Formula 1 2021

wood

1 minute ago, NoName said:

As a new fan, has it been this boring the last few years with a guy in a car that's this much better than everyone else's plus is one of the best ever?

20 to 5? Then 10 to 1?

Its been like this for basically forever. Certainly this decade when i started watching and Vettel-RB was dominating. 

only spicy battle was between teammates 

• Hook 'Em 1

Would love to have seen a little more direct, wheel to wheel btw Lewis and Max, but ah well.

That brand new Merc engine just had no match on the grid.  There was nothing Max was ever going to be able to do, to keep Lewis behind him.  Except maybe crash him out...

Makes me wonder, if RBR had a brand new engine they could have put into Max's car, and they both had to race up through the field on equal footing, would that have been a better strategy?  Sort of a new-engine undercut? :)

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Glad to see Max has his new fans to cheer him on.

Not even a max fan it just popped up when I searched 

Either way no reason to shit on me for being a new fan. He is a absolutely a little bitch at times but come on, Lewis is too.

In general the hate for him isn't something I understand, especially when people don't use the same meassuring stick for Lewis.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

Either way no reason to shit on me for being a new fan. He is a absolutely a little bitch at times but come on, Lewis is too.

In general the hate for him isn't something I understand, especially when people don't use the same meassuring stick for Lewis.

Yeah it is pretty funny watching the Lewis fanbois get bent out of shape when Max acts... exactly like Lewis often does. :)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Sorry, I didn’t mean to denigrate you for being a new fan but most of the new fans I see are Max fans and he has been an unlikeable character to me since he came into the sport. It doesn’t help that he has Horner and Mateschitz backing him at every turn. This is not a Lewis v. Max thing for me, Lewis is just as frustrating as anyone out there.
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Would love to have seen a little more direct, wheel to wheel btw Lewis and Max, but ah well.

That brand new Merc engine just had no match on the grid.  There was nothing Max was ever going to be able to do, to keep Lewis behind him.  Except maybe crash him out...

Makes me wonder, if RBR had a brand new engine they could have put into Max's car, and they both had to race up through the field on equal footing, would that have been a better strategy?  Sort of a new-engine undercut? :)

Didn't max get a new power unit like 3 races ago?

11 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

A lot of people are Max and RBR fans simply for the fact that they are happy to finally see some competition for Hamilton and Mercedes. 

All of this. Juan Montoya brought me into F1. He was brash, impatient, usually disregarded team orders, and was often reckless...but he was about the only guy who had the "I'm going to beat Schumacher or crash trying [and he usually did]" attitude. Everyone else just seemed to accept their roles as also-rans.

Max has a lot of Montoya in him, but a hell of a lot more talented.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

So the championship will possibly/probably be decided by the Silverstone retirement by Max.

Yep. And Aston Martin not finding 0.2L of fuel, DQ-ing Inspector Seb and promoting Lewis to 2nd.

Mercedes seem to have solved/found something. Lewis was in an “F0.5” car this weekend, while everyone else was F1 and F1.5. Very impressive. Max said post-race RB have no further upgrades, so it may be checkmate. Though Toto said the same earlier this year, so…

Ferrari have also made good gains with their engine. Solidifying 3rd in the WCC. 

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Sorry, I didn’t mean to denigrate you for being a new fan but most of the new fans I see are Max fans and he has been an unlikeable character to me since he came into the sport. It doesn’t help that he has Horner and Mateschitz backing him at every turn. This is not a Lewis v. Max thing for me, Lewis is just as frustrating as anyone out there.

I apologize too. I totally see how max is unlikable!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Sure, fair enough. I just wish the challenge was coming from Checo, Ferrari, or McLaren.

Amen, brutha!

3 hours ago, pops said:

Didn't max get a new power unit like 3 races ago?

Yeah sounds about right.  I was thinking of it more as a strategy, not as a mechanical necessity.  If he takes a brand new power unit at the same time as Lewis, and is more competitive with Lewis in this race, and going forward, it might be worth it?

Or maybe Merc power is just that much greater and it wouldn't matter at all.

Edited by utee94

If you are Mercedes, why not just run a new ICE in the final three races? With that thing cranked to “115% party mode,” Lewis can make up the five-place penalty by lap three. Blew by Sainz before DRS was enabled, and he pulled a near 11s gap after clearing Max in 13-odd laps.

Whatever they found, they found it at the right time. 

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

If you are Mercedes, why not just run a new ICE in the final three races? With that thing cranked to “115% party mode,” Lewis can make up the five-place penalty by lap three. Blew by Sainz before DRS was enabled, and he pulled a near 11s gap after clearing Max in 13-odd laps.

Whatever they found, they found it at the right time. 

I wonder if they've been catfishing everyone. They've said since Silverstone that they had nothing left and everything was going into the 2022 engine. Then they grab a new one this week and it was like they had a cheat code. That pass on 59 had to have sucked the wind out of rbr because this is 2018 level shit. 

25 minutes ago, pops said:

I wonder if they've been catfishing everyone. They've said since Silverstone that they had nothing left and everything was going into the 2022 engine. Then they grab a new one this week and it was like they had a cheat code. That pass on 59 had to have sucked the wind out of rbr because this is 2018 level shit. 

Yeah, Horner look pretty defeated during the post-race interview, almost as if he knew it’s checkmate. 

Anyone know how engine upgrades work during the season?  You've got manufacturers like Ferrari and Mercedes who supply engines to other teams, but they also have their own teams.  Obviously Mercedes and Ferrari have recently had big engine upgrades that don't appear to have been shared with the teams that buy engines from them.  How does that work?  Because if those teams don't get the upgrades, they're never going to be on a level playing field with the manufacturers.  Is that just a fuck you if you're not a manufacturer, or is there more to it?

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
4 hours ago, Dutch said:
Yeah, Horner look pretty defeated during the post-race interview, almost as if he knew it’s checkmate. 

Horner is easy to dislike, for sure.

I loathe the guy.  He's the primary reason I dislike RBR so much.  

But, his personality makes for good rivalry in the sport.  And also some high drama, on DtS.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
10 hours ago, Dutch said:

Horner is easy to dislike, for sure.

in reality, Horner / Max and Toto / Lewis aren't that different at all.

stuff like this is one of the most cringeworthy things anyone has ever said about F1

if Horner said anything close to that, he would be blasted for months on end, for good reason.

that is terrible. especially when the sporting regs around this were incredibly black and white. also, you know, the race stuff != violating sporting rules.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wood said:

Agree , but I don't think it's down to just a new engine.

Well, there's also whatever new cheating thing they're up to, that hasn't been discovered yet.  The floppy rear wing was probably just a diversion to draw attention away from the ACTUAL cheat. 

;)

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, RPM said:

What is the point of limiting the number of engines if you just let Merc use as many as they want with minimal penalty? There's no deterrent. Pisses me off.

Yep, and the penalty getting smaller as they use more engines is backward bullshit, too. The engine limits have never been about what they were supposedly about in the first place - cost-cutting. They're more expensive now than they've ever been and favor the biggest $$$ teams more than they ever have.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, utee94 said:

Well, there's also whatever new cheating thing they're up to, that hasn't been discovered yet.  The floppy rear wing was probably just a diversion to draw attention away from the ACTUAL cheat. 

I wouldn't rule it out, but I dunno if they're actually cheating. But yeah, that would be a typical tactic to cover if they were.