COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, it seems to be making a comeback of sorts - I now know several people directly who have it (although thankfully not in contact with any of them in the past week or two).

Us too. Being an extreme introvert has its advantages. But kids in school … 

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, it seems to be making a comeback of sorts - I now know several people directly who have it (although thankfully not in contact with any of them in the past week or two).

Yeah I have two kids that have been out and about all summer. They tested positive after having some upper respiratory symptoms. Fortunately their school starts next week so they’ll be in the clear. 

i got covid early in july.  i had to fly for work to new orleans and back and on the outbound, was stuck at the gate for a couple of hours next to someone who sucked.  

when i got back to austin, i felt horrible the next morning for four hours but it just felt like a sinus infection and being pissy from crappy travel circumstances.  took a brief nap, and felt fine by the afternoon.  flew to montana to go to glacier national park the next day.  the next evening, my wife and kids started feeling poor.  i went and got a covid test and it was positive in like three seconds.  fuck.  what was crazy on this one was that i tested negative twice three days later.

anyway, in talking to people that week and the next, there were a lot of people who were like i felt bad for a day or two this week too.  didn't even think to test.  i knew right then that august and september would have a massive, massive outbreak of covid cases and that most people would never realize it.  fucking nailed it.  basically every single living person i know in the last three weeks has had it.

Edited by sidis
  • Like 1

I've seen our government do some fucking stupid shit but this might take the cake.  I don't even know what to say.  What a goddamned waste of money

https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2023/08/22/funding-1-billion-vaccine-clinical-trials-326-million-new-monoclonal-antibody-100-million-explore-novel-vaccine-therapeuti-technologies.html

• Hook 'Em 1

Finally popped positive after three and a half years. I wouldn't have even tested ifnI hadn't been in direct contact with someone who was positive. 

Slightly runny nose, dry cough that popped up for a few minutes two or three times a day., and fatigue. 

I honestly wouldn't have thought it was anything if I hadn't tested. 

Five days later and I tested negative. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My bandmate came down with symptoms on Saturday, after our Friday night rehearsal.  He tested positive on Monday.  I started to feel a little funky on Tuesday but convinced myself it was allergies.  Wednesday was a little worse, this morning wasn't great and then I rapidly started to improve.  Headache, congestion, mild cough, some body aches.

Now my wife is down for the count.  She always gets hit hard by viruses.  I FAFO'ed and probably gave it to her.  This is gonna cost me hundreds of dollars in shoes.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

My bandmate came down with symptoms on Saturday, after our Friday night rehearsal.  He tested positive on Monday.  I started to feel a little funky on Tuesday but convinced myself it was allergies.  Wednesday was a little worse, this morning wasn't great and then I rapidly started to improve.  Headache, congestion, mild cough, some body aches.

Now my wife is down for the count.  She always gets hit hard by viruses.  I FAFO'ed and probably gave it to her.  This is gonna cost me hundreds of dollars in shoes.

Hey man what is the name of your band ?

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

1264769_f8acb.gif

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

3 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Hey man what is the name of your band ?

I dunno, but they're the fucking worst Bananarama tribute band I've ever heard.  I mean, how the hell can you botch "Cruel Summer?"

A nurse that lives in my neighborhood posted on the neighborhood FB page that the Dr office where she works administered 7 covid tests yesterday and all were positive. Definitely on the upswing just in time for Friday night lights and Volleyball season. I just ordered a few boxes of tests from Amazon. 

Just now, Pescado_Rojo said:

A nurse that lives in my neighborhood posted on the neighborhood FB page that the Dr office where she works administered 7 covid tests yesterday and all were positive. Definitely on the upswing just in time for Friday night lights and Volleyball season. I just ordered a few boxes of tests from Amazon. 

The fact that I have to remind you to "post pics of nurse" is one of the most disappointing things to happen to me in weeks.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Why?  COVID is a respiratory illness that causes significant illness and a large number of deaths, with a huge negative economic impact.  And I'm just talking about it functioning as an endemic viral respiratory illness (which is what it is now), like the flu.  Setting aside the serious illnesses and deaths, the est. annual economic impact of the flu is over $90 billion.  And 5 years ago or so (under the previous administration), Congress approved a $1 billion package for developing a universal flu vaccine.  

COVID is similar to the flu now, and will be for the foreseeable future.  That is, in ADDITION to dealing with the flu and its toll, we'll be dealing with the same from COVID.  Not the same as in the peak of the pandemic, but plenty of impact.

Spending public dollars on public health is kinda one of the key functions of a functioning government.  I say that without drilling down on a page-by-page detail of this package.  Maybe there are elements that are arguable one way or the other, but generally speaking, governments spend money on vaccines and treatment options for diseases that have serious impacts on lives and the economy.

Why? We have multiple vaccines and treatments for Covid that are easily modifiable.  And they are vaccines made by egregiously(?) profitable companies. This capital is misallocated.  

• Hook 'Em 1

My wife just tested positive. She was in Sedona over the weekend with friends, texted me on Sunday to say she was feeling a little warm with a cough. She finally took the test after coughing around the kids yesterday.

I have a tickle in my throat, but nothing else.

More and more people around me are getting sick. My coworker's wife a head nurse or something, and she just calls it a mild flu.

When is the next booster coming out?

The current strains seem to be weaker than the original and delta force version. But who knows.

My first and only bout of covid was pretty tame. Cough on a Thursday night, slight fever followed by chills on Friday. Good to go by Friday 3PM. My wife said she feels okay, but is coughing and looks like shit. Hopefully she gets better soon because I need someone to cook dinner.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Wife went to bed at 10 last night (which is EARLY for her) and woke up at 7:30. She has body aches today and still looks like shit warmed over.

Thankfully the kids and I tested negative last night. At least she’s aware she has Covid and not around us more than she needs to. Also good that my couch is comfortable and I can get a good nights sleep without listening to her snore. Who knew a 105 lb woman can be so loud.