Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

21 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

And Abbott is dumb enough to think he has a shot in ‘24.  His only chance is Trump not running and not endorsing DeSantis, and instead endorsing Abbott.  

But I don’t know that Trump’s endorsement would help Abbott.  DeSantis is what the MAGA crowd in Texas wants, and Abbott supported masks and vaccines and closures.  Big mistake on Greg’s part. 

But man, Abbott is going to do his best to make things miserable in Texas while he chases DeSantis.  

I think Abbott is realistic about his chances but understands that he's too old to wait through another cycle, so this is his window regardless, and he'll play nice enough with both DeSantis and Trump that if (when, probably) he loses his consolation prize is AG. . 

Just a reminder that school starts back in two weeks. About 2.5 months ago, 19 children and 2 teachers were murdered in a Texas classroom. Our federal government, known for being divided, passed legislation (weak, imo) to address the problem. But they at least did something. New York, following Buffalo, also passed legislation.

Texas -- well-known for having an entirely one-party government -- has yet to do anything. Abbott could have called a special session. He did not. In fact, we can't even get the facts straight, other than about 400 officers, including nearly 100 state DPS officers, did nothing for 77 minutes. Now Abbott is doing nothing for coming up on 77 days.

He also spent 3 hours at a fundraiser in Huntsville the afternoon of the shooting.

"A day after the tragedy, Abbott told reporters he stopped at the event on the way from a wildfire in Abilene to Austin "and let people know I could not stay - that I needed to go."

"I wanted them to know what happened and get back to Austin so I could continue my collaboration with Texas law enforcement to make sure all the needs were being met in the Uvalde area," he continued. 

Abbott's plane landed at 4:52 p.m. The governor did not depart Huntsville for Austin until 7:47 p.m. 

https://www.kens5.com/article/news/local/abbott-spent-hours-following-robb-shooting-at-fundraiser-uvalde/273-0449aa8f-5ee9-4276-8785-1f460a31d7a1

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

Beto needs to be hammering this, HARD, that leadership starts at the top and every DFPS and DPS and border failure and scandal is due to years of Abbott's leadership... but that's probably too obvious and harsh for a democrat 🙄

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, mchookem said:

Beto needs to be hammering this, HARD, that leadership starts at the top and every DFPS and DPS and border failure and scandal is due to years of Abbott's leadership... but that's probably too obvious and harsh for a democrat 🙄

At least online, he does. With his war chest, however, I'd be putting in on billboards, TV, and radio across the state. 

6 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

He also, and this bears repeating until the end of time, did not attend a single funeral for any of the victims, adult or child.  That's who he is. That's the Governor of Texas and he does not deserve to keep his job, no matter who the alternative is @fattyflattie or what they would like to do that they can't.

In Abbott's defense, he had 19 fundraisers to attend. 

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

Beto needs to be hammering this, 

If they debate, Beto needs to keep bringing it up. 

"Governor Abbott, how many funerals did you attend in Uvalde?"  

"I would like to point out that Governor Abbott attended no funerals in Uvalde.  I would know, I was there."  Let Abbott fight back on the exact number (which is zero in his case).

41 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Because he has no leverage at all. He squandered his moment on that absurd presidential campaign and needs to find something new that works.  

Call him a pussy and coward. Simple message repeated over and over

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

Why is O’Rourke not publicly calling for debates?

I see this brought up on here every now and then.

Do y'all not remember seeing O'Rourke on stage against Cruz and in the Democratic presidential primary? He's an objectively bad debater.

Not that they matter anyway, because they definitely do not anymore, but there's no reason for him to hand Abbott the advantage.

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Do y'all not remember seeing O'Rourke on stage against Cruz and in the Democratic presidential primary? He's an objectively bad debater.

Not that they matter anyway, because they definitely do not anymore, but there's no reason for him to hand Abbott the advantage.

He’s a 5 point underdog who in a normal year in Texas would be down double digits. He has to go head to head to make up that ground. If he cannot speak cogently on the shit Abbott and the Republicans in this state have put us through (which he does on the stump but that is all preaching to the choir), and appeal to parents as well as women and those who love them, he will not close that gap

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, gmr548 said:

A) He's not that bad and B) holy shit, there's not even a debate to be had.  Just get up there and hammer Abbott on the billions of things (or the opposite strategy with one or two) OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER.  He doesn't need to debate.  He doesn't need to have ideas (even though he does).  That isn't how people operate anymore.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

A) He's not that bad and B) holy shit, there's not even a debate to be had.  Just get up there and hammer Abbott on the billions of things (or the opposite strategy with one or two) OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER.  He doesn't need to debate.  He doesn't need to have ideas (even though he does).  That isn't how people operate anymore.

Yeah, the idea that he needs to be winning some classic competitive debate is ludicrious.  Debate like a fucking politician.  Smile at the question and then go on an unrelated rant about the other guy's shortcomings (uh).

• Hook 'Em 3

59 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

A) He's not that bad and B) holy shit, there's not even a debate to be had.  Just get up there and hammer Abbott on the billions of things

Sorry to say but he really is. He doesn’t have the empathy to see himself through the eyes of his audience and he’s not mean enough to beat up a man just because he has it coming. If he can’t step on Ted Cruz’s neck, I can’t expect him to push Greg Abbott down the stairs. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Sorry to say but he really is. He doesn’t have the empathy to see himself through the eyes of his audience and he’s not mean enough to beat up a man just because he has it coming. If he can’t step on Ted Cruz’s neck, I can’t expect him to push Greg Abbott down the stairs. 

Well I guess we'll just agree to disagree.  Regardless, Abbott is the one who will decide if they debate or not, and as was said above, he won't.

2022 Beto is not the same guy as 2018 Beto.

He tried to “go high when they went low” approach when debating Cruz.

After watching the way he showed up in Uvalde and went for everyone’s throat, something tells me he’s dropped the “above the fray” persona.

My fully expect him to call Abbott everything but a child of God if they get to debate.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

I am ashamed that my initial reaction to this isn't outrage, it's basically, "Well, yeah, par for the course."

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

We've already had an exchange on the empathy take. I do see some signs in this campaign that he is more willing to attack this time around, but...

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

He's the same person he's been since 2016 and so are the Texas R voters.  He's going to lose.  Because this state is fucking stupid.

This is the bottom line.

11 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

We've already had an exchange on the empathy take.

Empathy is not sympathy. Sympathy is where a you share the feelings of another person. Empathy is where you understand and witness their feelings and experiences for what they are,  whether or not you share them. Empathy without sympathy is common and vice versa. 

Beto has sympathy and compassion. He seems like a good person who cares about other people. He just doesn’t seem to have the capacity to see the world or himself through the eyes of others and understand why they have the feelings they do, especially about himself. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

Btw- I hate to keep harping on the point but I think it’s germane to why he can’t find keep pace with Abbott and why Abbott seems so resilient. Abbott (or his team) understand how the bubbas and the meemaws and peepaws and just enough of the tios and tias will feel about him in any given situation and they understand what they can get away with, including skipping all the funerals for funerals, because they understand how Beto feels about them and himself and what he his willing to do to win. The reverse is not true. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

2022 Beto is not the same guy as 2018 Beto.

He tried to “go high when they went low” approach when debating Cruz.

After watching the way he showed up in Uvalde and went for everyone’s throat, something tells me he’s dropped the “above the fray” persona.

He didn’t think to play to the the camera or walk down the center aisle, then he didn’t make sure that the mics could clearly catch him. Then he was shouted down by the mayor while he was ignored by the Abbott, and what the mayor said was very clear, and that was the last word. 
I’m sorry but the optics were terrible and made Abbott look even more in control, because Beto didn’t manage the optics. And maybe that’s noble, but it tells me he hasn’t learned a goddamn thing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I live in Austin so I don’t see any ads but I hope at some point several millions of dollars are spent running up Hot Wheel’s negatives. Maybe that’s happening elsewhere but I don’t really see any of it except online. 
Every old person in the state should be made to feel like they will die alone from not having power in the winter or summer if Abbott is re-elected.  Republicans have no problem winning through fear. My team hasn’t quite figured out how to do that yet. 

