Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

2 minutes ago, hobbs said:

Wonder if NIL was even considered by these Folger folks. 

$10 mil to the One Fund would've been useful and assume "non-salaried strategic use" does not mean NIL bags...or does it?

Once the money was given over as a trust to the Athletic Department, it would be wildly illegal to use it for NIL purposes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

If your version of being funny is running the same tired jokes into the ground then you aren't really funny. This board would be a lot better if some of you stopped trying to be comedians.

It curd be worse,  we could be talking geography. 

7 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

ATM and LSU? I thought academics were important to his mom?

When a kid or parents talk about academics, they are oftentimes thinking about academic support and the ability to get a diploma with minimal obstacles standing in the way. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, RollingPresidential said:

Ooooh lets have this discussion again!

Gerry has mentioned several times about McKinley's mom mentioning that the graduation rates have increased at Texas since Sark took over and that matters to her. I think many read or hear that and think that she cares about the professors who will be teaching her son or where the engineering school might rank. To me it just sounds like she cares about her son graduating after 3 or 4 years.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry has mentioned several times about McKinley's mom mentioning that the graduation rates have increased at Texas since Sark took over and that matters to her. I think many read or hear that and think that she cares about the professors who will be teaching her son or where the engineering school might rank. To me it just sounds like she cares about her son graduating after 3 or 4 years.  

image.jpeg.6d8f72ad8dc122b69651c38ce060bede.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

If this kid can get into Cockrell, its a little different than making sure they have tutors to get the public relations/communication guys out in 4 years.

• Hook 'Em 3

43 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Please shut the fuck up.

• Hook 'Em 4

26 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

If he can get an engineering degree in 3 years and play football he's really smart.  

Edited by Laga4
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

Can anybody speak to Lifetime Longhorn internship opportunities? I’m sure they’re awesome, but I need details. Allegedly internships/network are Venable’s only counter to UT’s academics with McKinley. Clemson has a pretty good internship program and Venables is trying to replicate it at OU (don’t laugh, Gerry said it). 

10 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Allegedly internships/network are Venable’s only counter to UT’s academics with McKinley. Clemson has a pretty good internship program and Venables is trying to replicate it at OU (don’t laugh, Gerry said it). 

The methlabs could always use another pair of hands.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Haha 1

I can help with his HW. After all
 C’s get degrees.
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry in Louisiana today at McKinley's high school. Said earlier in the thread that he didn't see OU or Ohio State currently being a threat.

Screenshot2023-08-22at3_13_20PM.png.a8e97748b8e92abe358d74321ebd6d8c.png

image.png.caf0aa4cf1c0844bcc4b97bcc1bab836.png

I’d say aggy is mildly concerning now. They’re beyond desperate, have plenty of money to work with after Simmons sidelined them, a little closer to Lafayette than Austin, and a better engineering school than LSU. 

20 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

The methlabs could always use another pair of hands.

Haha fair enough. I will say OU does a fairly good job with their Energy Commerce interns. Pretty deep Houston roots. They probably need to be at the very top of their class and possess something resembling a personality, but plenty of them catch on at majors. 

That said, I’ll let you know when I meet an OU football player interning at an O&G company. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

5 hours ago, Getafix said:

(More than the perfunctory still-in-contact article - "Davis says he “for sure” intends to be at DKR this fall for a game".)

Texas A&M commit Myles Davis still in contact with Longhorns

Hank South (Horns 247)

Reveal hidden contents

Texas A&M commit Myles Davis still in contact with Longhorns

Hank South (Horns 247)

Four-star safety Myles Davis committed to Texas A&M last month, but that hasn’t kept the Longhorns staff from maintaining pursuit of the Converse Judson standout.

“Coach Gideon, I just talked to him yesterday,” Davis told Horns247. “He’s just checking in on me seeing how I’m doing.”

Davis says he “for sure” intends to be at DKR this fall for a game. He hasn’t decided which one he’ll attend yet, though.

“They were top two, for sure,” Davis said of what keeps him interested in Texas. “It was a hard decision and one I still think about sometimes, but I have no regrets at all.

“Coach Gideon is really a good coach and being coached by him is no drop off from the standard I’m held at now. He means business and I like that.”

Davis still feels comfortable with his commitment to the Aggies. He says besides Texas and Texas A&M, he has no other visits planned this fall. TCU and USC might get one, but he has to see how things shake out.

“I am locked in all the way,” he said of his pledge to the Aggies. “I feel very comfortable with my commitment. A&M was were my heart was at and still is from the first day I stepped on that campus. And Coach BGA, I just related to him easier than any coach.”

Asked which school is putting the most pressure on the Aggies 

“Texas,” Davis replied.

At 6-foot-1, 185 pounds, Davis is ranked the No. 33 safety and the No. 310 overall prospect in the country, per the 247Sports Composite Rankings.

image.gif.e6660169c80bbe064fc5e59066bf382c.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d say aggy is mildly concerning now. They’re beyond desperate, have plenty of money to work with after Simmons sidelined them, a little closer to Lafayette than Austin, and a better engineering school than LSU. 

Yeah but they’re like 5 deep on the Dline

1 hour ago, Octavian said:

Heard Roach say on a podcast that NIL really matters to Baker and that Baker was at one point even asking reporters to pay him for interviews.

He also said that of all the schools that are doing NIL, Texas and Tennessee have the best reputation for actually following through on commitments and that he’s seen a lot of NIL agents push their clients/kids towards those two schools because of it. Not a bad trend to be a part of.

It’s a UT thing, no other university would understand.

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, Octavian said:

Heard Roach say on a podcast that NIL really matters to Baker and that Baker was at one point even asking reporters to pay him for interviews.

He also said that of all the schools that are doing NIL, Texas and Tennessee have the best reputation for actually following through on commitments and that he’s seen a lot of NIL agents push their clients/kids towards those two schools because of it. Not a bad trend to be a part of.

Someone get this man a Lamborghini

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

A&M’s checks must be bouncing.

13 hours ago, Octavian said:

Wait
are we not paying in bitcoin and BestBuy gift cards?

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls