Aggy 2024: Still waiting on the Looch 44

golfclap

aggy has some major issues and they were all predicted in this thread. 

1) Their OL can't block in pass pro. 

2) Their secondary is fucking awful. 374 passing yards for Miami and it could have been about 450 if not for drops. A&M fans are pissed that Durkin continues to only rush 3 but I don't think they have any option. They need bodies on the backend to try and protect the secondary. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/8/2022 at 11:59 PM, Bruh Man said:

Because I realize without a very good QB it is extremely difficult to win big in modern CFB. I was never high on King, Calzada, or Mond but I'm extremely bullish on Weigman. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Jumbo is forced to make some changes to the offense if it flutters throughout the season which all of us obviously do not want to see. Other than that, they have a lot of pieces in place already in the trenches/skill positions to make a playoff run starting next season. 

Here's a good start. Playoff run hit a speed bump yesterday I guess. 

• Haha 7

Looking forward to next year, their big hopes are (1) the offense taking a step forward headlined by Weigman, Stewart, Thomas, Green, Owens, and potentially like 7 of their top 8 OL (assuming guys like Fatheree and Foster return), (2) hiring a new DC who'll find a way to actually make their ridiculous DL talent impactful, and (3) having an easier schedule

Those are the potential tailwinds 

However, the potential headwinds are a bunch of seniors potentially leaving (some could return for 5th or 6th years, but some of these guys are definitely leaving)

McKinnley Jackson

Layden Robinson

Ainias Smith

Fadill Diggs

Demani Richardson

Josh DeBerry (the transfer from BC)

Isaiah Raikes

Edgerrin Cooper

They're also likely losing Shemar Turner to the draft early, which would mean likely losing three starters on the DL

Here are some other underclassmen who will be draft eligible. None of them scream leaving early to me, but losing any of them would be a blow:

Tyreek Chappell

Bryce Foster

Reuben Fatheree

Jardin Gilbert

Moose Muhammad

Albert Regis

It wouldn't surprise me if they also lose Jake Johnson if his brother Max transfers somewhere to start (FSU?)

This is all before you get to the potential of transfers if the locker room morale gets bad enough, which I'm not pricing in just quite yet

Edited by Fud
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

13 minutes ago, Fud said:

Looking forward to next year, their big hopes are (1) the offense taking a step forward headlined by Weigman, Stewart, Thomas, Green, Owens, and potentially like 7 of their top 8 OL (assuming guys like Fatheree and Foster return), (2) hiring a new DC who'll find a way to actually make their ridiculous DL talent impactful, and (3) having an easier schedule

Those are the potential tailwinds 

However, the potential headwinds are a bunch of seniors potentially leaving (some could return for 5th or 6th years, but some of these guys are definitely leaving)

McKinnley Jackson

Layden Robinson

Ainias Smith

Fadill Diggs

Demani Richardson

Josh DeBerry (the transfer from BC)

Isaiah Raikes

Edgerrin Cooper

They're also likely losing Shemar Turner to the draft early, which would mean likely losing three starters on the DL

Here are some other underclassmen who will be draft eligible. None of them scream leaving early to me, but losing any of them would be a blow:

Tyreek Chappell

Bryce Foster

Reuben Fatheree

Jardin Gilbert

Moose Muhammad

Albert Regis

It wouldn't surprise me if they also lose Jake Johnson if his brother Max transfers somewhere to start (FSU?)

This is all before you get to the potential of transfers if the locker room morale gets bad enough, which I'm not pricing in just quite yet

Good, conservative breakdown. I've always assumed that they're going to have some very important talent head for the exits after this season, simply because of culture rot. I think a big part of their overall underperformance, and I believe they're absolutely going to continue to underperform this season, is related to the complete lack of accountability from the coaching staff due to transfer fears. That leads to poor discipline off the field and a lack of resolve on it. 

It looks like they got out of Miami without significant injuries, so they're threading that needle through 2 games. I expect the wheels to come off anyway, but if they lose Weigman, any of the OL, a CB or an LB, they're then attempting to play with mortal wounds in the SEC. York is already like playing with an injury, as he's been so bad that it's clear he's going to be picked on repeatedly through this season and ATM appears to not be able to do anything about it. How bad are the players behind that guy? Shit.

• Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

York is already like playing with an injury, as he's been so bad that it's clear he's going to be picked on repeatedly through this season and ATM appears to not be able to do anything about it. How bad are the players behind that guy? Shit.

Do they even have any players behind him?

28 minutes ago, Fud said:

(3) having an easier schedule

I'm not so sure about this. 

They substitute Notre Dame for Miami as their only real non-conference game (which is likely an upgrade in competition), they have to play at Florida who might actually be competent by then, at Auburn in year #2 under Freeze, and then I'm not sure trading out Alabama for us makes their schedule any easier. Granted, they get their biggest games at home - LSU, Texas, and Notre Dame - but I don't know that it's any easier than this year's slate in what appears to be a (relatively) down SEC.

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Do they even have any players behind him?

Chris Russell Jr- a 5th year senior who's played a lot who I figured would start this year, but he appears to have gotten passed up

Martrell Harris- a soph who hasn't played much 

With York emerging, their depth isn't quite as dire as I'd thought it was in the offseason, by one body at least