Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The revisionist history on the 2022 DL class is great. Bledsoe and Ross were ranked as the #2 and #3 DL in Texas that year. We beat out Ole Miss and Miss State for Bryant.

Maybe it wasn’t the ideal class due to not knowing where Bledose’s body was going to go, but how were we supposed to know Kris Ross would be the one of the few DL ever who needed to gain 30 pounds and decided to lose 30 pounds instead?

Also, love all this being discussed and debated on a day where we are about to land a DT from Louisiana that multiple SEC programs wanted.

BECAUSE OF THE SINS OF 2022

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

What a load of fucking horseshit, and a weak effort at twisting words to suit your purpose. Fortunately, two can play that game:

So you're saying that you had Zac Swanson pegged as a 1st round draft pick? Hey guys, look at this guy, he thought Zac Swanson was a first round draft pick. 

If you're going to put words in someone's mouth, at least try to make it funny. Now, was Swanson a bad take? Not really, sometimes you need to take bodies. He was literally the last guy in the class, statistically how often do those guys pan out? This is a recuriting forum, the idea is we have the balls to critique and debate recruits, all while being realistic about where we think they end up. We're you standing on a table screaming that Larry Turner Gooden is likely a bad fucking take becuase the guy is probably never going to play an important snap at Texas? Or we should have saved the scholarship? I mean, exactly what is your fucking point there?

Your efforts to spin this as "I'm just agreeing with the coaches" is pretty funny. You have stated that the recruiting is poor, full stop, the end. I think recruiting at the position has been fine, impressive considering the circumstances the program was facing. Would we like some more depth? Sure. But the roster position as it stands is strong, and if we hit on our IDL targets this cycle, which looks pretty fucking likely, it will remain strong. So what exactly is the problem? And lets not pretend you know the minds of the coaches. I don't know if you've noticed, but they seem pretty fucking pleased with the roster and the team in general. 

And they plugged the leaks and only let out what they want aired to the public.  So unless he's in the room with the coaches, he doesn't know shit.

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The revisionist history on the 2022 DL class is great. Bledsoe and Ross were ranked as the #2 and #3 DL in Texas that year. We beat out Ole Miss and Miss State for Bryant.

Maybe it wasn’t the ideal class due to not knowing where Bledose’s body was going to go, but how were we supposed to know Kris Ross would be the one of the few DL ever who needed to gain 30 pounds and decided to lose 30 pounds instead?

Also, love all this being discussed and debated on a day where we are about to land a DT from Louisiana that multiple SEC programs wanted.

The staff just took a portal kid. They are taking an over-sized class at DT. You dont do that, if you are happy with the last 3 years of recruiting at a position. it is really that simple. 

• Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Ian Boyd: Evaluating heights and weights on the 2023 Texas roster

Jaray Bledsoe and Zac Swanson are moving up to where they could hold up inside with Bledsoe now 274 and Swanson 270.

Weirdly relevant to the only barely on topic posts in this thread today. Also surprisingly good news - I doubt they can put on enough weight to be contributors at IDL by September, but by next season (when we really need them) they could be in ready to rock. 

9 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

The staff just took a portal kid. They are taking an over-sized class at DT. You dont do that, if you are happy with the last 3 years of recruiting at a position. it is really that simple. 

We just took a portal WR. Has our recruiting at WR been shit? Shit we’ve taking at least 1 a year since Sark got here. Hall, Neyor, Milton, Mitchell, who else? You just don’t take transfers and stockpile talent when you’re happy with your talent. It really is that simple. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

We just took a portal WR. Has our recruiting at WR been shit?

When?  Who?  What did I miss?

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What’s Gerry’s note on McKinley?

Apparently, McKinley is concerned about the numbers at the position. He doesn’t want to get squeezed out. Also, he can’t keep on good weight, isn’t impressed with our recent recruiting on the line, and doesn’t think he can be showcased leading such a shitastic group. Lastly, it sounds like he got lost somewhere around Silsbee, because no one knows where it actually is. 

Basically, Gerry stated the situation is not gouda, but it’s all still fluid. 

That’ll be 9.95. 

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I think one of my favorite things about the recruiting board is watching Sydney and CTJ trying to wrangle the cats and put the toothpaste back in the tube once this thread goes off the rails. It is like a symphony of destruction wrapped in a melange of mean tweets. Feelings are hurt, pussies are rubbed, ignore buttons are pressed, but most importantly we know that it is not necessarily the diamonds, but the jewelry stores we visited along the way.  

At least 1/3 of the time Sydney is the one who opened the bag/squeezed the toothpaste.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

We just took a portal WR. Has our recruiting at WR been shit?

Herman was famous for his terrible WR takes, so Sark came into a sketchy room.  Up until last year is has been pretty shitty, outside of Worthy. I believe they took 5 guys the first 2 years and 3 are already out of the program. 

5 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Apparently, McKinley is concerned about the numbers at the position. He doesn’t want to get squeezed out. Also, he can’t keep on good weight, isn’t impressed with our recent recruiting on the line, and doesn’t think he can be showcased leading such a shitastic group. Lastly, it sounds like he got lost somewhere around Silsbee, because no one knows where it actually is. 

Basically, Gerry stated the situation is not gouda, but it’s all still fluid. 

That’ll be 9.95. 

Marvel Studios Reaction GIF by Disney+

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Herman was famous for his terrible WR takes, so Sark came into a sketchy room.  Up until last year is has been pretty shitty, outside of Worthy. I believe they took 5 guys the first 2 years and 3 are already out of the program. 

Oh, I see. So it’s ok for a staff to have excuses for unfucking a position group due to unforeseen circumstances, just not at DT. Got it. But more specifically you ARE saying WR recruiting has been shitty under Sark, correct? 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Oh, I see. So it’s ok for a staff to have excuses for unfucking a position group due to unforeseen circumstances, just not at DT. Got it. But more specifically you ARE saying WR recruiting has been shitty under Sark, correct? 

So your not arguing against my statement that DT recruiting has been poor, you are arguing that there were unforeseen circumstances that were the cause?? Do I have that correct? 

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

So your not arguing against my statement that DT recruiting has been poor, you are arguing that there were unforeseen circumstances that were the cause?? Do I have that correct? 

You two idiots have fully lost the narrative at this point.  Good grief. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I see you didn’t answer my question first. But I’ll answer yours. Since I don’t live in a black and white world, recruiting at a position can still be good, great even, relative to the circumstances of a program, but still need improvement or occasional tweaking through things like a transfer portal, or waiting for circumstances to change, like conferences, or the implementation of NIL. the two things aren’t mutually exclusive. Especially if one is trying to build a Championship roster.  

another example might be, if DJ Durkin killed 2 of his DTs during summer workouts, and they need to take 4 in the next cycle, does that mean Elijah Robonson’s recruiting was a dumpster fire?

The same way I think a coach could be a good recruiter at a small school, despite never having landed a five star player. 

a coach should always be tweaking or improving the roster, and circumstances change and they might have to load up some years versus others. It’s called managing a roster, and it doesn’t mean recruiting at a position has been “poor.”

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Show me the way to go
I'm tired and I wanna go to bed
I had a little drink about an hour ago
And it's gone straight to my head

Wherever I may roam on land or sea or form
You can always hear me singing a song
Show me the way to your home

Wherever I may roam on land or sea or form
Well, he can always hear me singing a song
Show me a way in your home i gotta go home
Just point me home

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Gooden was a guy we recruited all cycle, and he was fine enough of a take, particularly for where we were as a program. The funny part was that as Sark got his legs under him, he went during the same cycle as a guy we really wanted, to a guy on the lower end of the talent perspective. By the end of the class, he was not as big a priority, but he was at the outset. As has been illustrated here, it's almost like circumstances began to change and we were able to recruit better talent at the position than we could previously. 

no doubt.  success story how that played out. 

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls