Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:35 PM, Neonmoon said:

Transcribed

Question: I read an article that really has me doubting Evans coming to school in Aggieland. Should I read into that or is that national media bias towards tu?"

"Well, I, I don't think A&M's like leading, there was a time early when I would say I thought they were. But if you're writing him off to A&M. I think you are way way off. And I don't mean this in kind of a rude way, but you should probably should just stop reading this stuff.  Zach's kind of all over the map in interviews and stuff anyway. There's so much recruiting to be done. I mean, Texas' running backs don't even lead their team in rushing. And then you got A&M with Trayveon Williams led the SEC and ran for almost 1800 yards. I mean At some point in time these things are going to start factoring in.  There's going to be momentum changes. And not just his recruitment, but any recruitment. Ryan Watts was here yesterday. Who I think is a terrific corner out of Little Elm. And there was a point in time when I felt great about A&M getting him. Then it seemed like Texas made an impression. But really now it's A&M and OU in a battle. And they had him in town yesterday. And I think's there been a momentum swing in A&Ms favor. That doesn't mean they're gonna get him...Now if he committed, it'd be huge. It would be a huge deal. If they were able to get him. But I think if you look at Watts, and the momentum swing is already there. Um Zach Evans is no different. It's just more high profile. There's are gonna be swings of momentum with him. And he's coming in, scheduled to come in this weekend. Demond Demas is comning up, planning to spend some time with him. (This's years Leon) You know he's going to get the red carpet rolled out. Let's see how he feels coming out of the A&M visit. I've gotten to the point where a lot of these guys that cover this thing nationally. And the People that cover it for other schools. that people cover Texas its such an agenda . It's such agenda driven. It's so biased. From people like, People like Byron Carrington over there at Texas. It's just so diluted with bias. You can't let yourself read that and get caught up. There's just this like propaganda war going on, on social media. And the people. and it's not all of them. But a lot of the people that cover it, That are completely wrapped up and engulfed in it to where If Brawny or Howell acted like that, they wouldn't work here. And they know, and they don't, they don't have it in them, I don't even have to worry about it  (It's allowed to happen over there). And the regional and national guys. I've just lost. There's some of them that I think do a hell of a job. I always say that one of the guys that stands out. Barton Simmons is terrific. He always has been. He's a pro...There's a lot of them, and I think Shannon Terry gets a good group over there at 247. But There's also a lot of them out there, that it's just. you know like Major Burns gets an LSU offer. And you can see these guys. A couple of them we work with. just falling all over themselves, to try to on twitter, because they know Major Burns is reading it, to try to just talk about what an honor it is, you know, the LSU offer or how he fits. It's like. It really is like watching fans. And they say that about us. It's like, I don't sit there and tweet. I mean when they commit, you talk about what about what kind of fit they are, and you write it in the articles. But to do it on twitter when know a guy is gonna see it and retweet it. The whole thing has just really gotten to disgusting levels. So to me, I would say to quit reading the crap, outside of this. If it stresses you out. If you can't, If it makes you give up on guys and makes it not as fun. If you can handle it , fine, I think it's great entertainment"

(parenthesis are funny chime ins from the guy other than Looch)

Hot fucking Daffy!  You can practically hear Liucci spitting, sputtering and stuttering as he pecks away on his keyboard.  I bet he dreams about Carrington, BC is his great white whale.

• Haha 1

There’s so many players scattered over two practice fields that it’s hard to get a look at everyone during the first day of workouts. You have to pick and choose to an extent and here’s some thoughts on individual players that we saw.

Derrick Hunter

Hunter is as big as advertised but he’s also going to have to reshape his body to an extent. That’s not a surprise for a true frosh who’s an early enrollee. However, he’s got a thick base which means that he’s going to eventually be able put on lots of good weight. When it’s all going to be said and done, he’s going to be a massive guy in the middle who’s going to be very hard to move. In addition, you look at his bend and he doesn’t get in his stance like some of the other 300 pounders on the roster. He’s low with great pad level and a straight back. He can be a straight line penetrating three tech or a nose in the mold of Daylon Mack.

Max Wright

He’s listed at 6 foot 4 and 262 pounds. I tend to believe the weight but he’s probably closer to 6 foot 3.

And mind you, that’s okay. He can move, he’s got great technique, and he plays with great effort. He’s more like Landis Durham (the hybrid backer/end in A&M’s defense last season as opposed to Bobby Brown or Kingsley Keke (both at 285 pounds or better) who could set the edge to the field.

The question is this: is he big enough to play that role this season? He could be by next year after another year in the weight room but this season may be a different story. In addition, he’s a contributor on special teams due to his combination of size and mobility and the bigger he gets the more his mobility is affected.

Is Wright a better fit long term at the hybrid? Could he even get big enough to move inside to the three tech? Keep in mind he’s not an upperclassmen and it took two seasons to find the best spot for Durham. Wright might be in the same boat long term.

Defensive tackle

The defensive tackles as a whole are a much bigger group than what we’re used to seeing at A&M. You can tell the upperclassmen from the underclassmen very easily due to the effects of A&M’s strength and conditioning program. However, outside of Justin Madubuike, there’s not a dedicated three tech with that type of get off among the players who have been on campus a while. I think Hunter is going to have to play at a lower weight to be a three tech to preserve his get off.

Kickers Seth Small and Caden Davis

One of the things that’s noticeable when you attend practice is the difference between the newcomers and the veterans, even from a freshman to a sophomore. Small turns his hips better right now and drives the ball better on the longer kicks. Davis is less consistent from kick to kick.

Quarterbacks

We didn’t see much different on Saturday from the top four than what we saw on Wednesday. Kellen Mond and Connor Blumrick have the best footwork and most compact delivery of the four scholarship quarterbacks and they’ve been on campus the longest. In particular, Mond and Blumrick were both early enrollees in early 2017 so they’ve been getting tutelage at the college level for over two years. In contrast, Calzada has been on campus less than two months and Foster has been on campus less than a year. In reps alone, they’ve got a huge leg up on everyone else and it shows when they throw the ball.

I like how Tarp is quietly managing expectations on a few players. Wright might need a couple more years? Hunter might be too big for a DE? Foster has been there a year and still not a great passer?

Brian Perroni: With A&M visit coming up, 5-star Arik Gilbert likes how Aggies use TE

Texas A&M has been heavily recruiting one of the nation's top athletes, five-star Arik Gilbert out of Marietta, Ga. The 6-foot-5 253-pound junior, ranked as the No. 10 overall prospect in the nation, recently shared of his plans to visit Aggieland over Spring Break, along with LSU and Oklahoma as well. The trip, which will take place during the first week of April, will be Gilbert's first to College Station. At the Atlanta Opening regional camp, he shared what he is looking for during the visit.

"Just to talk to the coaches and see the school," Gilbert said of A&M. "I've never been there, obviously, it's on the West Coast (or at least further West than many schools recruiting him)." Gilbert, who plays both tight end defensive end, is being recruited on offense by the Aggies. He definitely took notice of the play of All-American Jace Sternberger this past season. "The way they used their tight end last year, that really interests me," Gilbert said of the big draw of A&M. "I talk to coach Jimbo and then coach Finley down there."

When talking with Jimbo Fisher, Gilbert says the Aggie head coach makes sure to stress how he is known for using the tight end. "Just that I could come in and play just like the last tight end did," Gilbert said of Fisher's pitch to him. "My game will fit right into the system, basically." Though he is from Georgia, Gilbert says geography will not play a huge factor. His mother is important in his recruitment but is fine with him going anywhere. "She definitely informs me on what to look for in schools," he said. "So, in that regards, she's important. But, as far as staying close, she says she'll come with me wherever I go, so it's not a factor."

As for a commitment, Gilbert has a general timeframe in mind. "Probably before next season, or during next season at the beginning," he said. To be able to be ready have a decision at that time, he would likely have to use his official visits early. "Probably so," he said of taking spring and summer officials. "I'm trying to get Alabama but I don't have anything else after that." As a junior, Gilbert caught 88 passes for 1,210 yards and 14 touchdowns.

30 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I like how Tarp is quietly managing expectations on a few players. Wright might need a couple more years? Hunter might be too big for a DE? Foster has been there a year and still not a great passer?

Do you mean to tell me that a guy who was 6'4, 290 coming out of HS is too big for DE? Well, I am just shocked.  Not to mention, Hunter isn't that good anyways. He started out as the #166 player in the country because he was bigger and stronger than everyone else. As other guys his age caught up to him, people realized he wasn't that good anymore and he steadily dropped to #330. The only reason he even remained a 4 star is because he started so high in the rankings. This is also the reason why aggy was able to land him late in the cycle, because the good programs closer to home realized he wasn't that good and backed off. 

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Do you mean to tell me that a guy who was 6'4, 290 coming out of HS is too big for DE? Well, I am just shocked.  Not to mention, Hunter isn't that good anyways. He started out as the #166 player in the country because he was bigger and stronger than everyone else. As other guys his age caught up to him, people realized he wasn't that good anymore and he steadily dropped to #330. The only reason he even remained a 4 star is because he started so high in the rankings. This is also the reason why aggy was able to land him late in the cycle, because the good programs closer to home realized he wasn't that good and backed off. 

It's really worse than that. His ranking came from his hype as a Soph when he was an extremely disruptive/quick guy in limited action with good upside potential. Instead he gained over 45 pounds of weight between his FR and SO season and in the process lost any and all quickness he may have had. He had terrible grades and was cut loose from an earlier commitment to Miami because they didn't think he'd be able to make it in, even though he had 2 years to fix it. He had 1 sack and 6 TFLs his entire junior season and by then was simply coasting off of his Soph hype. He continued to balloon and the in-state schools basically just stopped recruiting him (including FSU where he was "committed") -- he showed up at camps and turned out horrific numbers (5.39 40 -- 5.16 shuttle -- 25 inch vertical) and was a drama seeker/pain in the ass to boot. But Lucci and Tarp (via Perroni) are now having to backtrack the consistent Aggy recruiting refrain of "if he had been in Texas he'd be a borderline 5 star" takes they had about him during the recruiting cycle. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

So how many players do they still need to transfer out by August?

They’ve already had a bunch. I think they need 4 now? Ballpark 

What’s going to be harder is getting ride of 13 by next August to take a class of 20 

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

So how many players do they still need to transfer out by August?

I got them at 86 now, which doesn't include Mowry or Ellison. What really hurts them is 7 SRs and a handful of JRs that might leave early for the draft. 2021 could really be a big class numbers wise for them, as they currently have around 28 scholarships tied to their JR class.

6 hours ago, texifornia said:

D2eQOvIXgAAY-bI.jpgD2eQPqZWwAExJh9.png

Except that Cook wasn't a Gator lock and he committed three times before signing with FSU. MeeMaw talking out her ass again but Aggy is none the wiser.

Recruiting landscape was also much different.

Edited by TBGFL

now they are going to "build a fence around Texas?" right after begging the SEC to waltz into Texas?

we want them on that wall.....

we NEEED them on that wall.....

btw...wasn't there some infamous aggy "fence" shit going on about 10 years ago with some aggy core dork in Kingwood or one of those places replete with photographic evidence of some aggy lunatic tearing down his own divider fence so as to displapy his red ass to his sip neighbor?

wasn't that a thing once?  it happened around listeater time, and was absorbed by the enormity of that, but it was still a thing....I think. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TtomTerrific said:

now they are going to "build a fence around Texas?" right after begging the SEC to waltz into Texas?

we want them on that wall.....

we NEEED them on that wall.....

btw...wasn't there some infamous aggy "fence" shit going on about 10 years ago with some aggy core dork in Kingwood or one of those places replete with photographic evidence of some aggy lunatic tearing down his own divider fence so as to displapy his red ass to his sip neighbor?

wasn't that a thing once?  it happened around listeater time, and was absorbed by the enormity of that, but it was still a thing....I think. 

Yeah, I would also like a refresh on Listeater. I know her image and it makes me laugh, but I forgot the exact circumstances but remember it being beyond absurd and hilarious.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Lulz this thread just started yesterday.

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3027514

Less than 2 hours before he decommitted: 

"Love the ability of Jimbo's staff to evaluate talent, I don't see this kid wavering - seems rock solid to A&M."

Everybody should know that LA kids don't spurn LSU (unless it's Bama). We were sweating bullets with Warren last year for a reason. And hell, Michael Williams transferred to walk on there. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, I would also like a refresh on Listeater. I know her image and it makes me laugh, but I forgot the exact circumstances but remember it being beyond absurd and hilarious.

https://www.goodbullhunting.com/2016/12/9/13848480/aggie-flashback-the-listeater-saga-dec-9-2004-texas-a-m-tennessee-fran-donuts-cotton-bowl