COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

4 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Jab 6 this week. First time with Moderna. Wife got hers a few weeks ago and had a pretty severe reaction. Mine has been mild (aches and headache and very mild chills after about 24 hours). 

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

moderna shot has made me sick every time, how have you reacted to it ?

My first 3 were Pfizer and the most recent in November was moderna. Had no reaction whatsoever. With Pfizer usually had a sore arm and some low grade fever.  Figured I was just getting used to the antigen and dealing with it more efficiently. 

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I'm a selfish dick for staying home and avoiding infecting people when I feel sick, without testing for COVID?  How?  Why?  

You're really way out there on this one.  I think COVID melted a lot of people's brains.

Most people do NOT stay home when they feel sick.  That's the point.  NO TESTING!  NO MASKS!  DON'T TOUCH MY FREEDOM!  If you stay home when you feel sick, without testing, good on ya.  Seriously, that's good.  Recognize that there are a shitload of people in the "fuck you I won't ever take any test don't tell me what to do I'll go wherever I want and do whatever I want freedom liberty!" camp.  And they're fucking assholes.

COVID didn't melt my brain.  An unrelenting cascade of assholes just pissed me off and still does.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

31 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  I mean, WTF?  I had a stomach bug earlier this week (thought it was food poisoning, took my temp, had a fever).  So I STAYED THE FUCK HOME FOR TWO DAYS SO I DIDN'T GET OTHER PEOPLE SICK.  Why is it so fucking hard not to be a giant flaming asshole?

This was your first post in this string.  It's smart, it makes sense.  It's not just about COVID, it's about any and every illness.  I 100% agree with you.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Most people do NOT stay home when they feel sick.  That's the point.  NO TESTING!  NO MASKS!  DON'T TOUCH MY FREEDOM!  If you stay home when you feel sick, without testing, good on ya.  Seriously, that's good.  Recognize that there are a shitload of people in the "fuck you I won't ever take any test don't tell me what to do I'll go wherever I want and do whatever I want freedom liberty!" camp.  And they're fucking assholes.

COVID didn't melt my brain.  An unrelenting cascade of assholes just pissed me off and still does.

The highlighted part in red is still relevant.  I agree, lots of people don't stay home when they feel sick.  It's not just about COVID, it's about any and every illness.  If you feel sick, stay home.  Simple and clean message that should be driven home over and over again.  It's completely unnecessary to conflate the "stay home if you're sick" message, with some idea about testing for a specific illness.  The illness is irrelevant, you can harm others by spreading COVID or the flu or RSV.  So if you're feeling symptoms of any of those, stay home.  Simple message of basic health.

The rest of that diatribe is on you.  You're choosing to continue to carry around that cross, beat that horse, tilt at that windmill.  Your aims would be better served by sticking with the simple health message.

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, utee94 said:

This was your first post in this string.  It's smart, it makes sense.  It's not just about COVID, it's about any and every illness.  I 100% agree with you.

The highlighted part in red is still relevant.  I agree, lots of people don't stay home when they feel sick.  It's not just about COVID, it's about any and every illness.  If you feel sick, stay home.  Simple and clean message that should be driven home over and over again.  It's completely unnecessary to conflate the "stay home if you're sick" message, with some idea about testing for a specific illness.  The illness is irrelevant, you can harm others by spreading COVID or the flu or RSV.  So if you're feeling symptoms of any of those, stay home.  Simple message of basic health.

The rest of that diatribe is on you.  You're choosing to continue to carry around that cross, beat that horse, tilt at that windmill.  Your aims would be better served by sticking with the simple health message.

Fair.  These days, I default to assuming everyone is an asshole.

In fairness to myself, it's a pretty good bet.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Fair.  These days, I default to assuming everyone is an asshole.

In fairness to myself, it's a pretty good bet.

Ha!  Well, this is the surl, so it's a pretty safe bet across the board.

Now let's all get back to making fun of the anti-vaxers!

Edited by utee94

It's broader than "just stay home."   My parents wanted to host Christmas this year, and we packed up the kids and went.  My mother failed to tell us she was battling a nasty viral infection because she didn't want to miss out on a family Christmas.  Guess who's been stuck at home battling this virus for the last ten days or so? Everyone in my family.  Her defense?  "I took two Covid tests and they were both negative!"    She's old, and I'm trying not to be angry with her, but I am.   And I'm hearing this "well it's not Covid" crap a lot lately, and I think it's the new version of the old "I'm not testing at all" idiocy.  I'm glad you tested and it's negative, but if you're sick, you're sick.  Stay the fuck away from me and everyone else.

• Hook 'Em 5

And if you know you are or might be sick and must go out to a store or to work, wear a mask and wear it correctly.  

it actually works well to contain/minimize your pathogens, as well as provides a visual clue to others to keep some distance from you if they wish to avoid exposure. 

eta- or say a family Christmas 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

It's broader than "just stay home."   My parents wanted to host Christmas this year, and we packed up the kids and went.  My mother failed to tell us she was battling a nasty viral infection because she didn't want to miss out on a family Christmas.  Guess who's been stuck at home battling this virus for the last ten days or so? Everyone in my family.  Her defense?  "I took two Covid tests and they were both negative!"    She's old, and I'm trying not to be angry with her, but I am.   And I'm hearing this "well it's not Covid" crap a lot lately, and I think it's the new version of the old "I'm not testing at all" idiocy.  I'm glad you tested and it's negative, but if you're sick, you're sick.  Stay the fuck away from me and everyone else.

This. Most people I know with young kids have had problems with Strep, Flu A / Flu B, and RSV the past 4-6 weeks, pretty consistently. My wife is a medical provider and she saw 10 RSV positives just today (so far) last we spoke.

Also just an aside, usually Flu A isn't as bad as Flu B, but this year they both seem to be the same in severity of symptoms. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Samson's Wig said:

Corollary:  My brother and his wife (Fox news junkies), who are in denial about my octogenarian mother's progressing dementia, just flew down with two of their college-age kids to see her.  Mind you, they're staying at her house (small cottage in Coral Gables) despite our strong urging that they get hotel rooms nearby.  Of course they won't test themselves before going to see her, and I heard that the two kids went out last night IN HER CAR, and left vape pens in there.  Leaving aside the completely irresponsible behavior (which I assume included some impaired driving), they likely were out at clubs, potentially bringing back who knows what sort of contagions to her house.

Sorry, this just makes me a bit ragey.

• Rage+1 2

36 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Corollary:  My brother and his wife (Fox news junkies), who are in denial about my octogenarian mother's progressing dementia, just flew down with two of their college-age kids to see her.  Mind you, they're staying at her house (small cottage in Coral Gables) despite our strong urging that they get hotel rooms nearby.  Of course they won't test themselves before going to see her, and I heard that the two kids went out last night IN HER CAR, and left vape pens in there.  Leaving aside the completely irresponsible behavior (which I assume included some impaired driving), they likely were out at clubs, potentially bringing back who knows what sort of contagions to her house.

Sorry, this just makes me a bit ragey.

I hear you.  There are a million different ways to be thoughtless, and we're all guilty of some of them at one point or another.  You would hope the last few years would have at least brought this particular type of thoughtlessness to the attention of everyone, but it instead caused some folks to double down.  I'll never understand it.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  I mean, WTF?  I had a stomach bug earlier this week (thought it was food poisoning, took my temp, had a fever).  So I STAYED THE FUCK HOME FOR TWO DAYS SO I DIDN'T GET OTHER PEOPLE SICK.  Why is it so fucking hard not to be a giant flaming asshole?

They're saving their sick days for when they're not sick. That way they can use them like extra vacation days. 

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

I need to know, what is the surly standard for announcing your respiratory illness and staying home at all costs?

You click your heels 3 times and say "muledick."

• Haha 2

I’m lucky that I already work from home the majority of days but I’ll not going back into the office until I can go a day with medicine and I’m not coughing. Nothing pisses me off like a coworker who sounds like death in their nearby office. I’m not going to be that person.

My team at work had a big "if you're sick or even just feeling poorly, WORK FROM HOME" meeting last week. Of course a few weeks prior we had our team Christmas/holiday get together, and more than half the team was sick through the holiday. Including me! 

My wife's office manager keeps coming in despite being actively ill and won't go home unless a senior partner tells her to. No idea why the OM feels that is appropriate

On 1/7/2024 at 5:13 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’m lucky that I already work from home the majority of days but I’ll not going back into the office until I can go a day with medicine and I’m not coughing. Nothing pisses me off like a coworker who sounds like death in their nearby office. I’m not going to be that person.

Nor am I, hopefully.  Most cases are easy--when you really are sick (uncontrollable cough, fever, sneezing, nasal congestion, etc.) then stay at home.  But, at least with me, I'm a life long allergy sufferer.  I often get a sore throat, sneeze and cough, and nasal congestion is not unusual.  I take Flonase every day, but still have days that I would appear to be sick to many people.  The only time I got Covid that I know of (June 2022), it started with a sore throat (again, not unusual for me), but by the second day I had a slight fever and I knew something was up so, of course, I stayed home for the recommended time.  But if I stayed home every time I had a sniffle or I coughed, I'd never leave my house.

And what about the people that can't afford to miss work--they don't get sick days.  Unless they are really sick, they need the money and they'll go to work.  

And then sometimes, you can't just stay home, though some-especially here, will disagree.  I got a stomach bug last Friday night after the rehearsal dinner for my daughter's wedding.  I felt like shit the entire day and night of my daughter's wedding.  I did my best to stay somewhat clear of people--but I was the father of the bride and there's only so much you can do at a large wedding reception.  I was not going to miss my daughter's wedding and celebration unless I was damn near death.  If that makes me a bad guy, then so be it.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

plus all the science says you are contagious(often most contagious) BEFORE symptoms appear with all of these respiratory diseases.  Not sure how to crack that fucking code.

Exactly, you can't.  If you or your kids have a fever or otherwise feel like shit, then stay home.  But with a preschooler and first grader, if we kept someone home and/or "tested" every time someone had a cough or the sniffles, it would be a damn near daily occurrence November-February.

• Hook 'Em 1

Effectively you're most contagious when you're coughing and sneezing spreading the virus everywhere. When that happens, you stay home. Are there situations where you can't stay home? Sure, but even then you should do anything possible to avoid people. And any inconvenience should be placed on the sick person even potentially losing out on income.

I had a bad cold recently and found myself without much food at home. Not that I felt like cooking. I door dashed more than a few meals to my front door. I'm not a fan of paying the overpriced costs with door dash but that's on me since I'm the sick one.

What pisses me off is the implication from many who use the "you're most contagious before you're symptomatic" mantra that there's no point in staying home at all even if you're symptomatic.

If you have a fever or are coughing and feel like shit, STAY HOME.  Even if you might have been contagious two days earlier, you're still contagious.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

What pisses me off is the implication from many who use the "you're most contagious before you're symptomatic" mantra that there's no point in staying home at all even if you're symptomatic.

If you have a fever or are coughing and feel like shit, STAY HOME.  Even if you might have been contagious two days earlier, you're still contagious.

This.  Yes, damage has been done (maybe infecting other people).  But why wouldn't you avoid doing MORE damage (infecting even MORE people)? 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  Yes, damage has been done (maybe infecting other people).  But why wouldn't you avoid doing MORE damage (infecting even MORE people)? 

Because you want to win some sort of dumb internet argument instead of just being a decent human being.

• Rage+1 1

Exactly NO ONE has said don't stay home if you are symptomatic.

Some have said some people can't stay home due to fiscal or family reasons.  Also, inconveniently for many who suffer from allergies the symptoms mirror respiratory illness and unfortunately mistakes can be made.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/11/2024 at 12:39 PM, Incredulity said:

plus all the science says you are contagious(often most contagious) BEFORE symptoms appear with all of these respiratory diseases.  Not sure how to crack that fucking code.

On 1/12/2024 at 10:33 AM, Incredulity said:

Exactly NO ONE has said don't stay home if you are symptomatic.

Some have said some people can't stay home due to fiscal or family reasons.  Also, inconveniently for many who suffer from allergies the symptoms mirror respiratory illness and unfortunately mistakes can be made.

14 hours ago, Incredulity said:

No one is implying, suggesting, promoting, promulgating, hinting or even insinuating that symptomatic people shouldn’t stay home.

Or we could just look at your first post above, which you posted in support of someone who was offering excuses why some might not stay home when they're sick.  What possibly could be the inference drawn ?  Oh, maybe that because you're more contagious before you are symptomatic it's okay if you don't stay home when you are?  I dunno.  Just spitballing.

I got the first dose of the shingles vaccine yesterday.  Holy shit.  COVID vaccines got nothing on that sumbitch.  Headache, chills, fever, fever dreams.  It was not pleasant.  Then again, it’s not as bad as some of the horror stories I’ve read/heard about.

I got my fifth COVID vaccine shot a few months ago, and I’ve never had any side effects from those.  But Shingrix is on a whole other level.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/12/2024 at 10:09 AM, Incredulity said:
On 1/12/2024 at 10:00 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Effectively you're most contagious when you're coughing and sneezing spreading the virus everywhere.

Why do you hate science?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7386904/

I see that a large number of transmissions occur before being symptomatic, but does the article say when people are most contagious?

That is also from summer 2020 when things were new and much was still unknown.   Not that it changes the biology necessarily, but one wonders how accurate the data is during such a time. (I’ll point out here that I only read the abstract so maybe that is covered in the body of the publication)

but if anything, it points to a masking policy if we really want to slow the transmission as much as possible.  Which now we do not, as it’s has settled into and endemic flu or cold like infection, with viable prophylaxis and treatment options for those that develop severe symptoms. (And it’s not ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine, shockingly)

16 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I see that a large number of transmissions occur before being symptomatic, but does the article say when people are most contagious?

There is significant amounts of data out there, some scientific literature, that asserts people with respiratory infections are contagious prior to symptoms.  There is some data of the same ilk that some respiratory illnesses you are most contagious prior to symptoms.  It’s all easily googled and reviewed at your leisure.

Once again, stay home if you are symptomatic.  

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

There is significant amounts of data out there, some scientific literature, that asserts people with respiratory infections are contagious prior to symptoms.  There is some data of the same ilk that some respiratory illnesses you are most contagious prior to symptoms.  It’s all easily googled and reviewed at your leisure.

If you want to counter that people are most contagious before symptoms, please provide the article. Don't make people read a 25 page scientific paper that doesn't say what you say it is saying. It wastes people's time.

State of New Mexico was first thing that Google served up.  It would appear the "stay at home" crowd is working from a better base.

How long are people contagious? Acute viral URI last on average 7 to 11 days but symptoms may linger up to 21 days. However, the most contagious period is during the first 2 or 3 days that a person has symptoms, and rarely after 1 week. 

From NBC:

How contagious you are is connected to how much of the virus, known as the viral load, is in your body. Your viral load will likely peak soon after the start of symptoms, according to Dr. Chanu Rhee, an infectious disease physician and associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School. This means you are likely most contagious a day or so before symptoms appear and during at least the first two or three days after. 

Edited by slorch

Good lord gals, nobody is saying anybody is advocating for Covid+ people to get out into public.  This thread about vaccinations.  and I'm still wondering if I should do my booster this Winter since I have a new condition (~6 months ago) that make me even more compromised than I was before from a respiratory standpoint).  But it is still amazing to me that grown, capable adults who knew to stay home from work and not touch shit in public with a bad cold or the flu did choose something much more lethal to prove themselves but insisting they get out into public and spit when they talk.  That was the real head-scratcher for me.  Friends and family who would gladly call in sick for a 4-day weekend with a temp or 99.8* years ago were suddenly run over by Covid and like, "Fuck this shit, we're going to Cici's Pizza and touching all the desserts!"  

Edited by YGIFS

2 hours ago, Incredulity said:

This is all so dumb. I would say if you feel better but still have a residual cough for days to weeks then you're symptomatic. That describes my kids over the course of the last month. But of course no one keeps their kids home that long. 

Btw just a heads up the worst people at staying home when sick are doctors. 

5 hours ago, slorch said:

State of New Mexico was first thing that Google served up.  It would appear the "stay at home" crowd is working from a better base.

How long are people contagious? Acute viral URI last on average 7 to 11 days but symptoms may linger up to 21 days. However, the most contagious period is during the first 2 or 3 days that a person has symptoms, and rarely after 1 week. 

From NBC:

How contagious you are is connected to how much of the virus, known as the viral load, is in your body. Your viral load will likely peak soon after the start of symptoms, according to Dr. Chanu Rhee, an infectious disease physician and associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School. This means you are likely most contagious a day or so before symptoms appear and during at least the first two or three days after.

If your viral load peaks soon after the start of symptoms then most likely a day or so before symptoms and a day or so after symptoms will be the closest to the peak. However, viral load is only part of the story. People get around a lot more and are more careless before the start of symptoms so they will spread it to a lot more people. However, after the start of symptoms, people cough, sneeze, touch their nose and mouth and thus spread the virus more easily.

I got the Pfizer booster at the beginning of December in anticipation of holiday gatherings.

I didn’t have any side effects, and I’ve had them from every previous vaccination. So that was nice.

There are so many great people out there. There are some shitheads too. There is a lot of overlap in that Venn diagram when it comes to sickness/vaccination behavior. The only part that bothers me is that so many peoples’ default is not “This might help, and it’s not a huge burden, so I’m gonna do it.”

On 1/14/2024 at 10:42 AM, Jive Turkey said:

I got the first dose of the shingles vaccine yesterday.  Holy shit.  COVID vaccines got nothing on that sumbitch.  Headache, chills, fever, fever dreams.  It was not pleasant.  Then again, it’s not as bad as some of the horror stories I’ve read/heard about.

I got my fifth COVID vaccine shot a few months ago, and I’ve never had any side effects from those.  But Shingrix is on a whole other level.

It’s definitely worse than the c19 but it is 1000% better than getting shingles

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/14/2024 at 11:42 AM, Jive Turkey said:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that shecond shingles shot is shittiest.