Soup, Stew, Chili, Gumbo (Cold weather eats)

Etexhorn13

In all honesty, if I'm someplace where food options are limited, I'd eat Wendy's "chili" with a clear conscience.

If you want to get adventurous…get a Wendy’s double cheese with pickles only and a Wendy’s chili with cheese and onion and drown the burger/fries in it.

Redneck chili burger
  • Drool 1

22 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Not a GD thing wrong with Wendy’s chili. 

I assume it still has beans in it.  If so, they should have a "Texas style" without beans.

I worked at Wendy's for two years in high school.  There are some myths about the chain out there.  One is that the chili uses "burnt hamburger meat".  No, it doesn't.  Standard practice was to have (at least) a couple of patties cooking on the griddle at all times so as to be able to serve to order quickly if customers showed up.  Inevitably, some of those patties reached "done" with no customers ready to order, so into the "chili meat" container they went.  We'd collect several pounds worth and freeze for future use.

• Like 1

Wife does a good job with a copycat recipe of their chili. 

22 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I assume it still has beans in it.  If so, they should have a "Texas style" without beans.

I worked at Wendy's for two years in high school.  There are some myths about the chain out there.  One is that the chili uses "burnt hamburger meat".  No, it doesn't.  Standard practice was to have (at least) a couple of patties cooking on the griddle at all times so as to be able to serve to order quickly if customers showed up.  Inevitably, some of those patties reached "done" with no customers ready to order, so into the "chili meat" container they went.  We'd collect several pounds worth and freeze for future use.

Texas Style would be an excellent idea. 

Coney I-Lander in Tulsa--you can order their chili with or without beans. It was a great post fb game stop when I was in high school. Not so long ago was back with one of the kids visiting family and stopped in. The boy ate four or five chili dogs; I lost count he was eating them so fast.

Here's the menu, although their pics don't do it justice.

https://www.coneyi-lander.com/menu/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Coney I-Lander in Tulsa--you can order their chili with or without beans. It was a great post fb game stop when I was in high school. Not so long ago was back with one of the kids visiting family and stopped in. The boy ate four or five chili dogs; I lost count he was eating them so fast.

IMG_8804.jpeg

20 years ago, I had a big-ass federal case in Tulsa. I was up there a lot. What is near the federal courthouse? Yep, the downtown outpost of that joint.
Did I eat a lot of their chili dogs that year? Yes. Yes I did. They were excellent.
And then I’d go back into the magistrate’s chambers to argue over our 20,000 trial exhibits. No ragrets.

Hey gang, I’ve eaten plenty of chili from the student union and I ordered and paid with junior, fastest cashier in the west. Wendy’s chili is great for fast food. But I’m still gonna take wolf brand over Wendy’s when it comes to a can.

None of it compares to me cooking it home using snow dogs recipe from shaggy. I don’t even bother with reconstituting chilis that often and just go with powder and it’s amazeballs.

21 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I worked at the Wendy's on Lake Creek pkwy around '96, and the chili was often made with overcooked and dried out burgers.  

38 minutes ago, Chips O'Toole said:

I worked at the Wendy's on Lake Creek pkwy around '96, and the chili was often made with overcooked and dried out burgers.  

Then you had bad management because that was absolutely contrary to the recipe.

19 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

20 years ago, I had a big-ass federal case in Tulsa. I was up there a lot. What is near the federal courthouse? Yep, the downtown outpost of that joint.
Did I eat a lot of their chili dogs that year? Yes. Yes I did. They were excellent.
And then I’d go back into the magistrate’s chambers to argue over our 20,000 trial exhibits. No ragrets.

We’ve got more Coney Islander places than Braum’s up here and that’s saying a lot.  I may have to go sample some this weekend.

IMG_0175.thumb.jpeg.c4ddaba304b357fece9bf0bfa7c6bd41.jpeg

Aside from the Original Coney Islander locations, there are dozens of knock offs all over town. One on south Memorial Drive in Bixby is called Moondogs and is next door to a dispensary.  Now if that’s not American capitalism at its finest, I don’t know what is.  How convenient…

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/9/2024 at 1:57 PM, DoobieWah said:

H‑E‑B Chili No Beans fills the pantry space formerly occupied by Wolf Brand. 

Used for hot dogs and frozen burritos.

Wolf brand sure went to chit. Last time I tried it was like chili soup. Wolf brand chili over bread in the microwave was a quick fix as a kid. If getting fancy, add grated cheese and some chopped onion.

• Like 2

Wolf brand sure went to chit. Last time I tried it was like chili soup. Wolf brand chili over bread in the microwave was a quick fix as a kid. If getting fancy, add grated cheese and some chopped onion.

Wife bought two six packs at Sam’s a while back. Don’t know when we’ll plow through it. It’s not the same. You really have to doctor it up.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2024 at 1:03 PM, Chips O'Toole said:

I'll have you know that my managers were all extremely shitty, and I'm aghast at the accusation they they were merely "bad". 

I am somewhat ashamed that I remember this, but I have seen it mentioned that Dave Thomas started selling chili distinctly for the purpose of utilizing left over hamburgers/meat.  I believe in some business publication on Dave and his business acumen. 

Every now and again I have to get my JCI Frito pie fix with a side of cheese fries.   Now that I’m an old man I do this in the daylight and stone sober. 
IMG_9940.thumb.jpeg.f438f03c552b8cfd53e1369260db4b3e.jpeg

Are they only in Houston as far as Texas goes?

21 minutes ago, deft said:

Are they only in Houston as far as Texas goes?

The only one I know of that is still operating is at 290 & Hollister.   Maybe the Meyerland locations is still operating but I haven’t stopped to verify that location. 

Westheimer at Bering and Town & County are GOOB.   Richmond and Shepherd is now Trill Burger.  No clue about the downtown location  

The good old days are good and gone. 

for a few years in the early 2000s

Yep. Wife and I are Houston natives, and our kids were young back when that location was there. Wife has always been a huge JCI fan. Did we go there for her birthday dinner one year, kids in tow? Yes we did. It was awesome.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep. Wife and I are Houston natives, and our kids were young back when that location was there. Wife has always been a huge JCI fan. Did we go there for her birthday dinner one year, kids in tow? Yes we did. It was awesome.

Leah Remini Budget GIF by TV Land

17 hours ago, deadshank said:

The only one I know of that is still operating is at 290 & Hollister.   Maybe the Meyerland locations is still operating but I haven’t stopped to verify that location. 

Westheimer at Bering and Town & County are GOOB.   Richmond and Shepherd is now Trill Burger.  No clue about the downtown location  

The good old days are good and gone. 

Is SRO still over there?

Posted (edited)

C’est bon, bitches. I don’t do potato salad with mine (Cajun wife does), but I gotta make garlic bread every time I make gumbo. 

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

Looks delicious.  Is that an old Magnalite stock pot?

It is a McWare pot that my MIL let me keep… the magnalite stuff from Grandmother in law comes later. The aluminum pots are great. If I hadn’t been busy chopping all the veggies and couldve had heat as high as I normally do, that roux would’ve been done in about 20 min 

IMG_4706.jpeg

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

C’est bon, bitches. I don’t do potato salad with mine (Cajun wife does), but I gotta make garlic bread every time I make gumbo. 

It is a McWare pot that my MIL let me keep… the magnalite stuff from Grandmother in law comes later. The aluminum pots are great. If I hadn’t been busy chopping all the veggies and couldn’t had heat as high as I normally do, that roux would’ve been done in about 20 min 

IMG_4706.jpeg

With induction, unfortunately for me, I can't do aluminum without an adapter.  I've got one of my mom's cast-aluminum omelette pans, and it's such a great piece, which hangs on my wall unused. 

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I used to go to that one when I was in law school.  My favorite story about the Westheimer location was the dinner after my eleventh birthday party.  We were at JCI, and my parents hired a Michael Jackson impersonator to show up at the party . . . about a year or so after MJ ceased to be cool (to 5th graders).  I have memory-burn about that dude trying to get me to dance with him in front of all of my friends.  In hindsight, sticking to my guns and sticking to my seat probably was a watershed moment in my life for the better.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, dcbc said:

With induction, unfortunately for me, I can't do aluminum without an adapter.  I've got one of my mom's cast-aluminum omelette pans, and it's such a great piece, which hangs on my wall unused. 

I used to go to that one when I was in law school.  My favorite story about the Westheimer location was the dinner after my eleventh birthday party.  We were at JCI, and my parents hired a Michael Jackson impersonator to show up at the party . . . about a year or so after MJ ceased to be cool (to 5th graders).  I have memory-burn about that dude trying to get me to dance with him in front of all of my friends.  In hindsight, sticking to my guns and sticking to my seat probably was a watershed moment in my life for the better.

I didn’t know your name was Lisa 

image.gif.b5c2f842add85b1e90deb461241a379a.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1