Brian Kelly or Bust

RGBIII

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/brian-kelly-2.html shows him as 7-5

2 of the 5 losses are the title game loss to Alabama and the playoff loss last year.

Only once has Kelly lost a bowl game as the higher ranked team (2008 Orange Bowl when he was at Cincinnati).

*was supposed to be an edit to my earlier post but I fucked it up

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

6 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Brian Kelly has won 10 games in 5 out of the last 6 years and people here would be upset about this hire....please present a better realistic candidate outside of Urban. Needy bitches

Mack brown. He’s won conference titles and is 14-5 in bowl games.  Wait 14-8 but you get the point.  The main key is Mack has 14 bowl wins

Edited by closetohumping

Is it possible BK makes more money from some other sources (direct from boosters, etc) given ND is private so that $1.665 million per year number is severely inaccurate? Not sure how all that works, but I seem to remember discussions like that with regard to Patterson at TCU...that what the private schools report and what their coaches really make are two totally different things.

If not, is it even feasible for ND to step up and match anything UT could offer? I mean, with fucking mensa making $5.2 million, if I'm Brian Kelly, the conversation has to at least start at, what $8 million? That's a really long way for ND to come up. Not to mention the raise for assistants that would have to be included.

Hell, the more I think about this, it might just make too much sense. Shit, BK may even be a better fit than Urban (ducks)...what with academics being a priority and Urban having some controversies and whatnot. Note, I didn't say a better hire, I said a better fit.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Landomatic said:

Is it possible BK makes more money from some other sources (direct from boosters, etc) given ND is private so that $1.665 million per year number is severely inaccurate? Not sure how all that works, but I seem to remember discussions like that with regard to Patterson at TCU...that what the private schools report and what their coaches really make are two totally different things.

If not, is it even feasible for ND to step up and match anything UT could offer? I mean, with fucking mensa making $5.2 million, if I'm Brian Kelly, the conversation has to at least start at, what $8 million? That's a really long way for ND to come up. Not to mention the raise for assistants that would have to be included.

Hell, the more I think about this, it might just make too much sense. Shit, BK may even be a better fit than Urban (ducks)...what with academics being a priority and Urban having some controversies and whatnot. Note, I didn't say a better hire, I said a better fit.

yes, that is why that is not disclosed. He makes Herman money or more. Bet we offer him 8

I can't tell anymore if the reactions on here are what people really think or just that stupid bastard futureman creating a bunch of socks so he can spread his voluminous horse shit knowing people won't have all these accounts blocked. Urban Meyer isn't attainable, brian kelly isn't attainable...Would you please, for the love of god, and your own body stop the god damn hammering? Some of you poor bastards need to step back and remember that money makes the world go round lol. 

Edited by WinningIsHard
fixed around to round, fuckin english language
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

You do know BK killed a kid, right?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The reaction in this thread is why you need to be certain Meyer will say yes before anything becomes public knowledge.

Kelly is a fine coach and a clear upgrade from Herman, but once everyone is anchored on urban meyer, your only options are to land him or disappoint a lot of people.

If the search news started with Fickell or Harsin and suddenly Kelly's name entered the mix, I imagine the reaction would be a bit different.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I can't tell anymore if the reactions on here are what people really think or just that stupid bastard futureman creating a bunch of socks so he can spread his voluminous horse shit knowing people won't have all these accounts blocked. Urban Meyer isn't attainable, brian kelly isn't attainable...Would you please, for the love of god, and your own body stop the god damn hammering? Some of you poor bastards need to step back and remember that money makes the world go round lol. 

Everyone has a price, and you don’t know any more than anyone else here. 

2 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Well, google has Patterson at $5.1 and Helton at $3.8 (both at private schools), which seems in line with the market. Why would it be so off the mark for Kelly?

Because that is all ND chooses to disclose.  I'm guessing there are more people willing to talk at TCU and USC then are willing to talk at the top levels of Notre Dame.  Its also possible that Patterson/Helton's salaries have been leaked by their agents in order to get raises. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

The thing that makes me think this could truly be a good match if we do not land Urban is that Kelly seems to be very good at the CEO portion of the job. This is the part that proved too much for Strong and Herman. My main questions around Kelly center around his offensive system more so than him as a coach. If he is willing to adapt and open it up a bit then I could see him being a great long term answer. If he is not willing to adapt, then this could be Shawn Watson 2.0 until he gets his doors blown off by Lincoln Riley a couple of times. 

23 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

The reaction in this thread is why you need to be certain Meyer will say yes before anything becomes public knowledge.

Kelly is a fine coach and a clear upgrade from Herman, but once everyone is anchored on urban meyer, your only options are to land him or disappoint a lot of people.

If the search news started with Fickell or Harsin and suddenly Kelly's name entered the mix, I imagine the reaction would be a bit different.

No anyone with a fucking brain can see that Kelly is a solid hire, any one upset with it are simply fucking troglodytes and can bitch like children.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Kelly would be the biggest splash hire UT has ever made for football, by far.

Where is this speculation coming from, just Jesus Shuttlesworth or other 9.95ers, as well?

I'm trying to remember but I can't recall such a public "coaching search" while the position had yet to be open.  It's possible it's happened and I just don't remember.  I killed a fuckton of brain cells over the years, and despite what Cliff Clavin says, they weren't just the weak/sick ones.

$9.95 sites are probably the worst thing to happen to college programs, and Geoff "I watch the games from Pluckers because they won't let me anywhere near that program" Ketchum is prolly the greatest example.  "Tom Herman is 100% getting fired" on top of the fold with "Tom Herman's recruiting class stinks" beneath.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Brian Kelly has won 10 games in 5 out of the last 6 years and people here would be upset about this hire....please present a better realistic candidate outside of Urban. Needy bitches

These assholes wood rather keep Herman or hire Kubiak it seems. If CUM is a no go its obvious Kelly would be the next best choice.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Kelly would be the biggest splash hire UT has ever made for football, by far.

Where is this speculation coming from, just Jesus Shuttlesworth or other 9.95ers, as well?

I'm trying to remember but I can't recall such a public "coaching search" while the position had yet to be open.  It's possible it's happened and I just don't remember.  I killed a fuckton of brain cells over the years, and despite what Cliff Clavin says, they weren't just the weak/sick ones.

$9.95 sites are probably the worst thing to happen to college programs, and Geoff "I watch the games from Pluckers because they won't let me anywhere near that program" Ketchum is prolly the greatest example.  "Tom Herman is 100% getting fired" on top of the fold with "Tom Herman's recruiting class stinks" beneath.

Its coming from IT as well as @closetojumping

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

These assholes wood rather keep Herman or hire Kubiak it seems. If CUM is a no go its obvious Kelly would be the next best choice.

Flat earthers are more reasonable than message board fans.

Unless you're undefeated every year, winning each game by blowout, you're a fraud.

If your team beats a highly ranked opponent, it's a great win.  If any other team, especially one you hate, beats a highly ranked opponent, the highly ranked team was overrated.  

This list could go on for miles.

The main reason I enjoy cfb msg boards is the mental gymnastics.  It's astounding.

Anybody at UT who would be disappointed with hiring Brian Kelly is so far beyond delusional I don't know how they navigate the real world.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Flat earthers are more reasonable than message board fans.

Unless you're undefeated every year, winning each game by blowout, you're a fraud.

If your team beats a highly ranked opponent, it's a great win.  If any other team, especially one you hate, beats a highly ranked opponent, the highly ranked team was overrated.  

This list could go on for miles.

The main reason I enjoy cfb msg boards is the mental gymnastics.  It's astounding.

Anybody at UT who would be disappointed with hiring Brian Kelly is so far beyond delusional I don't know how they navigate the real world.

Correct, if Texas hires BK, it will be the most qualified head football coach they have EVER hired. Period. You won't have to worry about BK hiring his buddies, he will be out looking for the best coaches available and will have the money to keep them unless they get head gigs of course. Wouldn't that be a nice problem to have. BK is a far better coach than Mack ever was IMHO. Better recruiter, administrator who knows but a pure coach, I have no doubt.

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Everyone has a price, and you don’t know any more than anyone else here. 

I think we are saying the same thing but you seem to be implying I’m an asshole for some reason lol. BK isn’t worth urban money but he’s worth more than herman without a doubt. Pay the man, assemble a strong staff and let’s move on. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I think we are saying the same thing but you seem to be implying I’m an asshole for some reason lol. BK isn’t worth urban money but he’s worth more than herman without a doubt. Pay the man, assemble a strong staff and let’s move on. 

Yep.  If urban is a hard no let’s move on

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

get the fuck outta here with that shit

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Kelly would be one of the strongest non-Meyer choices available, but people are leery about him because of a fear that there’s another Lincoln Riley out there that we haven’t uncovered, or that his success at Notre Dame is due to a fairly weak schedule, or that he won’t know how to deal with OU and other advanced offenses.

Those are valid concerns, but who else do you get instead that would have less risk? Campbell, Fickell, Kubiak, Sark all have more risk. I could see Campbell backfilling ND and being more successful than Kelly because of the easier schedules they typically have, but I’m not sure he would do better at Texas than Kelly.

If Meyer can’t be hired, Kelly is an interesting option.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I imagine he makes more than that.  How much more, is the question.  Since you seem to know...what does he make?

I don't know, but I know he makes more than a well paid coordinator at a top program. He's almost assuredly top 15 and likely top 10. I'm guessing 6-8 million a year range. I also don't think it matters, if Texas wants him, Notre Dame can't stop it. 

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Yes and Tom is undefeated in bowls.  

what random arbitrary stat should we do next?  Win percentage vs FSU and ou?

It’s not arbitrary. Your bowl record is your bowl record. On top of that, they are one of the few times teams get extended prep time, usually matched against similar talent, and something is on the line. It is a good indicator of a programs ability to meet the challenge. Some coaches seem to be much better at doing this then others.

The who, what, why, etc bullshit don’t mean much. Just did you win, or not. That is not arbitrary.

3 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

if Texas wants him, Notre Dame can't stop it. 

How so?  If the money's the same, it becomes somewhat of a lateral move.  Slight recruiting advantage for Texas, but Kelly's been pulling down top classes at ND pretty consistently.  ND's average recruiting class ranking over the last 5 years is 13.8...Texas' is 10.8 so not that far apart.  Although I have to believe Kelly would raise that without the limitations ND has on him. But then there's the downside of starting over and no guarantees at a new program, etc. UT may be an easier path to a national championship, then again it may not. No, I think we'd all have to be pretty damn hopeful UT could money whip ND for this to actually happen.

3 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

The amount of people raging on hiring Kelly is fucking stupid. Half the posters this board are made up of the guys who spend the entire night at the bar simping on the 11/10 chick who isn’t in to them and then goes home and jerks it to her Facebook. Instead of going home with 8/10 girls and actually getting laid.

Only half?   Come on, man...

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Wait do you really think Kelly only makes 1.6 million a year? 

He also thought Chip Kelly was the answer. 

From the Ghost of Coaching Searches Past:

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/163489-If-Chip-Kelly-s-available-what-do-you-do?s=d8989a7ae70e6d909c7df66b222c05ca

And @TexArcher + rep yourself for the 3rd post:

If you were a hot dog, would you eat yourself?

• Haha 1