Aggy 2024: Still waiting on the Looch 44

golfclap

9 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

So much for this huge assistant salary pool that was going to be used to hire top-tier assistants that everyone wanted. 

Oh I’d bet they are spending it. Just not getting their money’s worth. Shocking, I know.   There is no other reason for these Duke guys to be slow playing them. 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Kevin Johns as an OC per ESPN efficiency: 

Duke '23: #36

Duke '22: #24

Memphis '21: #57

Memphis '20: #71

Memphis '19: #12

Texas Tech '18: #56

Western Michigan '17: #74

Indiana '16: #83

Indiana '15: #27

Indiana '14: #71

This would be such a lazy hire and they can do much better than this

spacer.png

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

They don't learn do they... Cushing was the coach at Northwestern that was implicated of knowing of the hazing issues going on but not doing anything about it.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2023/08/duke-football-adam-cushing-northwestern-hazing-mistreatment-allegations-race

On Wednesday, former Northwestern offensive lineman Ramon Diaz announced that he was filing a lawsuit against the university, alleging hazing and racial mistreatment while he was in the program. He implicates current Duke offensive line coach and run game coordinator Adam Cushing — the tight ends coach in Evanston, Ill., when Diaz was a player — for being aware of the incidents but not publicly acting against them.

Diaz's allegations revolve around the abuse he suffered during his four years as a Wildcat, largely because of his Mexican heritage. The mistreatment he highlights includes "racist, embarrassing, degrading, and harassing remarks" made by former assistant coaches Bret Ingalls and James Patton toward Diaz and other players, as well as sexualized acts similar to those alleged by other players.

Although Diaz did not directly accuse Cushing of mistreatment, he said that Cushing was often in Ingalls' presence when he made the aforementioned comments and "could have said anything," but didn't.

“Adam Cushing was there as well oftentimes, and joined in the laughter,” Diaz said to reporters at a Wednesday press conference in Evanston.

Cushing joined the Blue Devils in January 2021 after three years as the head coach at Eastern Illinois and 15 years in various roles at Northwestern from 2004-2018, including 10 years as offensive line coach. He was also one of the Wildcats' recruiting coordinators from 2008-2011.

Diaz is the ninth former Northwestern player to come forward against the university for allegations of mistreatment and hazing that, after an internal investigation, resulted in the firing of former Wildcats head coach Pat Fitzgerald, who has repeatedly denied knowing about the hazing incidents. 

No current players or coaches, including Cushing, are named as defendants in the lawsuit. Fitzgerald, Northwestern president Michael Schill, former president Morton Schapiro, athletic director Derrick Gragg and former athletic director and current ACC commissioner Jim Phillips are included in the lawsuit’s list of defendants.

Duke Athletics declined The Chronicle's request for comment.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Prepare your anus 3

3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Oh I’d bet they are spending it. Just not getting their money’s worth. Shocking, I know.   There is no other reason for these Duke guys to be slow playing them. 

They definitely aren't getting their money's worth.

Looks to me like it's going to be 2/3 of the previous Duke staff, a DL coach just fired by Florida, and maybe 1 or 2 assistants from aggy like Bryan-Gross Amiento. This has Herman level staff after he left UH. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Looks to me like it's going to be 2/3 of the previous Duke staff, a DL coach just fired by Florida, and maybe 1 or 2 assistants from aggy like Bryan-Gross Amiento. This has Herman level staff after he left UH. 

And for the low low price of 13mm 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Aggie - Fisher - Plan 2024 Synopsis, as I've come to hear about it:

Spoilered for the tl;dr crowd that doesn't give a shit and doesn't want to scroll.

Reveal hidden contents

So ATM panics that Fisher is going to beat a very beatable LSU and save his job for another cycle. Meanwhile, the aggie brass sees that Texas is surging towards an SEC entrance. They also have convinced themselves that waving a whole bunch of money around and telling anyone who will listen that they can pay whatever it takes for the best coaching fit, which will land them one of the big names.

So they rally the money and fire Fisher. The next thing they did was call Dan Campbell and offer him the job. That's the first sign that they have no idea what in the fuck they are doing. Campbell lets it be publicly known that he passed on the job. The only people who thought the notion of hiring an active NFL coach heading to the playoffs was realistic, the aggies, are surprised by his dismissal. 

Then ATM calls every "name" coach that they can find. All of them want Fisher money or better and the same guarantees, or they don't even take the calls. Most didn't take the calls. 

So then the search starts to get practical, with names like Fisch, Deboer and Traylor being floated. The money takes a heaving dump on most of those names, in part because each of those coaches has the balls to want to hire their own staff. Well, not Deboer. He didn't even need to use the aggies for leverage regarding a raise, so he/his agent never acknowledged the outreach. 

Bjork, sensing an opportunity to save the day and de-risk his initial push to fire Jimbo and hire a stud, works out a deal with Stoops. The money shits on that.

Meanwhile, from day one and as discussed in real time just after Fisher's firing on this board, Mike Elko is working his aggie contacts to get the gig. Duke shows up with a big offer that he verbally accepts. The aggies come back later to talk and Elko guarantees a turnkey solution. He'll take the job for a high price and a guaranteed assistant coach and analyst money pool. In taking the role and returning, he'll keep the beloved staff members around, fire the offensive malcontents, and bring most of his Duke staff with him. 

The aggies breathe a sigh of relief, as they've got their man, he's been there all along and loyal, and he's going to hit the ground running, playing catch-up in the portal, keeping the team intact, and winning in recruiting.

Only problem is that Elko really is pretty aggie. He let his alligator mouth outrun his rabbit ass when it comes to being able to cover what he claimed. The turnkey staff turns him down. He doesn't have an exciting backup plan. He's got a weak network and he's located firmly in a place now viewed as a real CFB cesspool. They're now shadowboxing trying to solve the staff plan quickly.

They're actively burning this thing down as we all watch. It's a bonfire of their own vanities. The portal candidates aren't just going to be lured by big money. Many of the big time portal guys can get money anywhere and they to believe they can get to the NFL too. The guys on campus are tired of hearing the same old shit. Recruits can get comparable NIL anywhere and at least know who their coordinator and position coaches are going to be. ATM has no differentiators other than the "traditions" and folksy old College Station. That shit is going to be super winning for them with the 2 and 3 stars who "really want to be ags" and they'll eat that shit up. 

These rubes think they're heading to 10+ wins in 2024. That win total might take 2 years if things don't start trending differently asap.

The thing most puzzling to me about the whole thing...well maybe not the MOST puzzling...but definitely puzzling, is that's it's fairly obvious to anybody paying attention the entire thing needs to be blown up.  Complete roster overhaul and fresh set of coaches that weren't compicit in the culture rot.  Yet it seems like the 2 biggest priorities were keeping "key assistants" as well as the 2022 recruiting class on campus that has played a hand in going 5-7 and 7-5 the last 2 seasons.  They are treating it like just a few tweaks are needed.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

They don't learn do they... Cushing was the coach at Northwestern that was implicated of knowing of the hazing issues going on but not doing anything about it.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2023/08/duke-football-adam-cushing-northwestern-hazing-mistreatment-allegations-race

In all fairness, this would be about the 20th bullet point down on similar shit that Steve Adazzio did.

But my man looks like a psychopath in this pic:

Adam Cushing Headshot

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Kevin Johns as an OC per ESPN efficiency: 

Duke '23: #36

Duke '22: #24

Memphis '21: #57

Memphis '20: #71

Memphis '19: #12

Texas Tech '18: #56

Western Michigan '17: #74

Indiana '16: #83

Indiana '15: #27

Indiana '14: #71

This would be such a lazy hire and they can do much better than this. 

Can they?

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:
8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Texas could’ve given Charlie Strong or Tom Herman $20 million assistant pools and they still would’ve hired god awful coaching staffs. It’s not about the budget. Those guys just have no fucking clue how to run an organization.

I think these guys just have a shitty assistant rolodex too. 

Herman had no big name assistants on his UH staff, Strong had maybe 1 big name assistant at Louisville (Clint Hurtt) who was in NCAA trouble, and Elko's rolodex is a bunch of Duke level assistants and shitty holdovers from aggy. 

