COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

At this point why do that? 

Apparently there is a very nasty strain of  parainfluenza going around right now. My youngest daughter got sick last week and covid test was negative. She was still sick as shit and would have spread it all over had she gone to school w it. She gave it to my wife and now I’ve got it. Feel like I’ve been beaten w a baseball bat. Covid 19 is now endemic. If you’re sick stay home or mask up regardless of what bug it may be 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

At this point why do that? 

Apparently there is a very nasty strain of  parainfluenza going around right now. My youngest daughter got sick last week and covid test was negative. She was still sick as shit and would have spread it all over had she gone to school w it. She gave it to my wife and now I’ve got it. Feel like I’ve been beaten w a baseball bat. Covid 19 is now endemic. If you’re sick stay home or mask up regardless of what bug it may be 

How many boosters you got so far doc?  I am done at this point with primary series plus one booster, myself.

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

There is not one sane person making decisions about this on either side. One side doubling down on keeping people mortified and the other acting like it never happened. The rest of us are ready for some common sense. We could, like a lot of the rest of medicine, do some risk stratification strategies with actual data we have after 3+ years of this shitfest.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Not that I don't love some enlightened both-sides-ism, but making sure there's plenty of tests available this fall and winter is a reasonable strategy to try to keep COVID from spreading like wildfire. It IS endemic at this point, which everyone understands, but also makes people flippant. "Fuck it, it's just a allergies/a cold, I'm still fine to go to work/school".

Our culture of going to work when you're sick is kind of fucked up anyway, and we don't have the mask-wearing culture of Asian countries. If people have a couple tests laying around their house, MAYBE they'll think twice. Or maybe I'm just mortified.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Not that I don't love some enlightened both-sides-ism, but making sure there's plenty of tests available this fall and winter is a reasonable strategy to try to keep COVID from spreading like wildfire. It IS endemic at this point, which everyone understands, but also makes people flippant. "Fuck it, it's just a allergies/a cold, I'm still fine to go to work/school".

Our culture of going to work when you're sick is kind of fucked up anyway, and we don't have the mask-wearing culture of Asian countries. If people have a couple tests laying around their house, MAYBE they'll think twice. Or maybe I'm just mortified.

95% of the people that are going to take the time to go on this website and order tests are the type of people that would test anyways anytime they feel off or otherwise stay home if at all under the weather.    Probably >60% of the country will never take a Covid test again no matter the circumstances.   Don't think this initiative moves the needle. 

The reality is for pretty much everyone the flu is a bigger threat than Covid in 2023. Got my flu shot yesterday.  But have heard zero govt initiative in that regard.  Hell, why don't they make rapid flu tests available?  Weird that Covid still gets this special status at this point.

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Skipper said:

95% of the people that are going to take the time to go on this website and order tests are the type of people that would test anyways anytime they feel off or otherwise stay home if at all under the weather.    Probably >60% of the country will never take a Covid test again no matter the circumstances.   Don't think this initiative moves the needle. 

The reality is for pretty much everyone the flu is a bigger threat than Covid in 2023. Got my flu shot yesterday.  But have heard zero govt initiative in that regard.  Hell, why don't they make rapid flu tests available?  Weird that Covid still gets this special status at this point.

Agree with most of your post, but the bolded part is misguided conjecture.  Covid is still deadlier than the flu and hence gets special status.  Some of the actions taken by the government are no doubt based on recency bias, but Covid-19 nonetheless remains the largest threat of death among common airborne pathogens.  Being flippant about it is why assholes are already as casual about it as they are with the flu and other colds, which is why so many get so fucking sick every year.   If pieces of shit would just stay home when sick (regardless of the cause) and piece of shit employers would make this more possible for most, these things would truly become a rare nuisance.   

Finding relief or even joy from the fact that Covid is now being thought of as insignificantly as the flu or other colds is a strange take that we see too often.  If everyone treated all of these diseases with proper respect, along with respecting their coworkers, classmates, family members, etc. they would be much less of an issue every year.  But mouth breathers gonna mouth breathe, even when they're pathogen-free.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I just had it and this is day six post first symptom. This was the hardest one for me so far. it kicked my ass big-time and I’ve been jabbed three previous times.   I have spent 50 bucks buying tests. 50 bucks is not a thing for me, but it is for a lot of people .  I would prefer people who cannot afford a test be provided a test -  so they don’t guess that they have a cold and go infect Everybody at work with the latest Covid strain. What is so difficult about this people?

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Samson's Wig said:

Agree with most of your post, but the bolded part is misguided conjecture.  Covid is still deadlier than the flu and hence gets special status.  Some of the actions taken by the government are no doubt based on recency bias, but Covid-19 nonetheless remains the largest threat of death among common airborne pathogens.  Being flippant about it is why assholes are already as casual about it as they are with the flu and other colds, which is why so many get so fucking sick every year.  

Do you have current stats on that?   Because without question the flu is a bigger issue in pediatric population. It's not close.  RSV a bigger issue as well which is what had all the pediatric hospitals severely overcrowded last year (we have first hand account of that from doctors and nurses as son had to be hospitalized/surgery and the ER was a nightmare and took forever to get an available bed).  I think people forget how big of an issue a bad flu year is (hospitals overcrowding, etc.). I would also wager your average 18-50 year old will have a much tougher time with the flu than Covid.  And the flu kills plenty of elderly as well. 

To your point, Covid probably still is more deadly in the elderly population.  Covid also more contagious clearly.   But for most of us, if you actually get the flu in 2023, it's probably going to suck more than if you get Covid.   Obviously the main reason why is virtually 100% of the population has some form of covid antibodies at this point.

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, dcbc said:

As of May 2023, COVID-19 fell to the #4 spot.  Flu wasn't mentioned in the article.  I haven't seen anything more recent.

https://www.axios.com/2023/05/05/us-death-rates-fall-cdc

Looks like that is based on 2022 and based on quick search didn't see anything more recent either.  Vast majority of those were in the 1st half of '22 which was the last big Omicron spike that effectively immunized anyone left.  I would expect data for 2023 to show a further significant reduction unless something changes last quarter.  And I wouldn't expect to see flu as we haven't had a bad flu season in years. Hopefully we won't this season either.  

So we went and got the flu shot and latest Covid booster today at CVS (It had been about a year and a half since our latest, and not having the flu is nice).  Short an easy on that front.  I don't often go to a pharmacy, I'm fortunate and generally pretty healthy, as is my wife.  However, while we were there we witnessed 2 different people arguing over "lost" prescriptions and getting real ugly with staff.  It was clearly drug seeking behavior, because each time they were asked to provide contact info for their doctors they went immediately in a different direction.  The one guy even started begging instead for just a 5 or 7 day refill.  First, I felt bad for the people working in the pharmacy; to myself wondering if this is ordinary shit they see.  As I said, I rarely am at a pharmacy, is this normal?  

2 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

So we went and got the flu shot and latest Covid booster today at CVS (It had been about a year and a half since our latest, and not having the flu is nice).  Short an easy on that front.  I don't often go to a pharmacy, I'm fortunate and generally pretty healthy, as is my wife.  However, while we were there we witnessed 2 different people arguing over "lost" prescriptions and getting real ugly with staff.  It was clearly drug seeking behavior, because each time they were asked to provide contact info for their doctors they went immediately in a different direction.  The one guy even started begging instead for just a 5 or 7 day refill.  First, I felt bad for the people working in the pharmacy; to myself wondering if this is ordinary shit they see.  As I said, I rarely am at a pharmacy, is this normal?  

We have at least one Pharmacist on the board, but his screename is escaping me at the moment, or I'd tag him.

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Looks like that is based on 2022 and based on quick search didn't see anything more recent either.  Vast majority of those were in the 1st half of '22 which was the last big Omicron spike that effectively immunized anyone left.  I would expect data for 2023 to show a further significant reduction unless something changes last quarter.  And I wouldn't expect to see flu as we haven't had a bad flu season in years. Hopefully we won't this season either.  

I believe many state and local governments have stopped tracking COVID deaths.

So the "most deadly" assertion doesn't seem knowable.

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

Do you have current stats on that?   Because without question the flu is a bigger issue in pediatric population. It's not close.  RSV a bigger issue as well which is what had all the pediatric hospitals severely overcrowded last year (we have first hand account of that from doctors and nurses as son had to be hospitalized/surgery and the ER was a nightmare and took forever to get an available bed).  I think people forget how big of an issue a bad flu year is (hospitals overcrowding, etc.). I would also wager your average 18-50 year old will have a much tougher time with the flu than Covid.  And the flu kills plenty of elderly as well. 

To your point, Covid probably still is more deadly in the elderly population.  Covid also more contagious clearly.   But for most of us, if you actually get the flu in 2023, it's probably going to suck more than if you get Covid.   Obviously the main reason why is virtually 100% of the population has some form of covid antibodies at this point.

I wasn't directing my comments at you personally, I hope that came across.   dcbc beat me to it providing the data.  Covid is still (by far) the deadliest airborne pathogen.  Whether flu or RSV "sucks" more than Covid is entirely a case-by-case basis. With any of them, you might have an easy go or a miserable one.  As far as pediatrics, and entirely anecdotally, both of my kids have had Covid recently.  One breezed through it like it was nothing and the other was knocked flat on his back for over a week, and came close to being hospitalized with a secondary infection.  It's not something to take lightly, just as the flu and RSV shouldn't be taken lightly.  I definitely don't think we need to be overwrought with concern, but taking these pathogens seriously is important. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

Based on my reading, it was the number 3 cause of death in 2022 and dropped to 4 in 2023.  But if that drop is based on 2022 data, so be it.  I didn't see that part.  I'm not really trying to make a point, but I figured I had a minute and googled it. 

Like last year, I'm going to get the updated COVID shot and my flu shot as a simple matter of course.  I'll probably do it next week.  It's free and doesn't take much of my time.  I'm not worried about getting COVID again or dying from it anymore than I am the flu.  My bout with it last year didn't amount to much (and I may have had it a couple of weeks ago, even though I tested negative twice).  But getting COVID and/or the flu is a pain in the ass.  So I'll take simple steps like getting the shot if that means I can avoid getting it over the next year or, if I do get it, that it runs its course in relatively short order.

YMMV    

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

Well shit, youngest has it, which means the rest of us will come down with it, as we didn’t realize it until last night.  We thought she had a cold, and she was wearing a mask around us, but I was not the most adamant about it.   I forgot how rough the cough is, that’s what tipped us off.  My mom also has it, but different city.  Couple of neighbors have it, oldest kid has two classmates with it.  I know it’s recency bias but fuck if it doesn’t seem to be ramping up fast.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Economist estimates 29 million people worldwide died from covid, and that 1.3 to 1.4 million of those were in the US. Then there's Long Covid that's a concern, too. But somehow the government assisting people in taking precautions to avoid spreading it around is offensive to some assholes.

Four weeks ago the ICU of one of my small city's local hospitals had 6 current patients due to covid.

Also https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/education/article/houston-colleges-covid-case-surge-18366446.php

image.png.83cc4b6c64755ded2b1049880214abe9.png

Houston’s college campuses are once again dealing with a resurgence of the virus — though on a less formal and less urgent basis than they did the first few years of the pandemic. Most universities have long been rid of their strictest testing and reporting requirements, leaving base guidelines that urge students and professors to make responsible decisions about their personal safety and presence in classes. The spike in cases has been noticeable at Rice and the University of Houston this semester despite a lack of formal reporting mechanisms at the universities, several students said...

Wastewater data and hospitalization records indicated rising numbers of infections in Texas and Houston this summer, with a slew of variants driving the increase. Hospitalizations and deaths also continue to rise nationwide, and the Food and Drug Administration approved a new booster on Monday recommended for most people 6 months and older.  Approaches on Houston’s campuses are varied but largely put the onus on students and professors to adhere to accepted health standards.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1

It happens ALL THE TIME.

It’s amazing thy somehow, my wife can accurately count blood pressure meds and statins but somehow benzos and opioids trigger some inability to perform that function, because somehow, no one ever claims a miscounted bottle of run of the mill meds. It’s only the ones that get people high: weird coincidence.
  • Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, scottsins said:

It happens ALL THE TIME.

It’s amazing thy somehow, my wife can accurately count blood pressure meds and statins but somehow benzos and opioids trigger some inability to perform that function, because somehow, no one ever claims a miscounted bottle of run of the mill meds. It’s only the ones that get people high: weird coincidence.

While I'm sure the people in Bama's story were likely the standard issue pill heads trying to score, there is also a shortage of many medications right now which also leads to some heated discussions at the pharmacy.  As a nation, we're running short of everything from chemo drugs, antibiotics, ADHD meds, testosterone (tin foil hat tells me this one may be regional in red states - for reasons), and even fucking lidocaine. I feel bad for the pharmacists being on the front line having to explain to sick people that they can't have their medicine because  . . . .  Blaming supply chain issues at this stage of the game seems like a copout, although I'm sure there's some reality to it.  People are dying or living miserably not getting their meds.  I've driven over 300 miles to pick up medicine for my son I couldn't get anywhere in Austin.  We've got compounding pharmacies on speed dial.  The whole thing just sucks, and I'm not sure what needs to be done to fix it. I do know that the pharmaceutical industry does not deserve as much rope as others, however.  They're still drowning in money.

https://www.ashp.org/drug-shortages/current-shortages/drug-shortages-list?page=CurrentShortages&loginreturnUrl=SSOCheckOnly

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Samson's Wig said:

Blaming supply chain issues at this stage of the game seems like a copout, although I'm sure there's some reality to it.  People are dying or living miserably not getting their meds.  I've driven over 300 miles to pick up medicine for my son I couldn't get anywhere in Austin.  We've got compounding pharmacies on speed dial.  The whole thing just sucks, and I'm not sure what needs to be done to fix it. I do know that the pharmaceutical industry does not deserve as much rope as others, however.  They're still drowning in money.

It's supply chain but on a longer timescale - it was profitable to gut strong and resilient supply chains in favor of just in time processes and outsourcing overseas. And plus if there was too much supply, it would necessarily harm their profitability, so there's not that much market incentive to fix it. 

And unfortunately we the people who live in the for profit medical market have no mechanism to make these private but critical entities change their exploitative behavior and shortsighted decision making. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm getting my shot tomorrow, meanwhile was at dinner with a group on Saturday and just got word that one had covid. I still have tests from the last round that I'll use to be sure. And LOL at the idea that providing tests is creating "mortification" and the equivalent of the other side saying the shot is the cause of every sports injury and gives people autism. Also, I don't think they are called boosters anymore because they aren't adding to the original doses, they are the same as annual flu shots and will become a regular thing, for sane people at least. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just got my seasonal flu shot.  Been doing it for about 20 years or so.  Unless the severity of Covid drastically changes, I’ll pass on more boosters.   I got the two Pfizer shots and a Moderna booster in November 2021.   
Looking at the Setrac.org reporting for the 9.5 million SE Texas region of 27 counties, there are only 55 people in ICU with confirmed COVID and Covid patients comprise 1.36 percent of inpatient hospital beds.  I got Covid in June 2022, after the shots and the 9/21 booster, and it wasn’t a big deal for me.  And I’ve been exposed this summer numerous times without any issues.  

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

If you're good with an annual flu shot, why wouldn't you get an annual COVID shot?

Not being snarky, just wondering why. Particularly if you think your previous COVID shots kept you from having a bad case.

I don’t really believe the two Pfizer shots in early 2021 and the November 2021 booster really helped much.  I got Covid seven months after the last booster.  And my symptoms were similar to the vast majority of people with Covid—very light. 

6 minutes ago, Deej said:

If you're good with an annual flu shot, why wouldn't you get an annual COVID shot?

Not being snarky, just wondering why. Particularly if you think your previous COVID shots kept you from having a bad case.

Covid shots 2 & 3 were damn near the equivalent of actual COVID, at least for me.  Flu shot have typically been zero side effects except slightly sore arm (which was about 20% of the COVID shot sore arm).  

Edited by Skipper