Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

4 hours ago, BornOrange said:

Solomon Williams would be a great bookend to go along with Colin Simmons.

In this video, Gerry Hamilton and Rod Babers talk about Ethan Burke and breakdown video of Colin Simmons, Zina Umeozulu, and then Solomon Williams.

I have it set at the Solomon Williams discussion, but looking at the video I would have them ranked (1) Simmons (2) Williams (3) Umeozulu

So is Vasek just chopped liver at this point? 

8 hours ago, TotallyLegit said:

Sure, just give me your password. You can trust me

Username checks out. 

6 hours ago, blacklab said:

what am I supposed to change the title to?

Recruiting 2024: Bend Over and I’ll Show You

Because it’s Christmas, motherfuckers. 

4 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

The Key to the Drill is Big Humans

No. You’ve lost you’re LA privileges.

12 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think it's something Bobby alluded to that people doing the ratings are trying to structure it like NFL draft.

Makes no sense to me. I don't remember recruit rankings being a talking point at any point during the NFL draft. I doubt very seriously many people go back to see what these players were ranked after being drafted.

17 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Makes no sense to me. I don't remember recruit rankings being a talking point at any point during the NFL draft. I doubt very seriously many people go back to see what these players were ranked after being drafted.

They do in the recruiting world all the time. It's not about the NFL talking heads.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

They do in the recruiting world all the time. It's not about the NFL talking heads.

Are you talking about the recruiting nuts like us,  or do the coaches & $9.95'rs go back and look at who they should have taken or rated higher? 

Just now, Laga4 said:

Are you talking about the recruiting nuts like us,  or do the coaches & $9.95'rs go back and look at who they should have taken or rated higher? 

995ers. A lot of them take pride in forecasting first rounders as 5 stars, and measure themselves that way. Even if it doesn't map exactly to college production.

35 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

The comparison to the NFL has always been the benchmark for recruiting, at least in the 20 years since I've been following it. It's why there are 32 5 stars, etc. At the end of the day, the easiest tag line to make folks understand a player's potential is "He's a potential NFL athlete." Kneejerk understanding achieved. And if you haven't seen the dozens upon dozens upon dozens of "5 stars make up 40% of NFL rosters" type articles and analysis over the last decade, man, I don't know where you've been spending your time. And I feel like I remember a kids recruit ranking if he was a 5 star being mentioned a non-zero amount of every NFL Draft broadcast, as well as when a kid basically went unranked; it's mentioned. 

I agree with one thing, however; once that kid is drafted, his rank is never mentioned again. Nor should it be. Clean slate. You don't hear meany references to a players minor-league batting average after he's been in the show for more than a year, either. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, brojangles2 said:

Vasek was doing very well, but has had an injury setback. I don't believe we will see him this year based on a cautious approach. It is a good thing that we are no longer in the position of having to rely solely on underclassmen for hope of finding a playmaker. 

• Hook 'Em 7

49 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I remember the draft talking heads mentioning that Zach Evans was a 5-star back coming out of high school when the Rams took him in the 6th round this year. They also talked about his "inconsistency" and insinuated he had a shit attitude. 

Basically they only mention it when a 5-star guy gets drafted toward the end of the draft so they can insinuate there might be some additional value taking a guy that had high athletic upside coming out of high school. 

Edited by irishtexan
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Par4 said:

Vasek was doing very well, but has had an injury setback. I don't believe we will see him this year based on a cautious approach. It is a good thing that we are no longer in the position of having to rely solely on underclassmen for hope of finding a playmaker. 

Did not realize he had an injury occur, thank you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, texifornia said:

995ers. A lot of them take pride in forecasting first rounders as 5 stars, and measure themselves that way. Even if it doesn't map exactly to college production.

Bud Elliot of 247 did a comparison of the recruit services based on their high school rankings. I imagine On3 will be added in a couple years when they have a full cycle of data to work with.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Username checks out. 

Recruiting 2024: Bend Over and I’ll Show You

Because it’s Christmas, motherfuckers. 

No. You’ve lost you’re LA privileges.

I already used that title extension for a while in the 2022 thread. Let’s be original here, bud. 

Texas Recruiting Notes 2024 -—

- Balls Deep

- Balls Across the SEC’s Nose

- Go Get Your Shine Box

- Kicking the Sonofabitch In

- Your Bags Aren’t Big Enough

I don’t know. Haven’t thought about it much because of Reese’s original ineptitude and subsequent poorism. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I already used that title extension for a while in the 2022 thread. Let’s be original here, bud. 

