Brian Kelly or Bust

RGBIII

Irish remember Declan Sullivan at game

Oct 30, 2010
  • Associated Press

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly said Saturday it was his decision to hold practice outdoors on a windy day when a student videographer died after the lift he was in fell over.

Kelly said that he decided the Irish could have a productive and safe practice on their outdoor practice fields last Wednesday, despite the wind. The National Weather Service said the breeze was gusting up to 51 mph at the time the tower that 20-year Declan Sullivan was in toppled to the ground.

Notre Dame had systems in place that deal with safety issues at practice but those systems failed and are being evaluated, Kelly said. Conditions including the heat index, lightning in the area and -- obviously -- wind, play into the decision whether to hold practice outside, he said.

"You have to be able to look at the weather conditions and find out whether you believe it's going to be a productive day, first. We believed it to be productive, it was productive, obviously up until the tragedy," Kelly said, speaking to reporters after Notre Dame's 28-27 loss to Tulsa.

"Practice must be safe," he added.

A moment of silence was observed and a prayer offered before Saturday's game for Sullivan. Both teams wore shamrock decals with the letters DS on them.

Later Saturday, Declan's parents, Alison and Barry Sullivan, released a statement through Notre Dame saying they were grateful "for the consideration shown to us by the Notre Dame administration and everyone associated with the university" in the wake of their son's death. The school held a memorial Mass for Declan on Thursday night.

"Declan loved Notre Dame. He felt privileged to have a role with the football program videotaping games and practices. The grief we feel is tempered by the knowledge that Dec was doing what he loved in the place he most wanted to be," his parents' statement said.

"Declan's life was cut short after just 20 years, but he leaves this world a better place for having been here. We hope that all that knew him join us in celebrating our son's life and remembering the joy he brought to so many."

Kelly said when the tower went down, he told his assistants to take care of the team and he went to the area where it landed.

"I gathered the coaches quickly, two of them, and said, 'Keep practicing.' At that point we had players that were starting to migrate towards the accident scene. I thought it was important for me to keep our guys away from that accident scene," Kelly said.

"I got to the accident scene and saw that our training staff were with Declan, and I wanted to make certain that that area was in good hands. It looked like to me everything was moving in the right direction. We had Notre Dame responders, we had ambulance responders. And once I felt comfortable in that situation, where we had professionals on site dealing with it, I went back inside to the practice field and subsequently called our football team together at midfield. We prayed for Declan. I told and informed our football team of the injury, the seriousness of it, and I then dismissed our football team."

Kelly said he didn't have answers as to why someone didn't tell Sullivan to get off the tower, or who was responsible for monitoring the changing conditions.

"Those are all the things that we're examining right now. We could probably come up with a number of different things that we're all wondering. Those are the questions that are being asked exactly as you've asked them," he said.

He also was asked if there is a maximum wind speed prescribed for using the scissor lifts.

"Again, if I had the knowledge specifically of wind speed and heights of lifts, all of those, I certainly would provide those to you. I just don't have that information," he said.

Kelly said dealing with Sullivan's death was especially difficult because he had gotten to know the student personally as a result of spending so much time in the film and video offices. He said he met with the prospective filmmaker's family before Thursday's Mass.

"As a father of three I can only imagine the sorrow that accompanies the loss of your son," Kelly said.

The coach said that "in terms of the tragedy that occurred, there's never been a more difficult time in my life."

Just now, bschoolprof said:

Yes - it turned out poorly - that's the risk you run.  Now, the sentiment seems to be go for the mediocre sure thing.  Meh.  

Kelly isn't mediocre. 

10-3 (11th)

12-1 (5th)

11-2 (12th)

10-1 (currently 4th) 

If that's mediocre please show me coaches that aren't mediocre. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

I'll take whatever, Herman pissed a lot of people off, Urban looked under the hood,  probably didn't like the "Eyes", how its been handled and how much more needs to be addressed. Ask one more time and move on, if that means BK, hell yeah.  

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Kelly isn't mediocre. 

10-3 (11th)

12-1 (5th)

11-2 (12th)

10-1 (currently 4th) 

If Herman did that in his four years, there would be folks wanting to give him a lifetime contract.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Absolutely no, he wouldn’t be. Brian Kelly couldn’t hold the jock strap for a properly motivated Mack Brown. Kelly isn’t coming here, anyway, and neither is Urban. I’m sick of all this stupid rumor mongering started by nerds like that fuckhead Jesus Shuttlesworth. Anyone who says “The University of by God Texas” should be kicked in the nuts.

