Soup, Stew, Chili, Gumbo (Cold weather eats)

Etexhorn13

Made a staple for us last night.  Something my mom calls "State Fair Soup" as I guess it won some award at the State Fair a long time back.  It's easy and takes no time but is delicious.

1 Rotisserie Chicken

2 cans of chicken and rice soup

2 cans of spicy Ranch Style Beans

1 can of hot Rotel

1 package of taco seasoning

1 package of dry ranch dressing mix

Chicken stock to cover

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ocugolf said:

Made a staple for us last night.  Something my mom calls "State Fair Soup" as I guess it won some award at the State Fair a long time back.  It's easy and takes no time but is delicious.

1 Rotisserie Chicken

1 can of hot Rotel

Chicken stock to cover

Strip that rotisserie and make homeade stock first.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, LW Goatman said:

Strip that rotisserie and make homeade stock first.

I would usually agree, but for an "easy and takes no time" meal that you can pull together last-minute at HEB (when open) without the extra time to make stock, this looks like a damned good recipe for me to try this fall.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ocugolf said:

1 Rotisserie Chicken

1 can of hot Rotel

Chicken stock to cover

I'm guessing simmer on medium-low for 45 minutes, or do you just dump it in a bowl and everyone gets a spoon?  Or, given the name, you roll it into a ball, freeze, and deep fry it, don't you?  Magnificent!

Edited by dcbc

This recipe for Puerto Rican pork and beans is really damn good. Made this recently in a pressure cooker and it took about 45 minutes. I prefer white beans over kidney beans and serving over cilantro rice. It’s gonna go in the rotation for sure.

Edit: If making it in a pressure cooker just reduce the liquid by a cup or two.

https://foodiemcfooderson.wordpress.com/2012/01/16/jaques-pepins-puerto-rican-pork-and-beans/

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, dcbc said:

I'm guessing simmer on medium-low for 45 minutes, or do you just dump it in a bowl and everyone gets a spoon?  Or, given the name, you roll it into a ball, freeze, and deep fry it, don't you?  Magnificent!

Lol. Yes. Simmer on medium low for 30-40 minutes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Made one of our favorites last night (sorry didn't think to take a pic). Basically like a picadillo, but a little soupier. 1.5lb hamburger. Can of petite diced tomatoes. 8oz tomato sauce. 15oz can of beef broth. Diced up potatoes at about the same amount as the meat. Can of corn. 

Cook the meat. Lightly seasoned with s&p (sometimes I'll do fiesta fajita seasoning). A little chili powder and cumino at the end. A little minced garlic. Then add the diced tomatoes, sauce and broth. Season with s&p to taste. Bring to a boil. While I'm cooking the meat I peal the potatoes. Chop them up, rinse, then keep in covered in water. Once I get the mix to a boil I drain the potatoes, reserving the water, and add the potatoes. Add s&p to taste/eyeball for the potatoes. Add enough of the reserved water to cover the potatoes. Simmer 20ish minutes. Test the taste during this time and add seasoning if needed. Once the 20 minutes is up add the corn, stir it in, a little s&p to taste/eyeball for added corn. Turn off and let sit five minutes. 

I s&p most things to taste, and when adding the additions I'll do my s&p in those steps because it's easier to eyeball it. Just don't go overboard because you can always taste after it sits for 5 minutes and add a little more then if needed.

I keep a couple of cheap salsas from HEB (Del Primo Verde and Roja) to add to my own bowl of stuff like this: 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I made my cheater (using herdez salsa verde) green chile stew the other night, but I made it with chicken.  It was okay, but not as good as with pork.  It came out a bit tart.  I made a smaller batch, and maybe went too heavy on the salsa compared to the stock/broth.  I'll have to try again, see if I can tweak it.  Because my wife prefers chicken over pork.

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I made my cheater (using herdez salsa verde) green chile stew the other night, but I made it with chicken.  It was okay, but not as good as with pork.  It came out a bit tart.  I made a smaller batch, and maybe went too heavy on the salsa compared to the stock/broth.  I'll have to try again, see if I can tweak it.  Because my wife prefers chicken over pork.

I'd need to go back and look at your prior posts, or just be lazy and ask:  what's your go-to cut of pork for that stew?  Shoulder/butt or more of a loin cut?

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I'd need to go back and look at your prior posts, or just be lazy and ask:  what's your go-to cut of pork for that stew?  Shoulder/butt or more of a loin cut?

Shoulder.  Ideally, even something with some bone - makes for tastier stock.  "Country style" pork ribs are a go-to for me for this.

On 10/20/2022 at 9:23 AM, ocugolf said:

1 Rotisserie Chicken

1 can of hot Rotel

Chicken stock to cover

Made this today. Needed something easy that will feed my kids for the next two days. Turned out great.

84ADA803-24A6-4C0A-8AFC-A2F19257F89D.jpeg

8975CDDA-5C5A-4DD7-917C-4BE9A8D2317E.jpeg

5E9DED3E-D0AD-4070-B753-A91E2EF0735C.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

On 10/26/2022 at 10:02 AM, Brisketexan said:

what do you put in your pork green chili stew ?

i want to buy a pack of country pork ribs for green chili stew in the crock pot 

18 hours ago, South Austin said:

Made this today. Needed something easy that will feed my kids for the next two days. Turned out great.

84ADA803-24A6-4C0A-8AFC-A2F19257F89D.jpeg

8975CDDA-5C5A-4DD7-917C-4BE9A8D2317E.jpeg

5E9DED3E-D0AD-4070-B753-A91E2EF0735C.jpeg

id eat that. want to go next level ? (it's easy) .... make some homemade corn tortillas. so easy and tasty. dont be afraid to season up the masa a little ...

000117527?fit=constrain,1&wid=800&hei=80

• Hook 'Em 1

The San Diego dudes can chime in as I know they’ve heard about the chicken soup at Lourdes.  The original is in Escondido but I always drop by the Cardiff location when I’m in town.  This soup is fantastic - tons of chicken, rice, avocados sliced and placed on top and some secret seasoning that definitely involves chiles of some kind.

6FA7792D-614B-4752-BEF1-A20A5AB9131C.thumb.jpeg.da42b789fc9affb47669921e72c4d0d2.jpeg

I’ve tried recreating the recipes from knock off versions I’ve found online but hasn’t been the same.  Next trip to SD, hit up Lourdes:

Lourdes - 2113 San Elijo Ave, Cardiff, CA 92007 or Escondido location.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

what do you put in your pork green chili stew ?

i want to buy a pack of country pork ribs for green chili stew in the crock pot 

See my answer below -- that's what I usually use.  But be sure to brown them first, adds a layer of flavor.

On 10/26/2022 at 10:31 AM, Brisketexan said:

Shoulder.  Ideally, even something with some bone - makes for tastier stock.  "Country style" pork ribs are a go-to for me for this.

15 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Technically Poland is Central Europe, but I’ve been wanting to make Bigos, except I’m worried I’ll be the only one that will like it.  

so?

getting about time to make some.  nice thing is you can kinda put whatever you want in it.  it doesn't end up sour, at least in my experience.   drain and rinse your kraut.

Edited by elfenix

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Potato soup is one of those things I never think about making, and then when I have some, I think "man, I need to regularly make potato soup".

I made it in may InstaPot too.  Took about 1.5 hours total.  (15 minutes to sauté the bacon, onion, garlic and butter, then another hour & 15 pressure cooked soup)

16 Yukon gold potatoes cubed

1 medium white onion

5 cloves garlic

1/2 pint of heavy cream

4 pieces thick sliced bacon

1 stick butter

4 medium sized carrots

4 medium sized celery sticks

16 oz chicken stock 

1/2 a beer 

Salt & pepper to taste

put the chopped carrot and celery into a blender with the chicken stock and purée.  

after the onion, garlic, bacon and butter has sautéed, drop the other ingredients into the pressure cooker and let it go to town.   

made enough for the wife and I to have 2 bowls each last night and have 2 bowls each of leftovers.  Perfect for lunch at the office.  

• Hook 'Em 4

Did potato soup yesterday as well. Cheesy, Bacony AF potato soup. Again, no picture, but I'll start taking pictures, I guess. 

Fry up 24oz pack of the HEB original bacon. (Actually fried up half stove-top, did the other half in the air fryer, because I didn't want to fry all of that bacon that many batches. About 8-9 minutes on 400 in our air fryer. Pieces were cut in half).

Get it nice a crispy, put to the side.

Sautee a whole chopped sweet onion. Put to the side.

Peel and cut up into medium size to large pieces a 5lb bag of russets. 

Boil them in 48oz of chicken broth plus water to top by about half an inch. I throw a little S&P in there.

Boil until fork tender. 

Stir in can of cream of celery, Stir in can of cream of chicken.

This is where I season to taste, keeping in mind shit's about to get cheesy. I just do S&P and some Garlic powder

Add half of a small block of velveeta/easy melt

Add 8 to 16oz of shredded cheddar or colby jack or however much of whatever much you want. I lean to 16oz, but some don't like it too cheesy.

Once it all melts check your consistency and all of that. If you're good you're good, if not add more cheese, ditch some liquid or whatever. 

Crumble up the bacon

Add the onions and the bacon (reserve some bacon if you want fresh crispy bacon as a topping)

I let it sit 5-10 minutes and then give it a good stir before serving. 

14 hours ago, LW Goatman said:

Ignore the name, but my wife asked me to make this and it was legit good. I followed the recipe as written, used some of my hatch green chili stash, and substituted rotisserie chicken.

https://thecozycook.com/white-chicken-chili/

That's not too far from how I do it. Shit is really, really good and easy. 

Dice up a few (3-5) jalapenos and an onion. Sautee in olive oil until onions are translucent. Throw in some minced garlic at the end until its fragrant. I also dice up some jarred roasted red bell peppers and throw them in as well.  You can use raw bell peppers and cook them up with the onions and jalapenos too, but the roasted tastes better and gives it some depth. Add some chili powder, cumin and paprika. Stir the spices into the veggies and cook for about a minute. 

Puree one can of pinto beans and one can of white northern beans (both drained). Dump them into the pot with the veggies and stir. Throw in a shredded rotisserie chicken and a can of diced tomatoes (drained).  Add some chicken broth to your desired consistency. Bring to boil. Reduce to simmer. Let that shit go for 45 min or an hour. Salt and pepper to taste. Add some cayenne if the japs don't give it enough heat on their own. 

On 10/27/2022 at 6:21 PM, RMac5 said:

Chicken and sausage, roux could be darker. This recipe makes a crap ton. Damn right that’s a hard boiled egg. 

B75FDB1E-4B4F-4ADE-A5BE-B2B96381B60A.jpeg

4EC9B0A8-5E37-4C81-B1CF-2DA2ED3233ED.jpeg

Dammit that looks fantastic. I've been doing chicken and sausage gumo lately, but I buy a prepared roux or whatever. Used to do it all from scratch, I just never had the patience to get it dark enough. Maybe I should try again.

for the chicken I smoke boneless chicken thighs. I love the extra smoke. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

Did potato soup yesterday as well. Cheesy, Bacony AF potato soup. Again, no picture, but I'll start taking pictures, I guess. 

Fry up 24oz pack of the HEB original bacon. (Actually fried up half stove-top, did the other half in the air fryer, because I didn't want to fry all of that bacon that many batches. About 8-9 minutes on 400 in our air fryer. Pieces were cut in half).

Get it nice a crispy, put to the side.

Sautee a whole chopped sweet onion. Put to the side.

Peel and cut up into medium size to large pieces a 5lb bag of russets. 

Boil them in 48oz of chicken broth plus water to top by about half an inch. I throw a little S&P in there.

Boil until fork tender. 

Stir in can of cream of celery, Stir in can of cream of chicken.

This is where I season to taste, keeping in mind shit's about to get cheesy. I just do S&P and some Garlic powder

Add half of a small block of velveeta/easy melt

Add 8 to 16oz of shredded cheddar or colby jack or however much of whatever much you want. I lean to 16oz, but some don't like it too cheesy.

Once it all melts check your consistency and all of that. If you're good you're good, if not add more cheese, ditch some liquid or whatever. 

Crumble up the bacon

Add the onions and the bacon (reserve some bacon if you want fresh crispy bacon as a topping)

I let it sit 5-10 minutes and then give it a good stir before serving. 

Bake the potatoes and leave them in the fridge overnight.  Peel them the next day and make the potato soup form that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

well...when in Rome, eh...😁

20221031_170858.thumb.jpg.94bfa38a476603337d084c71e7d05de7.jpg20221031_174638.thumb.jpg.67bef0580b244138ed6c19d097a1a86f.jpg20221031_180317.thumb.jpg.8065cefa9b1a2d61249367dd6c55a197.jpg20221031_183311.thumb.jpg.32bef6ba12f027caa7ddca341ce0f0d9.jpg

chicken green chili!

inspired by the Denver flea Market this weekend that had a huge Mexican produce section. i had no idea what i was doing... scratch that, i do know what I'm doing in the kitchen, obviously 😊 i just didn't follow a recipe, went on instinct. never cooked a tomatillo before!

blended everything in first pic for a sauce, retaining some of the liquid. chicken thighs diced and browned with chili powder, comino, chile-lime seasoning, onion, garlic and another sliced jalapeno. added one cube each Knorr caldo de tomate y caldo de pollo, then flour, then the blended sauce. let it simmer for an hour, adding the leftover cooking liquid as needed...

20221031_192834.thumb.jpg.78c6c09fab3f18c5d90d6dd29e608ab2.jpg

served over white rice, finished with fresh squeezed lime, cilantro, and sharp cheddar.

good-damn.gif.9b0c9258d40bf9f444fee71d176a55bc.gif

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3