Brian Kelly or Bust

RGBIII

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:
5 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:
Texas will admit players that meet the NCAA minimum requirements. We also absolutely have easy majors that the vast majority of scholarship players go into.

Anyone who has ever met Jamaal Charles understands that there is no actual bar for academics for UT football admission.

I met him. Also in a study room once, I saw him just open his text book and not turn the page for 30 mins. He was fucking fast though and saved us so many games.

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:
5 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:
Texas will admit players that meet the NCAA minimum requirements. We also absolutely have easy majors that the vast majority of scholarship players go into.

Anyone who has ever met Jamaal Charles understands that there is no actual bar for academics for UT football admission.

Edited by Zeus
Dp

5 hours ago, Landomatic said:

A lot of these guys forget what it's like to be successful enough to have good assistants get poached.  We just remember what it's like to have them suck so bad that the head coach has to fire them just to keep his own job.

Maybe the problem is the head coach rather than the assistants. Harsin comes to mind as do a handful on our current staff.

8 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

If Notre Dame offered Lea in the $2.5 million range like the top coordinators I'm guessing he would still be the defensive coordinator. 

Elko, Sark, and Venables would all be head coaches by now if they weren't being paid top dollar. 

I get Vanderbilt is his alma mater but that's a terrible job that probably isn't paying well during Covid. Notre Dame could have easily outbid Vanderbilt for Lea if they would have paid him a top 5 assistant salary. 

Maybe we could have kept him away from Vandy.  But not hold back his career indefinitely. 

Kelly 2.0 is wrapping up his 4th year and it has been ramarkably predictable.  He takes care of business against the dregs of the ACC and a downtrodden SC.  Then we reach the big game and get overwhelmed by superior talent.

I don't think there is any chance Kelly leaves ND for Texas, but I think Texas fans would be disappointed if he does. 

Kelly isn't the guy that is going to take a young top recruiting class and win immediately. His best seasons he has had teams that were stacked with upper classmen. Then he has a few middling years until his next few classes take shape and he has a great season again. I am not sure that you guys have the patience to put up with 3-4 years of purging Herman's players while BK brings in his own guys, redshirts them and then is ready for them to compete in 2024. 

Edited by Juicy
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Texas: Hey Urban, we'll offer you $12 million a year and give you a metric fuckton for assistants.

Notre Dame: A bidding war against A&M for our DC? No thanks. We pay "fairly well."

I, for one, would not be disappointed if we hire Kelly and Kelly decides to poach Elko just to fuck with Aggie.

46 minutes ago, Juicy said:

I don't think there is any chance Kelly leaves ND for Texas, but I think Texas fans would be disappointed if he does. 

Kelly isn't the guy that is going to take a young top recruiting class and win immediately. His best seasons he has had teams that were stacked with upper classmen. Then he has a few middling years until his next few classes take shape and he has a great season again. I am not sure that you guys have the patience to put up with 3-4 years of purging Herman's players while BK brings in his own guys, redshirts them and then is ready for them to compete in 2024. 

Notre Dame was coming off of 8 years of WIllingham and then Weiss when Kelly took over in 2010.  A complete rebuild.  And he had them in a title game in year 3.

If he puts us in the title game in his third year - yeah, I'm good with that.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Notre Dame was coming off of 8 years of WIllingham and then Weiss when Kelly took over in 2010.  A complete rebuild.  And he had them in a title game in year 3.

If he puts us in the title game in his third year - yeah, I'm good with that.

The 4 biggest games of Brian Kelly's career at ND:

BCS National Championship vs Alabama

CFB Semi Final vs Clemson

ACC Championship vs Clemson

CFB Semi Final vs Alabama

You know what the difference is in all these game? Complete and total talent mismatch. 

Kelly is a fantastic game day coach and a damn good x's and o's guy but he lacks the elite talent needed to win at the highest levels at ND IMO. At Texas he could achieve that talent in a recruiting hot bed. All he would have to do is stop the bleeding and close the borders of Texas on top talent. Mix in some national guys while he's at it and it's a recipe for a higher ceiling of success at Texas vs ND.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Juicy said:

You're right, I would just rather just keep tripping over our dicks with top 5 recruiting classes and hoping freshman will save us as none of our recruits ever develop once on campus and we continue to get our shit pushed in by sub.500 TCU.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Juicy said:

How’s your boy Harbaugh gonna do next year? 

59 minutes ago, Juicy said:

image.png.f0ad0ecee5e744a0c5776dd375a5d0f2.png

You're right that ND team was firing on all cylinders before he got there! This progression is what you should see from a good coach IMO. This isn't the old days where it takes 4-5 years to build and prepare a team. If you don't see it around year 3 then the odds of it turning around are slim.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, RGBIII said:

TFB

Reveal hidden contents

***As you know, we recently mentioned that if a change is to happen one of the names we recently heard is Steve Sarkisian.

***Over the holiday weekend, I heard his name a couple more times – one from the same source which is a source on the Sarkisian side and the other was just floating around in coaching circles.

***Back on December 2nd (link here) in a comment related to CDC’s role, we mentioned Brian Kelly, saying:

If it’s not Urban though, source believes CDC is going to stake his reputation on this next hire – as in, he will take the credit and the blame for it. Someone like Brian Kelly would be a safe hire in that an AD isn’t losing his job for hiring Kelly and it not working out.

I was digging on some Sarkisian news via Texas sources and Kelly’s name came up again.

***However, I reached out to someone close to Kelly and while they did not know if Kelly would take the job, they seemed to think it was extremely unlikely saying, “No way he’s leave. He’s retiring in two or less years”.

Later in the same conversation, source reiterated that Kelly has told people around him he plans on retiring soon and emphasized again, “I’m going to say ‘no’ on BK. Why go and rebuild and his age when he has success? Dude is making nine million already. He’s going to take another million to rebuild – or even two? I don’t see it”.

***Again, this is just one person’s opinion on the matter but it is an informed opinion.

No way is he making 9 mill currently

Some dude in the comments thinks we should offer Sark at $10M a year?  

Oooooook.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

image.png.f0ad0ecee5e744a0c5776dd375a5d0f2.png

You're right that ND team was firing on all cylinders before he got there! This progression is what you should see from a good coach IMO. This isn't the old days where it takes 4-5 years to build and prepare a team. If you don't see it around year 3 then the odds of it turning around are slim.

So Texas fans are ok with losing 10 games the next two years? Around loss 3 there would be a fire BK thread and around loss 7 there would be a meltdown. 

5 minutes ago, Juicy said:

So Texas fans are ok with losing 10 games the next two years? Around loss 3 there would be a fire BK thread and around loss 7 there would be a meltdown. 

There is twice as much talent right now at Texas than what Kelly walked into at ND. You could honestly agrue there is more talent at Texas right now than there is at ND.

Tom is probably going to get fired for too many 8 win seasons. If we were okay with losing 5 games next year we'd just keep Herman around.

I mean seriously. A blind, nutless monkey could walk onto the 40 and coach Texas to 7-5 next season. And you think Brian Kelly, who is at worst one of the top 5 CEO and players' coaches and program builders in the country, would struggle to win 17-20 games in his first two seasons?

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I see you Juicy!
giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

35 minutes ago, Juicy said:

probably about the same as this year....

So 2 wins? I think I have to agree with you there. 

33 minutes ago, Juicy said:

The reason I trolled you about Harbaugh is because your analysis of Kelly was too dumb to respond to yet you keep going. Our roster is drastically better than ND when he took over. They had some really good players on that ND team, but the depth and overall talent was really lacking. 
Simply looking at Kelly’s record at ND and assuming it will be the same in a completely different context is moronic. Just stop. 

• Hook 'Em 4

21 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

So 2 wins? I think I have to agree with you there. 

The reason I trolled you about Harbaugh is because your analysis of Kelly was too dumb to respond to yet you keep going. Our roster is drastically better than ND when he took over. They had some really good players on that ND team, but the depth and overall talent was really lacking. 
Simply looking at Kelly’s record at ND and assuming it will be the same in a completely different context is moronic. Just stop. 

Harbaugh is terrible, I would trade him for Herman in a second.

Kelly isn't coming to Texas, he is in the playoff and has won 10+ games in 5 of the last 6 seasons. ND doesn't have to abide by any conference rules or play in a conference championship to make the playoffs. Urban was a realistic option, Kelly is not. 

3 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Kelly isn't coming to Texas, he is in the playoff and has won 10+ games in 5 of the last 6 seasons. ND doesn't have to abide by any conference rules or play in a conference championship to make the playoffs. Urban was a realistic option, Kelly is not. 

Season 5 Finger Guns GIF by The Office

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Juicy said:

I see you’ve now moved the goal posts from we wouldn’t like Kelly because he’d take too long to win (despite going 12-0 in year 3 at ND) to he’s not coming here. You realize you’re just being a troll, right? 

Edited by Burt Macklin

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

I see you’ve now moved the goal posts from we wouldn’t like Kelly because he’d take too long to win (despite going 12-0 in year 3 at ND) to he’s not coming here. You realize you’re just being a troll, right? 

I am not moving the goal posts. If Kelly goes 8-5 and 8-5 in his first two years at Texas would you be happy? 

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

A positive for Kelly is that normally he only loses the games he’s supposed to lose. That would be an awesome improvement for us.

i guess d&d GIF by Hyper RPG

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The 4 biggest games of Brian Kelly's career at ND:

BCS National Championship vs Alabama

CFB Semi Final vs Clemson

ACC Championship vs Clemson

CFB Semi Final vs Alabama

You know what the difference is in all these game? Complete and total talent mismatch. 

Kelly is a fantastic game day coach and a damn good x's and o's guy but he lacks the elite talent needed to win at the highest levels at ND IMO. At Texas he could achieve that talent in a recruiting hot bed. All he would have to do is stop the bleeding and close the borders of Texas on top talent. Mix in some national guys while he's at it and it's a recipe for a higher ceiling of success at Texas vs ND.

Pretty much this.

It's like think Urban, at Utah, was going to actually win a Title over Bama.  They showed up and caught Bama off guard, but they wouldn't have won 2 playoff games.  The Talent was just too different.

ND is not ND of 30 years ago where, much like Nebraska, they got the BEST players from all over to come there.  He's got good player...but if he was recruiting the South, he'd probably have had more success.

5 minutes ago, Juicy said:

I am not moving the goal posts. If Kelly goes 8-5 and 8-5 in his first two years at Texas would you be happy? 

He wouldn’t though. We have an easy schedule where we’re more talented than every team but one on our schedule next year. You have no valid basis to support your hypothesis and when you got called out for it, you switched to well, he’s not coming here. You’re trolling. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

31 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He wouldn’t though. We have an easy schedule where we’re more talented than every team but one on our schedule next year. You have no valid basis to support your hypothesis and when you got called out for it, you switched to well, he’s not coming here. You’re trolling. 

Ok, since you can't answer the question on if 8-5 is good enough for you. Why would he leave ND where he is in the playoffs for Texas, where he has to play a team that has won 6 consecutive conference titles?

My hypothesis is supported by the fact he just lost 8 games at ND, where they were more talented than every team on there schedule except one, and any time there is a coaching change there is attrition. It would take BK time to get that talent back, and develop them. 

NDs team this year is loaded with Seniors or Graduated players, that is how Kelly is successful, it takes time. So would you be happy with two seasons of 8-5 or would you be calling him a failure after 10 losses in 2 years? 

https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/notre-dame/91487

Edited by Juicy

12 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Ok, since you can't answer the question on if 8-5 is good enough for you. Why would he leave ND where he is in the playoffs for Texas, where he has to play a team that has won 6 consecutive conference titles?

My hypothesis is supported by the fact he just lost 8 games at ND, where they were more talented than every team on there schedule except one, and any time there is a coaching change there is attrition. It would take BK time to get that talent back, and develop them. 

NDs team this year is loaded with Seniors or Graduated players, that is how Kelly is successful, it takes time. So would you be happy with two seasons of 8-5 or would you be calling him a failure after 10 losses in 2 years? 

ND has an average recruiting class of drum roll please...... of 14 over the last 10 years and the highest they ever got to was 5, Texas under going 3 coaching changes and the absolute worst decade in program history averaged 10 with multiple top 5 classes. Kelly and ND get their asses kicked because the talent gap between 10-15 and 1-3 is fucking massive and it's no shock that when ND runs into Bama and Clemson they get their asses kicked .

Just now, Not a Sock said:

ND has an average recruiting class of drum roll please...... of 14 over the last 10 years and the highest they ever got to was 5, Texas under going 3 coaching changes and the absolute worst decade in program history averaged 10 with multiple top 5 classes. Kelly and ND get their asses kicked because the talent gap between 10-15 and 1-3 is fucking massive and it's no shock that when ND runs into Bama and Clemson they get murdered .

Re: the other name from TFB, Sark.

I don’t know man. Beyond all the alcohol stuff, his record outside of coordinating offenses with ridiculous talent advantages under hall of fame HCs noted for their defensive prowess is unimpressive. Far less impressive than Tom Herman, to be honest. I get that coaching hires are reactive, so if Herman’s conduct is actually an issue I see why they go for a coach who’s stone cold sober, but I do not see much there from a football perspective.

Also, man, doesn’t feel like Helton has been at SC since all that. Feels like forever ago.

28 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Re: the other name from TFB, Sark.

I don’t know man. Beyond all the alcohol stuff, his record outside of coordinating offenses with ridiculous talent advantages under hall of fame HCs noted for their defensive prowess is unimpressive. Far less impressive than Tom Herman, to be honest. I get that coaching hires are reactive, so if Herman’s conduct is actually an issue I see why they go for a coach who’s stone cold sober, but I do not see much there from a football perspective.

Also, man, doesn’t feel like Helton has been at SC since all that. Feels like forever ago.

TFB has zero idea about the coaching search and is just throwing shit at the wall at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:
On 12/27/2020 at 7:45 PM, LTtxfan said:
Username   emoji818.png  
Could just be his Agent floating info out to make sure Brian Kelly gets a healthy raise at ND... emoji848.png

Will we get a discount when Bama beats him by 50?

What if we beat them by 50?

Wait. Wut?