Sark has been all over the place at P5 programs, NFL, etc. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Texas could’ve given Charlie Strong or Tom Herman $20 million assistant pools and they still would’ve hired god awful coaching staffs. It’s not about the budget. Those guys just have no fucking clue how to run an organization.

Elko is cementing himself firmly in their tier with these coaching hires and when you combine that with his talk about not being able to handle calling the defense and being a HC, it looks like Texas fans could be in store for a very fun next few years watching this unfold. 

In Chuckle's defense he did try to hire a good OC, and Patterson told him his check wasn't that big.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

I believe the OC Charlie wanted was Chad Morris. 

So his OC hires he wanted were Chad Morris, ended up being Shawn Watson, then it was Sterlin Gilbert. Needless to say, the dude just sucked at picking an offensive coordinator. 

Chad Morris was fucking awful as an OC at Arkansas and then Auburn for a year once he was fired as a HC. 

There is no defending the hire of Shawn Watson or blaming Patterson (who was a disaster) for that decision.  You could give me a budget of $200k and I'd go to lower level or Texas high school ranks and make a 10x better hire.  Watson was paid a decent amount in any event.

Strong is a regard.

Edited by Frank Drebin

9 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

So his OC hires he wanted were Chad Morris, ended up being Shawn Watson, then it was Sterlin Gilbert. Needless to say, the dude just sucked at picking an offensive coordinator. 

Chad Morris was fucking awful as an OC at Arkansas and then Auburn for a year once he was fired as a HC. 

Yeah but at the time Morris was the highest paid OC in the country and everyone was trying to hire him away from Clemson.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Yeah but at the time Morris was the highest paid OC in the country and everyone was trying to hire him away from Clemson.

For sure but I think it's pretty questionable now that Morris is actually a good OC. 

My guess is Strong hiring Morris would have gone much like his other OC hires. 

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

currently:

• DL - Sean Spencer (was making $1m at Florida, nothing i've seen has said he was getting the Co-DC title)
  • LB - ???
  • Edge/OLB -
  • DB - Brian Gross-Armeiento (holdover, was making $450k)
  • DB - ???
  • OC/QB - Kevin Johns (Duke)
  • OL - ???
  • RB - Trooper Taylor (Duke)
  • TE - ???
  • WR - ???

with the AHC, Co OC, Co DC x2 and potential ST Coordinator titles still to be given out.

so, i am assuming they are absolutely big game hunting at the remaining positions and going to try to lure an OL coach with the co OC title, have some kind of recruiter at TE/WR and then bring in someone with the co DC tag at LB?

as it stands they have 1 top tier recruiter on staff (Spencer) and a whole lot of question marks.

at this point it sure seems like everyone is using them to get raises where they are or that assistant coach pool really is shit. the SMART thing for them to do would be to wait and poach dudes after bowl season, but there is no way they are actually doing that.

---

wonder if they try to keep Coley (was making $950k) since he could potentially slot into the WR or TE role and could save them some money big picture and is flexible offensively since he's mainly a bag man/recruiter not a developer/coach.

OL - highest paid OL coaches

no clue what they try to do here, but knowing them they will want to make a splash so someone like the LSU coach (Brad Davis, no co OC title) or Alex Atkins from FSU (OC title, no long history with Norvell) or

TE - highest paid TE coaches

Coley is the 4th highest paid TE coach.

LB - highest paid LB coaches

if they want to make a splash here is where they can. the top guys all make over $1.5m You know they would love to pull someone like Matt House away from LSU. this would require a co DC title.

DB - highest paid DB coaches

---

fucking Trooper Taylor kills me. you look at his coaching history and he is straight up a bagman. has coached WR, CB and RB in the last decade alone. idk what juice a 53 year old whose spent the last decade in the wilderness (Ark State, and Duke) brings over Marquel Blackwell but good luck. this hire alone shows how just terrible their coaching network is. at least Tom Herman was able to moneywhip Stan Drayton to come back to college from the NFL.

