Dumb Question Amnesty Thread (football edition)

SDG

Maurice Clarett called his own number on the wheel route in the 2002 OSU-Michigan game. Trailing 9-7 late in the 4th qtr, he told Jim Tressel that the Michigan D was ignoring him as a receiver after the play fake. Following a QB sneak on 4th and short, Craig Krenzel threw a 25 yd strike to a wide open Clarett on the wheel route to set up first and goal. A couple plays later the Bucks scored what would be the game winning TD on an option pitch to Maurice Hall. The first time they ran the option all year. 

If you watch the video, you can see Clarett lobbying Tressel for the call prior to the QB sneak. 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Maurice Clarett called his own number on the wheel route in the 2002 OSU-Michigan game. Trailing 9-7 late in the 4th qtr, he told Jim Tressel that the Michigan D was ignoring him as a receiver after the play fake. Following a QB sneak on 4th and short, Craig Krenzel threw a 25 yd strike to a wide open Clarett on the wheel route to set up first and goal. A couple plays later the Bucks scored what would be the game winning TD on an option pitch to Maurice Hall. The first time they ran the option all year. 

If you watch the video, you can see Clarett lobbying Tressel for the call prior to the QB sneak. 

Move ahead in the action to 6:10

You could watch that stupid fucking tosu example that no one cares about or you could skip to 1:00 in this video:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/7/17/17579422/vince-young-2005-texas-oklahoma-billy-pittman

...the Sooners yelled, “Sprint-out! Sprint-out! Sprint-out! And then Texas receiver Billy Pittman started too soon, drawing a 5-yard penalty

But as the Longhorns huddled again, Vince Young was resolute.

”I told the guys, If they call out our play, we’re gonna laugh when we score,’ Young said.

Sixty-four yards later? Pittman was in the end zone.

”We all laughed," Young said.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SDG said:

Don't be afraid to ask.  

What is a Wheel route?  

While we’re at it, for the longest time I didn’t know what a smash route was. People will say “they ran a smash route on that corner.” I knew what it was, but I guess I didn’t know there was a term for it. Basically just any route combination like this that forces the cover 3 corner to make an either/or decision. Usually like this one, since the saftey can rarely get over the top of the corner route. 

1B629008-4280-4E76-8C37-9A31F357D635.jpeg

and this is cover 3 for what it’s worth

6D6765B4-ED6D-45D3-AE68-3D4B7E22D964.png

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I see lineman get out of their stance constantly when they are communicating and changing the play. Literally get up and turn around. Nothing is called. Then other times they will call false start for the slightest flinch.What is the difference between the 2 incidents?

They just have to be set for a moment/ pause/ count in the ref's head before the snap.  Also if the hand is down in the dirt/ turf, they cannot raise back up until the snap.

Only one player can be in motion at the snap of the ball, and that rule plays into this sometimes.

If you think back to Landry's OL on the Cowboys, they would all do the raise up and then get set after the QB's signal.  The ball couldn't be snapped during that process or it would have been an infraction.

Edited by slorch

7 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I see lineman get out of their stance constantly when they are communicating and changing the play. Literally get up and turn around. Nothing is called. Then other times they will call false start for the slightest flinch.What is the difference between the 2 incidents?

As with many other things it’s easier being on the field to know, but it all has to do with simulating the snap. Which usually includes quick, jerk type movements.

8 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

intent.  it’s not hard to tell when it’s an accident and when you’re trying to communicate. 

4 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

Check out the Michigan / Jim Harbaugh offense before they hired the guy from Alabama and you’ll have your answer.

I can't recall the exact quote but, when Harbaugh went into coaching, Bo Schembechler essentially made him promise to use the fullback in his offense. Harbaugh's evolution hasn't exactly gone smoothly. 

• 2 years later...

Last night in the TCU vs WVU game, TCU had a 3rd and 8 at the WVU 37-yard line with 53 seconds left in the ballgame.   On the play, it looked like Chandler Morris was sacked for a loss and that lost yardage would take them out of field goal range.  On the way down, Morris threw a pass wildly up in the air that landed a few feet from where he was sacked.  He was in the pocket, it did not appear there was any receiver in the area, and the ball did not look like it made it past the line of scrimmage.  The sack was reviewed by the Big 12 and the ruling was that he was not down, and the pass was ruled incomplete.  TCU saved the lost yardage and was able to try to kick a tying field goal from the 37. 

Dumb question:  Why did the Big 12 officials not review for intentional grounding which would have been a penalty plus loss of down?  It was very similar to the wild pass Bryant Young threw in the endzone last year in the Alabama game which was also not called as grounding.