Dedicated Stranger Things Series Thread

Baboontyme

Clearly didn't keep up with thread as I was surprised by the TBC ending. This show asks me to buy in to all sorts of unbelievable things, but that 5'5" chode as bball star/ guy behind whom the communities rallies or whatever just stretched the limits of credulity too far for me. Fuck that guy

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This show asks me to buy in to all sorts of unbelievable things, but that 5'5" chode as bball star/ guy behind whom the communities rallies or whatever just stretched the limits of credulity too far for me. Fuck that guy

I told my wife that dude is trying to be blonde Tom Cruise v.2022. The dude can't act for shit but he's...ON EDGE! I wonder if he knows his character is the butt of a joke?

On the plus side, hearing Kate Bush's Running up that Hill was fucking awesome. Hounds of Lust is an essential album.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Am I imagining things, or did the max memory flashback montage include stuff from season 1 which was before she knew the others?

Oh damn. I don’t know. Need to go back and see. 

edit: or google it 😉

Edited by Telegraph_it

On 5/28/2022 at 12:46 PM, Message Board User said:

Episodes 4 & 7 were great.  The rest of the season was aight, mostly because I found the Joyce/Murray adventure and the stuff in California just tedious.  There are probably too many characters at this point  I wouldn't be upset if the entire Byers clan met Barb's fate.

Kinda similar. But god damn these are long and struggling to keep me engaged. Just finished 7

I've actually really liked the longer episodes. The editing could be tighter, but they at least seem to be answering questions as they introduce new ones, and it doesn't feel rushed. A few thoughts:

Spoiler

I don't get how One turned into Vecna after El pushed him through the gate she made, but I'll let it go. Still here for it.

Loving Jaqen H'ghar as the security guard. Here's hoping they let the Russian sidekick live this season.

I guess Steve and Nancy have been endgame this whole time? It makes more sense than her and Jonathan, honestly. Their pairing always seemed weird to me.

Just finished. Initial thoughts are that at its best, it reminds you of how fun and engaging ST can be. But at its worst, when it's trying to justify so many minor characters and their storylines it can get bogged down and ridiculous. Mike, Will and Jonathan (with his needless buddy, Argyle) have been barely needed this season other than some melodrama and comedic exploits that are more slapstick/absurd than funny. Still, a nice way to break up the long weekend by binging a couple episodes at a time. Looking forward to finishing it up over the 4th of July weekend.

Couple minor gripes:

Spoiler
  • I thought they could have hidden the fact that Peter was 001/Vecna a bit better. Or maybe it was just the actor playing Peter was over the top intense with his looks/stares that seemed to telegraph the fact that he was a Very Important Character.
  • WTF with Hopper having his feet and ankles destroyed in one scene so he could slip his leg irons in an escape attempt and yet having no limitations in the next including being able to run and fight? I know, ST asks you to ignore a lot of reality during the ride, but that just seemed like the writers were trying too hard to give Hopper a chance to be Incredibly Strong and Able to Withstand Any Pain in a season where--to date--he's been almost an afterthought

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Responses 

Spoiler

1. The California scenes were dumb. They wanted to show Eleven struggling without power and Jonathan growing distant from Wheeler. They could of done it a thousand better ways. 
2. They did a good subtle job with Will being gay. That being said, I feel like they are doing that because his character is pointless at this junction. Kind of lame to just make him gay to see interesting. 
3. Initially I thought the Hopper arc was way too much, but it’s been satisfying watching him and the man with no face. 
4. I don’t think they telegraphed One too much. I think it was well done. Having him monologue an explanation of the story so it all makes sense is lazy ass writing. 
5. overall enjoyable.

• Like 2

Regarding Vecna:

Spoiler

001/Vecna/Peter/Henry Creel's voiceover to El explaining his path from odd kid with a spooky gift to a villain with super powers bent on world domination was one thing, and maybe necessary to tie up loose strings over the 4 seasons and extended production delay, but incorporating Nancy while he's telling the story struck me as odd. Is Nancy now stuck in a different part of the Upside Down, separated from Steve even though he was right next to her? Or is she in a trance in the UD where Vecna will reveal yet another power, like maybe the ability to turn Nancy into an evil ally to take out the rest of the gang?

