Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The fuck is going on at Mizzou?  Seen them in the thick of more national level recruits in the last week than in the last decade combined.

It’s just local Missouri kids, and they have like 3 5 stars this year

13 minutes ago, Sal said:

As much as I like Gerry and Bobby, IT has a pretty bad track record on prognostication at this point.  

Gerry has been stating rather clearly for a month that Mack likes UF. That was based on interviewing the guy at his school. I don't see how Mack picking UF is misaligned to that representation. I can't speak for the rest of IT, mostly because I don't really read their updates. For the most part, Nahlin is ignorable. He's not guessing any better than people here, and he's usually more emotionally involved with a recruitment than we are.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The fuck is going on at Mizzou?  Seen them in the thick of more national level recruits in the last week than in the last decade combined.

The QB situation at Mizzou has been beyond terrible since that goof Drinkwitz arrived and it doesn't appear to look any better going forward.  If Wingo picks them knowing what each QB room has, then he wanted to stay closer to home.

47 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

He will decommit once that dog shit team goes 6-6

Outside of McNeese, Charlotte, and maybe Vandy, I wouldn't bet on them in any games.  They are rolling with Graham Mertz at QB.

Is Rising going to start in 3 weeks?  The backup who had been getting 1st team reps just got injured and is out.

1 hour ago, walker said:

Surprised that Raymond got 4 CBs last year (a few that were pretty highly touted).   And this year, they already had 2 committed before Mack and are still in the running for 2 more top CBs in FL.

why are you surprised that the best CB coach/recruiter in the country got a bunch of highly rated recruits?

corey-raymond-2.jpg

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 3

41 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

This new law may have something to do with it:

https://www.on3.com/nil/news/missouri-nil-law-allows-high-schoolers-to-get-paid-as-soon-they-sign-with-in-state-school/

• Hook 'Em 1

Sucks missing on Corian, Bridges, and Mack, but this can still be a really good DB haul with Black.  I'd assume we will still try to get one more ( unless Hampton is a DB? ).

IMO, Wilson is just as good as the three missed on.  On3 has him a top 100 player in the nation, but everyone else has him as high 3*/4*.  Not sure on the reasoning??  Kids got the NFL genes and the dawg' in him in the same way Brooks is.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Gerry has been stating rather clearly for a month that Mack likes UF. That was based on interviewing the guy at his school. I don't see how Mack picking UF is misaligned to that representation. I can't speak for the rest of IT, mostly because I don't really read their updates. For the most part, Nahlin is ignorable. He's not guessing any better than people here, and he's usually more emotionally involved with a recruitment than we are.

challenge accepted

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Elite LB target Jordan Ross details where Texas stands in recruitment

Hank South (Horns 247)

Spoiler

Elite LB target Jordan Ross details where Texas stands in recruitment

Hank South (Horns 247)

It’s been quiet on the Jordan Ross front since the 247Sports five-star edge rusher officially visited Texas back in the summer. The Birmingham (Ala.) Vestavia Hills product keeps up with the Longhorns staff fairly frequently, though.

“I’ve heard a lot,” Ross told Horns247 of the latest with the Longhorns. “When I went down for my OV I absolutely loved Texas. I had a great time down there.”

It’s no surprise that a Yellowhammer State native served as Ross’ host during his time in Austin.

“I’d say like talking to one of the football players from Texas, who was originally from Birmingham, Alabama — Justice Finkley,” Ross said of OV highlights. “He tells me how it’s a great program, how they can develop me, and how Austin is just a great city in general.”

Ross wants to get back to the Forty Acres this fall.

“I haven’t really looked at anyone’s games,” he said. “I plan to go down there and watch a game. That’s kind of on my agenda. I haven’t figured out which one I want to go to.”

Ross says the main coach he’s been in contact with of late from Texas is the head man Steve Sarkisian.

“They’re like we have a great program,” Ross said of the staff’s pitch. “Like Justice said. We can develop you and we would love for you to be here. There’s a lot of opportunities here for you to be great.”

Ross recently hinted at making a decision soon on Twitter. He shared the latest on when that might come.

“I’m still thinking about it,” he said. “But I’m pretty sure what I want. I haven’t set a day or anything, but I’m pretty sure I’ve got it down. It’s still a little secret.”

Ross’ last move was a top eight that included the Longhorns, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Oregon, Tennessee, and USC.

Ross says he’ll likely trim down his list one more time before committing.

“I can’t really say too much but I can say Texas is really in there,” he said. “Texas is like top three right now.”

Why could the elite edge see himself in Burnt Orange?

“I’d say seeing how Justice played out and seeing how he got on the field so early,” Ross said. “I saw some of his highlights. I’m not really seeing that position there as full. I think they have a low depth chart. There aren’t too many players at that position.”

At 6-foot-4, 230 pounds, Ross is ranked the No. 4 edge rusher and the No. 36 overall prospect in the country, per the 247Sports Composite Rankings. 247Sports rates Ross the No. 2 edge rusher and No. 12 overall player in America.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, NoName said:

why are you surprised that the best CB coach/recruiter in the country got a bunch of highly rated recruits?

corey-raymond-2.jpg

with NIL being a thing now.. this seems like poor roster management.   and I dont think a 1-1-9 defense is gonna work out that well

16 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Anyone surprised by Mack committing to UF hasn't been paying attention.

I was surprised. Not shocked, but surprised. I wanted him to come to Texas even if I knew that he was thinking Florida. No one else is in his corner regarding that pick. Some wanted LSU and some wanted Texas. 

12 minutes ago, walker said:

So Eric is saying that Mack is scared to compete w Kobe Black?  Its ok to say we got beat and he like FL more.  This isnt the loochador podcast

Nahlin apparently has an amazingly condescending (even by his standards) article up about the DB depth. Someone needs to post it.

11 minutes ago, walker said:

So Eric is saying that Mack is scared to compete w Kobe Black?  Its ok to say we got beat and he like FL more.  This isnt the loochador podcast

Ryan Watts will be gone next year, but the defensive backfield is definitely filled with stud sophomores, RS freshmen, and true freshmen. Manny looks like he is already in the two deep behind Watts. Its formidable competition. He possibly wouldn't even see action until an offense goes five wide his second year.

CHIEF

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Nahlin apparently has an amazingly condescending (even by his standards) article up about the DB depth. Someone needs to post it.

Louisiana cornerback Wardell Mack selected Florida this morning. The destination wasn’t a big surprise, and we figured he’d announce in August, but the announcement did come with zero notice. With his commitment to the Gators, it gives us a good chance to analyze Texas’ numbers and needs at the position. 

Long-time readers of Inside Texas know the importance of landing cornerbacks is heightened at UT because of how the staff utilizes the position. Nickel, or Star as the staff calls it, is essentially a third cornerback.  

Thus far the staff has done very well stocking the shelves. That makes it pretty bizarre to see such consternation on Mack going elsewhere. Though, in conjunction with missing on Corian Gipson, it might appear the staff’s back is against the wall. That can be a good thing, like it is with defensive lineman Dominick McKinley.

The people who tend to get too high and too low are definitely doing what they do. But that just means they’re one Kobe Black announcement away from rubber-banding in the opposite direction. Side note: Did you know the highest and lowest points in the contiguous 48 states are 80 miles apart? On IT it’s just one klick.

When looking at the remaining years of eligibility on the current roster, there’s no reason for concern. There’s also still a lot of cycle left and you can be assured Texas will stay on both Gipson and Mack.

CURRENT PLAYERS

Senior Jahdae Barron: He’ll be off the NFL after this season. Once the media catches on to how good he is the staff will have a very good ‘proof of concept’ at Star.  

Senior Ryan Watts: This is his last year at Texas. He’ll get NFL looks, too. The staff landed him from Ohio State out of the portal. Ah yes, the portal.

Junior Gavin Holmes: One year of eligibility after this year. Another portal get. He’s a proven, quality player, and he could very well be CB No. 4 this year. 

Sophomore Terrance Brooks: Two years of eligibility after this season. Likely starter. Likely very good by season’s end.

Sophomore Austin Jordan: Two years of eligibility after this year. Quality player who could start this year at nickel or corner but given the roster he’s CB No. 5 and nickel No. 3. 

Sophomore Jaylon Guilbeau: Two years of eligibility after this year. Quality player who will be Barron’s primary backup. 

Redshirt freshman X’avion Brice: He likely will never be a star at Texas but he’s certainly not out of place.

Freshman Malik Muhammad: Three years of eligibility after this year. There’s a very good chance he starts in 2024 opposite Brooks. He’s going to be good.

Freshman Warren Roberson: Three years of eligibility this year (assuming he doesn’t redshirt). He’s more of a nickel but has also worked at corner.

COMMITTED

Senior Santana Wilson: Stud, could play corner or nickel. High floor, high ceiling. 

KEY TARGET

Senior Kobe Black: Stud. The must-get from Waco has been sold on immediately competing for Watts’ vacated corner role in 2024. He’d play a lot as a true freshman regardless.

CLOSING

Don’t get me wrong, you don’t want to miss on corners like Gipson and Mack. In particular, I liked their ability to fit multiple roles. But, if Texas lands Black to go with Wilson, this is still the best corner class Texas has landed under this staff.

Gaming it out a year or two, Texas is in an enviable position of having Brooks and Muhammad as two high end corners with talented players directly behind them. If Brooks becomes a three-year player, what do you think that will do for recruiting?

It’s not just corner, nickel is also in a good position for the foreseeable future with Guilbeau, Jordan, and Roberson. The youngest player, Roberson, probably has the most athletic upside.

Texas doesn’t ‘need’ more than two corners this cycle, assuming those two are Wilson and Black. However, I’d still bet on the staff signing three just because they can.

• Hook 'Em 4

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I was surprised. Not shocked, but surprised. I wanted him to come to Texas even if I knew that he was thinking Florida. No one else is in his corner regarding that pick. Some wanted LSU and some wanted Texas. 

So, you know he was thinking Florida but you are still surprised? I can only assume you were surprised by the commitment in general because there was no preceding announcement about a commitment date. That is what I was surprised about, it was kinda out of the blue.

24 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Ryan Watts will be gone next year, but the defensive backfield is definitely filled with stud sophomores, RS freshmen, and true freshmen. Manny looks like he is already in the two deep behind Watts. Its formidable competition. He possibly wouldn't even see action until an offense goes five wide his second year.

CHIEF

Watts has a shot to wind up in the NFL, but he's currently the 4th best CB on the UT roster. He's going to "start" but the other will play more than him if they all stay healthy.

4 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

The one hire Sark didn’t try to make that still irritates me. 

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

weren't there rumors about him trying to hire Raymond @closetojumping or did i imagine that entirely?

Going off memory, it seems like Sarkisian wanted to hire him but he was told that Raymond was unlikely to pass the background/compliance review due to all of the bad shit swirling around LSU at the time. He and the recruiting coordinator who had been at UTenn with Pruitt were both more or less nixed.

• Hook 'Em 5

44 minutes ago, Getafix said:

image.thumb.png.c0004e0a9721fca8d9bf0ac20bf258d5.png

- Wesco?

- Miller?

- Kearney?

- Baker?

- Bethel-Roman?

Some highly rated receivers - all from Texas - committed to other schools.

He wouldn't even mention it if said WR hadn't ever visited, therefore, it's Gekyle Baker. We were one of his first offers, he's visited thrice, and is committed to frog. 

For context, here are WR candidates for "massive" flips who have visited Texas:

• 5* Jeremiah Smith - 1 (4/22) - fOSU
  • 4* Gekyle Baker - 3 (10/22, 1/23, 4/23) - TCU
  • 4* Dre'lon Miller - 2 (4/22 & 9/22) - aggy
  • 4* Gatlin Bair - 1 (3/23) - Boise
  • 4* Joshisa Trader - 1 (4/22) - Miami
  • 4* TJ Moore - 1 (3/23) - Clemson

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls