COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

8 hours ago, XYZ said:

How do you know that your coworker infected you?

Well given that he went to a no mask 500 person indoor party and got him and his wife sick before me, and would have breathed all over me repeatedly last week in the office, the odds are pretty good. 

And also, you guys totally made out in the break room for like 15 minutes.  Not judging.  

(out of morbid curiosity...what was the occasion for the 500 person indoor party?) 

Edited by Lobo

10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

And also, you guys totally made out in the break room for like 15 minutes.  Not judging.  

(out of morbid curiosity...what was the occasion for the 500 person indoor party?) 

Cattle feeders banquet in the largest cattle feeding county in Nebraska

500 people at a maskless gathering in Nebraska cattle country?   I'm gonna guess the 'banquet' was just awash in pussy.  

Edited by Lobo

10 hours ago, smoky said:

HEB should drop their mask requirement, but then make everyone pass by the pharmacy before shopping and get their shot if not already vaxxed.

They'd get sued claiming this disproportionately affects uneducated white people.

On 3/25/2021 at 11:58 AM, GRHorn said:

One interesting potential side effect I’ve heard about through my wife and her Facebook groups is younger women’s cycles getting jacked up after getting vaccinated. Only anecdotal of course, but she says it’s shared pretty commonly in these groups that things can get out of whack. 

I’m curious if anyone else has heard or seen similar. Particularly people in medical field. 

On 3/25/2021 at 1:20 PM, gmr548 said:

Not caught in trials or in the millions of women of reproductive age already vaccinated, but Facebook is known as a source of reliable, factual information, so there’s that.

I’m not saying it’s consequential, but I like when it turns out know it all’s actually don’t know shit. 

I’m not saying it’s consequential, but I like when it turns out know it all’s actually don’t know shit. 

The pain of being wrong is soothed by the knowledge that this post has lived rent free in your head. Appears I jumped the gun in dismissing though, no doubt.

My wife held a vaccination clinic today at a food pantry in the town we both work in. Out of approximately 125 families, she had 5 people take their first dose of Moderna. Granted some people could be already vaccinated from another source, but the odds are low. She’s beyond frustrated that she’s putting in all this extra work to bring vaccinations to people and she gets 5 folks. She probably has 1600 doses of vaccine in her freezer that she is working her ass off to get rid of. Sadly, she will probably end up transferring a lot of them so they don’t just sit there and expire. She did another covid clinic at an employer in town that has 500 plus employees. She got 40 people to walk 100 yards to get both doses. Progress, but frustrating none the less.

• Like 1

Based on twitter and other media stories it appears that there are available vaccines for anyone who wants one barring some geographical logistic issues.  So now we open up?   No more masks?  Or are we going to doom and gloom and cry on TV about 4th, 5th, 6th, etc waves?   

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 4/18/2021 at 7:09 PM, Texas Jeff said:

Not yet.  By late May, maybe.  Texas is still giving maybe a million first shots per week.  Supply is catching up to demand, but demand is still there.

There is going to be another demand bump when 12-15 year olds are eligible, and another one when elementary kids are eligible, and so on until all ages are covered.

Prepare to be disappointed, especially with younger kids. Those numbers will be low in terms of getting vaccinated IMO.

42 minutes ago, midtown said:

Based on twitter and other media stories it appears that there are available vaccines for anyone who wants one barring some geographical logistic issues.  So now we open up?   No more masks?  Or are we going to doom and gloom and cry on TV about 4th, 5th, 6th, etc waves?   

i am with you.  with great news like this, there is no reason not open up.  That 84m/6k positive test rate is insane in a good way.  I was team 'listen-to-docs/WFH/limited travel/wear masks/SD/no parties', but now it does seem like good news is being slowplayed and the powers that be are reluctant to promote that vaxes will nuke the spread of the virus and will reduce/replace the need for masking and SD.

image.png.1992e5d69ca6202f1181e6da89a815f4.png

• Hook 'Em 2

i am with you.  with great news like this, there is no reason not open up.  That 84m/6k positive test rate is insane in a good way.  I was team 'listen-to-docs/WFH/limited travel/wear masks/SD/no parties', but now it does seem like good news is being slowplayed and the powers that be are reluctant to promote that vaxes will nuke the spread of the virus and will reduce/replace the need for masking and SD.
image.png.1992e5d69ca6202f1181e6da89a815f4.png

In general agreed, but you have to account for the time to takes to A.) Get us from the 50 percent or so we’re at to the two thirds or so that are reasonably likely to get the shot, and B.) Get people to fully vaccinated and let those shots vaccine fully protective.

I have to admit I was wrong. A couple folks like BradinATX, SnakeDiggity, etc. long ago called out Memorial Day as the point at which a significant majority of adults would be fully vaccinated and life would be looking functionally normal. I thought that was a little bullish but it’s looking correct. Things like mask requirements and capacity limits will remain in place in select jurisdictions or from certain companies past that point, but it’s hard to imagine the public not collectively deciding this is over this summer.

