Texas Spring Football Game 2018

Fug

33 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

We've been irrelevant in college football for 8+ years.   Pathetic doesn't begin to describe that.  Maybe abysmal does.  Actually, pathetic better suits it.

You need a (somewhat) transcendent QB to change that.  But we haven't had it, and don't this season.  Whether being overweight, injury prone, lacking playmaking capability. accuracy or a combination of all, our QB position is still just so underwhelming.    Nothing tonight changes that opinion.

Forget about them winning games this season. Wishful thinking is that the QB position doesn't lose games. That didn't go our way last year so not sure why I should feel better about things this season.

And my God can Galindo be more of a douche?  Doubtful.

It's hilarious when people predict the season based on the spring game.

Edited by thepop

Yes I know it’s just a spring game. I have been pretty negative on Buchele and even Ehlinger, but seeing Rising & Thompson has given me hope. They just look like QBs. I know it was against a bunch of nobodies, but their movements and grasp of the position just seems natural. Buchele is not good. Ehlinger is efforting his way to an okay QB. He is forcing it. I respect that. But Rising & Thompson just seem natural. 

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

But Rising & Thompson just seem natural

I think it also helps that the current head coach and architect of the offense is the guy who recruited them here, which cannot be said for Sam or Shane.

That said, I agree both look good for freshmen. Still hope they both redshirt or at worst one of them (probably Rising) is the emergency QB who plays in mop-up duty only.

21 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Yes I know it’s just a spring game. I have been pretty negative on Buchele and even Ehlinger, but seeing Rising & Thompson has given me hope. They just look like QBs. I know it was against a bunch of nobodies, but their movements and grasp of the position just seems natural. Buchele is not good. Ehlinger is efforting his way to an okay QB. He is forcing it. I respect that. But Rising & Thompson just seem natural. 

Shane is playing in the wrong offense for his skill set. Sam is pretty average at everything. The two freshman will produce a player at that position for us. Bad part about the deal is one will move on. 

I'm late to the party but here's my $.02:

I didn't see a giant leap forward out there - which is disappointing - but I did see improvement.

You can tell the S&C program is having an effect. Our guys are big, strong, fast, and don't tire. That won us games last year and it will again this year.
That's Herman's biggest impact so far and even if it can't be easily measured doesn't mean it should be discounted.

The OL gets a pass but they were kind of meh. So was the run game. Be funny if Yoder gets carries next year. Young must've had a big 4/20.
QBs look the same. Ehlinger made some good throws. Freshmen too.
Our defense is gonna wreck shit again this year. 
I was happy with Rowland. Hope those made field goals don't go St. Elmo's fire on gameday.

Overall my expectations are tempered for 2018. Until the koolaid kicks in late August sometime. But we're seeing improvement and the talent keeps coming.

Edited by Disco Missile

Missed the game live, but watched it on DVR. Defense looks great, offense still looks lost.

Why don't we work on running the ball more?  How many times did we even hand it off to a running back?  It seems odd to abandon the running game in a practice, but we seem to do it with regularity in games, so why not I guess. 

It is nice to see some actual depth and promise at the QB position. 

3 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Why don't we work on running the ball more?  How many times did we even hand it off to a running back?  It seems odd to abandon the running game in a practice, but we seem to do it with regularity in games, so why not I guess. 

O line is patchwork (we don't even have enough linemen to field full units for both teams) and RB depth is perilously thin right now. I would have liked to see a few more runs, but our already not great offensive roster had even less to work with.

We have enough RBs to run the ball more than 10 times. How do we expect to run the ball against decent defenses if we don't even commit to it in a scrimmage situation? 

This staff seems to have a penchant for just forgetting about the run game for large stretches of time. Very Greg Davis. 

8 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

We have enough RBs to run the ball more than 10 times. How do we expect to run the ball against decent defenses if we don't even commit to it in a scrimmage situation? 

This staff seems to have a penchant for just forgetting about the run game for large stretches of time. Very Greg Davis. 

I agree with you generally, and I'm sure we'll be bitching about it in the fall, but Herman's schemes (and really any scheme) requires an OL with some level of cohesion, not a mish-mash of players out of position (e.g., Okafor at guard). There was just no way we were going to move the ball with the run game today, and we really needed the offense to have some sustained reps, which meant relying on the short passing game. Hell, it was pulling teeth just to punch it in from the goal line (on the bright side, I don't recall running QB power once in those situations).

Edited by Machinator

Well I'm skeptical of that too, but even if I were optimistic I certainly wouldn't expect much from the offense today.

I honestly didn't have much fault with the playcalling today, vanilla though it was, other than a couple gimmicks that we should scrap (Duvernay WR pass and Hager screen). It's going to come down to better execution and player development at OL and QB. And honestly, better recruiting at RB.

It was a fucking Spring Game. There were good moments, bad moments and normal Spring Game-ish things. I like to think this was the last time we see such a poor offensive line at Texas moving forward, and I do believe the fall version at OL will be much improved. We have got to get over this fucking O-line hump. Hearing Mack Brown talk about our O-line today made me a bit ragey, considering he was the one who started us on this path of garbage O-line. 

Edited by Sejjr
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

Hand’s only gotten the spring semester, Anderson’s not here, Grandy’s hurt, hudson’s out. There was never going to be much of a difference between last year’s O and this Spring. Didn’t really make watching our shitty OL any better, but still.

It’s the damn spring game and with a shitty system of “picking teams” instead of playing all the ones together. I thought it would be tough to watch/evaluate and it was. That being said, I like what I saw of Ehlinger as a whole. His passing to LJH and Duvernay showed some good improvement. LJH is gonna beast. Can’t wait to see him and CJ play together against opponents that don’t go against them everyday. Duvernay’s catch over the deep middle while getting hammered by 15 was surprising as well. Good stuff from somebody that is just supposed to run go routes.

Looking back on that highlight film, Sam made some good throws that he would have missed last year. Hopefully he improves on his consistency too by August when the defense doesn’t know every play. I see improvement. I like seeing him run out of bounds too. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

We completed passes to tight ends! That is a good start. Hopefully those guys can get some more yardage against a groups of DBs and LBs that haven’t seen the same plays over and over for 15 practices.

I’m gonna reserve judgement on the oline until Maryland instead of raining doom and gloom. Injuries, the playing every down of the game and the mixing and matching all game just does not lend itself to consistency or cohesion. Hopefully by the end of August, with the new additions, injuries healed, more time under Hand, and getting to rest when we’re on defense, they’ll get it together. With that, the RBs, should come around as well.

Defense is gonna hurt folks. Hager and Charles are going to wreck some QB’s lives. Can’t wait to see the true #1 defense with Gary Johnson ... They are going to be fun to watch bringing the pain.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Machinator said:

I agree with you generally, and I'm sure we'll be bitching about it in the fall, but Herman's schemes (and really any scheme) requires an OL with some level of cohesion, not a mish-mash of players out of position (e.g., Okafor at guard). There was just no way we were going to move the ball with the run game today, and we really needed the offense to have some sustained reps, which meant relying on the short passing game. Hell, it was pulling teeth just to punch it in from the goal line (on the bright side, I don't recall running QB power once in those situations).

What’s the point of running QB power when the QB is in non contact jersey?

Even though this isn’t exactly new information, it’s worth pointing out how incredible the defense was in open field tackling. It wasn’t long ago that we were practicing gator rolls and giving up 300+ yards rushing as we dived at peoples ankles in the open field. Orlando and the position coaches have done an excellent job coaching proper technique.

The game format naturally favored the defense and the results showed that. There were some bright spots on the offensive side of the ball though. The receiver group looks to be much improved and overall Sam showed a little more pocket presence and better decision making. The OL gets an incomplete for the reasons already discussed. I was glad to see the TE involved in the passing game and once Brewer returns we might have a deep enough group to actually use them as a real weapon. I can’t believe that could actually be true.

Defense is going to wreck shop this year. Besides the usual suspects, I was really impressed with BJ Foster and Kris Boyd. I think the secondary might actually get better this year despite the loss of Elliott and Hill, mostly due to more experience in the system. Athletically we will be able to match up with anyone. Roach as a LB / stand-up rusher is going to be fun to watch. Malik did a great job blitzing last year (especially when you look at how much he improved from his Soph year) but a 270 lb Roach coming through the B-gap is going to be nearly impossible to stop. I’m excited to see what else Orlando figures out with our personnel groupings.

I’m still sticking with a 8-4 regular season prediction. If the light turns on for Sam, we could pull off 9 or 10.

• Like 1