Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

Talked to an aggy buddy and he said Joseph was “nothing special”. Normally I would say he was downplaying because it’s Texas but pretty sure it’s accurate. This is the first real meh hire to me

Two things: 

1. I couldn't give any fewer fucks about what your aggy friend thinks.

2. We don't even really know what he'll be doing here yet.  If he's coaching Safeties, drawing up defensive gameplans, and recruiting Louisiana - does it matter what he did at CB coach in fucking college station?

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, Giggles said:

For offense staff, all Alabama except for RB coach?  So little noise. Makes a case for DC too

We still don't know the TE coach.  Its possible Banks is waiting until after the title game to really make up his mind - but that seems unlikely.

That said - there have been no other candidates for that position really talked about.

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If you’re going to a 3-3-5 as suspected You’d want the DB coaches to be split. 

fingers still crossed for the following

Joseph - Safeties

Raymond - Corners and Nickel

I still wouldn’t be shocked if Gideon was special teams and nickel

1 minute ago, Giggles said:

If all offense from AL, then Wiggins should be the next confirmation.  Assuming they have perfectly controlled  timing 

I don't think we'll get anymore of the Alabama guys named until after the title game.  I think they'll keep it pretty locked down.  Now we might stop hearing about other WR coaches - but I think they'll respect Saban's wish that they keep focused on the game (at least publicly).   

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Why would you kick your dog?  Those are pretty damn good hires.

14 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Why would you kick your dog? That's a really good partial staff

This. $9.95ers do programs no favors by naming every dream candidate that the new head coach has ever had a conversation with as possible hires for his staff. 

None of the confirmed or rumored hires are anything like the small time scrubs/comfort hires that Strong and Herman brought over for their initial staffs. 

We are at a place somehow where people are going to panic if we hire Alabama’s newly minted national championship winning DC in a few days. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

I still wouldn’t be shocked if Gideon was special teams and nickel

I agree - if Sark is as big a proponent of 3-3-5 as some have posted/reported - it doesn't seem outrageous to have Gideon as Nickel/ST, Joseph as safeties, and a DB coach to go with a DL coach and a LB coach.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Two things: 

1. I couldn't give any fewer fucks about what your aggy friend thinks.

2. We don't even really know what he'll be doing here yet.  If he's coaching Safeties, drawing up defensive gameplans, and recruiting Louisiana - does it matter what he did at CB coach in fucking college station?

1. Same but he is VERY close to the aggy program and I trust him implicitly...as sad as that is

2. agreed, the fact that he didn’t say that he was downright bad like he would shit on most hires leaves me feeling ok about it

23 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Another interesting connection.  Bo Davis was DL coach with Pete Golding at UTSA in 2017.  This DC could still go several different ways but the options are narrowing.   One thing seems for sure.  Sark is not going to interview random people he does not know or his friends do not know.  

I'm thinkin' Kevin Bacon

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Are you familiar with advanced stats?  The ones that take quality of opponent into consideration?

Yeah and advanced stats don't do a fucking thing to show us whether a DC is capable of coming up with a plan that can stop a passing attack like OU. Nor does it show whether a DC can adjust their scheme on a regular basis because they are facing a handful of solid offensive coaches a year that will exploit them if they just do the same thing vs Cal where you play like one damn team that doesn't blow gaping assholes on offense an entire season. That isn't even getting into the still-subjective nature by which quality of opponent is even assigned in the first place for those advanced metrics as there is a fundamental lack of cross-conference play that would be required to accurately gauge such a thing on a regular year-to-year basis. Even going beyond all of that I still point out that Sirmon is the third damn guy in the pecking order on that defense and elevating someone from third in command of the defense to Cal to running the show at Texas would be an absurdly questionable hire. Not that I think it will happen.

From Nahlin:

A little more on Terry Joseph, who couldn’t close Kris Boyd for A&M (@stringsays).

From our buddy Jamie Uyeyama who covers Notre Dame for Irish Sports Daily and understands football better than any Canadian I know.

”Think TJ will work out well for you guys. He gets in on some kids about to blow up in Louisiana early. Just can’t get those guys to ND. Bet you’ll take some.” 

It seems like they’ll pair him with someone, maybe Corey Raymond.

”If they do, it’s a wrap because you know he can recruit his ass off.” 

Back to Jospeh.

”Good coach, can handle S or CB. His guys are solid all around.” 

We’ve heard Sarkisian wants a bunch of recruiters surrounded by sound coaches. Joseph is a sound coach and solid recruiter. This works out best if he’s the sound coach at DB.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

From Nahlin:

A little more on Terry Joseph, who couldn’t close Kris Boyd for A&M (@stringsays).

From our buddy Jamie Uyeyama who covers Notre Dame for Irish Sports Daily and understands football better than any Canadian I know.

”Think TJ will work out well for you guys. He gets in on some kids about to blow up in Louisiana early. Just can’t get those guys to ND. Bet you’ll take some.” 

It seems like they’ll pair him with someone, maybe Corey Raymond.

”If they do, it’s a wrap because you know he can recruit his ass off.” 

Back to Jospeh.

”Good coach, can handle S or CB. His guys are solid all around.” 

We’ve heard Sarkisian wants a bunch of recruiters surrounded by sound coaches. Joseph is a sound coach and solid recruiter. This works out best if he’s the sound coach at DB.

This update makes it sound like Joseph would be more of the technical coach and that they'd pair him with a rain-maker recruiter.

23 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

We still don't know the TE coach.  Its possible Banks is waiting until after the title game to really make up his mind - but that seems unlikely.

That said - there have been no other candidates for that position really talked about.

We don’t need a TE coach. Brewer is a lunch pale coach on the field kinda guy.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

34 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Talked to an aggy buddy and he said Joseph was “nothing special”. Normally I would say he was downplaying because it’s Texas but pretty sure it’s accurate. This is the first real meh hire to me

Because coaches can't get better? According to the article several schools were after him. A lot of defensive coaches have been meh under Sumlin because he doesn't stress it.