Soup, Stew, Chili, Gumbo (Cold weather eats)

Etexhorn13

My wife asked me to make this hamburger stew tonight, so I obliged. This was super easy, pretty quick, and very tasty. Served with cornbread but I could also see not adding potatoes and serving over mashed potatoes to make a lazy shepherds pie or something. Anyway, I’d eat it again, it was damn good. Not my picture but you get the idea 

https://www.saltandlavender.com/hamburger-stew/
IMG_4328.thumb.jpeg.f28e9e6ac66c82d86b8ee8c06985057a.jpeg

This is a staple in our family. Both our moms made it. I make a huge pot and vac seal and freeze it. It’s basically ground beef, onions, celery, carrots, peas, corn, crushed tomatoes, beef stock, seasonings. No taters. Wife likes those little Lima beans in it. I don’t.
Castiron skillet of cornbread.

We eat it at last several meals a month.
  • Hook 'Em 4

10 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

My wife asked me to make this hamburger stew tonight, so I obliged. This was super easy, pretty quick, and very tasty. Served with cornbread but I could also see not adding potatoes and serving over mashed potatoes to make a lazy shepherds pie or something. Anyway, I’d eat it again, it was damn good. Not my picture but you get the idea 

IMG_4328.jpeg

Well now I know what I’m doing with that extra pound of ground beef I bought.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Well now I know what I’m doing with that extra pound of ground beef I bought.

Very similar to beef stew recipe I posted pic of on last page; however, after I brown the chuck roast, I deglaze with about a cup of red wine.  Beef stew bourguignon.

1 hour ago, baboso said:

Very similar to beef stew recipe I posted pic of on last page; however, after I brown the chuck roast, I deglaze with about a cup of red wine.  Beef stew bourguignon.

I told my wife afterwards that I thought this same recipe would be good with chuck roast instead of ground beef so that makes sense. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, dlatin said:

First gumbo of the season…and got our tree switched over at the start of the year. We were gifted a king cake that lasted a day. Not bad, we normally get a Randazzo’s cake mailed to us.

a698c87562a839eb055e490d027b13e0.jpg
bd6a08a7d1b559889d8e8703a2402202.jpg
230453bf557184f2aaf757acabba9e27.jpg
36ea228f6ed06b58d7fc29a46cd150e2.jpg
4d1b93f10eb0d643ed1c9e087a93d452.jpg
4854ed4ba2baefae660e1a3a3581869b.jpg

I get a Randazzo every year from a colleague in NOLA.  Love it.  I have a hall pass Thursday and I’m making my first seafood gumbo of the season.  

On 1/8/2024 at 4:27 PM, elfenix said:

i've made it, pretty sure i've posted pics around here somewhere but i can't find the posts with the googles.  good weather for it. 

edit: found one of my old pics

MVIMG_20191216_214829.thumb.jpg.81b1ed0518f3847d5faa5045421dbf48.jpg

Making it this weekend. Maybe Friday for Saturday dinner. 

You put prunes in yours?

I have no faith in my ability to make this, as I have zero frame of reference. But I’d definitely like to try some.
Texas renn fest has a good bowl at the Polish cafe (reportedly run by Polonia restaurant in Houston). Also Paulanner on tap.

Had some gumbo at a friends house on Monday.

I'm not one to bag on another's cooking, especially as a host...but this was terrible.

He's from Louisiana too.

No veggies, no seasoning, no spice.

Basically just a flavorless roux/broth with sausage.

Is this a thing?

Last time he made it, he served it with potato salad, which I know is a thing for certain areas of LA, but the gumbo itself was not good.

I made Meat Church chili recipe this weekend and it's good, flavor is there and all that but it didn't make a "gravy" it's just a thin liquid.  

I would make that MC chili by browning that meat with some Wondra flour which will act like a roux. I hate watery chili.

Had some gumbo at a friends house on Monday.
I'm not one to bag on another's cooking, especially as a host...but this was terrible.
He's from Louisiana too.
No veggies, no seasoning, no spice.
Basically just a flavorless roux/broth with sausage.
Is this a thing?
Last time he made it, he served it with potato salad, which I know is a thing for certain areas of LA, but the gumbo itself was not good.

Next time, tell him you like your gumbo Cincinnati style and ask for the cinnamon and spaghetti noodles. Report back on his response.

