Charley Pride has died

4th&Five

Al has a grade school friend that loves telling the story of his neighbors back when Manchaca was way out in the country, we’re talking about the 70’s here. 
Seems these folks were really amped up to see Charley at the Austin Stock show and loaded up the pickup (the whole family mind you) and headed down to the Coliseum by Town Lake to take in the night’s entertainment.  Wasn’t long later that they were back and astonished that Charley was black, more than likely they didn’t use the word ‘black’, and they explained that they ‘wern’t staying around’ to listen to a black guy sing. A real life Gabby Johnson moment if there ever was one. Not sure if they were also looking for a refund but I’ll assume they probably were.   Still can’t fathom being so racist that you’d deny yourself getting to see a legend perform. 
Than man could sing, RIP Charley. 

I posted on the other thread, but I'll relate this.  We were in Hawaii the summer Dallas had its horrible heat wave with temps ~114 making national news, 1980.

He got in an elevator at the hotel with my Mom, who loved him, and she gushed "Charley Pride!" and they had a brief conversation, during which he learned we were from Dallas.

We saw him a couple of other times and he'd holler out "Hello Dallas!"

/csb

RIP.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Al has a grade school friend that loves telling the story of his neighbors back when Manchaca was way out in the country, we’re talking about the 70’s here. 
Seems these folks were really amped up to see Charley at the Austin Stock show and loaded up the pickup (the whole family mind you) and headed down to the Coliseum by Town Lake to take in the night’s entertainment.  Wasn’t long later that they were back and astonished that Charley was black, more than likely they didn’t use the word ‘black’, and they explained that they ‘wern’t staying around’ to listen to a black guy sing. A real life Gabby Johnson moment if there ever was one. Not sure if they were also looking for a refund but I’ll assume they probably were.   Still can’t fathom being so racist that you’d deny yourself getting to see a legend perform. 
Than man could sing, RIP Charley. 

This was apparently common. A ton of rednecks didn’t know he was black.

Houston/SE Tex country music fans loved him. He still holds the record for most performances at the HLSR with 33. At UT I had several friends from Dallas Jesuit who went to school with his son, Dion. They would bring him to our frat parties in the early 80’s. Nice guy.

I'm gonna just put this one here, because to me, it's the perfect three verse country song, sung perfectly.

A friend of mine here in Dallas used to sell him a few brand new Ford trucks every so often.  He'd take one, and then distribute the rest to whoever he deemed had a need.  

Then another friend (older fella) used to flip houses.  He was moving into one and saw a fellow across the street mowing the lawn, who he promptly hired to mow his.  The fellow took his big straw hat off...and you guessed it:  It was Charley Pride.  

And I'm just tossing this here because it's a great paying tribute to a great. 

Edited by Chad Fuck
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1