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

no he won’t. he can only lose ground debating beto 

If it looks like Beto is close to pulling even, he will have to debate, not just because he will look like a coward who is scared of Beto, but because  at that point the campaign war chest is clearly not helping.  He cannot have Beto pull within a few points and then let the media run a train on his refusal to debate Beto.

Plus, if Abbott is even mildly serious about a Presidential run (even if he's looking for a cabinet position or AG or whatever), he has to beat Beto by a lot more than a few points. 

But such a debate will be just like a Trump debate, with Abbott spouting off bullshit and shitting his hand and throwing it around, rather than the UT/Vanderbilt educated lawyer/former AG that he is.

51 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

If any debate is gonna happen in Texas it needs to be on a Tuesday. None of this 7pm during Friday night football.

If I recall, Rick Perry used to pull that shit.

Shame the West Texas billionaires that funded the leprechaun's failed run against Abbott in the primary didn't push him to run third party.  

Maybe we could have had a 2006 situation that freaked out some folks.

• Rick Perry - 1.7 million votes, 39%
  • Chris Bell - 1.3 million votes, 30%
  • Carole Keeton Rylander Jackson Strayhorn - 800,000 votes, 18%
  • Kinky Friedman - 545,000 votes, 12%

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Empathy is not sympathy. Sympathy is where a you share the feelings of another person. Empathy is where you understand and witness their feelings and experiences for what they are,  whether or not you share them. Empathy without sympathy is common and vice versa. 

Beto has sympathy and compassion. He seems like a good person who cares about other people. He just doesn’t seem to have the capacity to see the world or himself through the eyes of others and understand why they have the feelings they do, especially about himself. 

Btw- I hate to keep harping on the point but I think it’s germane to why he can’t find keep pace with Abbott and why Abbott seems so resilient. Abbott (or his team) understand how the bubbas and the meemaws and peepaws and just enough of the tios and tias will feel about him in any given situation and they understand what they can get away with, including skipping all the funerals for funerals, because they understand how Beto feels about them and himself and what he his willing to do to win. The reverse is not true. 

He didn’t think to play to the the camera or walk down the center aisle, then he didn’t make sure that the mics could clearly catch him. Then he was shouted down by the mayor while he was ignored by the Abbott, and what the mayor said was very clear, and that was the last word. 
I’m sorry but the optics were terrible and made Abbott look even more in control, because Beto didn’t manage the optics. And maybe that’s noble, but it tells me he hasn’t learned a goddamn thing. 

Bozo has gone bye bye Egon. What have you got left?

Seriously, wtf. 

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

oh shit Bozo acted like Beto has performed worse than any D candidate in the history of Texas. I should respond to the BS.

Lupe Valdez, an openly lesbian Hispanic, got 42.5%, even though Trump publicly endorsed Abbott and the MAGA crowd hated her and many Democrats didn’t know who the fuck she was.

I think Beto will do a little better given the abortion stuff.  Among other things

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't remember there being all these factions against a sitting governor in a while.  At least not organized to the level of Mothers Against Greg Abbott and others.   That's going to help.  How much, hard to say.  I just hope the vote blue all the way down ballot.

Abbott has pissed me off twice in the last 24 hours.  Last night after coming home from the Shins concert I found a door hanger dumped on my front porch.  The wife took it inside and burned it.  Nearly burned down the kitchen (she'd had a few vodkas).

Then today some asshole campaign worker comes to the front door (working from home today) setting off the dogs into a frenzy.  Had to yell at him to go away and the dogs nearly jumped him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 5