Soup, Stew, Chili, Gumbo (Cold weather eats)

Etexhorn13

ok, disclosure - for something new i generally look at a bunch of different recipes and then sort of pick and choose to make up my own, but basically it was this:

1 lb leeks (about 6-7), dark green part removed, washed well and chopped small

3-4 yukon gold potatoes, diced

3T butter

1Q broth (vegetable or chicken)

1c heavy cream

1c milk or buttermilk

added spices: crushed red pepper, fresh thyme, white pepper, garlic powder

melt butter and sautee leeks, adding a good pinch of salt...this is where i added crushed red pepper because we kind of like everything spiced up a bit.

cook on med-low for about 20-25 mins, until they are soft and mostly translucent. don't let them brown! if needed, add a splash of broth to deglaze as they cook. i put the lid on my cast iron to keep the moisture in.

when leeks are ready, add the potatoes and broth and cook until potatoes are fully tender. i added the fresh thyme sprigs here.

when potatoes are done, remove thyme, and either use an immersion blender (recommended) or transfer to regular blender (be careful!), blend until completely smooth.

i added white pepper and garlic powder here, maybe 1t each.

finally, add the cream and milk (sub the buttermilk for the milk but that seemed a little too heavy for what i wanted...but i bet it's freaking awesome lol).

garnish with chives...and i added bacon bc as i've mentioned, my mate has an aversion to anything fully vegetarian 🙄...but it did add a nice touch 😊

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, mchookem said:

white pepper

I have recently realized that this stuff smells like horse shit.  Seriously, manure.

I was being cheap and bought some pepper medley to refill the grinders and my wife pointed it out to me and now my brain is broken every time I use that pepper. 

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I have recently realized that this stuff smells like horse shit.  Seriously, manure.

I was being cheap and bought some pepper medley to refill the grinders and my wife pointed it out to me and now my brain is broken every time I use that pepper. 

I've never used it, I thought it was just to be invisible in lighter colored dishes, which is something I care about not one bit.

25 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

interesting 🤔 i'll report back when i stop sneezing 😄

Never understood white pepper. It don’t taste like black pepper. Pink peppercorns aren’t even pepper. I like knowing how much pepper I put in something.

The worst thing is truffle oil, which tastes like fucking Aqua-Velva on a hot day. It has no truffle in it, just chemicals.

4 hours ago, elfenix said:

all you need to know about pepper is long pepper is the real deal and black pepper is just a cheap replacement. 

Apparently, I know so little about pepper that I never knew "long pepper" existed.  Do you measure with a ruler?  Top or bottom?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/23/2022 at 2:57 PM, mchookem said:

after 30 mins of recovery 😄 i am back to report that the ground McCormick white pepper i am using does not, in fact, smell like manure. it does have a stronger pepper smell than black pepper.

My McCormick ground white pepper has neither a stronger pepper smell nor taste than black pepper. Not my McCormick ground black pepper and especially not freshly ground black peppercorns. I have it because it’s called for in various Cajun/Creole recipes I have.

It’s true that a lot of chefs use white pepper in white creamy dishes for aesthetic reasons. I’m a big fan of black pepper and don’t care about the aesthetics. Jacques Pépin is the same way and whenever he’s adding black pepper to a white creamy dish on his show he says that Julia (Child) would not approve.

I should qualify the above. I do care about aesthetics, just not when it comes to adding black pepper to white creamy dishes. The dining experience is about sight as well as taste and smell. But black flecks of pepper in a white creamy soup isn’t a turnoff. I load my baked or mashed potatoes with black pepper. Why shouldn’t I do the same with potato soup or New England clam chowder?

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I should qualify the above. I do care about aesthetics, just not when it comes to adding black pepper to white creamy dishes. The dining experience is about sight as well as taste and smell. But black flecks of pepper in a white creamy soup isn’t a turnoff. I load my baked or mashed potatoes with black pepper. Why shouldn’t I do the same with potato soup or New England clam chowder?

I think the objection to black pepper in light dishes traces back to when the chefs/cooks smoked cigarettes at the stove.   

No pics but I made a Chorizo Potato Chowder yesterday that everyone destroyed.

In a dutch oven, brown a package of high quality chorizo.

Add a diced onion, 4 minced garlic cloves, and 2 diced roasted red peppers.  Saute until the onion has good color.

Add 1 Tbsp Spanish Paprika, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp Mexican Oregano, salt and pepper.  Stir and let that bloom for a minute.

Add 2 Tbsp flour and stir around until the rawness is gone.

Slowly add 6 cups of chicken stock, stirring to combine.

Add maybe 4 cups of small diced Yukon gold potatoes.

Simmer until the potatoes are tender.  Turn off heat.

Remove 1 cup of broth to a bowl. Whisk in 1 cup of sour cream a bit at a time so it doesn't break. When combined, add to pot.

Stir in 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese until it melts in.  Salt to taste.

Serve with some crusty garlic bread. Garnish with cilantro.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 1/23/2022 at 2:58 AM, mchookem said:

ok, disclosure - for something new i generally look at a bunch of different recipes and then sort of pick and choose to make up my own, but basically it was this:

1 lb leeks (about 6-7), dark green part removed, washed well and chopped small

3-4 yukon gold potatoes, diced

3T butter

1Q broth (vegetable or chicken)

1c heavy cream

1c milk or buttermilk

added spices: crushed red pepper, fresh thyme, white pepper, garlic powder

melt butter and sautee leeks, adding a good pinch of salt...this is where i added crushed red pepper because we kind of like everything spiced up a bit.

cook on med-low for about 20-25 mins, until they are soft and mostly translucent. don't let them brown! if needed, add a splash of broth to deglaze as they cook. i put the lid on my cast iron to keep the moisture in.

when leeks are ready, add the potatoes and broth and cook until potatoes are fully tender. i added the fresh thyme sprigs here.

when potatoes are done, remove thyme, and either use an immersion blender (recommended) or transfer to regular blender (be careful!), blend until completely smooth.

i added white pepper and garlic powder here, maybe 1t each.

finally, add the cream and milk (sub the buttermilk for the milk but that seemed a little too heavy for what i wanted...but i bet it's freaking awesome lol).

garnish with chives...and i added bacon bc as i've mentioned, my mate has an aversion to anything fully vegetarian 🙄...but it did add a nice touch 😊

I made this tonight. It was delicious. Gracias. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I made this tonight. It was delicious. Gracias. 

yay! did you use milk or buttermilk?

as mentioned, i had one more soup on my list...one of my favs, Thai Chicken soup...

20220126_184631.thumb.jpg.9a2bce1e808912ecc104472e2098ae03.jpg20220126_190242.thumb.jpg.da565a26e4459d81ce8e3e32da3fd2bc.jpg

it will, uh, clear your sinuses 😄 lol

other than Mexican (duh), the Thai spices/flavor profiles are my favorite. 

this soup is super simple but you do need a couple specific ingredients. i've cobbled together a few different recipes to make it exactly how i like it...namely i about triple the amount of ginger haha.

this one has chicken breasts, chicken broth, ginger, garlic, green onions, carrots, jalapeno, red bell pepper, roasted Thai chili oil (i buy mine from Madam Mam's), coconut milk, Thai basil, lime zest, lime juice, fish sauce, and cilantro.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/26/2022 at 7:50 PM, mchookem said:

yay! did you use milk or buttermilk?

as mentioned, i had one more soup on my list...one of my favs, Thai Chicken soup...

20220126_184631.thumb.jpg.9a2bce1e808912ecc104472e2098ae03.jpg20220126_190242.thumb.jpg.da565a26e4459d81ce8e3e32da3fd2bc.jpg

it will, uh, clear your sinuses 😄 lol

other than Mexican (duh), the Thai spices/flavor profiles are my favorite. 

this soup is super simple but you do need a couple specific ingredients. i've cobbled together a few different recipes to make it exactly how i like it...namely i about triple the amount of ginger haha.

this one has chicken breasts, chicken broth, ginger, garlic, green onions, carrots, jalapeno, red bell pepper, roasted Thai chili oil (i buy mine from Madam Mam's), coconut milk, Thai basil, lime zest, lime juice, fish sauce, and cilantro.

@uncle roger

When the weather turned "cold" in Houston last week, we went on a little bit of a soup kick too.

If you want the recipes, I can dig them up an post..

Started with a White Chili- Leftover chicken, onion & garlic, stock, cannelini beans, cream cheese, corn, lime, cilantro.  Topped with cheddar, avocado slices and tortilla chips.

Also did a tomato soup--can of crushed tomato, cannelini beans-pureed, lots of sauteed garlic, stock.  Served with a splash of cream and grilled cheese sandwiches

Finally did a chicken noodle.  Stock simmered for about 4-5 hours. This was new to me, but after straining ..took the veggies (carrots, onion, celery) and pureed them and added back to the stock.  It made for a thicker, heartier "soup".  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

How much should I use per 3 to 4 lbs of meat.

If you look at their sodium content per 1/4 tsp, scale up to the recommended 5 Tbsp per 2 lbs meat, you end up with ~ 1 tsp salt (not sodium) per pound of meat, which is pretty spot on for a savory dish, maybe a little high.  (Salt is ~ 39% sodium.)

Edited by jimmyjazz
Didn't notice recipe was for 2 lb meat (not 3 lb)
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2020 at 2:20 PM, kt-horn said:

a buddy of a cousin in Alice, makes the best damn carne guisada. in big roasters. he has his recipe down. he's catered many family events. he makes it with zero cumino, blew me away. he wont share the full recipe 

• Hook 'Em 1

Awesome, Thanks.
Seems like a lot for 2lbs of meat but…

I make this all the time and do 3-4 pounds of meat. I use 4 tbsp. The only time I followed their directions, it turned out way too salty.

The good thing is that you add the seasoning towards the end of cooking so you can start at 3 tablespoons and add a teaspoon at a time and dial it in.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I make this all the time and do 3-4 pounds of meat. I use 4 tbsp. The only time I followed their directions, it turned out way too salty.

The good thing is that you add the seasoning towards the end of cooking so you can start at 3 tablespoons and add a teaspoon at a time and dial it in.

This.  I lightly flour the meat when I brown it, season with bay leaves, peppers, onions etc, let it cook until it’s tender, then at the end I’ll end up using 2 to 3 tablespoons after tasting it first and depending on how thick you want the gravy.  Last batch I threw in a can of fire roasted rotel at the beginning too and it was tasty.  

spacer.png

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Sweet Jesus.

recipe please?

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I was going to ask as well.  I googled some recipes but meh.  

roast brats, half a cabbage (quartered then sliced), and a turnip cut into batons, at 400 until you get some nice charred bits on the cabbage and the brats are browned.  meanwhile, saute your mirepoix a dutch oven.  once nicely cooked, add some crushed garlic and chicken base.  season with salt, pepper, marjoram, and TJ's mushroom umami seasoning.  add quartered gold potatoes and water, bring to boil, reduce to simmer.  when the roasted stuff is ready, add into the pot and continue simmering until potatoes are done.  garnish with chopped celery leaves (or parsley, i had celery leaves). 

i was looking for a fennel bulb for this as well but HEB was out even though it was open

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

made the meat church white chicken chili (in this thread vs chili for obvious reasons)

https://www.meatchurch.com/blogs/recipes/white-chicken-chili

it's damn good and the effort to result ratio is very high - has flexibility (smoked chicken, rotisserie chicken, frozen/pulled chicken) and you can tweak it - make in smoker or crockpot or oven.

next time, I am going to double the rotel.

Spoiler

Ingredients

• 3-4 C cooked chicken, chopped
  • 1 large white or yellow onion, chopped
  • 3 cans Great Northern Beans 
  • 1, 32 oz carton chicken broth (or slightly less for a thicker soup)
  • 1 can Rotel diced tomatoes & green chilies
  • 1, 10oz block of pepper jack cheese, cubed (sub your fav cheese if you don't like the heat)
  • 2 tsp Cumin
  • 2 T Meat Church Texas Chili Seasoning

Garnish

• Shredded cheese

• Sour cream

Tools

• Dutch oven or slow cooker. We make ours in a Lodge 12" / 6 qt Dutch Oven. 

Prepare the chili
Mix all ingredients in a dutch oven or slow cooker. 

If using a smoker or pellet grill
Prepare your smoker at 225 using hickory or pecan wood.

Place the dutch oven in the smoker. Cook for 3 - 4 hours uncovered. Stir at least every hour. Cover and simmer to hold until supper time.

If using a slow cooker
Cook on medium setting for 3 - 4 hours. You can increase to a hotter setting if time is not on your side as these ingredients are already cooked. You are simply trying to break down the chicken and meld the flavors.

Top each serving with shredded cheese. We like to add freshly cracked black pepper and a dollop of sour cream. This is great served with corn bread. We hope you enjoy as much as our family does!

• Hook 'Em 1