Sen. Feinstein dies at age 90

Gil Bang

Just now, Murfdogg21 said:

Term limits should also take care of most of the olds. 

Oh agreed, being a politician shouldn't be a career.

I'd go with 12 years for federal offices. 2 senate terms, 6 house terms, repeal and replace the 22nd amendment with 3 terms instead of 2.

Some senators have served for close to 50 years and some reps close to 60. That's just ridiculous. If by some string of luck an individual were to max out all 3 categories they're still only at 36 years. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Satchel said:

There are 82 year olds who should not be allowed to drive. I wouldn’t count Dr. Fauci or Bernie Sanders in that number.

I am absolutely ok with outliers being inconvenienced for the good of the rest of us

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

So do I. And I would not get in a vehicle with a single one driving. 

3 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

So do I. And I would not get in a vehicle with a single one driving. 

I do, on occasion. But the trips are short. We don’t 80 on LBJ. 96 year old relative just stopped driving herself to church last year.

1 minute ago, Satchel said:

I do, on occasion. But the trips are short. We don’t 80 on LBJ. 96 year old relative just stopped driving herself to church last year.

I’ve taken care of many over the years who have done themselves and others serious harm up to and including death. Risk of causing MVA goes up significantly above age 75, and the severity of the wrecks goes up as well. I have no doubt it is a nonlinear increase the older you go above 75, but none of the studies I’ve seen break it down further, though with the aging of the population I’m sure they will eventually. 

2 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Oh agreed, being a politician shouldn't be a career.

I'd go with 12 years for federal offices. 2 senate terms, 6 house terms, repeal and replace the 22nd amendment with 3 terms instead of 2.

Some senators have served for close to 50 years and some reps close to 60. That's just ridiculous. If by some string of luck an individual were to max out all 3 categories they're still only at 36 years. 

Ive always said 12 years for House, Senate, and Supreme Court. But I would change the term length for the house to 4 years, so these attention whore chucklefucks don't spend 95% of their time campaigning. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 4

I’m not opposed to some constraints where manual dexterity is critical, but in areas where it is not and cognitive impairment is not evident, then I’m good with you being the Pope or the president. I’d much rather abide a slower octogenarian who is lucid, decent, principled and in command of the faculties required to perform his/her job than a younger, ignorant, criminally inclined narcissist.

On 4/18/2023 at 7:29 PM, Pig Bellmont said:

Give me a fucking break. Republicans voted to keep a senile senator on an important committee only because she’s incapable of showing up to work. That’s a shitty move. I’m not saying Dems are blameless but it’s amazing that people just assume GOP will be soulless assholes who only care about power

You’re missing the point.  Completely.  The Republicans play to win.  And their agenda is 100% asshole.  The Dems are nice people that care more about optics and niceties instead of winning.  And many of us think the country is in dire straights so it’s maddening when the good guys aren’t cutthroat about winning even while they’re being cheated and swindled by the other side 24/7.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

You're missing the point.  She's shitty and this would be a good opportunity to replace her with a good Senator.

And voters and good young candidates should take care of the olds, but the former are stupid and the latter are hard to find.

Lol.  I’m saying shitcan her at all costs.  Which is NOT what the Dems are doing.  

• Hook 'Em 1

How do you shitcan an elected federal official besides not re-electing them? You can pressure her to resign but it’s not like Biden or Schumer or Newsom can “fire” her. 

23 minutes ago, Js1 said:

How do you shitcan an elected federal official besides not re-electing them? You can pressure her to resign but it’s not like Biden or Schumer or Newsom can “fire” her. 

is there not an impeachment process similar to the prez and scotus?

24 minutes ago, Js1 said:

You leverage her staff with being blacklisted from future employment if they don't leak just how fucking far gone she is. Take some fucking videos where she doesn't know what her goddamn name is, and then you force Schumer and everyone else to remove her from fucking office. That's how you fucking do it. 

There's a place for kindness and decorum, and there's a place for respecting your co-workers and the will of the people. And then there's removing someone incapable of performing their job and doing harm. Which everyone was fine doing when it was "trump has his hand on the nuclear button and he's insane." Meanwhile this bitch who tipped of the Nightstalker 30 fucking years ago can't even eat oatmeal. Meanwhile, the Republicans found a way to get rid of Madison Cawthorn REAL fast. 

• Hook 'Em 8

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

is there not an impeachment process similar to the prez and scotus?

No. The Senate can expel her but that sounds ridiculously messy and like the last thing the Dem caucus needs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You leverage her staff with being blacklisted from future employment if they don't leak just how fucking far gone she is. 

Okay. Maybe that is happening. We don't know.  You certainly don't know. I certainly don't either.  I doubt Chuck Schumer, Joe Biden and Gavin Newsom are going to send out a Coach Fran newsletter detailing what they are doing behind the scenes. 

You can't shame the shameless into doing the right thing and people don't like to voluntarily give up power.  See "The Republican Party" for examples 1 through 5,795.

Take some fucking videos where she doesn't know what her goddamn name is, and then you force Schumer and everyone else to remove her from fucking office. That's how you fucking do it. 

Also, I don't support Feinstein remaining in her position, but that would be an absolutely disgusting thing to do to her and her family.

Meanwhile, the Republicans found a way to get rid of Madison Cawthorn REAL fast. 

Yes, by beating him in a primary. 

Edited by Js1

16 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Okay. Maybe that is happening. We don't know.  You certainly don't know. I certainly don't either.  I doubt Chuck Schumer, Joe Biden and Gavin Newsom are going to send out a Coach Fran newsletter detailing what they are doing behind the scenes. 

If it was happening, if that's what people were doing, then it would have or SHOULD have happened 6 weeks ago, so either way, there's still plenty of room for fucking criticism. 

You can't shame the shameless into doing the right thing and people don't like to voluntarily give up power.  See "The Republican Party" for examples 1 through 5,795.

I don't see what anything I posted has to do with relying on the shameless to give up power. Completely irrelevant to my point. 

Also, I don't support Feinstein remaining in her position, but that would be an absolutely disgusting thing to do to her and her family.

Is it as disgusting as what she's doing to the judiciary? Is it as disgusting as her campaigning for re-election when she's known to have been out of her faculties for years? Maybe her family should be a bit more fucking persuasive about getting her to step down if they don't want to be embarrassed. But I'll tell you what, any video that got leaked, well, her family has fucking seen that shit before. If there is something embarrassing they don't want out, maybe they should ask themselves if it means she's not capable of doing her fucking job? "Listen, that video of me driving drunk is way to embarrassing to get out. There might be repercussions. But yeah, no, I'm still going to drink and drive." Fuck. That. Shit.

And yes, they leaked a ton of fucking shit about Cawthorn so he got smoked in his fucking primary, after 1 session in Congress. Sorry, timing isn't working out for us on that one, so maybe just leak a bunch of shit that shows she can't do her job and then remove her from doing her fucking job.

This is the shit people talk about when they mock the fecklessness of the Democratic party. "Listen, democracy and women's right's to their own bodies are at stake, but you know what, lets not hurt the feelings of the 96 year old senator that literally can't show up to her fucking job by removing her from her fucking job."  

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yes, the republicans are embracing cruelty and stupidity.  I am proud to have made a tiny, tiny difference in the midterms to help defeat that idiotic harm.  Your party defied the odds and maintained a slim majority in the Senate.  And they’re doing every fucking they can to screw it up and lose the shit outta 2024.  There really isn’t much the Democratic Party can’t fuck up.  Well done.  

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yes, the republicans are embracing cruelty and stupidity.  I am proud to have made a tiny, tiny difference in the midterms to help defeat that idiotic harm.  Your party defied the odds and maintained a slim majority in the Senate.  And they’re doing every fucking they can to screw it up and lose the shit outta 2024.  There really isn’t much the Democratic Party can’t fuck up.  Well done.  

Hey, mouthy Anastasis, I just watched you shit water all over the Cruz and Allred thread. We get it, you love to stay above the fray while shit talking both parties. No one needs your pile-on here either, because it just comes across as you being a prick instead of any actual constructive conversation that might change people's minds. Why don't you go back to your Ted Cruz hate chamber and continue on there? Although, the regularity of your Cruz cycle is starting to have me wonder if Cruz didn't fuck YOUR wife. Maybe that explains your quixotic quest to get democratic voters to switch to the republican primary to vote for someone other than Cruz as opposed to, I don't know, using whatever leverage you claim to have to changing YOUR party's behavior. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Mouthy Anastasis?  Now you’re just being mean dude.  

you know you can vote for GOP candidate In the senate primary/runoff and still vote for a democrat in the general right?  I’d have Feinstein explain it to you, but you know…she’s busy fucking over the judiciary committee.  Oh sorry, am I being insensitive and piling on?  Get your big kid pants on and come join the real fight.  Nobody is above the fray anymore.  This dying regime of cruelty can neither afford our complacency nor bumper stickers.  I’ll fuck with Feinstein as much as I fuck with Cruz.  Either lead or die.   We are out of time and fucks to give.  

11 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Mouthy Anastasis?  Now you’re just being mean dude.  

you know you can vote for GOP candidate In the senate primary/runoff and still vote for a democrat in the general right?  I’d have Feinstein explain it to you, but you know…she’s busy fucking over the judiciary committee.  Oh sorry, am I being insensitive and piling on?  Get your big kid pants on and come join the real fight.  Nobody is above the fray anymore.  This dying regime of cruelty can neither afford our complacency nor bumper stickers.  I’ll fuck with Feinstein as much as I fuck with Cruz.  Either lead or die.   We are out of time and fucks to give.  

I don't care who you make fun of, but this specific schtick is tired. Get some new material. It's like logging into the Elon thread and reading the 5th "reading Grimes DMs" joke of the day. We know where you stand, we know you hate cruz, and making the same dumb ass post over and over and over about the Republican primary in Texas in regards to Cruz is approaching Randolph Duke levels of obliviousness. Or why this Texas democrat sucks.

You seem like a smart guy. More importantly, you seem to think of yourself as a smart guy. So get some new material and move onward. 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

You put the full court press on her from every possible angle.  You tell her staff they'll never work in politics again if they don't get this done.  You do everything you possibly can to get her the fuck out of there.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

This is what @ChiTownDoc was talking about.  She is completely fucking the country over because she won't resign and you're worried about the optics?

• Hook 'Em 7

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Come on,  you don't know how politics work?  How does Mitch always get his people in line?  

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

You leverage her staff with being blacklisted from future employment if they don't leak just how fucking far gone she is. Take some fucking videos where she doesn't know what her goddamn name is, and then you force Schumer and everyone else to remove her from fucking office. That's how you fucking do it. 

There's a place for kindness and decorum, and there's a place for respecting your co-workers and the will of the people. And then there's removing someone incapable of performing their job and doing harm. Which everyone was fine doing when it was "trump has his hand on the nuclear button and he's insane." Meanwhile this bitch who tipped of the Nightstalker 30 fucking years ago can't even eat oatmeal. Meanwhile, the Republicans found a way to get rid of Madison Cawthorn REAL fast. 

Yep, all of this.  I can't believe anyone is like 'oh well, we'll have to wait to vote her out'.  Give me a break.  

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

This is what @ChiTownDoc was talking about.  She is completely fucking the country over because she won't resign and you're worried about the optics?

Oh fuck off. I’ve said multiple times she should not be in her position anymore. But you think they should record someone with dementia and blast it all over the internet? One of the most horrendous and awful things to see someone go through, having lost grandparents to it  

Im out. Y’all are disgusting. 

Edited by Js1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

LOL, it's so terrible for her and her family.  I deal with dementia patients ALL the fucking time.  Sign paperwork that they can't make decisions for themselves etc.  Their family gets involved or we have to get the state involved for guardianship.  These are people who aren't even safe to make decisions in their own home.  Diane's MMSE would score in the same damn range and she's in CONGRESS.  And you're thinking taking decision making away from a dementia patient is an 'absolutely disgusting thing to do to her and her family'.  We are so fucked. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Sometimes I hate the Democratic Party almost as much as the GOP. Almost. Giant party of pussies right now. The reference to LBJ was spot-on. That dude would have solved this problem a long time ago. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

The important thing is that we screw over millions of young women so that her family and staff can keep stealing from her campaign coffers.  

Oh wait, was that out loud?  You fucking children.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Oh fuck off. I’ve said multiple times she should not be in her position anymore. But you think they should record someone with dementia and blast it all over the internet? One of the most horrendous and awful things to see someone go through, having lost grandparents to it  

I think they should do whatever they need to do to get her to resign.  She's fucking over the entire country and it needs to stop.  

I've also lost grandparents to Alzheimers and dementia.  It's fucking terrible.  But the problem is, she may not even know who she (or her loved ones) are anymore.  And yet she's still a sitting Senator.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It's more humane than pushing her down a flight of stairs or taking the batteries out of her life alert bracelet.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Her family and staff and plenty of people have an opportunity to get her to resign now, without any of that. And yet it continually doesn't happen, despite the fact that she's not running again in 2024. Despite the fact she's hurting democracy, despite the fact she can't show up and do her job, despite the fact by all accounts getting her to sign some fucking resignation paperwork and telling her it's a door dash delivery receipt wouldn't be hard at all. One would argue, this is a HUMANE thing to do for her, which would also be good for democracy, and her legacy. But here you are, calling us disgusting, and not her family and confidantes and, yes, peers in the US Senate. Who also all happen to be old AF. 

My grandfather had dementia, and then my grandmother. And they died not too long after their assisted living home moved them into separate rooms. And in their last years, they weren't even allow to shit unattended, much less work in the US Senate. But you think we're disgusting? The people I mentioned above are disgusting. And you're not the only person with a monopoly on suffering when it comes to family with dementia. 

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Her family and staff and plenty of people have an opportunity to get her to resign now, without any of that. And yet it continually doesn't happen, despite the fact that she's not running again in 2024. Despite the fact she's hurting democracy, despite the fact she can't show up and do her job, despite the fact by all accounts getting her to sign some fucking resignation paperwork and telling her it's a door dash delivery receipt wouldn't be hard at all. One would argue, this is a HUMANE thing to do for her, which would also be good for democracy, and her legacy. But here you are, calling us disgusting, and not her family and confidantes and, yes, peers in the US Senate. Who also all happen to be old AF. 

My grandfather had dementia, and then my grandmother. And they died not too long after their assisted living home moved them into separate rooms. And in their last years, they weren't even allow to shit unattended, much less work in the US Senate. But you think we're disgusting? The people I mentioned above are disgusting. And you're not the only person with a monopoly on suffering when it comes to family with dementia. 

https://rollcall.com/2003/06/10/101st-senator-heads-to-k-street/

Ture story:  I ran into Thurmond outside the Library of Congress on the House side (somewhere he couldn't have been) in 2000.  He was totally lost and befuddled.  I gently guided him over to a Capitol Hill Police Officer at the Cannon entrance, informed them who he was, and suggested they take him to get some water and call his office. I was headed to the now closed Capitol Lounge to go get my drink on, Duke short sent my boss a nice note the next day thanking me for my assistance. 

Fuck all this anti ageism shit.  The constitution has age limits for when you are old enough to serve, it can have age limits when you are too old. No Member or President may be sworn in after their 75th birthday. No Justice may sit a case after their 75th birthday. It's a built in term limit. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

75 may be too young.  But we are a society of arbitrary ages.  There are 18 year olds & 21 year olds who behave like toddlers.  They are 80 year olds that are sharp as any of us in middle-age.  But we set parameters all the time for myriad ages and myriad duties.  In government, education, the military, marriage, civic functions, etc.  85 is probably a good cutoff for higher office.  And even it's not, the blatant fucking evidence that the buffoon can't be bothered to fucking show up to vote or do committee work is a pretty big goddamn tell.  But yes, we're piling on and so darn insensitive.  There are people stealing from her right now, and their whole office is stealing from our country and my children's future.  300 posts about how she's an affront to her state, her party, and her country...but we're being mean and exhausting tropes.  Fuck off.

I think the best way is to let the voters decide.  Period.

But I will also say that Ronald Reagan wasn't as in touch as he was previously in his second term, and she's where Reagan was most of his second term.

Edited by horn4life

16 minutes ago, horn4life said:

But I will also say that Ronald Reagan wasn't as in touch as he was previously in his second term, and she's where Reagan was most of his second term.

Reagan showed up and did his job, so no.  She's not where he was, she's much, much worse.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Reagan showed up and did his job, so no.  She's not where he was, she's much, much worse.

This is picking nits, but lots of folks say Reagan was completely worthless much of his second term. The difference between him and Feinstein is that she literally can't do her job. Reagan manage to keep steering the country, moving forward legislation, etc. So from that perspective, yeah, she's way fucking worse than him. He managed to keep it fairly hidden. She can't even remember her name. 

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Reagan could have done his job sitting in depends and never leaving the residence, to be fair.  

54 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Reagan could have done his job sitting in depends and never leaving the residence, to be fair.  

Does Feinstein even know she's a Senator anymore?  Forget about being able to do the job, does she even know what her job is?

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

The reference to LBJ was spot-on. That dude would have solved this problem a long time ago. 

He would have taken care of this problem.  I'm not saying he'd have somebody take her out back behind the barn and go all Old Yeller on her....but he would not have been a patient man.

giphy.gif

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

• Gil Bang changed the title to Sen. Feinstein dies at age 90