish firm control with his hands or arms and (2) have a body part touch the ground inbounds, then (3) maintain control long enough for a "football move" or through contact with the ground.  Possession occurs regardless of whether the WR moves out-of-bounds before 3 or not as long as original control that was established inbounds is maintained.

----

This is much closer to a WR catching a ball inbounds.  If this was a TCU receiver and the ball was knocked out before his right foot lands in the endzone, it would have been an incomplete pass and not a fumble.  There was control out of the EZ, but no time for "football move," so no possession.

It's still a judgement call, but that is the standard.

----

Bobbling would have been a touchback for sure.

Edited by JBJ

2 hours ago, JBJ said:

A catch (or recovery in this case) has 3 requirements 

(1) must establish firm control with his hands or arms and (2) have a body part touch the ground inbounds, then (3) maintain control long enough for a "football move" or through contact with the ground.  Possession occurs regardless of whether the WR moves out-of-bounds before 3 or not as long as original control that was established inbounds is maintained.

----

So what I am reading here is possession occurs firm control and body part touch in bounds, which is what happened.  The TCU player had possession and the ball is downed  where he originally gained possession.  Are you saying that isn't what happened or are you arguing the rule is crappy and should be like NFL(I don't disagree with that)?

Replay did a great job of showing the Asst coach did indeed get the TO before the flinch (TCU)and offsides (TX).

Watch the replay again. The official marking it for play is incredibly aggressive to the point of simulating a snap. I would find it hard to believe he was silent when readying it for play.

25 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

So what I am reading here is possession occurs firm control and body part touch in bounds, which is what happened.  The TCU player had possession and the ball is downed  where he originally gained possession.  Are you saying that isn't what happened or are you arguing the rule is crappy and should be like NFL(I don't disagree with that)?

The possession occurs after a football move can be made.  It's the moment that a WR can drop the ball and it becomes a fumble instead of an incompletion.

My argument is that this happens sometime after the cover guy puts his right foot down, which is only a few frames after he first touches the ball.  If we were discussing a pass breakup it would certainly be ruled incomplete which is the same standard.

Edited by JBJ

37 minutes ago, JBJ said:

The possession occurs after a football move can be made.  It's the moment that a WR can drop the ball and it becomes a fumble instead of an incompletion.

My argument is that this happens sometime after the cover guy puts his right foot down, which is only a few frames after he first touches the ball.  If we were discussing a pass breakup it would certainly be ruled incomplete which is the same standard.

Not true by what was posted. If a receiver establishes control and one foot in bounds before going oob, he doesn’t have to make a football move- he just has to maintain possession.  Seems like the same interpretation would apply here to the goal line. Establish possession in bounds and maintain control. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Not true by what was posted. If a receiver establishes control and one foot in bounds before going oob, he doesn’t have to make a football move- he just has to maintain possession.  Seems like the same interpretation would apply here to the goal line. Establish possession in bounds and maintain control. 

You are just moving words around.  You establish control in bounds and maintain it out of bounds to have possession.  Control is a component of possession, not vice-versa and they aren't synonyms.  Look at my example of the WR getting the ball knocked loose, he may have had control, but he never possessed it.  

The best way I can put it is that this is not a catch.  He controls the ball in bounds but never possesses it:

odrop.0.gif

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

You are just moving words around.  You establish control in bounds and maintain it out of bounds to have possession.  Control is a component of possession, not vice-versa and they aren't synonyms.  Look at my example of the WR getting the ball knocked loose, he may have had control, but he never possessed it.  

The best way I can put it is that this is not a catch.  He controls the ball in bounds but never possesses it:

odrop.0.gif

there is a momentum exception.  lets say our player is running to make a fair catch and he catches it at the one but his momentum takes him into the end zone and he falls.  it wouldn't be a safety.  we would get the ball at the one.

13 hours ago, JBJ said:

odrop.0.gif

And none of that has anything to do with a scrimmage kick.  It's an entirely different rule.  One he has the ball in his hands it's dead right there regardless of momentum or any of that.  If he only touches it then it stays live but due to the illegal touching (best penalty ever) if the receiving team picks it up and runs with it, they are basically ensured of a positive outcome because the worst that can happen is the ball comes back to the spot where the illegal touching occurs.  There are no possession rules on a scrimmage kick except the muff rule is in effect.

• Fuck You 2

Just now, alphahorn said:

these cocksuckers are the fucking worst. they didn't even look at the receiver running out of bounds

oh no - they did - abc showed the freezeframe replay from 5 feet away showing the receiver running out on his own, with his foot ENTIRELY out of bounds and an explosion of white sideline paint when he planted

FUCKERY

2015 LEVEL FUCKERY

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

oh no - they did - abc showed the freezeframe replay from 5 feet away showing the receiver running out on his own, with his foot ENTIRELY out of bounds and an explosion of white sideline paint when he planted

FUCKERY

2015 LEVEL FUCKERY

and the back judge clearly watching...threw his hat, usually indicating wr out of play

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1