Murray being a karate man was both hysterical and awesome at the same time. You wouldn't expect less from Dirt Bag's brother-in-law.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Responses 

Hide contents

1. The California scenes were dumb. They wanted to show Eleven struggling without power and Jonathan growing distant from Wheeler. They could of done it a thousand better ways. 
2. They did a good subtle job with Will being gay. That being said, I feel like they are doing that because his character is pointless at this junction. Kind of lame to just make him gay to see interesting. 
3. Initially I thought the Hopper arc was way too much, but it’s been satisfying watching him and the man with no face. 
4. I don’t think they telegraphed One too much. I think it was well done. Having him monologue an explanation of the story so it all makes sense is lazy ass writing. 
5. overall enjoyable.

Re: Will

Spoiler

I definitely got the “Will might be gay” vibe last season. They were much more subtle about it, but it was there. Like when he’s trying to get the other guys to play D&D and Mike gets mad and yells something like “I’m sorry you’re not interested in girls!”

• Hook 'Em 2

Spoiler

So I’m with them on vecna as much as I can be, but I don’t follow the lightning transformation that occurred when she forced him into the upside down.  That hasn’t happened to any of the 6-8 others on the show that crossed over.

I’ll be disappointed if it’s never explained and was just a way to hide his identity for a while until the big reveal that this season’s baddie is a normal dimension telepath like el that’s been living in the UD.

also I guess nobody has noticed the gates at the scenes of the murders?  Do they appear after the crime scene investigation is over?  Didn’t the one team see the fissure beginning in the trailer and moved the guy out?  They just left it there unsupervised?

Had Nancy seen the stained glass window front door that she claimed to have seen when she Nancy Drew'd Max's drawing? Admittedly I wasn't 100% dialed in, but it seemed like the show basically pretended that she had the visuals that accompanied Victor Creel's story. 

14 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Had Nancy seen the stained glass window front door that she claimed to have seen when she Nancy Drew'd Max's drawing? Admittedly I wasn't 100% dialed in, but it seemed like the show basically pretended that she had the visuals that accompanied Victor Creel's story. 

When doing research in the library looking over newspapers on microfilm, was my assumption. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, austingirl said:

Re: Will

Hide contents

I definitely got the “Will might be gay” vibe last season. They were much more subtle about it, but it was there. Like when he’s trying to get the other guys to play D&D and Mike gets mad and yells something like “I’m sorry you’re not interested in girls!”

Damn. Forgot about that last season. Good catch. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I fucking hate Argyle.  Like a lot.

His voice, his accent, his fucking hair.  He's getting way too much screen time.

The girl that plays Max is a pretty good little actress.  Plus she's a Texan.

The scene with her running through the Upside Down, with Kate Bush's song playing was fantastic.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

I am in ep 3 right now and not that impressed with this season so far.  Just seems super drawn out with these 1 hr+ episodes that have to jump around to 3 different settings and really get nowhere 

This is right where I am. I just saw a good 15 comments about ep.4 though so have to hold on.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Honestly I could give a shit if Hopper, Murray, and Joyce were just executed by the soviets at this point. That storyline is pretty worthless to the season. 

Other than that, I’m really enjoying this season. El needs to stop being such a little bitch and wreck shop

Yeah I have been wondering since pretty early on how many of these story lines will come together before the finale, and how many are just separate and the reunion is the epilogue after the climactic scene. 

I like Hopper and all, but the Russia storyline is a drag. The California group would be more bearable if Argyle wasn’t around. Vecna is a really interesting character and adds a lot more layers to the story than just the demogorgans or Mindflayer IMO. The ending of episode 4 was really well done.

