Markets still falling like whoa

17 hours ago, Tailgate said:

56cd6b96f04b01e22ff515debb00f7ee.jpg

To put a less rosy point on it:  in the year following that "average" 23.1% drop in one quarter, the S&P did not quite recover to the level it enjoyed one quarter prior to the drop (i.e., a 25.6% gain after a 23.1% drop leaves the index down 3.4% one year later.)

Another good thought I saw today. This from a guy who used to work for Motley Fool (don’t love their site/pitch but like this quote). As previously noted on this thread, I’m a long-term investor who believes in capturing the S&P with a balanced portfolio depending on your goals.

Most of what matters as a long-term investor is how you behave during the 1% of the time everyone else is losing their cool. Every one of the market's top days took place during periods of Sheer Terror. Of the 20 Best Market Days of all Time, 17 were during the Great Depression, 1 was a few Days After the Crash of 1987, and 2 were during the Depths of the 2008 Financial Crisis. Missing these days Devastated your Long-Term Returns. And most investors who missed them were those who sold out, or stopped buying, after stocks crashed and everyone around them were busy panicking. Those who try to avoid losses consistently end up missing even larger gains. That's why [Boring and] Average all of the time, ends up above average overall. Like a plane pilot, investing is "hours and hours of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror." Your success as an investor will be determined by how you respond to punctuated moments of terror, not the years and years spent on cruise control.

• Like 5

Highly underreported story today.  India will always fuck you over.  AMZN put $5B into this and WMT already blew $17B for Flipkart, which no one thought was a good idea.  This is only the beginning:

NEW DELHI—India is tightening restrictions on foreign e-commerce companies operating in the country, a new challenge to Amazon.com Inc. and Walmart Inc. as they bet billions on the nascent market.

Current rules forbid non-Indian online sellers from holding their own inventory and shipping it out to consumers, as is typically done in other countries. Instead, they have found a work-around by operating as online marketplaces and selling what are effectively their own products held by their affiliated local companies.

They will no longer be allowed to sell such goods, a division of India’s Commerce and Industry Ministry said in a statement Wednesday, an apparent attempt to close that loophole.

The new rules, which take effect Feb. 1, also bar foreign companies from entering into exclusive agreements with sellers. Amazon, for example, has in the past been the exclusive third-party online retailer to sell smartphones from the popular Chinese smartphone brand OnePlus.

Amazon founder Jeff Bezos has pledged $5 billion to expand its India operations, and the Seattle retailer has become a leading online seller in India since its 2013 launch. In May, Walmart bought Flipkart Group, India’s biggest homegrown e-commerce firm, for $16 billion,

https://www.wsj.com/articles/indias-tighter-e-commerce-rules-frustrate-amazon-and-walmart-plans-11545907173?ns=prod/accounts-wsj

17 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Another good thought I saw today. This from a guy who used to work for Motley Fool (don’t love their site/pitch but like this quote). As previously noted on this thread, I’m a long-term investor who believes in capturing the S&P with a balanced portfolio depending on your goals.

Most of what matters as a long-term investor is how you behave during the 1% of the time everyone else is losing their cool. Every one of the market's top days took place during periods of Sheer Terror. Of the 20 Best Market Days of all Time, 17 were during the Great Depression, 1 was a few Days After the Crash of 1987, and 2 were during the Depths of the 2008 Financial Crisis. Missing these days Devastated your Long-Term Returns. And most investors who missed them were those who sold out, or stopped buying, after stocks crashed and everyone around them were busy panicking. Those who try to avoid losses consistently end up missing even larger gains. That's why [Boring and] Average all of the time, ends up above average overall. Like a plane pilot, investing is "hours and hours of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror." Your success as an investor will be determined by how you respond to punctuated moments of terror, not the years and years spent on cruise control.

Extended drops like December and the 1,000 point rally are why I’ll never beat the market. I just buy. I haven’t sold much since 2013. 

• Like 2

Extended drops like December and the 1,000 point rally are why I’ll never beat the market. I just buy. I haven’t sold much since 2013. 

This. I sometimes reallocate among various funds but I've never sold and stayed out of the market for any extended time. Of course, I will finally sell a dog (Dell in the mid 2000's and GE in 2015) but I haven't figured out how to predict the future with any degree of certainty so I won't even try. Buying and holding quality funds has done me very well over the last 22+ years.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, happyfunball said:

WMT acquisition of Flipkart was a great acquisition but India just f them hard. If they hadn't purchased, AMZN would have acquired then WMT would be shut out of another market.

WMT had to effectively exit China ecommerce market and recently exited Brazil completely. Where else were they going to play int'l?

Flipkart doesn't make a profit and WMT doesn't even know when or if it ever will.  They paid $17B for that.  That's billion.  All in a country whose government has a long history of fucking people over.  To make matters worse, one of the upsides to Flipkart was its CEO but they had to get rid of him for sexual harassment reasons.

Buying into a bad situation just to prevent your opponent from buying into that same bad situation is what got the US into Vietnam.  

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Flipkart doesn't make a profit and WMT doesn't even know when or if it ever will.  They paid $17B for that.  That's billion.  All in a country whose government has a long history of fucking people over.  To make matters worse, one of the upsides to Flipkart was its CEO but they had to get rid of him for sexual harassment reasons.

Buying into a bad situation just to prevent your opponent from buying into that same bad situation is what got the US into Vietnam.  

I don’t even know where to start with this so we will just have to disagree.  WMT throws off a shit ton of cash. Cash even in the $Bs doesn’t matter to them. Their crisis is if they exist in 20+ yrs because they didn’t invest into ecommerce. 

13 minutes ago, happyfunball said:

I don’t even know where to start with this so we will just have to disagree.  WMT throws off a shit ton of cash. Cash even in the $Bs doesn’t matter to them. Their crisis is if they exist in 20+ yrs because they didn’t invest into ecommerce. 

E-commerce, yes.  In India?  No.  Infrastructure is total trash, the government is corrupt, and the massive cities don't lend themselves to quick warehouse delivery.  There's also a vast network of very small neighborhood shops already in place.  Multiple ones on every block.  How does a megachain like WMT or AMZN compete with that?  FWIW, Amazon doesn't do that well in their international businesses at this point.

$17B is still $17B.  When they raised their wages, that only cost $1B and their stock went down 10% that day.  

I don't know one single person in the industry who thinks this is a good idea.

Edited by Aqua Buddha

On 12/24/2018 at 12:48 PM, UTGrad98 said:

I remember reading about Jamie dimon saying this next bear will be caused by bond issues. What did he mean by that? We have never had to navigate through QT before . Did we essentially kick the can down the road with 3 rounds of QE that we are just now starting to absorb?

Look here:  https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/5200-fucking-zombies-man/

On 12/27/2018 at 4:20 AM, Tailgate said:

Espousing long term strategy but they're giving example of single-day movements as the upside (in periods of protracted losses!)

And then...assuming these investors are  disciplined (=haven't cashed out)....forget confidence, where are they getting the capital to add positions during these recessions?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Espousing long term strategy but they're giving example of single-day movements as the upside (in periods of protracted losses!)

And then...assuming these investors are  disciplined (=haven't cashed out)....forget confidence, where are they getting the capital to add positions during these recessions?

I get paid a few times a month and dividends get reinvested. 

• Like 1

Call me old fashioned, but I think highly of high yield savings accounts, relative term though high yield may be.

Apple forecasts Q1 revenue at $84 billion, which is a decent miss against consensus forecast of $94 billion and Apple's own estimate of $89-$93 billion. That's a 4.5% decrease from their numbers 12 months ago. Could spook the market a bit tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Apple forecasts Q1 revenue at $84 billion, which is a decent miss against consensus forecast of $94 billion and Apple's own estimate of $89-$93 billion. That's a 4.5% decrease from their numbers 12 months ago. Could spook the market a bit tomorrow.

Down as much as 8% AH on Apple.  

However, market pundits have been begging for this to happen for weeks.  Was watching an interview on Bloomberg the week before Christmas and a trader was saying "I wish Apple would go ahead and pre-guide lower so the market would start to settle down a bit" 

Some of it baked in, but will still sell off tomorrow.  China PMI numbers that came out this morning were pretty much the straw in this one.  Luckily, we kinda have them over a barrel right now vis a vis trade discussions.  Hopefully we can get that wrapped up soon. 

Maybe it's because they're trying to charge $1,000 for a fucking iPhone.  Hell, it doesn't do much different than the 6 I have.  I personally know dozens of people that looked at getting the new phone but couldn't figure out why it was that much better.

This should also be a lesson for tariffs.  There is a very firm ceiling on what people are willing to pay and if you hit that ceiling, sales crash.  

4 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Maybe it's because they're trying to charge $1,000 for a fucking iPhone.  Hell, it doesn't do much different than the 6 I have.  I personally know dozens of people that looked at getting the new phone but couldn't figure out why it was that much better.

This should also be a lesson for tariffs.  There is a very firm ceiling on what people are willing to pay and if you hit that ceiling, sales crash.  

This isn’t really the lesson for tariffs so to speak.  The rip of Apple’s intellectual property in 4 years would be the reason for tariffs.   

17 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

This isn’t really the lesson for tariffs so to speak.  The rip of Apple’s intellectual property in 4 years would be the reason for tariffs.   

If you think the American consumer is going to pay a 10% uncharge on apparel and electronics, you're kidding yourself.

1 hour ago, Tailgate said:

Still long AAPL. As a technology company...it is time for us to see something new...a TV...automous technology...I’m hoping it’s not far off for the next great product.

a Mac screen is gorgeous and i've thought a 55" TV would kickass. Does that exist?

10 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Still long AAPL. As a technology company...it is time for us to see something new...a TV...automous technology...I’m hoping it’s not far off for the next great product.

I went to both Best Buy and Costco the week before Christmas looking to get my wife an Ipad Pro with large memory.  Sold Out, couldn’t say when they might have any at both places.  

11 hours ago, Tailgate said:

They better reanimate Steve Jobs then, because Tim Cook is not a visionary. He's just very good at squeezing every last penny of profit out of the house that Steve built