Dedicated Stranger Things Series Thread

Baboontyme

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

I thought it was made clear that the Matthew Modine character died...what am I missing there?  

I thought that too but apparently whoever the Hawkins lab employee was that Eleven and one of the other lab kids went and visited while Eleven was in Chicago said he was still alive.   

I thought that too but apparently whoever the Hawkins lab employee was that Eleven and one of the other lab kids went and visited while Eleven was in Chicago said he was still alive.   

Which is why he’s “The American” in the Russian prison. How else would the Russians have known where to have gone to try and open the Gate?

1 minute ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Hide contents

Which is why he’s “The American” in the Russian prison. How else would the Russians have known where to have gone to try and open the Gate?

Spoiler

Yeah. Makes perfect sense.  I had just completely forgotten that detail in the almost two years since season 2. 

2 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Just finished after watching it over the long weekend. The final 3 episodes did a lot to help strengthen the season overall. Halfway through my wife & I were both beginning to get a little bored & nervous about their ability to finish strong but to their credit they did. The one complaint we both had isn't anything unique to Stranger Things: as they continue to expand the number of characters it's becoming more & more of a challenge to develop them on a remotely even level. Will was almost an afterthought this season. Same with Lucas. Hopefully the Duffer Bros will find a way to tighten things up a bit in S4. 

Will and Lucas aren’t really needed anymore.  They’re redundant as characters and other newer characters like robin or max add more to the show.  Will’s only role is to inform them when the monsters are near but is that really necessary.    Lucas’ main contribution was identifying the fireworks which actually could have been anyone and the fireworks could have dropped from the story without much of a difference.  Susie was on for 5 minutes and had a bigger role at least as comic relief. 

Glad they brought back Murray.  He’s the best non-main character. 

I get the hierarchy of the cast. And the way characters have evolved. No character has changed more than Steven. S1 he's arguable the 2nd most evil/threatening character in the show behind the Demogorgon. By S3 he's a pretty boy, airheaded loser, befriended by the nerds who take pity on him, & his primary role is comic relief. I'd be curious to know if that was the Duffens' plans all along or they just discovered his acting ability provided more opportunities.

Will and Lucas not being needed anymore is probably an inevitability & true of any childhood friendship. The series was based around their initial friendship & love for one another. If they continue to be reduced to background then they should at least kill them off & give them the opportunity for a heroic ending

Edited by GhostOfTomJoad

They kill off Lucas, who is going to fire the wrist rocket the requisite once per season? Also, he was pretty involved this season, as the Doctor of Love to Mike. Will, OTOH, other than his neck thingy and bemoaning the loss of the DnD group(which had a purpose, a longing for a simpler time before he was traumatized), did kind of fade into the background some. If any of the original main cast bites it, he would be the logical one, as he is forever scarred. Lucas dying, would serve little purpose, especially since he did not die first.

3 hours ago, bamachine said:

They kill off Lucas, who is going to fire the wrist rocket the requisite once per season? Also, he was pretty involved this season, as the Doctor of Love to Mike. Will, OTOH, other than his neck thingy and bemoaning the loss of the DnD group(which had a purpose, a longing for a simpler time before he was traumatized), did kind of fade into the background some. If any of the original main cast bites it, he would be the logical one, as he is forever scarred. Lucas dying, would serve little purpose, especially since he did not die first.

They give lines and roles to Lucas and Will but they could transfer it to other characters or write it out of the story.  

With Robin (Maya Hawke) getting so much public attention, I can't see them leaving her out of future seasons, which will continue to diminish other redundant characters. Lucas' younger sister was also enjoyable even moreso than Lucas.  She's not going anywhere.

I'm cool if they keep all of the characters but I wish they would give them more to do.  That becomes a challenge when you have 4-6 main characters to follow.

Do you dickheads want more story or more character development? Fuck.

The kids characters are meant to be an example of what you, or anyone else watching, can juxtapose themselves onto. We all experienced something like what they went through. No, not the goddamn monsters or the Russians. But the changing dynamic as we grew up and learned to appreciate the opposite gender. Every person has something in their past to grapple with.

The duffers have a limited amount of space to fit everything together. They are advancing the story and trying to develop characters where they can. The entirety of the stranger things universe is about the traumas humans experience and how they are dealt with in the moment. There isn't time in the moment to "figure it out." Only act on whatever is in front of you.

• Like 2

I watched all 8 episodes last night.  Halfway through I was thinking it wasn't as good as the previous seasons, but it ended really strong.  I liked it overall.

Erica gets on my nerves.  I could see Suzie getting more time in season 4, maybe coming to visit for the holidays or something.

Guest Lobo

The season has some marked dips, but overall it's  better than S. 2 and only slightly behind S. 1  

Spoiler

The American is Mayor Kline.  Hopper is in the Upside Down World.  Dr. Brennen would be attached to the next team trying to breakthrough to the other world (with or without his cooperation).  They wouldn't waste his talents in some Kamchatka prison, he'd be forced into working with/for them).  No way one of the Soviet spies on his way outta town, after the jig was up, wouldn't pickup the Mayor and get him outta there as they exfiltrated.  They're not gonna leave the one guy who knows a lot (not all, not even most, but a fair chunk) about what they were up to in Hawkins and how they got it done to just stay there blowing in the wind.  Plus that guy obviously talks, the Russians and the Americans know it.  If it's not Mayor Kline, my second guess is "The American" refers to a sleeper agent who had been in Hawkins, near the laboratory the whole time.  Not so much because of their crossover into the upside down world, but it was just a person there since the 60's or 70's just living as a Hawkins person as they would plant people near all national nuclear laboratories.  Just so happens Hawkins had way cooler shit going on that Fermi or Los Alamos, et. al.  The sleeper was activated by the Kremlin, just the Mind Flayer  activates its subjects, prior to the mall construction.  It was somebody we've already seen many times on the show, somebody we think is from Indiana but is actually from the USSR.  That person is still called "The American" because they assimilated too well and didn't do their job in helping achieve their goals at Starcourt Mall.  For this, they were brought back with the surviving agents after the bunker was compromised.  And they rot in prison until they can figure out if they have some use to the Kremlin still.  It's somebody we've seen many times on the show already and just assumed they were a regular Hoosier.  I'm still voting it's Kline though.  So they run him as a puppet for something else.  Brennen is working for them somewhere else and Hooper needs Ele's help to escape the upside down world.  And that's how she gets her powers back, when she needs to do it to help him.  

Just finished Season 3; the traction this show has is mind bottling.  I loved Season 1 because of the nostalgia production and unique story. Season 2 kind of the same, but dropped off a bit.  But now we are into Season 3 with a full on Russian military base under Indiana, with kids zipping around undetected or outsmarting those nasty Russkies? I can suspend disbelief to get into a show easy, but this one just seemed like an 80's nostalgia trip with some cardboard villains (Russian general, Terminator) and teen relationship awkwardness thrown in for good measure.

Fuck, what I know, my 13 year old daughter is obsessed with the show.  She watched it from 12 midnight to 6 am as soon as it dropped. They've done a great job assembling a teenage group of kids doing extraordinary things, while trying to figure out relationships, etc.  Tapping into the whole Spielberg thing, fine, it works, I get it.  But as a (sometimes) adult I don't get how the show has tapped into other adults to the point of some of the glowing posts on this thread.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

Just finished Season 3; the traction this show has is mind bottling.  I loved Season 1 because of the nostalgia production and unique story. Season 2 kind of the same, but dropped off a bit.  But now we are into Season 3 with a full on Russian military base under Indiana, with kids zipping around undetected or outsmarting those nasty Russkies? I can suspend disbelief to get into a show easy, but this one just seemed like an 80's nostalgia trip with some cardboard villains (Russian general, Terminator) and teen relationship awkwardness thrown in for good measure.

Fuck, what I know, my 13 year old daughter is obsessed with the show.  She watched it from 12 midnight to 6 am as soon as it dropped. They've done a great job assembling a teenage group of kids doing extraordinary things, while trying to figure out relationships, etc.  Tapping into the whole Spielberg thing, fine, it works, I get it.  But as a (sometimes) adult I don't get how the show has tapped into other adults to the point of some of the glowing posts on this thread.

Cooler than dragons and zombies imo.

• Like 3

Some of us were growing up in the 80's. Nostalgia is a powerful drug. I'm into the the setting probably more than the story. Everything about the mall in season 3 gives me the warm fuzzies 

Every reference makes me smile. I don't understand how the younger crowd can even get most of the references being thrown out.

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Deej said:

Some of us were growing up in the 80's. Nostalgia is a powerful drug. I'm into the the setting probably more than the story. Everything about the mall in season 3 gives me the warm fuzzies 

Every reference makes me smile. I don't understand how the younger crowd can even get most of the references being thrown out.

I did too. I get the nostalgia.  But in Season 3 I found myself bored after saying "Hey, Sam Goody!" over and over.  Last few episodes were fun though.

My daughter only cares bout the Mike and Elle relationship.  The rest is meaningless to her, though she does like Hopper (as we all do).

Edited by Mach 1

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

With Robin (Maya Hawke) getting so much public attention, I can't see them leaving her out of future seasons, which will continue to diminish other redundant characters.

Damn, I didn't realize who she was until I read your post. I thought she looked familiar but never bothered to IMDB the actress playing Robin. She does have a strong resemblance to Uma

5 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

I did too. I get the nostalgia.  But in Season 3 I found myself bored after saying "Hey, Sam Goody!" over and over.  Last few episodes were fun though.

My daughter only cares bout the Mike and Elle relationship.  The rest is meaningless.

I thought I only saw the Sam Goody reference once. 

At one point, during the final battle, there was a mannequin with a Where's Waldo outfit. I laughed out loud. 

And if Maya Hawke worked at the Swenson's in my mall,  I'd have been eating ice cream every day 

Edited by Deej

1 minute ago, F250 said:

Damn, I didn't realize who she was until I read your post. I thought she looked familiar but never bothered to IMDB the actress playing Robin. She does have a strong resemblance to Uma

Yep, but when you see her next to Ethan, she looks just like him.

It is too easy for Hopper to be the American in the Russian prison. That was a curveball thrown at us. I think the American is Modine. I think Hopper is in the upside down world. I don’t think it is a coincidence they played that version of We Could Be Hero’s again and I think they are giving us a hint. 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Since I guess we don't have to spoiler that shit anymore, the American is Kline.  

Kline was taken into custody by US federal officials as seen in the "Cutting Edge" exclusive about Hawkins. If it's not Hopper, it's either Brenner or someone we haven't seen on screen yet.

1 hour ago, Clintonaldo said:

It is too easy for Hopper to be the American in the Russian prison. That was a curveball thrown at us. I think the American is Modine. I think Hopper is in the upside down world. I don’t think it is a coincidence they played that version of We Could Be Hero’s again and I think they are giving us a hint. 

I vote for these answers as well.

Finished it last night - easily better than S2, close to S1

Highlights:

- Steve, Robin, Dustin - greatness all around. 

- Hopper, Joyce and Murray with the Russian. Hilarious and good

- the character arcs of Steve, Jonathon, Nancy, Eleven have been really good. Hopper also. Love seeing Nancy being the one to find the guns and unload

- the final letter was perfect. Not only the words but the visual of Hopper walking around trying to write it. That’s parenthood... you have no idea what you’re doing, just trying to do your best. 

Negatives:

- the non-alien stuff was a little too unrealistic, specifically with the Russians and sneaking through their tunnels with relative ease. 

- Erica’s character was extremely one dimensional (combative). 

16 hours ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

Kline was taken into custody by US federal officials as seen in the "Cutting Edge" exclusive about Hawkins. If it's not Hopper, it's either Brenner or someone we haven't seen on screen yet.

Yep, methinks it is Brenner, which is how they knew to go to Hawkins in the first place. They have had him since the end of S1. He likely knew his project was toast in the US and ran to the Ruskies. Of course, they keep him locked up when they do not need anything from him. He likely does not care, as long as he gets to do mad science on occasion.

Guest Lobo

I guess I need to watch this "Cutting Edge" special.  My DVR is all filled up with Maury Povich.  My working theory was staying up too late to finish the series whilst enjoying some wine figuring out that you can spell (almost!) 'Kremlin" with Larry Kline.  Anyway, yes...now I remember that he's outta the picture for the most part.  

I just don't see the Soviets wasting Dr. Brennan away in some random cell way beyond Siberia.  Either force him to work, convert him, or kill him.  A man of that caliber doesn't belong sitting in a cell as the next piece of fodder for a demagorgue.  Sure, they passed over him this one time we saw, but for all we know he's still in the rotation.  If their government wanted him dead, they've had two years.  If they needed his help, they've had two years to flip him or force him or bribe him into assistance.  

I think as the American is somebody who was living as "The American" near Indiana as a soviet sleeper agent.  They fucked up, since that whole thing from the Mall to the Upside Down went tits-up.  So they're back there until they can figure out how to exploit their experience.  A guy like Brennan is just like Alexei, you figure shit out from them...you don't just lock them up and try to scare them everyday.  That accomplishes nothing.  

Finished last night, I thought S3 was definitely better than S2 and almost as good as S1.  

2 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Hopper jumped into the burning vagina.  He's not dead, yet. 

Yup, they showed the cleanroom-suit rooskies getting incinerated, but not Hopper.  He just disappeared.  He'll be back.

Edited by utee94

On 7/8/2019 at 7:00 PM, Message Board User said:

Yeah...I loved this season. Great bounce back from the season 2 fan service we got(that I enjoyed but not as much as season 1). But that part pissed me off. Like, what the fuck. “Oh Steve, I was so obsessed with you in high school! You were such a hot shot that everyone wanted to be with!” Setting Steve up who probably hasn’t gotten laid in forever. Then she’s all “haha jk! I’m a lesbian!” I mean, come on Duffer dudes. Did you really have to throw in some LGBTQ shit in there? Let Steve get his weasel greased for Christ sakes 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Hopper jumped into the burning vagina.  He's not dead, yet. 

will he and barb raise their child in the underground?  that’ll be one hardass kid. 

*upside down.  my brain is clogged with malted hops and bong resin. 

Edited by futureman

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

Yeah...I loved this season. Great bounce back from the season 2 fan service we got(that I enjoyed but not as much as season 1). But that part pissed me off. Like, what the fuck. “Oh Steve, I was so obsessed with you in high school! You were such a hot shot that everyone wanted to be with!” Setting Steve up who probably hasn’t gotten laid in forever. Then she’s all “haha jk! I’m a lesbian!” I mean, come on Duffer dudes. Did you really have to throw in some LGBTQ shit in there? Let Steve get his weasel greased for Christ sakes 

Steve is getting his plot armor from being sexually frustrated. He is like a magical being right now. Once he dips his wick again, look for him to bite the dust soon after. Also, there were gays and lesbians back in the 80's, they just did not flaunt it as much as current day. We had at least one of each in my high school class, at least we were pretty sure they were but they did not come out and declare it. The guy hung out with girls and the girl hung out with guys but never dated/hooked up with any of them. They both showed the classic signs but never verbally admitted it.