Best X-Files Episode

Celery Man

Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose

It's everything that's great about the series, with an incredible performance from Peter Boyle on top.  Even without Boyle, this post credits scene is great

I wish every murderous asshole would get a chance to have their moment with Clyde Bruckman

I'm thinking through my list of best episodes, and it's heavy on season 3 - D.P.O., Pusher, Clyde Bruckman's From Outer Space.  Possibly because I had that season on VHS.  Squeeze (season 1) and Tooms.  Home (creepy as fuck).  I might go back and rewatch a lot of the monster of the week episodes.

But it's Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Like 1

You got the best episode right off the bat. Season 3 was stellar and I really liked season 4 too, though it had my least favorite episode of the series, Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man.

Also, point of order, Home, an episode in my top 10, was also Season 4.

It's not just the best X-files episode. Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose is one of the best single episodes of television ever produced. Gotdamn Season 3 was fucking stellar.  I remember nobody could go out on Friday nights until after the x-files was over that season.

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:13 PM, LongestHorn said:

Season 3 had 8 Emmy nominations and won 5, including Clyde Bruckman episode for writing and Boyle won for guest actor.  Gillian was nominated for Jose Chung episode, a personal favorite for the Roky Crickenson character ref.

Jose Chung is my favorite.  Not only does it have Alex Trebek and Jesse Ventura as the "men in black" and Charles Nelson Riley,  it has my favorite X-Files quote, "I didn't play Dungeons and Dragons all those years without learning something about courage."

36 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Jose Chung is my favorite.  Not only does it have Alex Trebek and Jesse Ventura as the "men in black" and Charles Nelson Riley,  it has my favorite X-Files quote, "I didn't play Dungeons and Dragons all those years without learning something about courage."

Plus the inaccurate memory scene where Mulder and Scully switch personalities.  And the scene where Mulder eats all the pies.  And the chain smoking alien saying “this is not happening”.  That’s another fantastic episode.  More on the zany side, but greatness.

On 4/27/2018 at 12:12 AM, Sejjr said:

I was always a fan of Tooms. That was a great episode. Or maybe I was just high when I watched it.

It's a classic. Both of them. 

"How do I get this off my hand quickly without betraying my cool exterior?" (Or something like that)

Tooms goes on to marry Courtney Stodden. So not just crazy as an X-Files character.

Every one mentioned, so far, are great. One I always enjoy, while not at that level, is the COPs episode, where there are chasing after a suspected werewolf, with the COPs camera crew following them around. Just a lot of fun. 

4 hours ago, Deej said:

Every one mentioned, so far, are great. One I always enjoy, while not at that level, is the COPs episode, where there are chasing after a suspected werewolf, with the COPs camera crew following them around. Just a lot of fun. 

that one is great.  almost certain that was a vince gilligan episode

• 6 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 5/1/2018 at 10:12 PM, Bill Brasky said:

Whatever the episode was with the town full of carnies 

Humbug.  S2E20.

I liked Pusher, another Gilligan season 3 episode, with the cerulean blue guy that could get people to kill themselves.  Very tense at the end where he and Mulder play Russian roulette.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/26/2018 at 9:23 PM, pops said:

Home. S4E2.  

You know how you remember where you were and what you were doing when you heard about the Challenger explosions? Or when the planes crashed into the World Trade Center? Watching Home had a similar lasting impression.

I remember being in the TV room of the graduate dorm at Berkeley, and there were just moments and moments of WTF. Without doubt the most memorable of all X-Files episodes.

"You don't know the love, the pride!"

There's No Disgrace Like "Home": THE X-FILES Episode Too Horrifying for  Television - Fangoria

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Augustus said:

I didn't watch the whole run, and I'm not sure how many episodes I saw.

But I like the one where the dude was able to squeeze himself through any opening no matter how small.

That seemed like a hell of super power to have.  

Squeeze and Tooms - both in season 1 I’m pretty sure. I think Squeeze was episode 2 and is a classic. Might have been the pilot.

5 hours ago, Superhero said:

Another gem from season 4 was Small Potatoes. That's the episode where the janitor could shape shift and seduce women. He nearly got Scully in the end until the real Mulder showed up.

Is this the one with the babies being born with tails?  Vince Gilligan ep if it is, I’m pretty sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, WBT said:

Humbug.  S2E20.

I liked Pusher, another Gilligan season 3 episode, with the cerulean blue guy that could get people to kill themselves.  Very tense at the end where he and Mulder play Russian roulette.

It's not a word that I encounter very often, but whenever I have the opportunity (like when someone else says it, or when it's the right shade of blue for whatever we're talking about, not just at random or unprovoked...), I will almost always whisper "cerulean" and then people almost always look at me like I'm crazy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

It's not a word that I encounter very often, but whenever I have the opportunity (like when someone else says it, or when it's the right shade of blue for whatever we're talking about, not just at random or unprovoked...), I will almost always whisper "cerulean" and then people almost always look at me like I'm crazy. 

It’s like a gentle breeze.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/24/2018 at 9:46 PM, Celery Man said:

Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose

It's everything that's great about the series, with an incredible performance from Peter Boyle on top.  Even without Boyle, this post credits scene is great

I wish every murderous asshole would get a chance to have their moment with Clyde Bruckman

I'm thinking through my list of best episodes, and it's heavy on season 3 - D.P.O., Pusher, Clyde Bruckman's From Outer Space.  Possibly because I had that season on VHS.  Squeeze (season 1) and Tooms.  Home (creepy as fuck).  I might go back and rewatch a lot of the monster of the week episodes.

But it's Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose.

On 5/1/2018 at 8:56 PM, Celery Man said:

D.P.O., season 3.  Also features Jack Black.

I can’t remember the song, but they had to re-record the ending song because the guy wouldn’t give the rights when he saw the episode (to “Home”).  Just looked it up - Johnny Mathis, Wonderful Wonderful.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_(The_X-Files)

14 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Saw this thread and was rushing in to say Clyde Bruckman

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

The season 3 episode where Giovanni Ribisi is an arcade playing small town punk who controls lightning and loves his teacher is also great. Title is his initials, I can’t remember what it is.

oh and jack black was in that one

So how’s your memory these days?

• Haha 1

On 4/26/2018 at 1:16 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man.

I'm on board with this. I couldn't recall the name of the episode, but the Cigarette Smoking Man was my favorite character in the show. I've based my life on his teachings.

Edited by Saint Tacky
  • Hook 'Em 2