Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Chuck looks like they found him buying two tall boys, a pack of generic cigarettes and a few scratch-offs and stuck a microphone in his face. 

Was thinking the same thing. Has a Frank Gallagher vibe going on in that picture.

16 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

just curious how people justify voting for a career, do nothing politician ?

"Do-nothing" is what they run on -- government is incompetent of course, so doing nothing is actually a plus and also owns the libs, who want to do something for people. Their voters want to identify as privileged so they imagine themselves as privileged, due to their hard work --and also as self-sufficient and a target for others' unearned desires. Narcissism works on a macroscopic scale. Easy grift. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Child protective workers had an average 17.6 cases each day in the 2021 fiscal year, according to state data.

If you can't review a case file, interview the involved parties and witnesses, document findings, and determine a verdict in less than 27.2 minutes, do you even deserve to make $50,000 a year?

-Abbott

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

16 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Child protective workers had an average 17.6 cases each day in the 2021 fiscal year, according to state data.

If you can't review a case file, interview the involved parties and witnesses, document findings, and determine a verdict in less than 27.2 minutes, do you even deserve to make $50,000 a year?

-Abbot

And put your own ass in legal jeopardy by not being christofascist sadistic enough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, royiv said:

Beto needs to hammer the fuck out of the crisis in the foster system in TX. 

He mentioned it in his stump speech in Pflugerville as a major point. 

I think he just needs to hammer him on anything. Hard to explain -- he brings these things up, but he doesn't rub his nose in it. Hopefully media buys have some more force to them and focus. 

Again, Fetterman is the example here. He is running it up one side and down the other that Oz 1) just came to PA from NJ to run for Senate 2) is completely out of touch rich guy

Beto needs to focus on 1) Abbott's leadership has led to so many disasters around the state 2) He is extreme far right. He mentions these things or the results of them, but they all need to be tied back again and again to those two simple messages.

Greg Abbott is the inflation governor.

—Property taxes are 40% since he took office

—Electricity bills are $45/month thanks to his grid failure

—Internet costs are across rural TX after he vetoed broadband support

—Phone bills are 625% to an “unprecedented” level

From Beto’s twitter.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 11:31 AM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

lol, really? fucking Chuck Norris? Dude is an Okie (booooooo!) and 80 fucking years old. Pretty sure I could kick his ass at this point. What a pathetic fucking clown - applies to either, your choice. 

Also, his real name is Carlos and he's a fucking maga dipshit.

• Hook 'Em 1

“Not your fathers GOP” was a good troll comment and easy message on his comment section

But mostly it reminded me of Not your Father’s Root Beer from Illinois. There was a bar in Wrigleyville that used to get the 6.5% version in 2013-2015 that gave me some of the best Snap content I’ve ever had/GuestLobo

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, TexPx said:

Greg Abbott is the inflation governor.

—Property taxes are emoji3595.png 40% since he took office

—Electricity bills are emoji3595.png $45/month thanks to his grid failure

—Internet costs are emoji3595.png across rural TX after he vetoed broadband support

—Phone bills are emoji3595.png 625% to an “unprecedented” level

From Beto’s twitter.

We get the government we deserve. I really despise having to live in Texas.  It’s just going to get worse. 

• Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

“Not your fathers GOP” was a good troll comment and easy message on his comment section

But mostly it reminded me of Not your Father’s Root Beer from Illinois. There was a bar in Wrigleyville that used to get the 6.5% version in 2013-2015 that gave me some of the best Snap content I’ve ever had/GuestLobo

Not your father’s Oldsmobile is the one I remember from the 80’s.  Kid at my high school inherited his old man’s tank of an Oldsmobile station wagon.  He shoe polished “This is my father’s Oldsmobile” on the back window.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, royiv said:

Beto needs to hammer the fuck out of the crisis in the foster system in TX. 

Most of the people in the state really don't care about that because it doesn't affect them.  That's why any time he spends talking about the foster system instead of the grid and abortion is a waste.

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

Most of the people in the state really don't care about that because it doesn't affect them.  That's why any time he spends talking about the foster system instead of the grid and abortion is a waste.

