Brian Kelly or Bust

RGBIII

5 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Yeah. 

Brian Kelly is going to leave Notre Dame for Texas.

OK.

after the sarcastic ok a follow up sentence of why you don't believe it will happen would help the overall flow of the message board. If you just like saying good shit can't or won't happen to Texas then why the fuck keep coming to this board everday? haha 

• Hook 'Em 3

38 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

after the sarcastic ok a follow up sentence of why you don't believe it will happen would help the overall flow of the message board. If you just like saying good shit can't or won't happen to Texas then why the fuck keep coming to this board everday? haha 

It's his MO. Here he stands and he can do no other. It'd be like asking Futureman to be serious, or to not fist himself.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, BradInATX said:

What he would be inheriting is a better and more coherent program than he took over at ND. Notre Dame had won 3, 6 and 5 games in the seasons prior. It was basically a full rebuild. Texas is not a rebuild, it's a "sign here, put a burnt orange hat on and don't be a moron with the emotional intelligence of a teenager and you can win 10 and play in the CCG basically every year as a floor" situation.

So,  if Kelly knows how to bake a cake we're ok?

7 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

It's funny because not even two years ago we were moaning that UT got the best limb of the Urban coaching tree when you won the Sugar Bowl shortly after we got stomped in the Cotton.

We're reluctant to part with him, but we might be willing to do a trade.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

ND is a job like Texas. Yes there are inherent recruiting advantages here and disadvantages there. You don’t leave ND for Texas or anywhere. They are one of a handful of schools we cannot outbid, but that is beside the fucking point. He’s not coming because he’s got his dream job. And no, more money is not always the deciding factor. It’s the same reason we couldn’t get Patterson and possibly Campbell. 

Seems to be some fairly inconsistent information on the money side of this thing. Can ND spend what UT can spend or not?  Several know-it-all posters in this thread seem to think they can and several seem to think they can't.  The money is all that matters here because...no, you don't leave Notre fucking Dame for Texas, unless the money is substantially better.  In which case, I disagree with the rest of your post.  Money is not always the deciding factor because of dream job and blah blah blah.  But it is often the deciding factor.

22 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Can ND spend what UT can spend or not? 

They most certainly can but they choose not to. Texas can always offer more in absolute terms but ND is more than capable of offering enough money to take it out of the equation.

The academic restrictions for recruits is an entirely different matter. I want to say that Kelly got them to loosen them up prior to taking the job but doesn't sound like it was enough.

Edited by The Dog
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, The Dog said:

They most certainly can but they choose not to. Texas can always offer more in absolute terms but ND is more than capable of offering enough money to take it out of the equation.

The academic restrictions for recruits is an entirely different matter. I want to say that Kelly got them to loosen them up prior to taking the job but doesn't sound like it was enough.

I don't think the academic restrictions are enough to tilt this thing UT's way.  Just my opinion, but there are enough built in upsides at ND to offset that.

28 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Seems to be some fairly inconsistent information on the money side of this thing. Can ND spend what UT can spend or not?  Several know-it-all posters in this thread seem to think they can and several seem to think they can't.  The money is all that matters here because...no, you don't leave Notre fucking Dame for Texas, unless the money is substantially better.  In which case, I disagree with the rest of your post.  Money is not always the deciding factor because of dream job and blah blah blah.  But it is often the deciding factor.

"Texas can't outbid programs or compete with bigger prestige or better programs in recent history" 

Oregon - CDC hires Mike White, who went to 5 WCWS in a span of 7 years, equaling what Texas has done in its entire history.   

Miss St - CDC hires Vic Schaefer, who was making $1.6 million at MSU (3rd or 4th highest salary in the country) and went to 2 Final Fours and 3 Elite Eights in 8 seasons (and potentially again if COVID didn't cancel the 2020 tournament), surpassing Texas' Final Four appearances this millennium (1) and probably would have equaled our Final Four appearances in our entire program if the 2020 tournament has been played (3) 

CDC has already proven he can pull coaches with really high salaries or from winning/better programs. 

• Hook 'Em 2

This BK "activity" is interesting.  To be clear, I think it is a very long shot he would leave ND.

but if it is true and if his agent actually said we will listen and it is beyond the "give me a number so I can take it back to ND stage" this is what makes me so fucking rage-y about the Strong and Herman hires.  There were any number of P5 guys we could have gotten either time that would have done a better job than these 2 bozos yet our admin, hired a moron for an AD, worked on agendas and let boosters get out of control instead of trying to hire the best college football coach money can buy.  It is so fucking infuriating.

I get that following an NC winning coach and the shitshow Mack put on wasn't a good scenario for a lot of coaches but gotdam we are a bunch fucking nimrods when it comes to hiring football coaches.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

They can match Brian Kelly's salary no question...they absolutely CANNOT match what we can in compensation for his staff. He is hemorrhaging staff at a crazy rate, even for a guy like Elko who took an at best lateral move for more money. He just lost Lea to Vandy as well. They cant retain staff because they don't pay staff.

People that are saying he has no reason to leave are not looking closely, they see that he's in the playoff and think he will always be content with that. He is going to get his fucking wheels blown off on Friday because he is unable to get the best recruits because of  the academic restrictions and other restrictive religious issues as well. He also isn't able to get or keep the best staff to train these "lesser" recruits (Lesser than the SEC type that is, they are still great) so at this point he has hit his glass ceiling. If anyone thinks that he can honestly win a national championship at Notre Dame you are a fool and if you think that BK is content with this being his PEAK you are an even bigger fool. Dude wants to win it all, we know he cant do that at ND, he knows he cant do that at ND. He knows Texas removes all of those current restrictions and raises his upside from first round of the playoff fodder at best to an actual championship ceiling.

Would you want to have a ceiling of being upper management that loses middle managers year over year and can't afford to keep them and/or hire better one's, plus be extremely restricted in who you can hire or would you rather jump to somewhere that gives you the opportunity to be a C level executive that can bring in the best employees and keep your upper management? Oh and that C Level job is going to pay you more money than Davy Crockett. Do I think it actually happens, probably not because I am not allowed to enjoy good things and we have a history of bumble fucking things at this level. But if you are saying that he has absolutely no reason to come here you aren't looking at the big picture and I can assure you, Texas is and more importantly BK is too.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Jimbo was on his way out.  Kelly is in the playoff.

1 minute ago, KYHorn said:

Jimbo went 5-6 his last year. 

Yeah, but he wasn't "on his way out" from what I remember.  He'd won them a National Championship.  He wasn't getting fired anytime soon.  My recollection was that FSU was kind of a shit show with money problems and he wanted out, plus aggys AD at the time was one of Jimbo's guys.  And they money whipped the shit out of him to where he couldn't say no.

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

"Texas can't outbid programs or compete with bigger prestige or better programs in recent history" 

Oregon - CDC hires Mike White, who went to 5 WCWS in a span of 7 years, equaling what Texas has done in its entire history.   

Miss St - CDC hires Vic Schaefer, who was making $1.6 million at MSU (3rd or 4th highest salary in the country) and went to 2 Final Fours and 3 Elite Eights in 8 seasons (and potentially again if COVID didn't cancel the 2020 tournament), surpassing Texas' Final Four appearances this millennium (1) and probably would have equaled our Final Four appearances in our entire program if the 2020 tournament has been played (3) 

CDC has already proven he can pull coaches with really high salaries or from winning/better programs. 

Oregon softball

MSU WBB

ND Football

One of these is not like the others.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Kelly is making $5-6m/year after signing his extension in September if you believe the Notre Dame writers. Their OC, Rees, makes about $675k/year. Elko got hired away by A&M on a 3 year deal at $1.8m/year. Lea tried to get the Boston College job prior to getting the Vandy job this year. Notre Dame writers were saying that they really needed to tie him down on a bigger contract before the season. It doesn't seem like they want to pay what the big boys will pay assistants.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

They can match Brian Kelly's salary no question...they absolutely CANNOT match what we can in compensation for his staff. He is hemorrhaging staff at a crazy rate, even for a guy like Elko who took an at best lateral move for more money. He just lost Lea to Vandy as well. They cant retain staff because they don't pay staff.

People that are saying he has no reason to leave are not looking closely, they see that he's in the playoff and think he will always be content with that. He is going to get his fucking wheels blown off on Friday because he is unable to get the best recruits because of  the academic restrictions and other restrictive religious issues as well. He also isn't able to get or keep the best staff to train these "lesser" recruits (Lesser than the SEC type that is, they are still great) so at this point he has hit his glass ceiling. If anyone thinks that he can honestly win a national championship at Notre Dame you are a fool and if you think that BK is content with this being his PEAK you are an even bigger fool. Dude wants to win it all, we know he cant do that at ND, he knows he cant do that at ND. He knows Texas removes all of those current restrictions and raises his upside from first round of the playoff fodder at best to an actual championship ceiling.

Would you want to have a ceiling of being upper management that loses middle managers year over year and can't afford to keep them and/or hire better one's, plus be extremely restricted in who you can hire or would you rather jump to somewhere that gives you the opportunity to be a C level executive that can bring in the best employees and keep your upper management? Oh and that C Level job is going to pay you more money than Davy Crockett. Do I think it actually happens, probably not because I am not allowed to enjoy good things and we have a history of bumble fucking things at this level. But if you are saying that he has absolutely no reason to come here you aren't looking at the big picture and I can assure you, Texas is and more importantly BK is too.

Lots of opinions stated as facts in this post.

2 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Kelly is making $5-6m/year after signing his extension in September if you believe the Notre Dame writers. Their OC, Rees, makes about $675k/year. Elko got hired away by A&M on a 3 year deal at $1.8m/year. Lea tried to get the Boston College job prior to getting the Vandy job this year. Notre Dame writers were saying that they really needed to tie him down on a bigger contract before the season. It doesn't seem like they want to pay what the big boys will pay assistants.

Bingo and between having to replace coordinators damn near yearly plus the restrictions on recruiting it severely handicaps them and limits his ceiling. That plus a fat raise for himself and being able to keep his coordiantors, he would be foolish not to consider it

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah, but he wasn't "on his way out" from what I remember.  He'd won them a National Championship.  He wasn't getting fired anytime soon.  My recollection was that FSU was kind of a shit show with money problems and he wanted out, plus aggys AD at the time was one of Jimbo's guys.  And they money whipped the shit out of him to where he couldn't say no.

fair enough.  they were tired of him and weren't willing to spend the money to keep him.  He was complaining all the time even though they were building some facilities.  FSU foolishly thought they could hire anyone(and at a cheaper) and win 9-10 games in a 12-13 game schedule. sound familiar...  I don't know who FSU's money men are but given they were a teachers college in the 50's I'm guessing they don't have hugely deep pockets.

you'd think after mcwilliams and mackovic we would have learned that lesson.

3 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Can we really count Lea, who left to become the head coach at his alma mater, in that mix?  And how do we know that their assistant salaries aren't being underreported just like their head coach's?

Lots of opinions stated as facts in this post.

...which ones exactly? Those were all facts. You think that getting butt fucked by bama 55-7 is BKs career highlight? Or do you think the guy could possibly want to win the whole thing one day? Have you seen him on the sideline ever? Think that guy is content getting blasted no national tv? In terms of restrictions on recruiting and staff just go google it, i'll wait. There wasn't a single opinion in there my friend, thats why I created the thread in the first place

Just now, Landomatic said:

Can we really count Lea, who left to become the head coach at his alma mater, in that mix?  And how do we know that their assistant salaries aren't being underreported just like their head coach's?

The same writer that said Rees was making about $675k and Taylor $500k said Kelly's total compensation was $5-6m per industry sources. 

• Hook 'Em 1

No. Coordinators leaving for head corch jobs are a natural by-product of having a solid program unless it's like Gene Chizik being encouraged to take the Iowa State job. It's certainly eyebrow-raising when a DC makes a "lateral" move like Elko leaving for aggy, though.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Yeah, starting over with another new DC at ND again, BK might as well take the TEXAS job now...

15 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Is Kelly's wife/ex named Candy?  That might help.

25 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Jimbo was on his way out the same way Mack was on his way out in 2012 but survived until 2013, A&M threw him a life line and gave him and FSU an out but shit was getting fucking ugly with Jimbo and he would have been shown the door in 2018 or 2019 if he didn't pull a 180.

27 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

you'd think after mcwilliams and mackovic we would have learned that lesson.

Strong was highly thought of as a DC and his job as HC at Louisville seemed promising. Writers were surprised that he kept getting passed over by larger programs. They gave reasons for their surprise but none mentioned it might be because of his lack of ability. Herman was an up and comer who worked under a Hall of Fame coach and had recent success as a HC. 

Neither one of those guys were considered a bad hire. So the lesson we learned is that we need to hire someone proven at two separate coaching gigs. The downside of this approach is that you aren’t going to get someone young and you aren’t going to get him cheap. And if you reach for the very top, like Clemson and Bama HCs, you probably aren’t going to get them at all. So our top two choices are Urban followed by Kelly. Nothing wrong with that if it works out.

This doesn’t mean that you can’t hire guys with potential. We and Korn Ferry just don’t know what to look for. First you get recommendations from their previous bosses. Specifically, do they have what it takes to build a major program. Then in interviews, you need to make sure that they have the drive and intelligence to succeed. Ask the hard questions like who you would bring in as your assistants and why would you choose them. Ask them what a typical work day is like for them and confirm it is the truth. Ask them management style and compare it to the style of the most successful coaches. 

That isn’t what we do. We have BMDs search around for the newest, shiniest thing and make an offer and present it to the university and tell it to make the hire or else... I won’t say that it is all bad. A group of billionaires who have been successful sitting together and coming to consensus has potential. I personally don’t think they look for the same qualities in a coach that they look for as employees at their own company. They look for things like accessibility and acceptance from their friends rather than capability and drive and motivation.

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Bingo and between having to replace coordinators damn near yearly plus the restrictions on recruiting it severely handicaps them and limits his ceiling. That plus a fat raise for himself and being able to keep his coordiantors, he would be foolish not to consider it

To get this straight:

1. Kelly is getting a total compensation of at least $5 million, but ND is not paying his assistants market value, and there is a state income tax in Indiana

2. Kelly has a burning desire to win a NC

3. Kelly has a tough time recruiting the top athletes because of academic restrictions.  Can we agree that those three things are 100%?

My assumptions are as follows:

At Texas he would enjoy:

1. total compensation of $12 million, and assistants to be paid at market value. (There is also no state income tax in Texas)

2. no recruiting restrictions in one of the hottest recruiting places in the country

Why would Kelly NOT consider a move to Texas? 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Strong was highly thought of as a DC and his job as HC at Louisville seemed promising. Writers were surprised that he kept getting passed over by larger programs. They gave reasons for their surprise but none mentioned it might be because of his lack of ability. Herman was an up and comer who worked under a Hall of Fame coach and had recent success as a HC. 

Neither one of those guys were considered a bad hire. So the lesson we learned is that we need to hire someone proven at two separate coaching gigs. The downside of this approach is that you aren’t going to get someone young and you aren’t going to get him cheap. And if you reach for the very top, like Clemson and Bama HCs, you probably aren’t going to get them at all. So our top two choices are Urban followed by Kelly. Nothing wrong with that if it works out.

This doesn’t mean that you can’t hire guys with potential. We and Korn Ferry just don’t know what to look for. First you get recommendations from their previous bosses. Specifically, do they have what it takes to build a major program. Then in interviews, you need to make sure that they have the drive and intelligence to succeed. Ask the hard questions like who you would bring in as your assistants and why would you choose them. Ask them what a typical work day is like for them and confirm it is the truth. Ask them management style and compare it to the style of the most successful coaches. 

That isn’t what we do. We have BMDs search around for the newest, shiniest thing and make an offer and present it to the university and tell it to make the hire or else... I won’t say that it is all bad. A group of billionaires who have been successful sitting together and coming to consensus has potential. I personally don’t think they look for the same qualities in a coach that they look for as employees at their own company. They look for things like accessibility and acceptance from their friends rather than capability and drive and motivation.

exactly.  you would have thought we'd learned that lesson after mcwilliams and mackovic.

1 minute ago, orangecat92 said:

To get this straight:

1. Kelly is getting a total compensation of at least $5 million, but ND is not paying his assistants market value, and there is a state income tax in Indiana

3. Kelly has a tough time recruiting the top athletes because of academic restrictions.  Can we agree that those three things are 100%?

At Texas he would enjoy:

1. total compensation of $12 million, and assistants to be paid at market value. (There is also no state income tax in Texas)

2. no recruiting restrictions in one of the hottest recruiting places in the country

Really don't expect Kelly to get a $12mill/yr deal at TEXAS.  Maybe $8-9mill ??

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

hell he'll probably agree to 7, plus incentives.  Texas is in the middle of upgrading facilities, BK will have his say like Urbs would (looking at the bubble). Not sure why he would turn it down when you really think about it.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Can people just shut the fuck up about state taxes already?  These guys make so much money that they itemize their deductions anyway and get a credit for state taxes paid. 

/CPArant

I agree taxes will not be a factor, but the recent SALT cap limits to 10k the state and local (property) taxes that can be written off. There may be other structureS to minimize tax liability, such as an LLC or charitable organization. I hear the name 2-0 LLC is available.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TexasEx said:

I agree taxes will not be a factor, but the recent SALT cap limits to 10k the state and local (property) taxes that can be written off. There may be other structureS to minimize tax liability, such as an LLC or charitable organization. I hear the name 2-0 LLC is available.

Any coach that works with a legitimate agent will have the contract ran through an LLC.

3 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

You may be the first person in the history of Surly who’s asked David Dennison to expound on his position.  

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Jesus dude. How are you this dense on all this? ND does not pay market rate for coaches. There is tons of evidence to support this. Elko’s salary was comically low at ND, which is why Jimbo could poach him. There are articles stating Elko’s salary at ND after he moved. 

Ed Warriner is a damn good OL coach (but a bad OC) who was with ND for two years and then poached by tOSU once Urban got there. There are plenty of examples of Kelly making great hires only to be poached by schools willing to pay top of market. 

There are obvious reasons why Kelly would make the switch. 
1. his own salary 

2. no more assistants being poached

3. Less recruiting restrictions and a much better base of talent. UT is undoubtedly an easier place to acquire elite talent.

4. Kelly’s been at ND 10 years now, and it certainly seems like he’s reached his ceiling there. Sometimes things just get stale and you need a change. He also may be realizing his time to switch is starting to run out since he’ll be 60 by next season. 

I’m not saying he’d for sure come here, but there are absolutely reasons why he might be considering a change. You can be skeptical all you want but stop acting like there’s no basis to support the idea he might be interested, and there’s plenty of evidence to show he’s routinely had staff members poached by other schools. 

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

That would still be a huge raise and his assistant salary pool might triple. 

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

You’re wrong again. Jimbo had been flirting with LSU the year before. Things were worsening in the field and souring with FSU admin and he was absolutely looking to get out before it went south. He was about to go sub .500 that year and was running out of runway quickly. 

• Hook 'Em 8

18 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

To get this straight:

At Texas he would enjoy:

1. Yes 5-6M is likely. I expect us to offer at least 8M plus a MUCH larger budget for assistants. And yes income tax also matters. Our assistants currently make a combined 12M~, could see us offer even more if necessary

2. Without a doubt, its the only thing holding him back from being mentioned in the upper echelon of coaches and would be the cherry on a HOF career

3. Yep, he get 5 exemptions per year. Nowhere near enough to compete with someone like Bama who can drop 200k on Jaylen Waddles doorstep

1. I think its a bit lower than 12M, hes not Urban after all but it will still be significant and I think he would pay assistants over market value

2. Yep that hasnt even been maximized to its fullest potential

I will not understand people saying that he has no reason to leave ND, hell if anything he has no reason to stay barring some miracle Bama win

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You may be the first person in the history of Surly who’s asked David Dennison to expound on his position.  

Jesus dude. How are you this dense on all this? ND does not pay market rate for coaches. There is tons of evidence to support this. Elko’s salary was comically low at ND, which is why Jimbo could poach him. There are articles stating Elko’s salary at ND after he moved. 

Ed Warriner is a damn good OL coach (but a bad OC) who was with ND for two years and then poached by tOSU once Urban got there. There are plenty of examples of Kelly making great hires only to be poached by schools willing to pay top of market. 

There are obvious reasons why Kelly would make the switch. 
1. his own salary 

2. no more assistants being poached

3. Less recruiting restrictions and a much better base of talent. UT is undoubtedly an easier place to acquire elite talent.

4. Kelly’s been at ND 10 years now, and it certainly seems like he’s reached his ceiling there. Sometimes things just get stale and you need a change. He also may be realizing his time to switch is starting to run out since he’ll be 60 by next season. 

I’m not saying he’d for sure come here, but there are absolutely reasons why he might be considering a change. You can be skeptical all you want but stop acting like there’s no basis to support the idea he might be interested, and there’s plenty of evidence to show he’s routinely had staff members poached by other schools. 

That would still be a huge raise and his assistant salary pool might triple. 

You’re wrong again. Jimbo had been flirting with LSU the year before. Things were worsening in the field and souring with FSU admin and he was absolutely looking to get out before it went south. He was about to go sub .500 that year and was running out of runway quickly. 

remake bingo GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I will not understand people saying that he has no reason to leave ND, hell if anything he has no reason to stay barring some miracle Bama win

I mean, I could see him wanting to stay. It is still ND (a prestigious job), he has them humming (43-7 over the last 4 seasons), it's something he's been building, etc. 

On the other hand, your points are valid regarding salary, assistant salaries, recruiting advantages, etc. Of less importance, he's losing his multi-year starting QB, which can sometimes bring uncertainty (we'd remember Mack very differently had he taken time off after 2009 instead of 2013). 

Anyway, I have no clue if Kelly is realistic, but I could see viable reasons for him to stay at ND or make the move. 

• Hook 'Em 1