Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

16 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Different positions or not - we aren't loading up on wide receivers. We have commits from Freddie and Livingston, and we have Hampton. We have more pressing needs, especially when one considers WR is a position that can easily be filled by transfers anyway.

The portal has taken away my ability to have strong feelings on WR recruiting. There are always solid WRs in the portal. I would argue it is the easiest position to find in the portal. Tackle is where Texas needs to finish strong (offensive and defensive)

Edited by Codaxx

24 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

So at this point the class will be defined by how many we land from: black, Simmons, wingo , and baker?

Is that about right and where the focus really lies? Secondary to that is available 4*s still out there and then re-rankings of players as they go through their senior season?

DL is waiting on McKinley and TJ Lindsey and Robinson. LB could go unfilled. DE is waiting on Simmons and Okoye and Zina. At DB we have Wilson and JJR and are waiting on Black and Gipson and Mack. LB may go unfilled if we can't get in on an elite guy late in the season.

On offense we are filled at RB and QB with Owens, Clark, and Gibson. We are waiting on WIngo at WR. We have Washington at TE. We have Kibble at guard and Cruz at Center. We have to have a tackle so we are all in on Baker. My guess is we are waiting on Ivy and Carter but are also probably looking at who develops and who we might be able to get in on late for the remaining OL spots. And if an elite TE contacts us late, I am sure we would bring them in also.

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Waiting to see how much playing time Neto gets? I doubt it though because his family was reportedly big on education.

They also added that Texas was very much okay with it stretching into the season. I bet they are equally as curious about how Zina looks as a senior, because as a junior he looked very meh.

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

They also added that Texas was very much okay with it stretching into the season. I bet they are equally as curious about how Zina looks as a senior, because as a junior he looked very meh.

Have to think that Collins and Okoye are 1 and 2 with Zina setting the floor.

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

Have to think that Collins and Okoye are 1 and 2 with Zina setting the floor.

By Collins I'm assuming you mean Colin Simmons? Him and Okoye are obviously recruit through the whistle guys but we need another quality option or two to emerge outside of those two.

We need a floor setter, but I'm not sure Zina is the type of floor setter we need. Also, IT said they feel Tennessee leads for Okoye and a decision might come sooner than people think (believe he's talked about stretching it into the season).

• Hook 'Em 1

VIP intel on OL recruiting, upcoming 2025 visitor

Hank South

Spoiler

VIP intel on OL recruiting, upcoming 2025 visitor

Hank South

There's a little break in the action between Texas target commitment dates, but there's still no shortage of Longhorns football recruiting news. Here's the latest on the offensive and defensive line fronts, as well as a note on an upcoming 2025 visitor. 

— Texas added a pair of interior linemen to its 2024 recruiting class in the last month, earning commitments from guard Nate Kibble and center Daniel Cruz. The Longhorns have been in the mix for other interior linemen this cycle, but sources tells Horns247 it’s not clear whether the staff will pursue adding a third prospect at the position. That brings into question guys like Eugene Brooks, who was considered a Texas lean at one point. Now it appears he may be looking elsewhere, possibly Oklahoma. Another prospect in DeAndre Carter is eyeing an official visit to Austin in the fall. That’s still on for now, and perhaps there will be more clarity numbers-wise by then, but for now don’t expect another interior lineman to pop for UT anytime soon.

Editor's note: Updated to reflect Williams holding an offer from Texas already 

— That doesn’t include the tackle position, though, as Texas continues to heavily pursue five-star California native Brandon Baker, who OV’ed the Forty Acres in June. As Horns247 has reported, things appear shaping up to be a Texas-Ohio State-Oregon battle for the elite lineman. Other tackles that have been in play include Blake Ivy, who’s trending towards Texas A&M at the moment. One name that’s popped up of late that received an offer earlier on is San Marcos (Texas) product Ory Williams. He tells Horns247 contact with the UT staff has picked up recently. Williams trekked to Florida, LSU, Oklahoma State, and Texas A&M thus far for his official visit slate. We’ll see if things progress with Texas.

— The other night four-star wide receiver and another Mater Dei standout in Marcus Harris announced he’ll be visiting Austin on July 25 when the Dead Period lifts. Of note, he’ll be joined by teammate Jordon Davison, the No. 1 2025 running back in the country. Back to Harris, though, we’re told that while it’s early Texas is sitting in good position for the 2025 prospect. The 6-foot-1, 175-pounder has his fair share of suitors (he’ll also visit Oklahoma on this Big 12/SEC swing), but the Longhorns appear is good standing as we sit here ahead of his junior season.

— Last but not least, D'antre Robinson moved his commitment date up by one day to July 20. Texas has been trending the last couple of weeks for the hulking 6-foot-4, 300-pounder, with Florida considered the main competition. The Gators are still pressing to keep Robinson home, so it’s a battle worth monitoring the next six days. Obviously Robinson is a priority for Texas and is being treated as such, but UF is not just throwing in the towel.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

By Collins I'm assuming you mean Colin Simmons? Him and Okoye are obviously recruit through the whistle guys but we need another quality option or two to emerge outside of those two.

We need a floor setter, but I'm not sure Zina is the type of floor setter we need. Also, IT said they feel Tennessee leads for Okoye and a decision might come sooner than people think (believe he's talked about stretching it into the season).

Yes, my bad. Slow Friday. I dont think EDGE is really in that bad of a position. There is some solid young potential there. Might just need some time to marinate. Feel like the need is for some high ceiling players on the EDGE

Edited by Codaxx

I guess I said this on the aggie thread the other day and not here, but Texas isn’t spending any energy on Bussey after landing Hampton. 

Sounds like Myles Davis has a redass aggie father figure in his camp that helped guide his decision making. The player was all USC one point and that got nipped in the bud. Davis had an interest in Texas but his guy didn’t. 

Because Texas sees Baker as a RT, seems like they’re going to stay on any option that could be a LT and a low energy recruitment if Texas has an awesome season. 

For the EDGE worriers, Nigel Smith is still on track to visit in the season. Seems like Omeozulu has always been a guy that Texas will take if they have to, but they’re happy to let him drag it out and ponder things. I don’t think the dude is a P5 starter-level talent, personally. 

• Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Sounds like Myles Davis has a redass aggie father figure in his camp that helped guide his decision making. The player was all USC one point and that got nipped in the bud. Davis had an interest in Texas but his guy didn’t. 

His youth football coach. Whatever that means 

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Because Texas sees Baker as a RT, seems like they’re going to stay on any option that could be a LT and a low energy recruitment if Texas has an awesome season. 

I do want us to try to flip Weston Davis from aTm. I like his film a lot and I know Gerry has mentioned it as a possibility too.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Do we really care where players we aren't seriously tied to recruiting end up committing just because at some point we took a flyer on them by giving out an offer??  Maybe its just me but I could care less.

I like seeing how accurate our offers are in terms of P5/blueblood ability, and I like breaking up the board's 1000000th identical conversations about our most horrifying losses or the Mack Brown coaching staff.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Mason Ramsey said:

I do want us to try to flip Weston Davis from aTm. I like his film a lot and I know Gerry has mentioned it as a possibility too.

That one is going to be tough imho. 

Davis, Miller, and Smith all from SETX and have gotten very close. I’m interested to see why Gerry has so much confidence Weston Davis doesn’t stick to A&M 

The portal has taken away my ability to have strong feelings on WR recruiting. There are always solid WRs in the portal. I would argue it is the easiest position to find in the portal. Tackle is where Texas needs to finish strong (offensive and defensive)

It’s also the position that determines a lot of “this class finished top #5” or whatever, bc that position gets a lot of high rated players, so you need them to have a ‘top’ class. Funny you need the most replaceable position to land a top class.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TexasRenegade said:

Do we really care where players we aren't seriously tied to recruiting end up committing just because at some point we took a flyer on them by giving out an offer??  Maybe its just me but I could care less.

1 hour ago, Lou_Sassle said:

How much less could you care? 

I laughed.

52 minutes ago, kwood4408 said:

It was happening before that I believe as I know there were a couple prior to Leal. One was Alton Robinson but not sure he ever played as he got arrested after signing with them.

Robinson went to Syracuse and became a 5th round pick. He is in the NFL now 

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls