Markets still falling like whoa

Still looking at trading S&P500 put options to hedge on downside risk. I've always wondered about the stated statistics for the number of option contract trades I see posted on websites like Barchart.com.  It will show infinitely small numbers traded in a day, such as 150 contracts. How can that be? Do they really mean 150,000 or 150,000,000 or something else? These S&P options can't possibly be trading at that low a volume. Can someone clarify?
Also, I've been comparing the option prices to options calculators that I assume are based upon Black Scholes, and for some reason I'm getting wildly different option values. For example an S&P500 put option at 2950 strike price and an expiration at 4/30/20 shows a value of 62.40 on one site and 228.55 on another site. Meanwhile the bid ask is 135.60 vs 142.30. What am I missing here?

Subscribed

5 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Still looking at trading S&P500 put options to hedge on downside risk. I've always wondered about the stated statistics for the number of option contract trades I see posted on websites like Barchart.com.  It will show infinitely small numbers traded in a day, such as 150 contracts. How can that be? Do they really mean 150,000 or 150,000,000 or something else? These S&P options can't possibly be trading at that low a volume. Can someone clarify?

Also, I've been comparing the option prices to options calculators that I assume are based upon Black Scholes, and for some reason I'm getting wildly different option values. For example an S&P500 put option at 2950 strike price and an expiration at 4/30/20 shows a value of 62.40 on one site and 228.55 on another site. Meanwhile the bid ask is 135.60 vs 142.30. What am I missing here?

Implied volatility 

I’m a big Bogle fan and have my major investments tied up at Vanguard in a balanced portfolio of 65/45 stocks to bonds.

I have a 401k “play” account that has the hammer down and is 100% U.S. individual stocks (Seven total stocks that about once or twice a year I move some things around in).

Times like this I like to visit bogleheads.org and read their forums. There are some old wise investors who post very good logical advice in those threads. For those panicking, I recommend going to the site for some sound logic. No, we don’t know what the hell is going to happen tomorrow, next month or the rest of the year. But trying to time when to get out and when to jump back in is personally not something I’m not interested in doing.

Here is an excerpt from a post on the board I saw today:

“Sure, it's possible that the market will crash 50% or more, and NEVER recover. That's possible... That's why I'm not 100% stocks... I've been 50/50 for years now (recently moved to 45/55 a few months ago because I was getting closer to retirement)

But novice investors seem to think that a 50% crash is like the Titanic sinking, and must be avoided at all costs.

The long-term average nominal return of 9%-10% from the stock market INCLUDES the crashes. Those average returns INCLUDE the 50% drops.

Just riding the roller-coaster down and back up, in the past, still made you rich. There was no need to avoid the 50% crashes while saving for retirement.

Sure, riding the roller-coaster is scary... But you know what's even more dangerous? Jumping off the roller-coaster mid-ride.”

I know some posters on here feel like people can time things and everyone has different beliefs on how to make money in the market. I just wanted to pass this information along for those who might benefit from this perspective. And I do recommend bogleheads.org for early investors who are trying to figure out what to do with their money/savings/investments.

Best of luck to everyone.

• Like 5

Am in all cash other than speculative $$ in 3x leveraged bear ETF's and coronavirus vaccine stocks and I'm bracing for the worst.  The travel industry has already taken a huge hit due to travel restrictions and canceled trips for both business and pleasure, but that's just the beginning.  The coming drop in economic activity globally will be dramatic with the disruption of global supply chains for manufacturers and retailers and the drop in energy prices and production due to reduced consumption.  All those things could bring about a global recession.  That's a very real possibility and I'm handling my investments accordingly.  My kids are in their 30's and I've advised them to move their 401k money out of stocks and into a money market fund.  Nothing wrong with being in cash until we know where the hell we're going and, right now, no one knows.  I think the >best case< scenario is we have to live with anemic earnings for Q2 and Q3.  The next S&P 500 level to watch is around 2860.  If the market doesn't hold there, it's going to be brutal.  The market hates uncertainty and this situation is as uncertain as it gets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tailgate said:

I’m a big Bogle fan and have my major investments tied up at Vanguard in a balanced portfolio of 65/45 stocks to bonds.

I have a 401k “play” account that has the hammer down and is 100% U.S. individual stocks (Seven total stocks that about once or twice a year I move some things around in).

Times like this I like to visit bogleheads.org and read their forums. There are some old wise investors who post very good logical advice in those threads. For those panicking, I recommend going to the site for some sound logic. No, we don’t know what the hell is going to happen tomorrow, next month or the rest of the year. But trying to time when to get out and when to jump back in is personally not something I’m not interested in doing.

Here is an excerpt from a post on the board I saw today:

“Sure, it's possible that the market will crash 50% or more, and NEVER recover. That's possible... That's why I'm not 100% stocks... I've been 50/50 for years now (recently moved to 45/55 a few months ago because I was getting closer to retirement)

But novice investors seem to think that a 50% crash is like the Titanic sinking, and must be avoided at all costs.

The long-term average nominal return of 9%-10% from the stock market INCLUDES the crashes. Those average returns INCLUDE the 50% drops.

Just riding the roller-coaster down and back up, in the past, still made you rich. There was no need to avoid the 50% crashes while saving for retirement.

Sure, riding the roller-coaster is scary... But you know what's even more dangerous? Jumping off the roller-coaster mid-ride.”

I know some posters on here feel like people can time things and everyone has different beliefs on how to make money in the market. I just wanted to pass this information along for those who might benefit from this perspective. And I do recommend bogleheads.org for early investors who are trying to figure out what to do with their money/savings/investments.

Best of luck to everyone.

I’m pretty impressed that your portfolio is a 65/45 mix!

2 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Now think what it would be if you didn't take the brunt of the 50% drops.

There's gigantic assymetry between getting back in too late, versus eating all the loss on the way down.

14 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

There's gigantic assymetry between getting back in too late, versus eating all the loss on the way down.

i certainly don't doubt you but could you provide some evidence or more information.

here's how i look at it... in the event of a "catastrophe", chances are the market will drop significantly (and quickly). the number of days to correct itself will last longer than the plunge. if i thought shit may hit the fan, i'm gonna back out.  and even if I don't time it correctly to buy on the upswing, again, the number of days to correct itself is likely going to be longer than a significant plunge over a few days.  but don't take my word for it, i'm a noobie buy and hold type of fella.  maybe someone can explain this more eloquently.  

Edited by Hmmm

Here's the deal:  buy and hold is "timing the market".  It's a strategy.  I am fully convinced one can do better, particularly in tax-free accounts, but the Bogle Bros always skewer me whenever I make the case, so what the fuck ever.

Sure, sit back and watch it dump.  It'll rebound someday.  Best strategy ever, nobody could possibly do better, if anyone says they can, they're lying.

32 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Here's the deal:  buy and hold is "timing the market". 

i'm not sure i made myself clear.  i am a buy and hold long-term (bogle), and "timing the market" is nearly irrelevant.  i know i don't have to tell you this... was probably unclear to begin with.   

* i do occasionally sell off and try to time the market but that's rare   

Due to the reduction in demand, American Airlines is suspending operations to and from Milan, Italy, and New York (JFK) and Miami (MIA). Flights to Milan are scheduled to resume April 25. Our teams are contacting affected customers directly to accommodate their needs. American continues to review the airline’s flight schedule to ensure that customers’ needs are accommodated and will make additional refinements as necessary.

Probably flights to all of Italy pretty soon.  CEO not getting a bonus this year?

14 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

This has to start impacting US employment numbers soon. Companies can’t keep people on the payroll to do nothing. 

Dock workers, warehouse workers, trucking and rail workers.   That’s just the beginning.   There’s companies who service the ships and the industry, there’s the local businesses (food, etc.) who support the docks and shipping industry.   

2 hours ago, Hmmm said:

i'm not sure i made myself clear.  i am a buy and hold long-term (bogle), and "timing the market" is nearly irrelevant.  i know i don't have to tell you this... was probably unclear to begin with.   

* i do occasionally sell off and try to time the market but that's rare   

Most people would agree that  long-term hold is a better, especially for people that have a job unrelated to the market. I can only spend so much time on this.   BUT, the next 3 to 6 months may be unlike anything that has been seen in more than a hundred years. (Spanish-flu of 1918). Probably not in terms of #of deaths, but in terms of panic, fear, and societal & economic impact. How is the stock market going to handle this?  It's probably not going (and staying) up much for a while.

I have never been more certain that the market was going to crash than I was last week.  It would have been a stupid for me to stay in the market and play the long-term game.  I got out on Monday and got partially back in on Friday; I may go all the way back in first thing Monday morning.    Even if the market tanks again after I get back in, by sitting out last week and avoiding the drop, I just just made a huge amount of money.    If/when it _does_ get back to the levels of 2 weeks ago, I'm going to have a shitload more shares of everything.

In a nutshell, I have no idea what the market is going to do this week, so I'm going to get in and hold, even though I think we are headed for something like a 6 month recession. But if everything lines up again for such a  clear sizable crash, I'll step out again.  

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

If you're making regular contributions you aren't "eating all the loss" as you're buying cheaper stock on the way down.  Brings your total average cost down at the same time.

1 hour ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Most people would agree that  long-term hold is a better, especially for people that have a job unrelated to the market. I can only spend so much time on this.   BUT, the next 3 to 6 months may be unlike anything that has been seen in more than a hundred years. (Spanish-flu of 1918). Probably not in terms of #of deaths, but in terms of panic, fear, and societal & economic impact. How is the stock market going to handle this?  It's probably not going (and staying) up much for a while.

I have never been more certain that the market was going to crash than I was last week.  It would have been a stupid for me to stay in the market and play the long-term game.  I got out on Monday and got partially back in on Friday; I may go all the way back in first thing Monday morning.    Even if the market tanks again after I get back in, by sitting out last week and avoiding the drop, I just just made a huge amount of money.    If/when it _does_ get back to the levels of 2 weeks ago, I'm going to have a shitload more shares of everything.

In a nutshell, I have no idea what the market is going to do this week, so I'm going to get in and hold, even though I think we are headed for something like a 6 month recession. But if everything lines up again for such a  clear sizable crash, I'll step out again.  

yup, sounds aligned with my strategy.  i don't have the experience and/or knowledge to forecast futures and options. it's a shit show

then again, i should probably get into maths, medians, and averages again. BUT like ya said, "I can only spend so much time on this."

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

If you're making regular contributions you aren't "eating all the loss" as you're buying cheaper stock on the way down.  Brings your total average cost down at the same time.

that's sound advice for a... not me... a friend.

3 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Do the math with 10 years of regular contributions and growth, and buying down 1 year of market losses

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Dock workers, warehouse workers, trucking and rail workers.   That’s just the beginning.   There’s companies who service the ships and the industry, there’s the local businesses (food, etc.) who support the docks and shipping industry.   

Our hotel numbers are already down.  25% increase in cancellations.  People are not travelling for business.

Just got a nice bonus from good last quarter numbers....was gonna spend it on hookers and blow.....jobs but maybe now would be the time to buy low.

Edited by mulletpelini

4 hours ago, Hmmm said:

how can one use volatility to hedge?  in lamien terms please.

If you earn 20% on year 1, 0% year 2, you average 10% and have $1.20. If you earn 10% and then 10%, you have $1.21. So volatility has a real dollar cost.

Dollar cost averaging is the best strategy mathematically. You're buying more when stuff is cheap.

Better plan is to inherit money or marry it.

I fully understand that logic that it’s impossible to time the market. You can never buy at the bottom or sell at the top, but that doesn’t mean that some trends can’t be surmised. The market was already at all time highs and there were signs that it wouldn’t take much for a correction.

Add that the signs for a global recession are getting higher each day as the coronavirus spreads and more commerce halts.

Nothing wrong with partially selling some holdings to limit the downside. And upside. In a crisis, stability isn’t bad for passive investors.

27 minutes ago, Okie State said:

So is it too late to move a 401k into money market funds?

Never too late to make a decision. I guess it depends on whether you think the market could ultimately see a 25% drop of whether you think we will have forgotten about coronavirus by summer.

If you’re thinking of selling, I wouldn’t sell 100%. And you don’t have to sell in one day.

im just an anonymous person on the internet but you don’t want to let fear of missing out (stocks going up or down) drive your decisions. 

As soon as we get good news on the Virus the snap back will be as quick as the drop. Electronic and momentum trading along with indexing have speed characteristics that don’t allow for waiting for the all clear signal. That’s why you take positions during drops.

As soon as we get good news on the Virus the snap back will be as quick as the drop. Electronic and momentum trading along with indexing have speed characteristics that don’t allow for waiting for the all clear signal. That’s why you take positions during drops.
I agree, but I also think it gets much worse before that good news comes.

41 minutes ago, Okie State said:
53 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

The problem is there is no way to know, even if it gets worse before better if you just hold you won't miss the snap back. 

If you sell now and miss the bounce back up you lose. Selling now is just trying to time the market. And if most of your money is in taxable accounts it make no sense (on non-taxable accounts I the risk is a little less but still timing the market). 

The only way you lose if you hold is if it does not go back up before you retire. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Okie State said:
59 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

For the foreseeable future, upside in this market is very limited and the downside risk is substantial.  Bank of America now sees a 50 basis point cut at the Fed’s meeting March 17-18.  However, the Fed could do an emergency rate cut at any time.  Whenever that rate cut does come, the market should bounce and you could sell your stocks into that strength. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hornbri said:

The problem is there is no way to know, even if it gets worse before better if you just hold you won't miss the snap back. 

If you sell now and miss the bounce back up you lose. Selling now is just trying to time the market. And if most of your money is in taxable accounts it make no sense (on non-taxable accounts I the risk is a little less but still timing the market). 

The only way you lose if you hold is if it does not go back up before you retire. 

The tax impacts haven’t gotten nearly enough discussion.  Again assuming a taxable account and a long term hold a 20% haircut on gains is substantial.

Just now, Incredulity said:

The tax impacts haven’t gotten nearly enough discussion.  Again assuming a taxable account and a long term hold a 20% haircut on gains is substantial.

Exactly, I think that is often missed. 

I did sell stuff that was at a loss last week but immediately bought back into the market in other funds (to avoid the wash rule).

I got to bank the loss against future gains and buy on the loss. 

21 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

I know on surly we're all 1%ers that only date models, but I think even here the vast majority of us are in the 15% long term cap gains bracket.  Your point still remains valid though.

1 hour ago, Harrison Stafford said:

For the foreseeable future, upside in this market is very limited and the downside risk is substantial.  Bank of America now sees a 50 basis point cut at the Fed’s meeting March 17-18.  However, the Fed could do an emergency rate cut at any time.  Whenever that rate cut does come, the market should bounce and you could sell your stocks into that strength. 

While I agree, a Fed cut won't do shit related to panic/coronavirus selling

27 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

I know on surly we're all 1%ers that only date models, but I think even here the vast majority of us are in the 15% long term cap gains bracket.  Your point still remains valid though.

Maybe, I actually thought if most people are maxing out tax deferred accounts first then most of shaggy with money in taxable accounts would be in the 20% bracket (at least they like to talk like it). 

1 hour ago, hornbri said:

buy high, sell low, and claim deductions on taxes is the way to go.  everybody knows that.

34 minutes ago, hornbri said:

Maybe, I actually thought if most people are maxing out tax deferred accounts first then most of shaggy with money in taxable accounts would be in the 20% bracket (at least they like to talk like it). 

We all talk like big swinging dicks but 20% kicks in at 435k for single filers.  I'm sure some of us are there (not me) but certainly not most.