Brian Kelly or Bust

RGBIII

1 minute ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I mean, I could see him wanting to stay. It is still ND (a prestigious job), he has them humming (43-7 over the last 4 seasons), it's something he's been building, etc. 

On the other hand, your points are valid regarding salary, assistant salaries, recruiting advantages, etc. Of less importance, he's losing his multi-year starting QB, which can sometimes bring uncertainty (we'd remember Mack very differently had he taken time off after 2009 instead of 2013). 

Anyway, I have no clue if Kelly is realistic, but I could see viable reasons for him to stay at ND or make the move. 

Yep and losing his DC. His value will never be higher than right now. If he has a James Franklin type year next year at ND breaking in a new DC and new QB, he isn't getting looked at by a school like Texas for 8+ million. Now is the time to make a move at peak value 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Yep and losing his DC. His value will never be higher than right now. If he has a James Franklin type year next year at ND breaking in a new DC and new QB, he isn't getting looked at by a school like Texas for 8+ million. Now is the time to make a move at peak value 

Wonder if BK is a fan of Chris Ash?

15 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

You make it sound like we would be getting shystered.  

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I mean, I could see him wanting to stay. It is still ND (a prestigious job), he has them humming (43-7 over the last 4 seasons), it's something he's been building, etc. 

On the other hand, your points are valid regarding salary, assistant salaries, recruiting advantages, etc. Of less importance, he's losing his multi-year starting QB, which can sometimes bring uncertainty (we'd remember Mack very differently had he taken time off after 2009 instead of 2013). 

Anyway, I have no clue if Kelly is realistic, but I could see viable reasons for him to stay at ND or make the move. 

This is where I'm at. For every, "but, but, but we're Texas" there is an equal or greater "but, but, but, we're Notre Dame". Easier path to win a National Championship from a Texas standpoint because of better recruiting.  Easier path to win a National Championship from a Notre Dame perspective because he's already got something built there that has had them in the playoff or national championship game 3 out of his last 8 years there. They could see it as being just on the cusp, where we could see it as a ceiling. Everyone seems to agree that ND isn't spending what Texas is. Does that mean they won't or can't? Especially if it means keeping BK? ND also has an easier path given the fact that they appear to be an automatic F4 qualifier as long as they don't lose more than one game. Plus ND is a more prestigious job and has other advantages UT doesn't have...better education, better traditions, etc. In other words, who the fuck knows?  But I like it if it happens.

5 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

after the sarcastic ok a follow up sentence of why you don't believe it will happen would help the overall flow of the message board. If you just like saying good shit can't or won't happen to Texas then why the fuck keep coming to this board everday? haha 

He's not coming to Texas because it's a lateral move at best, and probably considered by most non-Texas fans to be a step down. 

He might use Texas to get a raise, though.

• Fuck You 1

38 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

You make it sound like we would be getting shystered.  

Nah, I can just see him not reaching this peak again at ND. Dont think they are a playoff team in the next 3-4 years and then he will be 64 and time for a move will probably have passed by then

I will preface this by admitting that I don't know what I'm talking about and it's probably because I don't like Brian Kelly's face. But I can't get excited for another alleged offensive genius who runs a mystery spread offense that is apparently named after himself.

Points scored by the vaunted Brian Kelly offense in his biggest games (all losses):

2012 NCG: 14 - L

2016 Fiesta Bowl: 28 (in a 44-28 "shootout") - L

2018 Playoff: 3 - L

2020 CCG: 10 - L

2020 Playoff: TBD

We want a guy who averages 13.75 ppg on the biggest stage? That ain't fucking getting it done in the big 12, boyos.

It's just you look at Brian Kelly over there and you see a rosy cheeked asshole bringing in his fucking buddies and averaging 8.5 wins a year.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

I will preface this by admitting that I don't know what I'm talking about and it's probably because I don't like Brian Kelly's face. But I can't get excited for another alleged offensive genius who runs a mystery spread offense that is apparently named after himself.

Points scored by the vaunted Brian Kelly offense in his biggest games (all losses):

We want a guy who averages 13.75 ppg on the biggest stage? That ain't fucking getting it done in the big 12, boyos.

It's just you look at Brian Kelly over there and you see a rosy cheeked asshole bringing in his fucking buddies and averaging 8.5 wins a year.

He didn't just put up 47 against #1 Clemson? Are you just going to take the smallest sample size imaginable against the top competition imaginable and then compare it to the defenses in the Big12? Any interest in mentioning he has averaged over 35PPG the past two years or would you just prefer to use one game for 8 years ago as 1/4th of your example? C'mon dude, lets just get to the biggest games before we worry about how many points he will score in them...

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Listen, i have never been one to love Kelly's personality. But if you think he's a guy who "just brings in his buddies", you literally don't pay attention.

I'll take the guy who beats who he is supposed to beat and gets to the big games, rather than the loser who is scared to play(and loses to) very average teams, and who's "big" wins are only "big" because of his back constantly being against the fucking wall. Brian Kelly can coach fucking circles around the clown that is Herman.

And lol at holding the 2012 CCG AGAINST Kelly. We all knew they were gonna get buttfucked. That team had zero chance of doing anything against Bama.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

He didn't just put up 47 against #1 Clemson? Are you just going to take the smallest sample size imaginable against the top competition imaginable and then compare it to the defenses in the Big12? Any interest in mentioning he has averaged over 35PPG the past two years or would you just prefer to use one game for 8 years ago as 1/4th of your example? C'mon dude, lets just get to the biggest games before we worry about how many points he will score in them...

Like I said, my argument was based mostly on his face.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

That is fair, really the only argument I will entertain at this point

Two different arguments though (now we're arguing about arguments - classic Surly)...

1. Would Kelly be a great hire? - Not an argument worth entertaining, because anyone arguing he wouldn't be is a moron, with the exception of the punchable face thing, which is probably valid.
  2. Can UT just take him if we want him, because we're UT and blah blah blah? - That's debatable.
  • Hook 'Em 1

YOu guys have "no academic restictions?"  That is not your reputation.

3 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Kelly is making $5-6m/year after signing his extension in September if you believe the Notre Dame writers. Their OC, Rees, makes about $675k/year. Elko got hired away by A&M on a 3 year deal at $1.8m/year. Lea tried to get the Boston College job prior to getting the Vandy job this year. Notre Dame writers were saying that they really needed to tie him down on a bigger contract before the season. It doesn't seem like they want to pay what the big boys will pay assistants.

Venables's are rare.  Most coordinators do not want to do it forever.  

2017:  After a disastrous campaign, Kelly is basically told to go outside of his network for new coordinators.  He does and hires DC Elko and OC Chip Long.  4-8 becomes 10-3 (with a win over PAC champ USC and a close loss to #3 UGA).

2018:  Texas A&M was absolutely determined to bid  for the coaches they wanted.  ND made a handshake deal with Elko for a nice pay raise but ATM simply rebid.  ND refuses to match for the 2nd time and promoted Clark Lea.

2019 DC Lea is successful and hot name.  Everyone understands that Lea wants a HC job.

OC Chip Long becomes "difficult to work with" and leaves, becomes an analyst at UTe.

Brian Kelly promotes Tom Rees, who only had graduated from ND in 2013.  This felt like the old Kelly who would rather hire people he knew than those who were successful.  Of course a green horn isn't getting top dollar.

2020 Lea's alma mater offers him the HC job. 

So I would say ND hires and pays coordinators fairly well, especially someone looks over BK's shoulder.  But we don't back up the truck and make offers they can't refuse. 

#coordinator90210

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

2017:  After a disastrous campaign, Kelly is basically told to go outside of his network for new coordinators.  He does and hires DC Elko and OC Chip Long.  4-8 becomes 10-3 (with a win over PAC champ USC and a close loss to #3 UGA).

2018:  Texas A&M was absolutely determined to bid  for the coaches they wanted.  ND made a handshake deal with Elko for a nice pay raise but ATM simply rebid.  ND refuses to match for the 2nd time and promoted Clark Lea.

2019 DC Lea is successful and hot name.  Everyone understands that Lea wants a HC job.

OC Chip Long becomes "difficult to work with" and leaves, becomes an analyst at UTe.

Brian Kelly promotes Tom Rees, who only had graduated from ND in 2013.  This felt like the old Kelly who would rather hire people he knew than those who were successful.  Of course a green horn isn't getting top dollar.

So I would say ND hires and pays coordinators fairly well, especially someone looks over BK's shoulder.  But we don't back up the truck and make offers they can't refuse. 

#coordinator90210

tumblr_mrnmqeuAge1sbhxjro8_400.gif

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

You're right. He could score on Bama in the middle of it's Prime or another top 4 Team.  He couldn't possibly score in the Big 12 with their vaunted defenses.

And because of that...we need to turn down a proven coach who has turned around several programs to stick with Herman or another middle rung HC who had a good year or two.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, XYZ said:

Texas might be somewhat less restrictive academically than ND, but do we have the cheating machinery in place to pay recruits like Bama does? I don’t think we do. It seems that’s what you need if you want to beat Bama.

If we have the "cheating machinery" in place, it won't be the HC that's facilitating the deals. Saban, Swinney, et al, don't want to hear about any of it. Plausible deniability. 

Or maybe I'm just being naive. 

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

#coordinator90210

A lot of these guys forget what it's like to be successful enough to have good assistants get poached.  We just remember what it's like to have them suck so bad that the head coach has to fire them just to keep his own job.

At the end of the day I just don't see it happening.  I understand the logic and basis for why it could happen, and that may be enough to give him pause, but I don't see a good coach leaving a playoff contender because we're Texas.  We're Texas hasn't landed us anyone approaching Kelly's background yet, and I don't see it starting now.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

A lot of these guys forget what it's like to be successful enough to have good assistants get poached.  We just remember what it's like to have them suck so bad that the head coach has to fire them just to keep his own job.

We have fairly good assistants right now. It is hard for me to say how Yurcich would do if he wasn’t under Herman. The only guys I would definitely fire would be Herman, Hand and Coleman. Maybe golfclap could convince me on drayton and I could not care less if we keep or get rid of our DL coaches.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

If Notre Dame offered Lea in the $2.5 million range like the top coordinators I'm guessing he would still be the defensive coordinator. 

Elko, Sark, and Venables would all be head coaches by now if they weren't being paid top dollar. 

I get Vanderbilt is his alma mater but that's a terrible job that probably isn't paying well during Covid. Notre Dame could have easily outbid Vanderbilt for Lea if they would have paid him a top 5 assistant salary. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

TFB

Spoiler

***As you know, we recently mentioned that if a change is to happen one of the names we recently heard is Steve Sarkisian.

***Over the holiday weekend, I heard his name a couple more times – one from the same source which is a source on the Sarkisian side and the other was just floating around in coaching circles.

***Back on December 2nd (link here) in a comment related to CDC’s role, we mentioned Brian Kelly, saying:

If it’s not Urban though, source believes CDC is going to stake his reputation on this next hire – as in, he will take the credit and the blame for it. Someone like Brian Kelly would be a safe hire in that an AD isn’t losing his job for hiring Kelly and it not working out.

I was digging on some Sarkisian news via Texas sources and Kelly’s name came up again.

***However, I reached out to someone close to Kelly and while they did not know if Kelly would take the job, they seemed to think it was extremely unlikely saying, “No way he’s leave. He’s retiring in two or less years”.

Later in the same conversation, source reiterated that Kelly has told people around him he plans on retiring soon and emphasized again, “I’m going to say ‘no’ on BK. Why go and rebuild and his age when he has success? Dude is making nine million already. He’s going to take another million to rebuild – or even two? I don’t see it”.

***Again, this is just one person’s opinion on the matter but it is an informed opinion.

No way is he making 9 mill currently

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

If Notre Dame offered Lea in the $2.5 million range like the top coordinators I'm guessing he would still be the defensive coordinator. 

Elko, Sark, and Venables would all be head coaches by now if they weren't being paid top dollar. 

I get Vanderbilt is his alma mater but that's a terrible job that probably isn't paying well during Covid. Notre Dame could have easily outbid Vanderbilt for Lea if they would have paid him a top 5 assistant salary. 

Yeah if my alma mater was a toilet tier p5 team I would tell em "Thanks but no thanks" if I could. I realize I'm leaving myself wide ass open there but that's why I'm only going to say that here.

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

TFB

Reveal hidden contents

***As you know, we recently mentioned that if a change is to happen one of the names we recently heard is Steve Sarkisian.

***Over the holiday weekend, I heard his name a couple more times – one from the same source which is a source on the Sarkisian side and the other was just floating around in coaching circles.

***Back on December 2nd (link here) in a comment related to CDC’s role, we mentioned Brian Kelly, saying:

If it’s not Urban though, source believes CDC is going to stake his reputation on this next hire – as in, he will take the credit and the blame for it. Someone like Brian Kelly would be a safe hire in that an AD isn’t losing his job for hiring Kelly and it not working out.

I was digging on some Sarkisian news via Texas sources and Kelly’s name came up again.

***However, I reached out to someone close to Kelly and while they did not know if Kelly would take the job, they seemed to think it was extremely unlikely saying, “No way he’s leave. He’s retiring in two or less years”.

Later in the same conversation, source reiterated that Kelly has told people around him he plans on retiring soon and emphasized again, “I’m going to say ‘no’ on BK. Why go and rebuild and his age when he has success? Dude is making nine million already. He’s going to take another million to rebuild – or even two? I don’t see it”.

***Again, this is just one person’s opinion on the matter but it is an informed opinion.

Yeah, he definitely is not.

3 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

lulz him and his entire staff combined might not be making 9 million total

Even the ND writers don't think Kelly makes $9 million. 

His salary is higher than the $1.8 base but it's not fucking $9 million. Jesus, that's awful. A school that's willing to pay $9 million for a head coach isn't going to allow a tier 2 school like A&M to steal assistants. 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Even the ND writers don't think Kelly makes $9 million. 

His salary is higher than the $1.8 base but it's not fucking $9 million. Jesus, that's awful. A school that's willing to pay $9 million for a head coach isn't going to allow a tier 2 school like A&M to steal assistants. 

You mean the preeminent SEC school in the State of Texas good sir!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Sorry, I am over here trying to get excited about anothe Alamo Bowl appearance. 

I don't like Kelly at all, but this sample size is a shit load better than what we have done this past decade.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
1 hour ago, Schulz2.0 said:
Texas will admit players that meet the NCAA minimum requirements. We also absolutely have easy majors that the vast majority of scholarship players go into.

Anyone who has ever met Jamaal Charles understands that there is no actual bar for academics for UT football admission.

ElegantQuarrelsomeLamb-max-1mb.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sure, @CurlyDumps used a small sample size but there are other games he could have pointed too, not sure it actually matters..

2019 Michigan - L 45-14

2017 Miami - L 41-8

2017 Stanford - L 38-20

18-18 in Top 25 matchups since being at ND

5-4 Bowl record at ND

Is he better than Herman, absolutely. He's a great coach and has CFP appearances and a MNC appearance to prove that. 

35 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

TFB

Reveal hidden contents

FWIW Super K doubts the 9 mill too. Also the important thing is that BK name is out there and if it made its way to TFB that means things are advanced IMO

Just now, RGBIII said:

FWIW Super K doubts the 9 mill too.

Well no shit. 

Putting shit out there like that is not going to make TFB reputable when it comes to this stuff. If anything that last article/source was completely made up because anybody with knowledge knows Kelly is making nowhere close to $9 million at Notre Dame. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Whoever we hire, please go copy the OU offense. Pull a Switzer in reverse.

It’s not very easy to copy because it’s the brainchild of Riley and he doesn’t even really have a protege to poach. It’s all him, and he’s one of the best offensive minds in all of football. Someone could try to copy it from just breaking down film, but I doubt it would go well.
I’d be more intrigued by trying to pull someone from the Shanahan/McVay/Lafleur tree (not Kubiah as HC, dammit). There are a lot more people out there who can run that style of offense and it shares a lot of similarities with the Riley offense, even though they evolved from different offensive systems. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

It’s not very easy to copy because it’s the brainchild of Riley and he doesn’t even really have a protege to poach. It’s all him, and he’s one of the best offensive minds in all of football. Someone could try to copy it from just breaking down film, but I doubt it would go well.
I’d be more intrigued by trying to pull someone from the Shanahan/McVay/Lafleur tree (not Kubiah as HC, dammit). There are a lot more people out there who can run that style of offense and it shares a lot of similarities with the Riley offense, even though they evolved from different offensive systems. 

I think what he meant by that was to hold on every fucking play

• Hook 'Em 2