So, this isn't my gumbo, but it's one I've eaten many, many times.  It's the special at Lake Jackson Seafood down in Brazoria county.  This is their regular "special" -- a large bowl of gumbo and two pieces of fried fish, for $13.

image.png.a9af523f92b3dc3abcdf8d8ecbd37eb5.png

And a PRO move?  Take at least one of those fried fish filets, break it up, and drop it into the bowl of gumbo.  Splash of louisiana hot sauce.  Happiness.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Drool 3

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And a PRO move?  Take at least one of those fried fish filets, break it up, and drop it into the bowl of gumbo.  Splash of louisiana hot sauce.  Happiness.

I’m not sure you can call putting the fried fish a PRO move, because it’s obvious to anyone that’s what you do.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I’m not sure you can call putting the fried fish a PRO move, because it’s obvious to anyone that’s what you do.

Well, I'm ashamed to admit that @Pescado_Rojo and I both discovered that move together - we were down there fishing, went there for dinner, and the old man at the table next to us was making that move.  And we both muttered "goddamned genius."  Mind you, our coonass bonafides are established.  It just hadn't occurred to us.  In fairness, neither of us is particularly bright.

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So, this isn't my gumbo, but it's one I've eaten many, many times.  It's the special at Lake Jackson Seafood down in Brazoria county.  This is their regular "special" -- a large bowl of gumbo and two pieces of fried fish, for $13.

Surprisingly, Walk On’s has good gumbo and good fried catfish, I dip the catfish into the gumbo like chips and salsa.  It’s a great combo and dipping individually keeps the fish crispy. Thanks for the heads up @Brisketexan several weeks/months ago on a pro staff eating thread.

On 1/15/2024 at 7:27 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

IMG_4328.jpeg

Great recommendation. Easy and tasty, and I needed a meal to last a couple days. 

IMG_8365.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5

On 1/19/2024 at 2:11 PM, Brisketexan said:

Lived in B-county near LJ for longer than I want to remember.  Don't ever remember Lake Jackson Seafood location.  I will look for it the next time I'm down that way.  However, if you find yourself over near Beaumont/Sour Lake on SH 105 go to Vautrots Cajun Cuisine.   They make some fine gumbo.  We usually get a gallon to take to my dad once a year down South.  The Uncle Emeritts sampler platter feeds the wife and I just fine.

Vautrot's Cajun Cuisine | Family Restaurant (vautrotscajuncuisine.com)

LAISSEZ LES BONS TEMPS ROULER!

Lunch recommendations in Freeport, Talk About Good.  

Catering Service, Wedding Caterer, Caterer - Freeport, TX (talkaboutgood.biz)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2024 at 10:43 PM, elfenix said:

Yep. Decided to make a batch today. Braised in the oven to get some browning on top

7b7debcb447c2ee0b65379f06d1ed23a.jpg

On 1/16/2024 at 10:43 PM, elfenix said:

You have a recipe?  SIAP but the recipes I find online are all over the place as far as types of meat etc (other than sausage).

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

51 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

You have a recipe?  SIAP but the recipes I find online are all over the place as far as types of meat etc (other than sausage).

it's really a no recipe dish.  this one was beef because i didn't want to break down an pork shoulder and freeze half of it and beef pot roast was about half the price of boneless pork country ribs.

generally:

brown 1 ring pork and venison sausage and approx 2.5# stewing meat in bacon fat.  once done start cooking down either 1 really large (HEB) or 2 more normal sized onions, a small head of cabbage or half a large one, and some chopped/shredded carrots.  add a can of tomato paste and then deglaze with red wine.  add a 32 oz jar or two 14 oz cans of sauerkraut (with juice for some sourness) along with reconstituted mushrooms (and some mushroom liquid), a 28 oz can of peeled tomatoes (mash them up a bit), about a cup of chopped prunes, caraway seeds, marjoram, bay leaves, pepper and a few tablespoons of chicken base.  there is probably plenty of liquid at that point, but if not add more wine or water or mushroom liquid. 

usually i use the pressure cooker on whatever timer i find for pork shoulder, check for doneness and seasoning and put back under pressure if need be or simmer for desired consistency. 

one recipe suggested apples which i hadn't done before.  don't really think they added much.  also used juniper berries which are not entirely pleasant to eat, though maybe i could have smashed them better.  potatoes are optional in the cook.

• Hook 'Em 2

8897b8b172d455c5e8991ef07402580c.jpg

Might get me banned but I tried the Wendy’s canned chili tonight LOL

It’s sucks. But might not be a bad idea to stash on the counter for a night you’re in a pinch. It won’t win any awards but if you have some tots you need to get rid of, I mean I’ve had shittier meals

• Prepare your anus 1