Weirdly enough, the border doesn't affect anyone either. Neither does Dr. Oz's true home state. I've learned voters are stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

I saw an ad yesterday where Hot Wheels' wife is going on about how his reaction to the tree accident proved to her what kind of fighter he was.  Blah blah fucking blah, his perseverance through that time is the same way he works and governs for Texas blah fucking blah.  Yeah, she forgot to mention how he pulled up the ladder behind him and no one else can be compensated to the extremes he has if a similar situation occurred today.

I gave the TV the double middle finger salute each time that ad came on.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

On 8/21/2022 at 5:35 PM, Beau Vine said:

I still would love ads that are targeted at the olds which insinuate they will either die of the heat or cold with our shitty grid thanks to Hot Wheels.

7 minutes ago, troph said:

And honestly that’s a travesty. 

So much for being pro life.

16 minutes ago, troph said:

And honestly that’s a travesty. 

True, but I think when there are 100 fires burning, someone telling you about 101 it just isn't going to add to the excitement.   Education didn't really hit either.   Climate change was meh.   The things he brought up that did well with the crowd were lowering property taxes, unfuck the abortion laws, gun control/Uvalde and the grid (his messaging here wasn't great, even if his message was).  A vet asking about mental health was well received, a woman talking about how she was raped as a kid but the statute of limitation on sexual assault is BS.  He talked about how there are 1000s of unused rape kits, but he didn't talk about the 1000s more waiting to be analyzed.  He missed it there.   That discussion landed slightly better than the foster care, mental health, and rates of rape increasing in Texas and about as well as the discussion on the LGBTQ issues (specifically the fuckery with the LGBTQ kids). 

That is just like my opinion though.  

He did discuss the incompetence of the right.  He did discuss their anti-democracy actions.   But the messaging here needed more punch as well.

3 minutes ago, Nivek said:

True, but I think when there are 100 fires burning, someone telling you about 101 it just isn't going to add to the excitement.   Education didn't really hit either.   Climate change was meh.   The things he brought up that did well with the crowd were lowering property taxes, unfuck the abortion laws, gun control/Uvalde and the grid (his messaging here wasn't great, even if his message was).  A vet asking about mental health was well received, a woman talking about how she was raped as a kid but the statute of limitation on sexual assault is BS.  He talked about how there are 1000s of unused rape kits, but he didn't talk about the 1000s more waiting to be analyzed.  He missed it there.   That discussion landed slightly better than the foster care, mental health, and rates of rape increasing in Texas and about as well as the discussion on the LGBTQ issues (specifically the fuckery with the LGBTQ kids). 

That is just like my opinion though.  

He did discuss the incompetence of the right.  He did discuss their anti-democracy actions.   But the messaging here needed more punch as well.

Well I volunteer in the youth homeless space - but for the grace of god there go I sort of thing - and the foster care system is probably the most obscene of abbott’s failures with no close second. Beyond maddening and enough to make the most staunch atheists believe in hell for republican leadership and in heaven for these kids.

and that doesn’t mean I think your wrong. I think your right. Get elected on something else but fix the foster care system because my heart can barely take it anymore.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Dumbfuck is now just trotting out easily-verified lies:

As long as his voters believe it’s true, that’s all that matters,

https://www.chron.com/politics/article/lina-hidalgo-greg-abbot-defunding-police-17393873.php

Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo is denying claims made by Gov. Greg Abbott and Texas Comptroller Glenn Hegar this week that Harris County is "defunding" its law enforcement. Abbott issued a statement Tuesday accusing county officials of attempting to reduce funding available to two Harris County constables, Mark Herman and Ted Heap, who both filed a complaint to Abbott's office about losing funds. His statement followed Hegar's release of a letter announcing his office is investigating Herman and Heap's claims

Hegar also threatened to prevent the county from adopting its budget if officials don't make changes. 

This state is fucking pathetic, Abbott and Hegar are trying to fuck over Texans and paralyze counties so they can claim that liberal-run counties don’t work.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

This seems pretty out of character for Hegar and I choose to believe he's getting pulled into this shit

fuck that douche

This year's proposed Harris County budget allocates almost $232 million to fund the county's eight constable offices, a nearly 10 percent increase from the previous fiscal year, according to the Texas Tribune. Herman and Heap would receive 12 percent and 7.7 percent budget increases under the plan compared to last fiscal year, respectively. Constables also received budget increases the previous year. 

11 hours ago, troph said:

Well I volunteer in the youth homeless space - but for the grace of god there go I sort of thing - and the foster care system is probably the most obscene of abbott’s failures with no close second. Beyond maddening and enough to make the most staunch atheists believe in hell for republican leadership and in heaven for these kids.

and that doesn’t mean I think your wrong. I think your right. Get elected on something else but fix the foster care system because my heart can barely take it anymore.

I think the issue here is that there is so much that is broken in our society and so much that is wrong not all of it sees the light of day.  Geraldo made his career on the exposure of mental health care facilities and the response was to defund them and shut them down and ultimately the outcome is that the largest provider of mental health care services in the country is Houston's downtown jail (IIRC according to Beto).   Beto did talk about it, but I think it is too abstract for most people, especially with everything else going on.  They want their property taxes fixed first, they want energy/grid fixed first, then they can care about other issues.   At least  that is how I interpreted it.  I could be wrong.  

I forgot to mention that Beto actually solicited the crowd for a messaging.   

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

https://www.chron.com/politics/article/lina-hidalgo-greg-abbot-defunding-police-17393873.php

This state is fucking pathetic, Abbott and Hegar are trying to fuck over Texans and paralyze counties so they can claim that liberal-run counties don’t work.

i see what you did there bill hader GIF

On 8/24/2022 at 7:40 PM, atomheartbevo said:

i worked for Hegar before retirement... he was the only republican i voted for in 2018 bc knowing him personally and observing his management style i appreciated him as a reasonable and conservative-but-non-wingnutty voice in Texas politics. and he was good at his job. 

it is disappointing to see that even he is succumbing to the GQP black hole 😒 i guess he's starting to maneuver his place in the lineup 🙄

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah my read on it was he’s polling terribly with the suburban woman, even in friendly areas. Couldn’t tell by the women on my street, but that’s my take. 

When you are eager to ban all abortion, and you are making dumbass remarks about school shootings could have been worse or avoiding the parents or funerals, or last year you tried to make it hard on parents of school kids during the pandemic, women may get the feeling you don’t give a fuck about them

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

When you are eager to ban all abortion, and you are making dumbass remarks about school shootings could have been worse or avoiding the parents or funerals, or last year you tried to make it hard on parents of school kids during the pandemic, women may get the feeling you don’t give a fuck about them

Agreed. My point is a “grass roots” type door knocking campaign in the Fort Bend burbs doesn’t seem high on the priority list unless you are worried. But I’ve been calling for Beto to beat him for awhile now, so doesn’t surprise me he’s worried. 

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Agreed. My point is a “grass roots” type door knocking campaign in the Fort Bend burbs doesn’t seem high on the priority list unless you are worried. But I’ve been calling for Beto to beat him for awhile now, so doesn’t surprise me he’s worried. 

Abbott wants/has a bubble around him at all times, at least he acts like that based on his tone-deaf comments and actions, and these kinds of events still play to that (as does his trying to avoid debates).  He is very weak that way, and because he doesn’t have Trump’s charisma, he has hit his ceiling as governor.  I’d even argue that if Abbott were coming out of private practice and into public office campaigns today, he’d flail around and then lose by double digits in primaries.

He hyper-focuses on certain groups/bases, and does not realize that he’s damaging himself with a lot of folks who might not otherwise give a shit. 

Hell, as much as I loathe George W now (I campaigned for him in ‘99/‘00), he was willing to confront parents who were angry that their children died on his watch in Iraq, etc. and I’ll give him some credit for that.  Abbott flees from those types of situations, probably because he doesn’t have a comfortable lead.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Abbott wants/has a bubble around him at all times, at least he acts like that based on his tone-deaf comments and actions, and these kinds of events still play to that (as does his trying to avoid debates).  He is very weak that way, and because he doesn’t have Trump’s charisma, he has hit his ceiling as governor.  I’d even argue that if Abbott were coming out of private practice and into public office campaigns today, he’d flail around and then lose by double digits in primaries.

He hyper-focuses on certain groups/bases, and does not realize that he’s damaging himself with a lot of folks who might not otherwise give a shit. 

Hell, as much as I loathe George W now (I campaigned for him in ‘99/‘00), he was willing to confront parents who were angry that their children died on his watch in Iraq, etc. and I’ll give him some credit for that.  Abbott flees from those types of situations, probably because he doesn’t have a comfortable lead.

he also has a war chest with $65mil+ 

some big donors are lined up behind him