COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

5 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

You're just asking questions, right, Tucker?

Don’t worry, my opinion won’t affect anything. The only person in my household on whose behalf I make medical decisions (me) is fully vaccinated.

On 5/18/2021 at 10:17 AM, XYZ said:

You are making my point for me. If the vaccine is only marginally better, then what’s the point?

I think of it in the terms of something one of my Drill Instructors, who had done two tours in Vietnam, taught us 40-odd years ago.  He told us that no bullet shot into the brain pan of a dead body is ever wasted.  Some aren't as dead as they seem. 

If one method of protection is good, two are better.

10 hours ago, UTHornFan014 said:

Anyone else had an sort adverse reaction to one of the vaccines?

I ended up in the hospital for a couple days with a mild case of Guillain Barre about a week after getting the 2nd Pfizer dose... which has been less than pleasant. Better than a severe case I suppose.

Sore arm and tired for a day or so.

11 hours ago, UTHornFan014 said:

Anyone else had an sort adverse reaction to one of the vaccines?

I ended up in the hospital for a couple days with a mild case of Guillain Barre about a week after getting the 2nd Pfizer dose... which has been less than pleasant. Better than a severe case I suppose.

My second dose caused record low temperatures, a loss of power statewide, and about 5 days of no water in my area.  So, yeah.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

Solid trends in vax numbers past 2 days with improvements over last week. Healthy proportion of new first doses.

US now at 60.5% of adults with at least one dose. 48.5% of adults fully vaccinated. I think we can definitely get to 70/60 by July 1.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

70% is still the magic number for herd immunity, correct? And we might actually make it?  Didn't think America had it in her.

I'm sure that 70% is not the magic number. The number was based on R0 which is based on a susceptible population (no immunity), environmental conditions, and the behavior of the infected population. It is also an estimate and not an exact number. Anyway, we will see the disease decline and as long as the vaccine works and continues to work against new strains, the disease will die out. Unfortunately, there is a decent probability that the vaccine's effectiveness will decline over time and require a booster or a different vaccine to cover new strains.

23 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Took a trip with a few friends (flight) a couple weeks ago. Only one of us hadn't been vaccinated. He's sick as shit with Covid. SHOCKER!

Do you think it was from the flight? I ask because you specifically mentioned the flight. 

70% is still the magic number for herd immunity, correct? And we might actually make it?  Didn't think America had it in her.

We will see pockets of herd immunity. Urban areas will be fine but rural mouth breather communities will be fucked for the foreseeable future.

7 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Holy outdated, wildly incorrect chart!

Seriously, is that from like 2 weeks into COVID? 

Yeah, I agree.  Bad chart.  Here's a better one:

chart.thumb.png.bde27f247525c63c2ad6a763c2983211.png

Cases did decline after the original outbreak in April, then an uptick in July, then of course the huge one where everyone went back in for the winter and did a lot of Thanksgiving/Christmas gathering.  But the dropoff is pretty quick even before the height of the vaccine distribution to the public (early Feb.).  Of course the vaccine is the primary reason for the decline, but people going outside is another - this is why Michigan and New York were struggling with huge upticks in late Feb. and early march while Texas and Florida (2 big southern states) were declining.

Anyway my original point remains - we'll know in late fall if we've reached herd immunity of any sort, as the virus season ramps back up - it's going into a summer low season right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Spoke with a woman yesterday, a parent at my kids' school, who was proud she just got her first vaccination shot.  My first thought was, "Aren't you a hospice nurse??!‽?"  She is.  She is a hospice nurse.   smdh

well if they're in a hospice it's not like they're leaving on their feet...

1 hour ago, Viper said:

well if they're in a hospice it's not like they're leaving on their feet...

I know.  I didn't want to write that.  But yeah.  It's still bizarre, and wrong.  No need to speed things along with a case of Covid.  (and a small percentage of people do leave hospice on their feet).   She had access to vaccinations before any of the rest of us and chose to go work in a medical facility everyday unvaccinated.  And it clearly wasn't based on some misguided principles, as she has now finally received a shot.  I even understand, sort of, that she was hesitant and wanted to wait and see.  It was how proud she was of being vaccinated this late in the game that was odd.

I'd have been pretty upset if my mother-in-law who died of cancer last year was given Covid in her final days by one of her hospice nurses.  Their job is to make the dying as comfortable as possible (and they are typically saints in my book).  Not to cause them more suffering.

Guest Lobo

Yeah, either stick with your demented principles all the way or get it early on like your colleagues and patients deserve.  A hospice health provider shouldn't be bragging about their first shot near Memorial Day.  That makes zero sense.  

Like Lauren Boebert bragging about getting her GED right before she got sworn into Congress.  Either graduate high school at 17 or 18, or just keep it quiet when you finally get the diploma in your mid 30's.  

The participation trophy climate in this country has taken another evolution.  It's now about seeking validation for an otherwise worthwhile accomplishment (graduation, vaccination, first time on a commercial airplane), but at an incredibly inappropriate time in your life.  A friend with no children was telling me how he once waited on line for hours to get a signed jersey of some Cowboys legend.  I said, "Yeah, I did shit like that growing up to get Cubs players to sign something for me.  As kids the anticipation in line was half the fun."  I thought he was talking about doing this as a kid, apparently it was a few weeks ago.  

Edited by Lobo

So my ex and I are going to battle about the vaccination for my kids.  14 boy and 11 girl.  Both will age up in a few months.    I told her and my son that we'd wait until August to make the decision and she already replied with "I want to wait much longer."   She already threw out long term side affects and mentioned infertility.  She's heavy on FB so I assume she's getting stuff from her fellow church mom weirdos.  Luckily our decree says we can act independently with regards to health.   This should be fun. 

Edited by midtown

9 minutes ago, midtown said:

So my ex and I are going to battle about the vaccination for my kids.  14 boy and 11 girl.  Both will age up in a few months.    I told her and my son that we'd wait until August to make the decision and she already replied with "I want to wait much longer."   She already threw out long term side affects and mentioned infertility.  She's heavy on FB so I assume she's getting stuff from her fellow church mom weirdos.  Luckily our decree says we can act independently with regards to health.   This should be fun. 

What's the risk in waiting?

2 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

What's the risk in waiting?

I imagine he wants to get them vaccinated before going back to school.

12 minutes ago, midtown said:

how could you even know if it causes infertility? no one has had it for more than a 6 months.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Viper said:

how could you even know if it causes infertility? no one has had it for more than a 6 months.

See what I am dealing with?  My 84 year old mom got the jab in December because she lives in a retirement home.  And so far not a single person in that home has gotten pregnant and trust me. I've heard about their happy hours.  Mr. Johnson in 4B is quite the charmer.   Evidence. 

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I've found myself agreeing with economist Emily Oster throughout most of the pandemic when it comes to children and covid.

She interviewed the CEO of Moderna. One sided for sure, but a good read nonetheless regarding children and the vaccine.

https://emilyoster.substack.com/p/interview-with-stephane-bancal-ceo

• Like 1

I'm not dismissing my ex's concerns nor that of any other parent.  I just know her reasoning is largely based on FB moms and not science or any kind of logic.  Her and her fiance are super conservative and might even be some Qnon in there.   Throw in the super religious.  "god will protect us from all evils" and it's hard to take her seriously.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, midtown said:

I'm not dismissing my ex's concerns nor that of any other parent.  I just know her reasoning is largely based on FB moms and not science or any kind of logic.  Her and her fiance are super conservative and might even be some Qnon in there.   Throw in the super religious.  "god will protect us from all evils" and it's hard to take her seriously.

dace13f7-9386-4974-ac5f-422cd95a74e7_scr

"Are you saying Jesus Christ can't hit COVID?"

3 hours ago, midtown said:

See what I am dealing with?  My 84 year old mom got the jab in December because she lives in a retirement home.  And so far not a single person in that home has gotten pregnant and trust me. I've heard about their happy hours.  Mr. Johnson in 4B is quite the charmer.   Evidence. 

image.gif.0afeacee3426c0a0e49b5d6d43c7320c.gif

3 hours ago, smoky said:

I've found myself agreeing with economist Emily Oster throughout most of the pandemic when it comes to children and covid.

She interviewed the CEO of Moderna. One sided for sure, but a good read nonetheless regarding children and the vaccine.

https://emilyoster.substack.com/p/interview-with-stephane-bancal-ceo

Great info in this. Going to paste the answer about the much asked about “long term” affects 

I want to ask a question I get a lot: What if there is some long term bad effect that might happen in 10 years?  What do you say when people ask you this? 

Stephane Bancel  

Proving a negative in science is impossible. But it's highly, highly unlikely is what I believe. And why do I say that? 

First, the mRNA molecule we inject has been proven by outside academic labs to be gone from your body in 48 hours, it's totally cut in pieces. mRNA is letters -- the four letters of life -- and those letters are cut in pieces. It starts at hour six, by 48 hours there is nothing left in your body. This is proven scientifically by outside labs, published, peer reviewed. 

The second piece for safety is that it is proven, again by an outside lab from Georgia Tech, that the mRNA does not go into the nucleus, which is the envelope in the cell protecting your DNA. So the risk of the mRNA from the vaccine getting into your DNA and creating, let’s say, cancer or genetic disease down the road...we believe that risk doesn’t exist, because we have proven the mRNA doesn’t get close to the nucleus.

The third piece is around the lipid.  The lipid is a ball of fat that is put around the mRNA to protect it from your blood until it gets inside your cells. That is a biodegradable piece of fat, and its half life is two hours. So basically it gets into your cell and it falls apart in pieces; by the time you get to five or six hours, it's all gone. 

So is there a theoretical long term safety risk? There's always risk with anything we do. Including, you know, the lipstick you use or a cream you use.  

My kid are teenagers. But if I had young children, I would definitely want them vaccinated. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Parliament said:

I think there's research that indicates we start seeing some benefits of herd immunity as low as 20%. And the benefits just keep increasing as you go higher. I'm not sure there's a magic number. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

My son just turned 12.  I will get him the shot.  Just not in a rush since he had Covid.  (Only reason we knew is because we had him tested while we had it -- he had zero symptoms).  Likely will do a week or so before school starts. My daughter is too young.

You might want to start it 5 weeks before school starts if you want him fully vaxxed by then. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Great info in this. Going to paste the answer about the much asked about “long term” affects 

Very nice, clear explanation.  The mRNA vaccines are beautiful in their simplicity.

This is well outside my area, but my primary concern for any long-term effects would be something related to inducing an unexpected, as-yet unknown autoinflammatory immune response (immune system, you scary).  But having anecdotally seen a few cases of MIS-C, I would much rather take that chance with just the S protein than the entire virus.  So my 16yo is fully vaxxed and my 13yo got his first shot last Monday.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 4:06 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

I fell like a little kid on Christmas morning. I’ve been up for a few hours, unable to sleep. I’m getting my second shot today.

Why?

I’m at a loss as to the emotion/ virtue/ whatever being assigned to a vaccination. Was the reaper on your doorstep or some shit?

Very nice, clear explanation.  The mRNA vaccines are beautiful in their simplicity.

This is well outside my area, but my primary concern for any long-term effects would be something related to inducing an unexpected, as-yet unknown autoinflammatory immune response (immune system, you scary).  But having anecdotally seen a few cases of MIS-C, I would much rather take that chance with just the S protein than the entire virus.  So my 16yo is fully vaxxed and my 13yo got his first shot last Monday.

This. And it’s interesting. My wife works with a physical therapist-massage therapist. Bottom line, he works on her muscular and skeletal structure and alignment to help with headaches.

Anyway, my wife has had some pain radiating from her neck down to her left hand. She went in, and he commented that he was seeing a good bit of that, same location. And all of it in vaccinated people. He said he’s been doing this for 30 years, and he’s seen it before in adults who get any number of vaccinations (think of adult vaccinations before a foreign trip, etc). His hypothesis is that it’s the body working exactly as it’s supposed to: developing an inflammatory response, and because it’s localized and an intense dose, it can linger in some people. The end point is, it has never alarmed him. Rather, it just tells him that your body is doing what it’s supposed to do.

I just thought that it was an interesting hypothesis, and makes some sense. And, while the vector may be novel (mRNA), the body’s response is the same as with any other vaccine/invader.

I have that going on.  My first shot had injection site tenderness for nearly the whole month till second injection. My first was more in the triceps vs shoulder.  Second was right in the middle of shoulder.  Less injection site pain but have had pain all along the the left side of neck to left hand.  Intense episodic pain in my left elbow.

I have that going on.  My first shot had injection site tenderness for nearly the whole month till second injection. My first was more in the triceps vs shoulder.  Second was right in the middle of shoulder.  Less injection site pain but have had pain all along the the left side of neck to left hand.  Intense episodic pain in my left elbow.

My wife got some massage work done that helped a good bit, give that a shot.

The moderna person is exactly correct. Of the entire cocktail, all of the ingredients have a years or decades old health profile and they are proven safe (nothing is 100% safe caveat).  The only novel thing is the mRNA and it behaves like all the other mRNA pieces in our bodies and is made up of the same 4 building blocks that all rna and dna are made of.  Our bodies have DNAases that handle the breakdown of unneeded or unwanted rna pieces. 
I find it unlikely that there would be long term issues from this technology. My 12 year olds were on the schedule as soon as it opened up to them. 

say, how many vaccines in history have resulted in decreased fertility?  this thing has bled from the new world order/deep state population control conspiracy to mainstream people just because there isn’t any long term data yet for obvious reasons.  Though you’d think pregnancy rates would be available now for month over month.  Or will the argument then be that infertility is preferential to young kids or some other thing that can only be proven or disproven by the passage of time?

thisnis not a thalidomide situation. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto