Soup, Stew, Chili, Gumbo (Cold weather eats)

Etexhorn13

On December 1, 2020 at 11:14 PM, Kyrie Eleison said:

pro-tip: an immersion blender is your friend in these situations.

Here's another pro tip: if you're shopping for an immersion blender, don't get one with a child protection device where you have to hold down two buttons on the blender at the same time. No one is dumb enough to put their hand under an immersion blender and you want a free hand to hold the bowl or pot you're blending. I never even conceived such a thing was possible so didn't know any better when I bought mine from Cuisinart. Learn from my mistake. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 7:45 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Got this from a fucking Instagram post. Did it on the stovetop, added a little garlic powder & chicken broth. Shit slammed, yo. 

https://thecozycook.com/crock-pot-creamy-chicken-stew/

This shit is good. We made biscuits to put under the first serving. I added some cubed leftover turkey to the leftovers and put it over cornbread. Even better.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Tamale Pie has now entered my winter rotation... except it seems like they should call it enchilada casserole instead. Either way, slammed hard. 

A2228F8F-B68B-42DC-895C-F1CD11512240.jpeg

yeah, i'm going to need a recipe for this. need to add it to the rotation ASAP

that looks phenomenal

This Tamale Casserole is perfect for leftover tamales.

Enchilada Sauce:
4 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
4 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
3 Tablespoons Chili Powder
4 Cups Beef Broth
6 oz. tomato paste
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, Optional
3/4 teaspoon salt

Casserole:
1 dozen beef, chicken, or pork Tamales, husks removed.
2 cups Enchilada sauce
2 cups grated cheddar jack cheese
2 Tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup Cotija Cheese

Instructions:
In a large skillet over medium heat add oil, flour, and chili powder. Mix until well blended. Stir over heat until thick.
Add 4 cups beef broth, continue stirring until incorporated. Add spices and 6 oz. can of tomato paste. Whisk together until smooth and sauce thickens. Reduce heat to low nd simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350°
Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Line tamales in baking dish. Cover with enchilada sauce, top with cheese, cilantro, and green onion.
Bake for 35-40 minutes until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling. Remove from oven and sprinkle with Cotija cheese.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Maybe once a year I make a San Francisco-style Clam Chowder recipe that my Aunt sent me from a chef friend of hers in the bay area. Made some Sunday night just in time for the cold snap. It's freaking legit.

Fry 6 slices of chopped bacon in a pot.

Add in a diced small onion, 2 chopped celery ribs and 5-6 small red potatoes, chopped into small chunks.  Season with ample amounts of salt, pepper, basil, oregano, parsley, and caraway seeds. Sautee together for 20 minutes or so, stirring frequently.

Meanwhile, in a small pot, make a light blonde roux out of a stick of butter, flour and a couple teaspoons of clam juice. Add roux to the simmering mix and stir until everything is coated. Pour in 3 cans of whole or chopped clams along with all liquid. Stir together and then finally start adding 1/2 and 1/2 until you reach a nice chowder consistency. If too thick, add in some more clam juice to thin it out. Turn heat to low and allow it sit long enough for flavors to mix and make sure potatoes have fully cooked. 

Serve in a bowl with slices of toasted sourdough and ideally, a pint of Anchor Steam. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Anybody have experience with a good shrimp etoufee?  I like a version made by David Rice, Lubys  manager in Corpus, around 1999.  He put extra veggies into his version.  His version was so much better than the regular 1st cooks version I was very surprised he didn’t tell the cook to follow the version with extra veggies.  

41 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

Anybody have experience with a good shrimp etoufee?  I like a version made by David Rice, Lubys  manager in Corpus, around 1999.  He put extra veggies into his version.  His version was so much better than the regular 1st cooks version I was very surprised he didn’t tell the cook to follow the version with extra veggies.  

My MIL gave me a recipe I use for crawfish étouffée that makes a goddamn good version, I’m not sure it would be much different swapping out shrimp. Should be on page 1.

45 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

On 10/23/2020 at 7:56 AM, Etexhorn13 said:

No idea what cookbook this came from, but this is what I used/she sent me when I made it last time. It’s really damn easy - much easier and faster to make than a gumbo. I cooked the veggies in a separate pan so I probably ended up using more butter in my roux than this calls for, but it certainly doesn’t hurt this dish. 

2D6BBEDD-C330-440C-93C7-FA0F0DBF11DA.jpeg

12 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

This one has worked well for me.

3C215463-EE44-4F7E-AFBF-96C0C065A23F.jpeg

6DD407B6-8B5D-4E67-BDC4-D26B1FE8D3C2.jpeg

Would I be correct in assuming "1 1/2 blocks Oleo" = 1 1/2 sticks of butter?

Correct. Although when I was younger, my mother used margarine. Her etouffee is my gold standard, and it’s simple as hell.

Margarine/butter roux. Toss in a lot of trinity. Add some garlic near the end. Then stir in the crawfish tails, hopefully with lots of crawfish butter and liquid. A little bit of water to thin if necessary. Sprinkle of Cajun seasoning if necessary. Done. To do it with shrimp, just save some of the shrimp stock as your thinning liquid.
  • Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

This is the true meaning of Christmas 

As I sit here waiting for the kids to go to bed I am reminded of many Christmas eves at my grandmas with a huge pot of tamales on the stove, a big ornamented tree, a table full of sweets and lots of holiday cheer if you know what I mean. What I would do to live that through the eyes of that kid again. 

• Like 4

On 12/22/2020 at 8:10 AM, ThomasWeek said:

My favorite soup is chicken noddle soup.

spacer.png

Recipe for this soup https://recipes.cafe/en/Chicken-Noodle-Soup-Recipe

This post got me wanting some chicken noodle soup, which I made tonight following the ingredients in this recipe loosely. Did you write this recipe? I ask since you signed up a few days ago and it’s your only post. If you did, I question your grasp on the English language but also offer encouragement because it turned out pretty good, with a few alterations. The actual recipe as written leaves a lot to be interpreted though. 

On 12/15/2020 at 8:27 AM, mycox said:

This Tamale Casserole is perfect for leftover tamales.

Enchilada Sauce:
4 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
4 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
3 Tablespoons Chili Powder
4 Cups Beef Broth
6 oz. tomato paste
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, Optional
3/4 teaspoon salt

Casserole:
1 dozen beef, chicken, or pork Tamales, husks removed.
2 cups Enchilada sauce
2 cups grated cheddar jack cheese
2 Tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup Cotija Cheese

Instructions:
In a large skillet over medium heat add oil, flour, and chili powder. Mix until well blended. Stir over heat until thick.
Add 4 cups beef broth, continue stirring until incorporated. Add spices and 6 oz. can of tomato paste. Whisk together until smooth and sauce thickens. Reduce heat to low nd simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350°
Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Line tamales in baking dish. Cover with enchilada sauce, top with cheese, cilantro, and green onion.
Bake for 35-40 minutes until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling. Remove from oven and sprinkle with Cotija cheese.

who the fuck has leftover tamales?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hunt Stevenson said:

We made a big pot of beef bourguignon today.  Same recipe.  Going to heat up tomorrow for a late lunch/early dinner.  Always think it tastes better reheated.  

I need a good venison stew recipe.  Have a freezer full of elk from a recent hunt. 

Username checks out. 

Welcome to the Surl.

Pics of wife?

Forgot to post, but this is a recipe thats definitely in the rotation. It’s really easy to make with some pretty simple ingredients. I make this when we feel like mixing it up a little, and throw it on top of some riced cauliflower. Double the curry paste and add some cayenne pepper to get some kick. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/easy-chicken-curry-with-vegetables-recipe-2107356.amp

8FBD5EE9-EBBD-412F-9DCC-3DC0C6451E4E.jpeg

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 12/24/2020 at 11:00 AM, Dutch said:

Would I be correct in assuming "1 1/2 blocks Oleo" = 1 1/2 sticks of butter?

Anytime I see Oleo, I can’t help but think of this...

if you’ve ever driven I-71 East out of Cincinanti, you would’ve seen this deal    I remember it being built and we were driving to my grandparents in Pittsburgh and were following 2 trucks carrying His arms   Lulz