Texas Recruiting Notes 2024 -—

- Balls Deep

- Balls Across the SEC’s Nose

- Go Get Your Shine Box

- Kicking the Sonofabitch In

- Your Bags Aren’t Big Enough

I don’t know. Haven’t thought about it much because of Reese’s original ineptitude and subsequent poorism. 

2022 may as well be 2002, sir. 

Recruiting Notes 2024:

Hide Yo' Daughters, Hide Yo' 5*'s
Deep & South, but not how you think
SEC: Sign Every 'Cruit
Bags don't beat Bankrolls

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, brojangles2 said:

Every year we sign about 25 new recruits, which means we should be recruiting a player for every position, taking into account roster needs.

Next year we will still recruit at least one, if not multiple Edges, even if we are completely satisfied with this year's haul. That's recruiting.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

Every year we sign about 25 new recruits, which means we should be recruiting a player for every position, taking into account roster needs.

Next year we will still recruit at least one, if not multiple Edges, even if we are completely satisfied with this year's haul. That's recruiting.

I’m certainly aware. My question also stemmed from not seeing any time yet, when 80 kids played against Rice. Didn’t realize there was an injury. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Updated visitor list from IT:

Texas-Wyoming Recruiting Visitor List

Texas Commits

Trey Owens, QB, Cypress (Texas) Cy-Fair
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 497 (3-star)

Parker Livingstone, WR, Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 342 (4-star)

Jordan Washington, TE, Houston (Texas) Langham Creek
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 490 (3-star)

Daniel Cruz, OC, North Richland Hills (Texas) Richland
On300 Ranking: No. 200 (4-star)

D’Antre Robinson, DL, Orlando (Fla.) Jones 
On300 Ranking: No. 271 (4-star)

Colin Simmons, EDGE, Duncanville (Texas) High
On300 Ranking: No. 6 (5-star)

Zina Umeozulu, EDGE, Allen (Texas) High
On300 Ranking: No. 264 (4-star)

2024 Prospects

Ryan Wingo, WR, St. Louis (Mo.) St. Louis University
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 25 (5-star)

Terry Bussey, WR/ATH, Timpson (Texas) High –*Maybe per Justin Wells
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 19 (5-star)

Solomon Williams, EDGE, Tampa (Fla.) Carrollwood Day – *Official visit
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 261 (4-star) 

2025 Prospects

Dakorien Moore, WR, Duncanville (Texas) High – *LSU verbal
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 9 (5-star)

Andrew Marsh, WR, Fulshear (Texas) Jordan
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 16 (4-star)

Marcus Harris, WR, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 43

Taz Williams, WR, Red Oak (Texas)
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 269

Michael Fasusi, OT, Lewisville (Texas) High
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 18 (4-star)

Jonte Newman, OT, Cypress (Texas) Bridgeland
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 273 (4-star)

Tyler Thomas, OT, Dickinson (Texas) High –*Maybe
On3 Industry Ranking: N/R

Anthony Williams, LB/EDGE, Manvel (Texas) Shadow Creek

Cobey Sellers, CB, Manvel (Texas) Shadow Creek
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 165 (4-star)

Xavier Skowron, ATH, Texas City (Texas) High

2026 Prospects

London Smith, ATH, Waco (Texas) University
On3 Industry Ranking: (N/A)

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

The comparison to the NFL has always been the benchmark for recruiting, at least in the 20 years since I've been following it. It's why there are 32 5 stars, etc. At the end of the day, the easiest tag line to make folks understand a player's potential is "He's a potential NFL athlete." Kneejerk understanding achieved. And if you haven't seen the dozens upon dozens upon dozens of "5 stars make up 40% of NFL rosters" type articles and analysis over the last decade, man, I don't know where you've been spending your time. And I feel like I remember a kids recruit ranking if he was a 5 star being mentioned a non-zero amount of every NFL Draft broadcast, as well as when a kid basically went unranked; it's mentioned. 

I agree with one thing, however; once that kid is drafted, his rank is never mentioned again. Nor should it be. Clean slate. You don't hear meany references to a players minor-league batting average after he's been in the show for more than a year, either. 

I'll pay more attention during the upcoming draft next year but outside of a 5 star mention here and there I don't remember recruit rankings being a talking point. I've seen the articles, but those are more for the recruitniks. Casual fans don't really seem to care come draft time.

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls