Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

That worked out well. Not considering Quinn the #1 player in Texas for whatever year you want to classify him as is a bit disingenuous.  A realize that doesn’t fit neatly in a box with a pretty ribbon on top.  Who was ranked higher than Banks or Hill in TX in their  classes?

The conversation is about recruiting wins, though. Not transfers. Tom Herman lost that fucking battle, we don't get credit on the back end. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

We lost his recruitinment because Tom Herman sucked and that team sucked. You can spit shine than turd and squint all you want, but he didn't enroll at Texas out of HS. 

I’m not sure I’m trying to shine it, other than to give Sark a little credit for being pretty good at recruiting elite QB prospects.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I’m not sure I’m trying to shine it, other than to give Sark a little credit for being pretty good at recruiting elite QB prospects.

Of course he's tremendous at rectuiting elite QB prospects. The proof is in the pudding. But the conversation was TEXAS #1 HS players committing to TEXAS over a period of time, and Ewers didn't commit here, and what's more when he did commit Sark wasn't even the coach at Texas, so what's your point?

15 hours ago, Enchubben said:

I’m more of a drop a couple g’s every so often kind of guy, so went ahead and dropped a couple hundred to slowly start to refill the coffers as a way of saying thank you to those that pull way more than their weight.

One I max out SS contributions next month I’ll throw some more. Thank you to the rich bastards that made #ColinBatonRouge just a funny tagline and future joke. 

Thanx for your SS contributions. Brat and I need them.

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

That worked out well. Not considering Quinn the #1 player in Texas for whatever year you want to classify him as is a bit disingenuous.  A realize that doesn’t fit neatly in a box with a pretty ribbon on top.  Who was ranked higher than Banks or Hill in TX in their  classes?

I think the point is that Sark is turning recruiting around, pointing out Quinn was also a #1 player that Sark landed as a transfer only helps that argument.  

37 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Evan Stewart and David Hicks were #1 in 22 and 23. 

12 hours ago, Mr. Mojo Risin' said:

I set my DVR to record this thread and then told all my buds at work to stay quiet about it so I could fast forward thru all the bullshit when I got home. Did you get the DVR feature for the very reasonable upcharge?

Oh you got the Bivo package? I thought that was a scam because every time I use it it just goes to the end of the thread without stopping. 

46 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I think the point is that Sark is turning recruiting around, pointing out Quinn was also a #1 player that Sark landed as a transfer only helps that argument.  

I suppose my point was that it was already turned around and heading in the right direction, and has been since his first full class.  Thrilled to land Colin, couldn’t be happier.  I just have never viewed recruiting as a problem area for Sark, and don’t think whether the various recruiting services choose to rank a QB, WR, DT, LB, OL, or EDGE as the #1 player in the state really matters all that much.  This will be the third class in a row where they have a pretty good batting average, and early returns would indicate that they are doing pretty well in the evaluation department.  They just need to win a bunch of games this season for the turnaround to be complete.

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

This was about recruiting. I simply put how long it is has been, since Texas has RECRUITED a player of Colin's ilk. Sark and Texas have done well, but dont let class rankings confuse you. Colin is a player that Texas has not been getting. He is a potential game changing talent off the edge. What's the difference between Georgia/Bama and Texas (or the rest of CFB for that matter)? It is the LOS. Those guys have been stacking 5 star recruits on the LOS. Texas hasnt had a 5 star recruit on the Defensive LOS in over a decade. You want to change the outlook of a program, you need to add 5 star QBs and D-lineman. Clemson fans would agree. Sark seems to have QB taken care of, as he should with his reputation on offense. Bringing in elite defenders is a much tougher task for Sark. I wanted to highlight how long it really has been, since Texas got a potential game changer on defense at critical position. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Of course he's tremendous at rectuiting elite QB prospects. The proof is in the pudding. But the conversation was TEXAS #1 HS players committing to TEXAS over a period of time, and Ewers didn't commit here, and what's more when he did commit Sark wasn't even the coach at Texas, so what's your point?

Well, he did. But then he said "fuck that shit, I'm going to flip to Ohio State"

29 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I suppose my point was that it was already turned around and heading in the right direction, and has been since his first full class.  Thrilled to land Colin, couldn’t be happier.  I just have never viewed recruiting as a problem area for Sark, and don’t think whether the various recruiting services choose to rank a QB, WR, DT, LB, OL, or EDGE as the #1 player in the state really matters all that much.  This will be the third class in a row where they have a pretty good batting average, and early returns would indicate that they are doing pretty well in the evaluation department.  They just need to win a bunch of games this season for the turnaround to be complete.

Everyone agrees that recruiting is headed in the right direction. We (expect to) sign the #1 overall player in Texas, which we have done only twice in the last 12 years in BJ Foster (of course the year we sign the top dude he ends up being a huge fucking bust) and 2015 in Malik Jefferson. Sark's kicking ass at recruiting.

And, sure, it doesn't matter what position the services rank as the number 1 player. But letting the top player in the state go elsewhere is not good. We need those dudes to be competitive. We gotta start locking that shit down. 

• Hook 'Em 5

On 8/10/2023 at 7:56 AM, SydneyCarton said:

The fact Mike Farell is getting his information from someone who chose to go by the handle "Ben Chode" is just...chef's kiss.

Sorry to revisit this topic, but isn't the obvious answer that Farell isn't pulling from someone named Ben Chode, but that Farell is actually Ben Chode and he's citing himself?

• Haha 3

Whether as coaches or recruiters or simply "faces of the program," Charlie and Tom were paid WAY more than they were worth, only to hold us back at the worst possible time. As it turned out, UT's administrative ineptitude cost us about a decade, and that's on top of not booting Mack once he retired without leaving the sideline.

I love what Sark has done so far to flush those lines and infuse our whole roster with better talent. We're prepping for a new era of glory. Even if our future teams don't live up to their full potential (few sports teams ever do), we finally are in position to forget those dismal years. It's high time we do. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

Not really related but your post brought to my mind something I've been trying to get Bobby Burton to expand on and he did this morning. He said this is the most talented Texas Team he has seen since 2008 except this one has more depth and talent on the O-line and WR. His point was, that team had Colt, if Quinn can make the jump, this Texas team can be really, really good.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think it’s an interesting way to show how we’ve been failing to land truly elite talent under CS and Herman. They both had some highly rated classes, but they got very few 5 stars to campus. From 2013 to 2021, we landed like 4 consensus 5 stars. Sark landed 6 in just 22 and 23 and will probably be adding another 3-4 for 24. It’s a completely different level of talent than we’ve landed since Mack’s prime. 

I haven't spent any time reviewing prospect ratings this cycle but checked the current state of the class, outstanding targets, etc, after Simmons committed. 

TH and CS were landing mid to high 4*s (93-97) with regularity, and for us, that was always an acceptable, safe bet. While neither staff effectively developed anyone, it's also fair to say that Texas hsfb overexposes guys with mediocre athleticism and enough skills training to hide their deficiencies. 

This cycle has been the opposite of that. Using the On3 composite, we have 1 mid 4* (Gibson), and with the exception of mayyyyyyyyybe Blake Ivy, we aren't even recruiting any others right now. 

'22 (we took eight) is actually a really good example of what that range of rating looks like after 18 months on the roster, especially compared with the 8 below them. It appears Sark has learned a lesson:

On3 Composite 2024 Expectations
Brooks 95.9 Probable starter
Neto 95 6th or 7th OL
Thompson 94.43 Transfer
Allen 93.87 Depth
Finkley 93.69 Depth
Tapp 93.56 3rd or 4th DE
Bledsoe 93.3 Depth
Guilbeau 93.1 Still on the team

Ross 92.29 Depth
Blue 92.25 RB3
Murphy 91.7 QB2
Jordan 91.42 2 deep
Williams 90.9 2 deep
Bryant 90.08 Depth
Burke 89.76 2nd or 3rd Edge
LTG 89.56 Depth
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think it’s an interesting way to show how we’ve been failing to land truly elite talent under CS and Herman. They both had some highly rated classes, but they got very few 5 stars to campus. From 2013 to 2021, we landed like 4 consensus 5 stars. Sark landed 6 in just 22 and 23 and will probably be adding another 3-4 for 24. It’s a completely different level of talent than we’ve landed since Mack’s prime. 

Yep. We had 5 composite 5 stars just from 2018-2021 (Sanders, Bijan, Sterns, Foster, Whittington, not including Bru), then just 2 (Darius James and Malik) from 2013-2017. Of course we had like 9 from 2010-2012, but I digress. 

3 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Yep. We had 5 composite 5 stars just from 2018-2021 (Sanders, Bijan, Sterns, Foster, Whittington, not including Bru), then just 2 (Darius James and Malik) from 2013-2017. Of course we had like 9 from 2010-2012, but I digress. 

And the other big difference is the positions Sark’s landing 5 star talent at: QB, OL, DE, LB. All of Herman’s 5 stars were skill positions and DBs, and there was a huge drop off at OL and the Front 7. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

And the other big difference is the positions Sark’s landing 5 star talent at: QB, OL, DE, LB. All of Herman’s 5 stars were skill positions and DBs, and there was a huge drop off at OL and the Front 7. 

This was the point on Colin I was making. Nice Sark is getting in more 5 stars, but this is a player Texas has not gotten in  a long time. People just need to follow the NFL. Here is good check list on positional importance. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/ranking-each-position-s-importance-from-quarterback-to-returner-0ap3000000503855

#1 QB - Quinn/Arch

#2 Designated pass rusher 1 (RDE/ROLB)- Colin

#3 LT- Banks 

#3 LCB- Brooks

4) Wide receiver - Cook

6) Defensive tackle - McKinley? 

I would argue DT should be higher in college, but going off the list Texas is bringing in talent at the critical spots.

Edited by Codaxx

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

In some ways, these classes are better than Mack's: They are much more well rounded class to class as they don't rely exclusively on what the state of Texas has available each year. And, while the wheat may be a little less choice, the chaff is almost non-existent. The class isn't full by July and has room for guys who develop over their senior seasons and Sark doesn't take flyers on guys so he can have time to golf. And finally, the classes are larger and the competition to remain on the roster is more fierce. You see much more of a GE-type system where the bottom 10% of the roster are forced out each year to make room for new blood.

26 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I haven't spent any time reviewing prospect ratings this cycle but checked the current state of the class, outstanding targets, etc, after Simmons committed. 

TH and CS were landing mid to high 4*s (93-97) with regularity, and for us, that was always an acceptable, safe bet. While neither staff effectively developed anyone, it's also fair to say that Texas hsfb overexposes guys with mediocre athleticism and enough skills training to hide their deficiencies. 

This cycle has been the opposite of that. Using the On3 composite, we have 1 mid 4* (Gibson), and with the exception of mayyyyyyyyybe Blake Ivy, we aren't even recruiting any others right now. 

'22 (we took eight) is actually a really good example of what that range of rating looks like after 18 months on the roster, especially compared with the 8 below them. It appears Sark has learned a lesson:

On3 Composite 2024 Expectations
Brooks 95.9 Probable starter
Neto 95 6th or 7th OL
Thompson 94.43 Transfer
Allen 93.87 Depth
Finkley 93.69 Depth
Tapp 93.56 3rd or 4th DE
Bledsoe 93.3 Depth
Guilbeau 93.1 Still on the team

Ross 92.29 Depth
Blue 92.25 RB3
Murphy 91.7 QB2
Jordan 91.42 2 deep
Williams 90.9 2 deep
Bryant 90.08 Depth
Burke 89.76 2nd or 3rd Edge
LTG 89.56 Depth

Someone can (and I'm sure, will) correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Finkley is running second string behind Sorrell on the strong side and Guilbeau is second string behind Barron. I expect both to be more than depth this year. Guilbeau got hurt last year but he looked like a player when he was healthy.

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls