Sen. Feinstein dies at age 90

Gil Bang

2 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Yeah, follow the money because her staff will be out of jobs.  

An LBJ-like figure would take her chief of staff aside and explain how they and everybody under them will never work in politics again and will be shunned if they go the lobbyist route, if they don't stop fucking this up.

Say what you want about how fucking stupid Republican legislators can be these days, but the GOP probably wouldn't let something like this happen, or let a RBG hang around longer than she should, opening the door to be replaced by a member from the other party.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Yes, the GOP is tremendous at policing their own ranks and quickly getting rid of embarrassing and politically damaging figures for the party.

spacer.png

He got them their Supreme Court justices and a shitload of other federal justices, along with plenty of pork.  Sure, he cost them the Senate, the House, and the White house, and while they got the House back, him being around in 2024 could cause them problems with it again, but in terms of the judicial appointees, he more than delivered.

An LBJ-like figure would take her chief of staff aside and explain how they and everybody under them will never work in politics again and will be shunned if they go the lobbyist route, if they don't stop fucking this up.
Say what you want about how fucking stupid Republican legislators can be these days, but the GOP probably wouldn't let something like this happen, or let a RBG hang around longer than she should, opening the door to be replaced by a member from the other party.

lol

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

36 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

He got them their Supreme Court justices and a shitload of other federal justices, along with plenty of pork.  Sure, he cost them the Senate, the House, and the White house, and while they got the House back, him being around in 2024 could cause them problems with it again, but in terms of the judicial appointees, he more than delivered.

Abortion is gone and they’ve laid a threadbare judiciary legal theory allowing for challenges to any progressive legislation. So long as they have a majority, it won’t matter that they won’t rule against GOP administrations.  I’d say Trump delivered their best wet dreams

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

lol

Mitch was going to get his Supreme Court nominations and other appointees if he had to kill people to do it.

28 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Abortion is gone and they’ve laid a threadbare judiciary legal theory allowing for challenges to any progressive legislation. So long as they have a majority, it won’t matter that they won’t rule against GOP administrations.  I’d say Trump delivered their best wet dreams

Yep, people don't understand how important abortion was to some GQP nuts, or the other judicial appointees that Trump was able to make.

And Feinstein is completely fucking over Biden's chances of helping to mitigate some of that.

Edited by atomheartbevo

On 4/13/2023 at 8:20 AM, atomheartbevo said:

This man would not have put up with that shit - Schumer and Durbin could learn a thing or two from him.

361px-37_Lyndon_Johnson_3x4.jpg

And if a little talking to them didn't work, LBJ might just invite them to tour his home turf of Texas; maybe in a nice open air convertible.  That man did not put up with shit.

Edited by 0xdeadbeef
  • Rage+1 1

Realizing how much of our government and judicial system relies on decorum, precedent, and established norms has been sobering over the past 7 years. Done asshole saying, "No, I'm not going to do that" was apparently never considered.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

And if a little talking to them didn't work, LBJ might just invite them to tour his home turf of Texas; maybe in a nice open air convertible.  That man did not put up with shit.

Well, one of his favorite things to do was to drive unsuspecting folks in his amphibious car into the water while yelling that the brakes were out.

I remember when we toured his a ranch as a kid they said he was particularly fond of doing it to newlyweds to see if the new husband would try to save his bride.

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Well, one of his favorite things to do was to drive unsuspecting folks in his amphibious car into the water while yelling that the brakes were out.

I remember when we toured his a ranch as a kid they said he was particularly fond of doing it to newlyweds to see if the new husband would try to save his bride.

Holy shit that's hilarious.

The root of the problem is Feinstein / her staff. You can’t force her to retire. She’s either so shamelessly willing to hang onto her title for another year and a half or she has no fucking idea who she is and that’s on the CDP for not absolutely tearing into her staff and threatening to end careers if they don’t get her to step down.

Newsom should be handing out LBJ-style threats that they will never work for a California politico again if they don’t step in and pull the trigger on her career 

• Hook 'Em 9

43 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

No idea how this works, but if she resigns and someone is appointed to her seat, do they automatically get placed on the judiciary committee? Or would they still have to be appointed by a vote?

It depends on the Rules Committee each Congress.  Typically tradition has held serve.  But who the fuck knows these days?  Had she quietly resigned (I mean, relatively speaking---I know the Senior Senator from our largest state can't quietly eat a muffin).  But the GOP jumped on the in-fighting and now it's their biggest fucking issue along with the debt ceiling.  If she wasn't on Judiciary and Biden didn't have just ~18 months to get through a shitton of nominations, no harm, no foul.  Let her go quietly into that good night.  But the one fucking thing her party needs her for and she can't get the fuck outta dodge for 9 months...so the GOP waits in the weeds for this to percolate and now blocks it.  And the Democratic leadership is, "This is misogyny."  Yeah folks, not the right time to play that card.  I know you need to play it for all the times you forgot to play it, but this...truly is not that fucking day.  Get your fucking house in order.  This is gonna be Ginsburg 2.0 you keep fucking about.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

Ladies and gentlemen... THE DEMOCRATS!

aristocrats3.jpg

Give me a fucking break. Republicans voted to keep a senile senator on an important committee only because she’s incapable of showing up to work. That’s a shitty move. I’m not saying Dems are blameless but it’s amazing that people just assume GOP will be soulless assholes who only care about power

• Hook 'Em 1

Kind of a related thing.  Pauline Newman, age 95, was the first judge appointed to the newly formed US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.

She's one of only a handful that have ever had a career as a practicing patent attorney (she has a PhD in Chemistry).  She's been pretty staunchly pro-patent in a lot of ways that reflect her deeper understanding of technical and patent law matters.

She's always been a little crusty in terms of taking the rest of the court to task in dissents and so forth.

By most accounts of public appearances, including very recently, she's still pretty sharp or at least at times.  And her opinions seem to be hers (not clerks) and cogent as ever.

But some shit has gone on that may end up in her removal from the court.  She refused to take senior status when she was eligible because she might not get any cases from the Chief Judge (currently kind of a bitch that I don't care for named Kimberly Moore).  And that same Chief Judge is moving against her.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-appeals-court-judge-faces-rare-probe-into-competency-misconduct-2023-04-14/

Some dipshits claim she doesn't want a replacement named by Biden (she's a Reagan appointee, but it's an apolitical position and Republicans by and large don't support her pro-patent position any more or less than Democrats, although Obama's administration was very bad for patents).  Others think she feels herself among the last true defenders of the US patent system who occupies a vital position on the court.

It's a terrible mess for a pretty damn good jurist, and a female pioneer.

Edited by TwiceHorn

It’s a mess she is creating for herself and that we allowed to be created. 95 year olds don’t belong on the bench and 90 year olds don’t belong in the Senate. Old people are cranky and will cling onto what they have as long as they are allowed to.

Hot take, I know.  I’d prefer an age limit for public service before term limits for sure. I’d set it at 75. 

• Hook 'Em 9

17 hours ago, Js1 said:

The root of the problem is Feinstein / her staff. You can’t force her to retire. She’s either so shamelessly willing to hang onto her title for another year and a half or she has no fucking idea who she is and that’s on the CDP for not absolutely tearing into her staff and threatening to end careers if they don’t get her to step down.

Newsom should be handing out LBJ-style threats that they will never work for a California politico again if they don’t step in and pull the trigger on her career 

They should've replaced her on the committee at the beginning of the year. This was beyond fucking predictable.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

They should've replaced her on the committee at the beginning of the year. This was beyond fucking predictable.

I mean after they sat the 118th Congress in January, I'm picturing Schumer, Murray, Warren, Durbin, Warner and rest of the leadership.  And they get to Judiciary and basically say, "We're not getting anybody through after Summer of 2024.  So that gives us just 18 months to get this massive slate of federal bench appointments through for Biden and the Party.  We can't afford to have a single committee member miss a single vote.  You guys thinking what I'm thinking?  (looks around room) So it's settled, 89 year Feinstein.  I'd go to her office to congratulate her but she's in the hospital again.  This is a great idea!"  

• Haha 1

Oh, Mitch gets off his deathbed to wrangle up every single R vote and court 1-2 democrats to get a buncha shit passed while Diane is on her "I won't tolerate ageism or misogyny" tour?  Oh, nobody certainly saw this coming.  

I’m not sure what’s holding up the inevitable. Well done good and faithful servant.

The second sentence answers the first.

For the Democrats, it's not about results, it's about process. It's improper to pressure your friends into leaving before they are ready. So Ginsburg gets to slay-queen her macrame cravat a little longer while women lose reproductive rights and Feinstein gets to wander into a mudslide as that gets even worse and Biden gets to be president and everything collapses around them because it is rude to suggest anything else within their halls of power.

Meanwhile, Mitch can actively being eaten by sharks and the only thing that matters in his mind and the minds of his fellows is making sure they destroy whatever is left of the natural environment like his constituents want.

The desire to exercise given power to achieve the desired results (Republicans) vs. the desire to hold power as a reward for being Good (Democrats).

Also, having an actual agenda vs. not having an actual agenda.

• Rage+1 1

Dress it up however you want, she's fucking over your party.  If it's her staffers behind it, then as stated above, have the DNC or Biden's Deputy Chief of Staff get them in a room together, and tell them they will never work in politics/media/fundraising/government for the rest of their lives and every big donor will blacklist them from the private sector for the rest of their days.  I appreciate y'all think your party is above this kinda shit, but I've been threatened by Democrats before-there's a time to get into the mud for things you believe in...and this is one of those times.  Fuck her.  If it were just the razor thin majority with Machin/Sinema, that'd be one thing.  It is was just judiciary, that'd be one thing.  But it's both of those plus she's just a rallying point for Republicans right now.  They're fucking fundraising off this shit for fuck's sake.  But yeah, must be nice to be the classier party.  JFC.  Nobody is bigger than the Senate.  She's fucking over women for a generation because what?  Because she's an older female that needs kid glove treatment?  I got two young daughters I don't want growing up in this shit.  Take her out back and put her out of her fucking misery.  Fuck decorum.  

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Dress it up however you want, she's fucking over your party.  If it's her staffers behind it, then as stated above, have the DNC or Biden's Deputy Chief of Staff get them in a room together, and tell them they will never work in politics/media/fundraising/government for the rest of their lives and every big donor will blacklist them from the private sector for the rest of their days.  I appreciate y'all think your party is above this kinda shit, but I've been threatened by Democrats before-there's a time to get into the mud for things you believe in...and this is one of those times.  Fuck her.  If it were just the razor thin majority with Machin/Sinema, that'd be one thing.  It is was just judiciary, that'd be one thing.  But it's both of those plus she's just a rallying point for Republicans right now.  They're fucking fundraising off this shit for fuck's sake.  But yeah, must be nice to be the classier party.  JFC.  Nobody is bigger than the Senate.  She's fucking over women for a generation because what?  Because she's an older female that needs kid glove treatment?  I got two young daughters I don't want growing up in this shit.  Take her out back and put her out of her fucking misery.  Fuck decorum.  

Hes Right GIF by MOODMAN

this girl power shit really screwed the women in the long run with losing Supreme Court seat and now this shit 

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Meanwhile, Mitch can actively being eaten by sharks and the only thing that matters in his mind and the minds of his fellows is making sure they destroy whatever is left of the natural environment like his constituents want.

If you're a Republican who has served the party faithfully for years, but you have an illness that keeps your ass from voting, and the Democrats can use it to do their thing, the rest of the GOP is going to drag your ass behind the born and go Old Yeller on you.  Democrats really need to stop pretending like the Republicans will ever be anything other than what they are.

• Hook 'Em 3

Okay, I got the proper analogy/metaphor.  Neg rep me all you want if you don't like it, won't change the truth.

Diane Feinstein is now the least respected Senator by both parties in the U.S. Senate, which last I checked-contains Ted Cruz.  

Think about that.  

• Hook 'Em 1

What in the fuck is wrong with Dems that they aren't doing everything (and I mean everything) to rectify this situation.  Cajole, threaten, do whatever it takes but get her senile ass to step down.  Between her and RBG, they've done a lot of damage to the country with this shit.  Women who were formerly admired just ruin their legacies on the way out.

• Hook 'Em 3

43 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Women who were formerly admired just ruin their legacies on the way out.

1234.  RBG and Feinstein were heroes to a lot of women, but both of them fucked around long enough to become villains and fuck women over.

Edited by atomheartbevo

On 4/12/2023 at 4:26 PM, Pancho said:

here we go batman GIF

On 4/12/2023 at 4:30 PM, Pig Bellmont said:

Oh I wasn’t aware you can get better from dementia 

On 4/12/2023 at 4:31 PM, Red Five said:

To "get well"? She's 89. I'm sure in a week or two she'll come in doing back flips. 

i know i'm weeks late to this exchange, but still, nancy was not wrong for the first half of her statement. as usual, she messes it up in the end, but what she should have done is start naming names of senile republicans who have missed many votes. show some fucking receipts if you are going on the balcony.

• Hook 'Em 1

I would say that in general, if you're about to turn 90 and haven't been capable of working for months, it's probably time to call it quits. Particularly if your absence is seriously fucking people over. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Satchel said:

I don’t think there is a magic age where one is automatIcally rendered useless. Cognitive decline can occur very early or very late  in the life cycle. Medical proof of decline should be test. 

Providing proof of mental acuity is a little too close to Jim Crow laws for me.

We have minimum ages for driving, voting, using tobacco, and drinking and we all know people mature at different rates.

We also have mandatory retirement ages in our military.

Why not have arbitrary maximum ages for running for office or voting.

• Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Providing proof of mental acuity is a little too close to Jim Crow laws for me.

We have minimum ages for driving, voting, using tobacco, and drinking and we all know people mature at different rates.

We also have mandatory retirement ages in our military.

Why not have arbitrary maximum ages for running for office or voting.

There are 82 year olds who should not be allowed to drive. I wouldn’t count Dr. Fauci or Bernie Sanders in that number.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

I don’t think there is a magic age where one is automatIcally rendered useless. Cognitive decline can occur very early or very late  in the life cycle. Medical proof of decline should be test. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

• Gil Bang changed the title to Sen. Feinstein dies at age 90