Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

On 7/6/2022 at 9:30 AM, Jive Turkey said:

Dems need to run a candidate who will just go scorched earth and mercilessly rag on Abbott, Cruz, Cornyn, Danny Goeb, Paxton, and the whole lot of them.  Just come out and say, "Listen, I know I can't win.  These clowns have an R by their names, so they're safe in Texas.  But let me tell you why each one of them is a piece of shit."  And just do that for a year.  Shit, I'd hire Jeffrey Ross and his team of writers to give me material.  Just roast the fuck out of these douches.  At least have something good come out of this.  Otherwise, it's just people like Wendy Davis and Beto trying to run serious campaigns, only to get spanked.

why don't you do it, @Jive Turkey ?

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t think Abbott will run in 2024.  Even Cruz polls above him, and I have yet to see a presidential poll where Abbott was not in the low single digits.  He would get destroyed in the primaries just from other candidates raking  him over the coals for supporting masks and vaccines, and supporting closures, even if later on he tried to walk all of that back. They would also talk about how school districts in Texas stood up to him.

Plus, he needs to handily win in Texas this year to even be considered, and I mean really beat Beto, by decent double digits.  And he needs that war chest because while I think he wins this fall, I’m not sure about ‘26.

His ONLY chance would be if DeSantis loses this year.  If not, nope, and DeSantis would probably beat him in the Texas primary, which would be humiliating as fuck for Abbott.  And Abbott knows this, which is why he keeps churning out GQP bullshit.  He has lurched from trying to out-right wing Huffines to out-right wing DeSantis.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I don’t think Abbott will run in 2024.  Even Cruz polls above him, and I have yet to see a presidential poll where Abbott was not in the low single digits.  He would get destroyed in the primaries just from other candidates raking  him over the coals for supporting masks and vaccines, and supporting closures, even if later on he tried to walk all of that back. They would also talk about how school districts in Texas stood up to him.

Plus, he needs to handily win in Texas this year to even be considered, and I mean really beat Beto, by decent double digits.  And he needs that war chest because while I think he wins this fall, I’m not sure about ‘26.

His ONLY chance would be if DeSantis loses this year.  If not, nope, and DeSantis would probably beat him in the Texas primary, which would be humiliating as fuck for Abbott.  And Abbott knows this, which is why he keeps churning out GQP bullshit.  He has lurched from trying to out-right wing Huffines to out-right wing DeSantis.

Abbott’s plan is to run in 24 and includes strategies to kneecap Ted Cruz.

I also think a hard pivot on Medicaid expansion is plausible. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

36 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Kneecapping a guy running in very distant 3rd or 4th in polling instead of the two front runners who could beat him in the Texas primary?    That sounds about right for Abbott.

I don’t see Abbott going after Cruz though because I actually think Ted would fight back.  Ted thinks he deserves it and that he’s taken his lumps and that it’s his turn.  

Abbott and Cruz tangling would only help DeSantis as well.

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

On a side note, does Ted try to run both for the White House and his Senate seat?  Or is that what you’re referring to - Abbott pushing a primary contender for Ted’s seat.

I don’t get guys like Abbott. Why would more reasonable people across the country vote for Abbott when he’s under water in Texas?

Abbott doesn’t stand a chance. He’s at best a distant third in the Republican race at this point.

On 7/6/2022 at 8:57 AM, troph said:

We are fucked. Majority of Texans agree with Democrats on pressing and major issues, yet vote for Republicans anyway.  

On 7/6/2022 at 9:11 AM, Biff Tannen said:

It's because they have no critical thinking skills and have bought into the lie that Dems are evil that has been perpetuated over the last 40 years by right wing media.

well than and 

Don't Overcomplicate the Election Analysis: As Bill Clinton said, 'It's the  Economy, Stupid'

5 hours ago, Updawg said:

Exactly what will happen

Some construction companies who have donated a bunch to Texas Republicans will get some spiffy new contracts for Mexican border construction?

Or they will use it to start training and hiring a bunch of new DPS troopers who will be stationed at the major highways leading to other states?  Pregnancy tests ain't going to test themselves.

I'm pathologically skeptical about potential strategies the Dems might advocate and actually have success, but they damn well better go after the excessive revenue angle, and demand (promise) a rebate/refund/tax cut.

I crack myself up.

On 7/8/2022 at 12:00 AM, Anastasis said:

Is there a consensus on whether this will work out better or worse than their foray into building high speed rail?

I don't give a shit. I'm happy to see him trying something like this as well as his bill allowing victims of gun violence to sue the makers. Don't give a shit if SCOTUS knocks it down. It's nice to see someone trying. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Abbott for president talk might be the stupidest shit I’ve read.  Between Uvalde and the power grid this motherfucker is a total laughingstock.  He’d be resigning if this state wasn’t populated by a bunch of mouthbreathing fucking morons.  Instead he’s gonna wax Beto by 9 points.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

The RCP poll aggregation is showing Abbott at +6.0 over Beto.   In 2018, RCP has Cruz at +6.8 in the runup to election day but he only beat Beto +2.6.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2022/governor/tx/texas-governor-abbott-vs-orourke-7376.html

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2018/senate/tx/texas_senate_cruz_vs_orourke-6310.html#polls

Interesting how of the last 9 polls for Cruz/Beto, only 3 had their results overlap within their margin of error with the actual results. The other 6 all had Cruz too high. Of course, the opposite happened with Trump/Biden where Trump overperformed the Texas polls. It just tells me that pollsters have no clue about Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Of course, the opposite happened with Trump/Biden where Trump overperformed the Texas polls. It just tells me that pollsters have no clue about Texas.

To be fair, a lot of people probably didn’t tell pollsters the truth about who they were going to vote for in 2020.

lulz at the idea of an incompetent cripple with the charisma of a cat turd winning the presidential election. Like Cruz, nobody really likes Abbot. Trump, for all of his flaws is a showman, and people are enamored with the "show". Abbot is just a fucking clown. Shit, Trump Jr would teabag Abbot by 20 points. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 2

I already can't stand his speech delivery and I hear Abbott speak maybe 1-2 times a month?

"Let me be clear" (in his faux, stern guy voice).

"Let me be clear. I will not do anything to prevent the next El Paso, Sutherland Springs, or Uvalde. Nor, will I succumb to pressure to fix the grid. The only thing I will do is culture war bullshit. Beverly Cleary is a danger to our children, not AR-15s. Let me be clear. Illegal immigrants."

50 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I already can't stand his speech delivery and I hear Abbott speak maybe 1-2 times a month?

Fucking this.  Plus, the way he says "Texassss" at the end of a sentence grates on my nerves like Trump saying "Jyyyna."

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Just wait.  Remember how he acted when Huffines was in the primary and not even a threat, but he was scared of not being Trumpy enough?  Beto outraised him, something Huffines could never do. And nearly 400,000 more people donated to Beto than Abbott.

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas-politics/texas-governor-race-beto-orourke-greg-abbott-campaigns-raise-more-than-20m-each-in-4-months/

Gov. Greg Abbott raised $24.9 million in the latest campaign finance period, just a few million shy of Beto O’Rourke’s $27.6 million from late February through June, both campaigns announced Friday.

Abbott has a larger campaign chest from previous years, but supposedly he’s also saving a lot to get a jump start next year on his ‘24 campaign

O’Rourke’s campaign did not release his latest cash-on-hand numbers, but the incumbent reported $46 million total cash-on-hand. In the last quarter, Abbott had $49.8 million in his war chest, compared to the $6.8 million O’Rourke’s campaign had to spend.

In a call with reporters Wednesday, Abbott’s chief strategist Dave Carney predicted their campaign would raise $100 million total. The governor’s campaign has already vowed to spend nearly $20 million in advertisements leading up to November.

Beto is getting support from a lot more Texans, and he’s crisscrossing the state like crazy, including Republican areas, unlike Abbott.  He has a planned 49-day trip planned to go across the state.

As we move into the heat of the summer campaign, we’re well positioned to fund all our campaign efforts,” said Gardner Pate, Abbott’s campaign chair. “The nearly 113,000 contributions illustrates that Gov. Abbott’s support comes from a wide variety of Texans all across the Lone Star State.”

O’Rourke’s haul came from 511,000 donors, with contributions averaging around $54, his campaign said.

I expect we get the Greg Abbott we saw during the race with Huffines, but then again, Abbott went really hard right, and a lot of people have come around to the Dems because of the abortion stuff.

Does Abbott really want to go hard right and support those who want women tracked in case they go out of state for abortions?

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Does Abbott really want to go hard right and support those who want women tracked in case they go out of state for abortions?

It’s like you have no idea how awful the average voter in this shithole is.  Of course he’s going hard right because it will work.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

#1 if our power grid and water infrastructure is not upgraded, we won’t be leading the nation in exports and tech exports

#2 We produce 9% of all US manufactured goods?  We are the second largest state in the US and have around 9% of all Americans, the fourth largest city in the US which is home to the busiest port in the US (foreign tonnage) and second busiest in terms of overall tonnage, and we share a heritage with, and many Texans share a language with, a country next door that has 130 million people.  We are a part of a massive transportation infrastructure that stretches from Mexico to Canada.  We have a massive amount of oil (plastics) among other natural resources.  9% of all manufactured goods should not be something to brag about with our resources, our port, and our access to Mexico.

• Like 1

Don’t forget that we’re deliberately doing all we can to alienate and destroy our ties with Mexico….our largest trading partner.

We have a huge resource running along our border, one that has brought 150 years of increasing prosperity, and we’re doing all we can to destroy that relationship to appeal to racist rednecks in East Texas and shit.

We are the dumbest state led by the dumbest people.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 2

Fuck that douche 

beto and the dems need to highlight the work of Jonathan Mitchell

https://www.advocate.com/news/2022/7/12/conservative-texas-lawyer-targets-prep-meds-after-abortion-rights?amp

and the biggest douche bag in Texas, briscoe Cain (he needs to come out of the closet) …

https://thetexan.news/texas-freedom-caucus-warns-law-firm-of-criminal-liability-for-covering-employees-abortion-costs/

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/15/1111383520/texas-abortion-laws-prosecutors

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

All of this needs to be sent around by all of us to the women, moderates, and those who rarely vote.