Spoiler

image.png.164f84c3083d3f1e1f2c262f8117d7a3.png

Duke Coach stuff

Duke's OL Coach is Adam Cushing - Coaching history:

Spoiler

image.png.6599c73e829f5760ba2426563b3463a9.png

Duke's TE coach is also their ST Coordinator - Patrick Dougherty - coaching history:

Spoiler

image.png.959441a1aa68e54dccf313ed64b70d63.png

WR coach is someone named Zohn Burdern - coaching history:

Spoiler

image.png.e1fa295e3013afdab5e14dedc8b6162e.png

christ, as fired up as we were about Tom Herman's comfort hires this is somehow even worse. they don't have a recruiter on the level of Beck/Drayton yet on offense. Todd Orlando/Naivar was someone you could at least talk yourself into on defense then. Oscar Giles was a known quantity.

They should absolutely reject hiring fucking Trooper Taylor. just an absolute swing and miss all the way around.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

It's all about alignment guys, you'll see. 

At least Herman won 13 games one season with a wide receiver at QB.

Elko beat a Clemson team, at home, that ended up not being as good as expected. They beat NC State as well.

Now he's taking his unproven bunch of coaches to the SEC West with massive and immediate expectations on all of them.

I'm gonna stock up on a variety of Smartfood this offseason.

13 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Who was the OC he tried to hire? I can't remember. Chad Morris? 

It's pretty questionable if he's actually a good OC now. 

11 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yes, it was Morris, who would've been a monumental upgrade over Shawn Watson. Morris hasn't been successful anywhere he's gone after taking the SMU gig. Left for Arkansas after a 7-5 season on the Hilltop. I wonder if he'd still be there churning out 7-5 type records if he'd just stayed in Dallas. Perhaps. If he doesn't leave for Arkansas, SMU doesn't hire Sonny Dykes, who was better and left for TCU, which led to Rhett Lashlee, who might be the best of the bunch.

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

For sure but I think it's pretty questionable now that Morris is actually a good OC. 

My guess is Strong hiring Morris would have gone much like his other OC hires. 

True. Morris wasn't bringing Deshaun Watson with him. Instead, he would've had the 18-Wheeler.

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

currently:

• DL - Sean Spencer (was making $1m at Florida, nothing i've seen has said he was getting the Co-DC title)
  • LB - ???
  • Edge/OLB -
  • DB - ???
  • OL - ???
  • TE - ???
  • WR - ???

with the AHC, Co OC, Co DC x2 and potential ST Coordinator titles still to be given out.

so, i am assuming they are absolutely big game hunting at the remaining positions and going to try to lure an OL coach with the co OC title, have some kind of recruiter at TE/WR and then bring in someone with the co DC tag at LB?

as it stands they have 1 top tier recruiter on staff (Spencer) and a whole lot of question marks.

at this point it sure seems like everyone is using them to get raises where they are or that assistant coach pool really is shit. the SMART thing for them to do would be to wait and poach dudes after bowl season, but there is no way they are actually doing that.

---

wonder if they try to keep Coley (was making $950k) since he could potentially slot into the WR or TE role and could save them some money big picture and is flexible offensively since he's mainly a bag man/recruiter not a developer/coach.

no clue what they try to do here, but knowing them they will want to make a splash so someone like the LSU coach (Brad Davis, no co OC title) or Alex Atkins from FSU (OC title, no long history with Norvell) or

if they want to make a splash here is where they can. the top guys all make over $1.5m You know they would love to pull someone like Matt House away from LSU. this would require a co DC title.

---

fucking Trooper Taylor kills me. you look at his coaching history and he is straight up a bagman. has coached WR, CB and RB in the last decade alone. idk what juice a 53 year old whose spent the last decade in the wilderness (Ark State, and Duke) brings over Marquel Blackwell but good luck. this hire alone shows how just terrible their coaching network is. at least Tom Herman was able to moneywhip Stan Drayton to come back to college from the NFL.

Reveal hidden contents

Duke Coach stuff

Reveal hidden contents

Duke's TE coach is also their ST Coordinator - Patrick Dougherty - coaching history:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

christ, as fired up as we were about Tom Herman's comfort hires this is somehow even worse. they don't have a recruiter on the level of Beck/Drayton yet on offense. Todd Orlando/Naivar was someone you could at least talk yourself into on defense then. Oscar Giles was a known quantity.

