Texas Summer Football Thread

Reese Bennett

Looks like they may have gotten rear ended and then slammed in to the car ahead of them.  That must have sucked real hard.
I had one just like that about 9 years ago. Thankfully an Acura TL can absorb an impact..both front and rear were smashed pretty good but all 4 doors would still open and close. They need to get checked for whiplash though, may not even feel it until day or two later.

I'm expecting a lot out of Cade Brewer. He's  big and can set the edge but also has probably the best hands on the team.
I'd wait until we see Leitao before proclaiming Brewer the best TE, much less best hands on the team.

24 minutes ago, ousux said:
27 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:
I'm expecting a lot out of Cade Brewer. He's  big and can set the edge but also has probably the best hands on the team.

I'd wait until we see Leitao before proclaiming Brewer the best TE, much less best hands on the team.

Did Leitao get that internship with Pfizer or GSK yet?

• Like 1

The Eyes of Texas: Good, bad and ugly based on summer workouts

Welcome to The Eyes of Texas, Horns247’s weekly Texas Longhorns insider notes package. This week, it’s all about what’s happening on the gridiron with 58 days remaining until kickoff. It’s only the summer, but it’s never too early for some good, bad and ugly based on what we’re hearing from summer workouts. Let’s start with the ugly and work our way to the good …For those who saw the tweet from Kris Boyd on Wednesday showing the ugly image of B.J. Foster’s car rear-ended and totaled, answered prayers that Foster and Boyd survived the accident, first and foremost, and also seem to have avoided serious injury.

Had a couple interesting conversations with sources close to the team who basically said there’s good news and bad news coming out of summer workouts. And when the bad news involves any discussion of “inconsistency” at the quarterback position, there’s undoubtedly going to be a doomsday, sky-is-falling kind of overreaction. So hold off on any meltdowns and consider the following information rationally.

Saying Sam Ehlinger is ahead of Shane Buechele and is almost assuredly going to be the starter going into the 2018 season is different from saying Ehlinger has worked through all the growing pains suffered last season. Tom Herman absolutely believes Texas “can win” with either quarterback (and might have rising reason to believe he could win with Cameron Rising soon as well). But going from “can win” to winning a Big 12 championship is a big difference, and Herman wants to win a Big 12 title and says he only recruits players who can help Texas win a national title. So, needless to say, the demands on the quarterbacks have been pointed and purposeful.

One source said the two-hours-a-week coaches get with players during the summer gives coaches just enough time to agonize over anything they see that needs correcting until the next session the following week, especially when it pertains to the quarterback.

Based on the conversations I’ve had, the concerns about Ehlinger are about how much the game is or isn’t slowing down for him, and whether he’s making the right decisions with the ball — every time he drops back. Not most of the time. Every time. The source said the concerns could be an overreaction at this point or merely a relentless emphasis (maybe even over-emphasis) from the coaches for Ehlinger’s play-in, play-out awareness to increase. And, of course, the true measure of that awareness won’t come until Sept. 1, when the Longhorns get a rematch with Maryland at FedEx Field.

If there’s any question about Ehlinger’s awareness in the pocket, there doesn’t seem to be any question about Herman and the coaching staff’s awareness of that Maryland game. They know everyone will be talking about USC and TCU the third and fourth weeks of September. They also know turnovers are usually the way you lose a season opener (especially a road season opener) when you’re the favored team and are supposed to win.

So my impression of the conversations, which both mentioned “concern” about “inconsistency” at the quarterback position is there’s some good, hard coaching going on with exacting standards. And make no mistake, the pecking order is Ehlinger, Buechele and then Rising with Casey Thompson seen as a speedy, wickedly capable, change-of-pace, zone-read quarterback who is growing as a passer. But also make no mistake that Rising is a fast learner who is certainly not thinking or preparing for a redshirt season (neither is Thompson for that matter).

Ehlinger seems to have a bottomless tank of confidence, which has allowed him to shake off outcome-altering turnovers in three of four games Texas led in the fourth quarter before losing those games last season.

And as I’ve reported in the Eyes previously, Ehlinger’s high school coach at Austin Westlake — former Longhorns’ quarterback Todd Dodge — said Ehlinger made big plays but also some boneheaded decisions as a sophomore starter at Westlake before going his entire junior regular season without a single interception. Dodge thinks Ehlinger is capable of making a similar jump from his freshman year at Texas to his sophomore season with the Longhorns. Dodge believes the conversation at the end of the 2018 season will be about Ehlinger as one of the best quarterbacks in college football.

Until Texas gets to fall camp (and probably even once camp begins), it’s probably fair to say nothing will be good enough at the quarterback position, no matter what is said publicly by the coaches.

Herman has said Texas is going to win with great defense as long as he’s head coach. And the Longhorns’ defense should be much-improved on Sept. 1 at Maryland over the group that played tentatively in big moments of a 51-41 loss against the Terrapins in Austin last year. But Herman and his staff obviously want the Texas offense to be markedly better than the group that scored only 20 points in that 51-41 loss to the Terps — with three touchdowns coming via special teams or the defense.

Speaking of the defense, probably the biggest concern right now isn’t the return of linebacker Gary Johnson from a hip (adductor longus) injury or Malcolm Roach’s transition to linebacker. It’s the depth along the defensive line. There’s confidence in the starting three-man front of Breckyn Hager and Charles Omenihu at end, and, as long as he’s healthy (and doesn’t pull a last-second grad transfer), Chris Nelson at the nose.

The concern is about the continued development of guys like Gerald Wilbon, Ta'Quon Graham, Marqez Bimage and D'Andre Christmas. “Keondre Coburn, Joseph Ossai and Moro Ojomo were told in recruiting they’d have an opportunity to play early, and they need to prepare with the urgency of being in the two-deep sooner rather than later,” said one source connected to the team.

Now, for the good … There continues to be praise for graduate transfers — offensive tackle Calvin Anderson and running back Tre Watson. There’s a sense both have a chance to be major contributors to the offense — and not just because of their play on the field. Both guys are helping to motivate guys in their position group, even if that motivation may be coming in different forms. Anderson is trying to tutor other members of his position group, such as Denzel Okafor and Samuel Cosmi because Anderson has 36 starts at the college level.

While Watson is approaching everything with the confidence and mindset of being the starter, which pushes everyone else in the running back room to raise their level of intensity. “Tre Watson is confident. There’s no question about that,” one source connected to the team said. “If it rubs some the wrong way but still motivates those players to pick it up, that’s just fine.” More praise also for redshirt freshman tight end Reese Leitao and true freshman offensive guard Junior Angilau. “If everything continues on the track Reese is on, he’s going to be a significant contributor,” the source said. “And Angilau just has a mature intensity about him.”

In addition to praise about Coburn, Ossai and Ojomo, there seems to be endless excitement about the entire 2018 defensive back class. In particular, there’s a lot of buzz about true freshmen corners Jalen Green and D’shawn Jamison to go along with early enrollee freshman Anthony Cook and early enrollee safeties Caden Sterns and B.J. Foster. “You never want to overhype true freshmen,” one connected source said. “But it’s hard not to be excited about watching the development of these young defensive backs. We’ll leave it at that.”

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, satyanash said:

The Eyes of Texas: Good, bad and ugly based on summer workouts

Hide contents

And as I’ve reported in the Eyes previously, Ehlinger’s high school coach at Austin Westlake — former Longhorns’ quarterback Todd Dodge — said Ehlinger made big plays but also some boneheaded decisions as a sophomore starter at Westlake before going his entire junior regular season without a single interception. Dodge thinks Ehlinger is capable of making a similar jump from his freshman year at Texas to his sophomore season with the Longhorns. Dodge believes the conversation at the end of the 2018 season will be about Ehlinger as one of the best quarterbacks in college football.

I'm expecting Sam to make a big progression. Hook 'em!

What a bunch of useless, made-up drivel that report contains. And of course, Chip continues to spout the Chris Nelson transfer garbage whenever he can to reinforce the Bitchass Bobby/Chip Brown traitorgate from last season.  

Fuck Chip Brown and Bitchass Bobby Burton. They are both beyond worthless. 

Edited by Sejjr
  • Like 4

On 6/29/2018 at 4:42 PM, Lhorn said:

Not sure if sarcastic but it was a big win considering the Clones turned out to be a pretty salty team.  The game I’d like to forget but can’t seem to is the Halloween night game 2 Year’s earlier. I usually remember it at 3 am when I wake up in a cold sweat screaming. 

My favorite part was Iowa states QB melting down. I think he left school the next week. I know he didnt play again 

I look forward to the day when we are not relying on QB's to be the starter their first or even second year in the program.

It would be OK if they emerge as the best choice over experienced alternatives, but not if they are the only choice.

A healthy program would not have started either Ehlinger or Buechele last year.