Spoiler

I’m trying to figure out if anyone besides the audience knows that vecna is one at this time. Doesn’t seem like a memory that ele would have, as that transformation happened on the other side of the gate. Was it part of what Nancy was seeing?  (And why was she seeing that btw?)

Steve, robin and max are about the only young adult actors who are bearable this season … the rest of the now grown kid gang has been pretty consistently bad / poorly written / poorly acted… not sure who’s been worse but there’s been some cringeworthy and head scratching scenes (And, fairly, some entertaining ones)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know if Lucas is just a bad actor, or the lines are bad as he navigates his attempted social climb and then reversal, but that character hasn’t been fun to watch on screen this season. 

feels like the duffer brothers can write the nerd/outcast from personal experience, but have to write the popular/jock/bully from the perspective of the nerd dealing with them so they are more one dimensional. 

Just finished up and agree with everyone's thoughts. Particularly:

• The cast worked really well collectively in Seasons 1-3, but it really loses something when they're in three groups
  • Toward that, agree the Hopper and California plot lines are pointless as is Will ... Mike and Jonathan only valuable to watch them get dumped (I almost bailed if there was one more scene with Argyle)
  • I can buy into the fantasy stuff, but the fast and loose with reality is eye rolling - the entire Hopper arc is just silly on myriad levels from his resistance to frostbite from ability to fight the demagordon after being in a Siberian prison for a year ... Lucas in general ... Nancy's ability to charm anything with a pecker ... 
  • Kill Lucas and keep his sister - older Lucas sucks ... Dustin is the only kid that adds something pretty funny - keep him and the olds and have Mike and Will run off to Vegas and get married by Elvis or go Brokeback on the Yellowstone
  • Orderly / 01 / Creel kid / Vecna too obvious ... should have been more subtle and saved the "01" tattoo for the final scene - seemed stupidly redundant ... and the back story way over-explained ... 

2 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

Just finished up and agree with everyone's thoughts. Particularly:

• The cast worked really well collectively in Seasons 1-3, but it really loses something when they're in three groups
  • Toward that, agree the Hopper and California plot lines are pointless as is Will ... Mike and Jonathan only valuable to watch them get dumped (I almost bailed if there was one more scene with Argyle)
  • I can buy into the fantasy stuff, but the fast and loose with reality is eye rolling - the entire Hopper arc is just silly on myriad levels from his resistance to frostbite from ability to fight the demagordon after being in a Siberian prison for a year ... Lucas in general ... Nancy's ability to charm anything with a pecker ... 
  • Kill Lucas and keep his sister - older Lucas sucks ... Dustin is the only kid that adds something pretty funny - keep him and the olds and have Mike and Will run off to Vegas and get married by Elvis or go Brokeback on the Yellowstone
  • Orderly / 01 / Creel kid / Vecna too obvious ... should have been more subtle and saved the "01" tattoo for the final scene - seemed stupidly redundant ... and the back story way over-explained ... 

I mean, it was all in the last 10 minutes of the season?

• Hook 'Em 1

Wtf was Mind Flayer doing during all this? Vacationing in upside down Bali? Gates opening all over the place and nowhere to be seen. Also the music escape theory was kinda shot down by the kid passing out being the reason his dad escaped. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, I'm in episode 7 and the biggest beating is 11 not just losing her shit completely and destroying the world already.  I'd be fine with that and her taking Steve, the lesbian, Eddie Van Halen and the blond chick who got hit with the roller skates to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy/Alien territory.  Can even have Wynona as chaperone.

Certainly thought going down through the portal should have been more beetlejuicy.

DapperZestyAnglerfish-size_restricted.gi

On 5/29/2022 at 4:27 PM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I told my wife that dude is trying to be blonde Tom Cruise v.2022. The dude can't act for shit but he's...ON EDGE! I wonder if he knows his character is the butt of a joke?

On the plus side, hearing Kate Bush's Running up that Hill was fucking awesome. Hounds of Lust is an essential album.

The Meg Myers version is really good too

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1