They should absolutely reject hiring fucking Trooper Taylor. just an absolute swing and miss all the way around.

Cushing is in, Johns isn't

The big thing with Herman is that even though he was a complete fucking moron and made terrible assistant hires his floor was still 7-10 wins because he's a pretty good OC. Probably not elite but good.

That's what amazes me about this Elko hire. The way you set a high floor with a coach like Elko is to maximize his strength which is him as DC. But apparently, he's not even going to call plays. 

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Cushing is in, Johns isn't

Johns isn't in yet but they're bringing almost the entire Duke offensive staff. I don't think it would be surprising if Johns follows now. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

That's what amazes me about this Elko hire. The way you set a high floor with a coach like Elko is to maximize his strength which is him as DC. But apparently he's not even going to call plays. 

That can change in a hurry though.   Venables took over in year one when he realized what everyone else already knew which was that Roof was a jag.  

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

That can change in a hurry though.   Venables took over in year one when he realized what everyone else already knew which was that Roof was a jag.  

Maybe but like I said a couple weeks ago the Duke reporters made it sound like Elko was having a very difficult time balancing HC duties and DC duties. 

Sounds to me like it's something he simply can't accomplish. 

52 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

The thing most puzzling to me about the whole thing...well maybe not the MOST puzzling...but definitely puzzling, is that's it's fairly obvious to anybody paying attention the entire thing needs to be blown up.  Complete roster overhaul and fresh set of coaches that weren't compicit in the culture rot.  Yet it seems like the 2 biggest priorities were keeping "key assistants" as well as the 2022 recruiting class on campus that has played a hand in going 5-7 and 7-5 the last 2 seasons.  They are treating it like just a few tweaks are needed.

The cake is baked.

19 minutes ago, NoName said:

currently:

• LB - ???
  • Edge/OLB -
  • DB - ???
  • OL - ???
  • TE - ???
  • WR - ???

---

---

Reveal hidden contents

Duke Coach stuff

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

updated to include Cushing not Johnes and the DB coach

currently:

• LB - ???
  • Edge/OLB -
  • *DB - Brian Gross-Armeiento (holdover, was making $450k, rumored by Looch)
  • CB - Ishmael Aristide (Duke)
  • OC/QB - ???
  • OL - Adam Cushing (Duke, no news on OC title though)
  • *RB - Trooper Taylor (Duke, rumored)
  • TE - ???
  • WR - ???

with the AHC, Co OC x2, Co DC x2 and potential ST Coordinator titles still to be given out.

so, i am assuming they are absolutely big game hunting at the remaining positions and going to try to lure an QB coach with the co OC title, have some kind of recruiter at TE/WR and then bring in someone with the co DC tag at LB?

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Tarp is also saying Duke RB coach Trooper Taylor is expected to follow Elko.

This guy was a terrific bagman 15 years ago with Tennessee and Auburn. Terrible other than that. He's going to be Elko's Dameyune Craig in an era when that's no longer how it gets done.

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah, if the salary pool is correct. 

The problem is it looks to me like Elko has the Tom Herman problem of wanting to hire his guys from lesser schools. The 1 thing Sark did very well is he did go out and hire some big names as assistants. 

It helps that Sarkisian was on two different staff in which the HC was always hiring the best of the best. That has to give him some wisdom when it comes to personnel management staff-wise.

58 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

In Chuckle's defense he did try to hire a good OC, and Patterson told him his check wasn't that big.

This is a canard that gets thrown out onto the boards about every 6 months. Strong fed some info through backchannels about talking to Morris and not being able to afford him. It's all bullshit and, as much as we can all despise Patterson, had nothing to do with Patterson. Strong wanted to bring Watson with him. It was suggested to him that he should try to do better. He waited 3 weeks, fed that bullshit about talking to "top men" the media, and then served us up the shit sandwich of Shawn Watson anyway. I knew the moment that Watson was hired that Texas was proper fucked with Chuckles. 

• Hook 'Em 2