Absolutely agreed the media has gone bananas with the negative coverage. I mean it’s one thing to add a healthy dose of “well, XYZ could also happen too, so be aware of that” but some of the reporting surrounding the vaccine has been borderline irresponsible.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Sounds like we are hitting that point.  I expect to hear about a steep drop in first doses over the next few weeks.  Seems like most people that wanted one got one as quickly as they could.   Now we're seeing a few stragglers but demand gonna fall off a cliff.    I personally don't know anyone that planned to get one and hasn't. 

So many selfish fucking idiots in this country.  Beyond infuriating.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sounds like we are hitting that point.  I expect to hear about a steep drop in first doses over the next few weeks.  Seems like most people that wanted one got one as quickly as they could.   Now we're seeing a few stragglers but demand gonna fall off a cliff.    I personally don't know anyone that planned to get one and hasn't. 

There are some younger folks that haven’t been eligible to this point. There are also some out there that are low effort/info but error probably take the vaccine if offered in their doctors, workplace, church, whatever. A more grassroots approach is probably needed from here

21 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

There are some younger folks that haven’t been eligible to this point.

We're never going to get everyone.  At some point the risk of contraction and hospitalization and death will be lower than a ton of activities that people do everyday without thinking if not statistically zero.   These people like anyone afraid to drive or fly or mtn bike should eliminate their odds by taking precautions of their own. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Are white people a protected class?  Are the uneducated?

Yes, white people are a protected class. No, it’s perfectly legal to discriminate against the uneducated. That’s why you’re not compelled to hire Aggies or Sooners.

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

In general agreed, but you have to account for the time to takes to A.) Get us from the 50 percent or so we’re at to the two thirds or so that are reasonably likely to get the shot, and B.) Get people to fully vaccinated and let those shots vaccine fully protective.

I have to admit I was wrong. A couple folks like BradinATX, SnakeDiggity, etc. long ago called out Memorial Day as the point at which a significant majority of adults would be fully vaccinated and life would be looking functionally normal. I thought that was a little bullish but it’s looking correct. Things like mask requirements and capacity limits will remain in place in select jurisdictions or from certain companies past that point, but it’s hard to imagine the public not collectively deciding this is over this summer.

Absolutely agreed the media has gone bananas with the negative coverage. I mean it’s one thing to add a healthy dose of “well, XYZ could also happen too, so be aware of that” but some of the reporting surrounding the vaccine has been borderline irresponsible.

Yeah- Memorial Day was my point at which I thought it was fair to say that everyone that wanted to get it done would have had time to do it, more

or less and be ok on the other side. It’s a 35 day process right? Shot 1, wait 21 days, shot 2, wait 14 days and good to go, right?  

I don’t care if a company wants to

require masks forever- I will vote with my feet. I just don’t want governmental entities to require that to do stuff like fly or the like. Enough. Those with the Vax are immune. Act like it. Those without in almost every case are FAFO candidates. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

My wife is in this category. I suspect a lot of healthy ish people that haven’t been super worried about this qualify. 
also you have people like my brother- his whole family got sick. They got better. No big deal. They should be bullet proof so I don’t know if they will get the shot or not. It’s probably not a priority but when they go to a Walgreens that’s giving them away with no appointments maybe they go. 
but yeah- supply and demand have definitely caught up and the numbers will be very much plateaued. 

7 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah- Memorial Day was my point at which I thought it was fair to say that everyone that wanted to get it done would have had time to do it, more

or less and be ok on the other side. It’s a 35 day process right? Shot 1, wait 21 days, shot 2, wait 14 days and good to go, right?  

28 days

Along with others (who are apparently no longer with us it seems?), I've been looking at Memorial Day as our "get normal" date.  At that point, ENOUGH people that want the shot, will have had a chance to be fully vaccinated.

But you can't assume ALL people that really want it, will be, by then.

Without cheating the system and lying about nonexistent health conditions, I wasn't even eligible to sign up for the shot until 3/29.  It took another week to find a location within 25 miles of me that had it, so I signed up for an appointment a week later.  When I arrived, they told me that a) although they'd told me I was signing up for Moderna, they actually had J&J and b) J&J was put on pause by the CDC, so I'd have to wait another week before they could get me Moderna #1.  That took me right up until two days ago.

So 1st shot on 4/19, 2nd shot on 5/17, wait another two weeks and we're at 5/31. And that's for someone that IMMEDIATALY started attempting to schedule an appointment on 3/29, the first day I was eligible.

Good news is I checked for my brother over the weekend and lots of appointments seem to be open now, far more than 2 weeks ago.

54 minutes ago, utee94 said:

28 days

Along with others (who are apparently no longer with us it seems?), I've been looking at Memorial Day as our "get normal" date.  At that point, ENOUGH people that want the shot, will have had a chance to be fully vaccinated.

But you can't assume ALL people that really want it, will be, by then.

Without cheating the system and lying about nonexistent health conditions, I wasn't even eligible to sign up for the shot until 3/29.  It took another week to find a location within 25 miles of me that had it, so I signed up for an appointment a week later.  When I arrived, they told me that a) although they'd told me I was signing up for Moderna, they actually had J&J and b) J&J was put on pause by the CDC, so I'd have to wait another week before they could get me Moderna #1.  That took me right up until two days ago.

So 1st shot on 4/19, 2nd shot on 5/17, wait another two weeks and we're at 5/31. And that's for someone that IMMEDIATALY started attempting to schedule an appointment on 3/29, the first day I was eligible.

Good news is I checked for my brother over the weekend and lots of appointments seem to be open now, far more than 2 weeks ago.

Yep. I signed up on the second or third day it was open and just got my shot last Thursday. I will make Memorial Day but just barely as well. But, life can go back to normal then and I can choose to join it or sit it out as I wish. We don’t have to get everyone across the finish line who wants to be across the finish line, just most of them, and those who aren’t there yet can wait

a little bit while those who aren’t getting vaccinated can start the process of FAFO in an normal society. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

21 days between for Pfizer, 28 for moderna 

Fair enough, but the point still stands, since Moderna is a large part of the solution.  It's Memorial Day at the VERY earliest for many people that IMMEDIATELY started trying to find the vaccine on 3/29 when they were eligible.  

Edited by utee94

Both Pfizer and Moderna provide significant protection 2 weeks after the first dose. 

https://www.asbmb.org/asbmb-today/science/040421/how-effective-is-the-first-shot-of-the-pfizer-or-m

Pfizer was like 89% efficacy 2 weeks after a single dose, and I believe Moderna has similar numbers. I think using that as the metric for re-opening is prudent even though you need both for full benefit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

Both Pfizer and Moderna provide significant protection 2 weeks after the first dose. 

https://www.asbmb.org/asbmb-today/science/040421/how-effective-is-the-first-shot-of-the-pfizer-or-m

Pfizer was like 89% efficacy 2 weeks after a single dose, and I believe Moderna has similar numbers. I think using that as the metric for re-opening is prudent even though you need both for full benefit. 

This is really huge especially compared to the countries using the Sinovac vax, where it's reported that there is only ~3% efficacy after the 1st dose and then up to the 50-60% after the 2nd.

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

That's awesome. I think it should be legal to punch people in the nuts who talk about "The Evils of Big Pharma".

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, midtown said:

Now we work on getting people who don't want the vaccine signed up.  But yes, I think now you open up as soon as everyone who wants one can get one.

I don’t care if a company wants to
require masks forever- I will vote with my feet. I just don’t want governmental entities to require that to do stuff like fly or the like. Enough. Those with the Vax are immune. Act like it. Those without in almost every case are FAFO candidates. 

Again. Every new infection is a chance for a mutation that the vaccines may not be effective. We're going to have to pay the stragglers and I hope that was secretly included in the latest package.
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

At work yesterday we had throw out 30+ vaccines because not enough arms willing to be pricked.  ☹️

Yeah, I have a neighbor that is an MD up here.  She called us on Sunday afternoon asking if we wanted to get the jab, but we both already had #1 and were doing #2 yesterday.  She couldn't find anyone who wanted it which is bad.

31 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Again. Every new infection is a chance for a mutation that the vaccines may not be effective. We're going to have to pay the stragglers and I hope that was secretly included in the latest package.

Pay them, cajole them, etc.  I think requiring a vaccine to get on a plane would go a long way.  Gotta get rid of the EUA first, though.  Because if there is one thing I've learned in the last year, people who don't think COVID is a big deal love to travel.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Pay them, cajole them, etc.  I think requiring a vaccine to get on a plane would go a long way.  Gotta get rid of the EUA first, though.  Because if there is one thing I've learned in the last year, people who don't think COVID is a big deal love to travel.

I would agree on the plane thing but damn. I'm flying to Ha Noi in Oct (fingers crossed) and a 15 hr flight is a beating period.  Doing it in a mask is going to be awful.   I don't mind 3 hour flights but 15 while I'm vaccinated?  yikes.    The key is to pick a few places where the dumbshits go.  Walmart.  Churches.  Country music shows. Rodeos, live music for the yutes etc.  Require them at key places and rates should sky rocket. 

Edited by midtown

3 minutes ago, midtown said:

I would agree on the plane thing but damn. I'm flying to Ha Noi in Oct (fingers crossed) and a 15 hr flight is a beating period.  Doing it in a mask is going to be awful.   I don't mind 3 hour flights but 15 while I'm vaccinated?  yikes.    The key is to pick a few places where the dumbshits go.  Walmart.  Churches.  Country music shows. Rodeos, live music for the yutes etc.  Require them their and rates should sky rocket. 

If you make vaccines a requirement to fly, you can get rid of the masks on planes.  Agreed on the 15 hours.  Fuck that.

Was having lunch yesterday when a friend messaged that UT health was giving out vaccines to walk ins.  Said it loud enough for our waitress to hear, and she was excited - said she was heading over as soon as her shift ended.

Get the word out, wherever you can, when you know they are available for walk-ins.

• Hook 'Em 4