Any fanbase this large will have its share of idiots, but the Mackenzie Kellys of us are the loudest and most social media savvy these days. It’s fucking embarrassing.  Fuck you, fuck this thread, fuck FitLump, fuck everybody. 

You seem fun

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Kelly isn't mediocre. 

10-3 (11th)

12-1 (5th)

11-2 (12th)

10-1 (currently 4th) 

ok - maybe mediocre is too strong.  Solid, but not great.  He consistently has overrated teams with high rankings (because ND) and padded records (by beating nobodies), that gets depantsed in big games.  And it's not like he's working with dogshit talent.  ND has been top 10 in avg star rating the past decade and Kelly has about a 40% winning percentage against top 25 teams.  Meh.  He's an upgrade over Herman (obviously), but we ain't winning any titles with this dude.  His offense is also a poor fit for the big 12.  

33 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Irish remember Declan Sullivan at game

Oct 30, 2010
  • Associated Press

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly said Saturday it was his decision to hold practice outdoors on a windy day when a student videographer died after the lift he was in fell over.

Kelly said that he decided the Irish could have a productive and safe practice on their outdoor practice fields last Wednesday, despite the wind. The National Weather Service said the breeze was gusting up to 51 mph at the time the tower that 20-year Declan Sullivan was in toppled to the ground.

Notre Dame had systems in place that deal with safety issues at practice but those systems failed and are being evaluated, Kelly said. Conditions including the heat index, lightning in the area and -- obviously -- wind, play into the decision whether to hold practice outside, he said.

"You have to be able to look at the weather conditions and find out whether you believe it's going to be a productive day, first. We believed it to be productive, it was productive, obviously up until the tragedy," Kelly said, speaking to reporters after Notre Dame's 28-27 loss to Tulsa.

"Practice must be safe," he added.

A moment of silence was observed and a prayer offered before Saturday's game for Sullivan. Both teams wore shamrock decals with the letters DS on them.

Later Saturday, Declan's parents, Alison and Barry Sullivan, released a statement through Notre Dame saying they were grateful "for the consideration shown to us by the Notre Dame administration and everyone associated with the university" in the wake of their son's death. The school held a memorial Mass for Declan on Thursday night.

"Declan loved Notre Dame. He felt privileged to have a role with the football program videotaping games and practices. The grief we feel is tempered by the knowledge that Dec was doing what he loved in the place he most wanted to be," his parents' statement said.

"Declan's life was cut short after just 20 years, but he leaves this world a better place for having been here. We hope that all that knew him join us in celebrating our son's life and remembering the joy he brought to so many."

Kelly said when the tower went down, he told his assistants to take care of the team and he went to the area where it landed.

"I gathered the coaches quickly, two of them, and said, 'Keep practicing.' At that point we had players that were starting to migrate towards the accident scene. I thought it was important for me to keep our guys away from that accident scene," Kelly said.

"I got to the accident scene and saw that our training staff were with Declan, and I wanted to make certain that that area was in good hands. It looked like to me everything was moving in the right direction. We had Notre Dame responders, we had ambulance responders. And once I felt comfortable in that situation, where we had professionals on site dealing with it, I went back inside to the practice field and subsequently called our football team together at midfield. We prayed for Declan. I told and informed our football team of the injury, the seriousness of it, and I then dismissed our football team."

Kelly said he didn't have answers as to why someone didn't tell Sullivan to get off the tower, or who was responsible for monitoring the changing conditions.

"Those are all the things that we're examining right now. We could probably come up with a number of different things that we're all wondering. Those are the questions that are being asked exactly as you've asked them," he said.

He also was asked if there is a maximum wind speed prescribed for using the scissor lifts.

"Again, if I had the knowledge specifically of wind speed and heights of lifts, all of those, I certainly would provide those to you. I just don't have that information," he said.

Kelly said dealing with Sullivan's death was especially difficult because he had gotten to know the student personally as a result of spending so much time in the film and video offices. He said he met with the prospective filmmaker's family before Thursday's Mass.

"As a father of three I can only imagine the sorrow that accompanies the loss of your son," Kelly said.

The coach said that "in terms of the tragedy that occurred, there's never been a more difficult time in my life."

Yeah. Okay. It was obviously a tragic, preventable accident. I don't think the blame lands wholly at Kelly's feet and I'm sure he still feels terrible about it. 

Shit happens. People die. He wasn't driving drunk or directly, recklessly endangering someone's safety or overworking kids into heat stroke. 

If that's his worst character concern then I'm fine with it. A poor decision was made and a kid died and he has to live with that forever. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah. Okay. It was obviously a tragic, preventable accident. I don't think the blame lands wholly at Kelly's feet and I'm sure he still feels terrible about it. 

Shit happens. People die. He wasn't driving drunk or directly, recklessly endangering someone's safety or overworking kids into heat stroke. 

If that's his worst character concern then I'm fine with it. A poor decision was made and a kid died and he has to live with that forever. 

You should do a screenshot of this ^^^ and take a look at it in 10 years.  You're not going to feel very good about it.

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Did Kelly force the kid on to the scissor lift at gunpoint? 

Yeah that's part of it too. At what point is the kid supposed to advocate for his own safety? Did he ask to get down and was told to stay up there? Or express that he didn't want to be up there in the first place? 

Also - who really gives a fuck? I'd wonder if that incident even gets brought up in interviews/discussions.

Edited by ztejas

2 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Wouldn’t Kelly be a better fit at Oklahoma, where the winds go whipping down the plains? Tower wise.

You think overtaking Rockne for most wins is tough, think of how many kids he'd have to kill at OU to even come close to Switzer's level of infamy.

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

ok - maybe mediocre is too strong.  Solid, but not great.  He consistently has overrated teams with high rankings (because ND) and padded records (by beating nobodies), that gets depantsed in big games.  And it's not like he's working with dogshit talent.  ND has been top 10 in avg star rating the past decade and Kelly has about a 40% winning percentage against top 25 teams.  Meh.  He's an upgrade over Herman (obviously), but we ain't winning any titles with this dude.  His offense is also a poor fit for the big 12.  

Got any names?

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Absolutely no, he wouldn’t be. Brian Kelly couldn’t hold the jock strap for a properly motivated Mack Brown. Kelly isn’t coming here, anyway, and neither is Urban. I’m sick of all this stupid rumor mongering started by nerds like that fuckhead Jesus Shuttlesworth. Anyone who says “The University of by God Texas” should be kicked in the nuts.

Any fanbase this large will have its share of idiots, but the Mackenzie Kellys of us are the loudest and most social media savvy these days. It’s fucking embarrassing.  Fuck you, fuck this thread, fuck FitLump, fuck everybody. 

but most of all fuck our mayor dildo.  the loudest dildo of them all.

back to the topic vs. politics shit.   Mack Brown is a known quitter and that's all on him.

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

You're a manic lunatic.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Yeah that's part of it too. At what point is the kid supposed to advocate for his own safety? Did he ask to get down and was told to stay up there? Or express that he didn't want to be up there in the first place? 

Also - who really gives a fuck? I'd wonder if that incident even gets brought up in interviews/discussions.

Got you pretty excited, doesn't it?

6 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Got you pretty excited, doesn't it?

Learn to type in English. Or even formulate a cogent thought. I'm still waiting for you to communicate whatever shitty point it is you're trying to make. Maybe then I'll give a fuck about anything you post here. Probably not, though. 

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Kelly isn't mediocre. 

10-3 (11th)

12-1 (5th)

11-2 (12th)

10-1 (currently 4th) 

Guys, open your brains for just a second.  These are results with supposedly "academic limitations", and of course the athletes have to live in Indiana, as compared to our beloved Texas.  If this is his coaching resume  having to recruit the way he must recruit, then I have to imagine that his results at Texas would actually be better, because of the quality of the athletes he would get to recruit from Texas.  The garden variety 4 star football recruit growing up in Texas still wants to give the flagship university a chance.  We just need a coach who will make the athlete feel like he will get a good chance of improving his skills to prepare for the pros, and compete for a national championship.  

All of that stuff is easier here for the head coach than at Notre Dame, if the "academic limitations" thing is correct.  

Btw, those seven losses in four years. Hell, count it eight.   Pick any four years of Mack in a row.  Better or worse?  How much?  Now, do it again for DKR.  Any four years in a row.  Better or worse?  How much?  Do it again for Akers.  Just exactly what is our standard?  Remember, right now we're Tennessee, four losses in a year for 10 years in a row! 

Yes, I would make Urban say no to 7 years/84 million first.  

Next, I would go to Kelly or someone else of his proficiency level.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1