Edited by BornOrange
  • Like 1

I look forward to the day when we are not relying on QB's to be the starter their first or even second year in the program.
It would be OK if they emerge as the best choice over experienced alternatives, but not if they are the only choice.
A healthy program would not have started either Ehlinger or Buechele last year.
A healthy program might have a freshman QB, but only unhealthy programs start multiple freshmen on the OL every year for several years.
  • Like 1

Team notes from IT:

TEAM

The team has been off this entire week which means things have been uneventful, other than the car accident BJ Foster and Kris Boyd got in. If you missed it, Foster was slammed from behind which pushed him forcefully into the car in front of him. Thankfully, both are fine.

We still reached out to some sources to get caught up on the latest with the team.

The most interesting thing we've heard is Orlando is tinkering with many different variations of his dime and nickel. There are effectively big and small versions of each. The best way to illustrate that is with the Joker position. This position is the one Jason Hall excelled in over the second half of last season. It has been repped by both Gary Johnson, a linebacker, and Josh Thompson, a nickel.

The linebackers and defensive backs have been cross-training roles in each package. Some linebackers have repped at all four positions: B-backer, Rover, Mac, and F-backer (nickel). Gary Johnson has repped at B-backer as well, as well as Rover and the aforementioned Joker. Malcolm Roach has repped at B-backer, Mac, a little at Rover, and some at defensive end. Anthony Wheeler appears to be the only linebacker who is set at one position. Of course that's Mac.

When we write how it's tough to know exactly how this defense will shake out you can see where we're coming from. The roster has no shortage of big players who can get after the quarterback and defensive backs who can shut down passing lanes behind them.

There was no 7 on 7 last week but I did catch up with someone who had heard some things:

- Collin Johnson has looked very good, "like an early round draft pick." Of course, his problems were more about using his strength when the pads are on, but he's looking good right now.

- The same goes for LJH and I've talked to a couple people who say fans better enjoy him this year.

- Grad transfer Tre Watson has looked quick on the field and strong in the weight room. Some are surprised that he isn't that big.

- Cam Rising is the most accurate quarterback on the roster, at least lately. He's been characterized as a power pitcher with his size and arm strength.

- In 7 on 7 the coaches make it known what they want to be repped but mainly it's just early install stuff.

- The team is also doing some schematic walk-throughs. This is where they rep the different personnel packages.

I always ask about workouts and heard back, recently the team was lifting heavy (90% of max) and running in more of a conditioning manner. This upcoming week it will lighter weights with more quick twitch work.

We are in July which means the team reports at the end of the month. At this time I'm unsure of the exact date.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Domedriver said:

I say we score a point for every Fuck Chip next season!  So..

Fuck Chip Brown!

Yes, Fuck Chip Brown.

Fuck Chip Brown and Fuck Whit Stillman movies. Except for the Last Days of Disco. 

Edited by TreatyOak
Kate Beckinsale.

14 hours ago, Machinator said:

Grad transfer Tre Watson has looked quick on the field and strong in the weight room. Some are surprised that he isn't that big.

I guess Watson is like Dalton, and they thought he’d be bigger?

On 7/4/2018 at 8:46 PM, cdain3 said:

Chip Brown...I hate to write off a true freashman this early, especially one as talented as BJ Foster, but I'mTold that his poor breaking technique and his unwillingness to use the correct hand positions of 10 and 2 will probably lead to more acidents in the future.  Something to keep an eye on going forward.  

Edited by stork642
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Chip Brown...I hate to write off a true freashman this early, especially one as talented as BJ Foster, but I'mTold that his poor breaking technique and his unwillingness to use the correct hand positions of 10 and 2 will probably lead to more acidents in the future.  Something to keep an eye on going forward.  

"breaking?" C'mon, chip, you aspire to be an ersatz journalist; you can do better. Well, no you can''t.

Almost forgot: fuck chip brown.

4 hours ago, stork642 said:

wow!....no wonder chip was once thought of as a crack journalist!.......ok Chip, you sleuthed out the cause of the accident, but I am still a bit unclear how better braking technique helps avoid being slammed from behind....

oh, and fuck you Chip Brown....

Plenty of young QB make waves in college football.  The idea of recruiting a really talented QB, redshirting him, and sitting him on the bench until he's a junior isn't realistic anymore.
having to start a freshman every year usually means your freshmen aren't getting better as they get older.

If we have to start a true freshman for half the season again, he's other a stud or we're winning 6 games.