Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

32 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Wouldn't shock me to see Goosby take LT after Banks. Tons of potential. 

That's where Gerry and Bobby both said he's being coached at the most and has looked great 

4 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Banks will be the first Round 1 lineman in 20 years and hopefully the last line man to start from game 1 for another 30

FIFY a little 

8 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Better than the future first round pick and likely All American on our roster? You can do better than this. Or maybe this is your ceiling. 

Banks is eventually going to go to the NFL. Baker is projected to right tackle. But, based on what I've been told my some NFL linemen is that the best linemen can play anywhere on the line. Once, Banks is gone, I think Baker with a year of weights and experience under his belt will be in that conversation as best lineman on the team.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Atticus said:

No, he isn't going to push anything at left tackle. He'll compete at right tackle, along with Williams, Goosby, and maybe Agbo.

Baker's optimal/NFL position is RT, but he could easily play LT in college. You see future NFL RTs and even guards play well at LT in college. We all watched Williams look great at LT for Texas, only to be drafted as a Guard and eventually move to center in the NFL.  Goosby is a LT, probably the only pure LT in the program other than Banks. I hope Texas has the luxury of keeping Baker at RT, because that means Texas has continued to develop a killer OL. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Push implies pushing the incumbent from his secure position next year. Neto pushed Conner, Campbell pushed and eventually usurped Hutson.

He said something retarded like “baker is gonna push at left tackle, he’s the top rated lineman in country!” Baker has only played on the right side of the OL, watch the tape. As CTJ said, he was recruited to play RT, and is most comfortable there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Look, I am excited about Baker's prospects at this point, but those of y'all who want to posit a healthy Banks (in a contract year, no less) is threatened by Baker are certifiably delusional. It's more likely that Baker will be pushed by Banks to learn and grow, which sets him up well for his sophomore/RS freshman season in 2025.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Look, I am excited about Baker's prospects at this point, but those of y'all who want to posit a healthy Banks (in a contract year, no less) is threatened by Baker are certifiably delusional. It's more likely that Baker will be pushed by Banks to learn and grow, which sets him up well for his sophomore/RS freshman season in 2025.

It was one person, to be clear

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So we landed our top interior OL prospect (Cruz), our top OT prospect (Baker), our top edge prospect (Simmons) and are looking good for our top DB prospect (Black). Didn't land a war-daddy DT but got 2 of our top targets in Robinson and January.

Pretty good balance throughout the class with a good hit rate on our biggest need positions of the cycle.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 4

I love a pile on as much as the next guy, but are we sure the poster wasn’t saying that Baker will push for the LT spot after Banks leaves next year? Still likely wrong, but at least it’s defensible.

That said…if he wasn’t holy shit. Maybe lock him out of this board and contain those takes to the Football board with the rest of the simpletons. I hear there is a great debate going on about whether Worthy is quick or not over there. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Any blowback from D'antre Robinson taking a UOV to Florida without giving the staff a heads up? I know that has soured the staff on some other guys, but I'd really like to keep him in the boat. 

Gerry said he thinks D'antre will be told "Please don't do that shit again without telling us." And if he does, well, then that would be a serious problem. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

Push implies pushing the incumbent from his secure position next year. Neto pushed Conner, Campbell pushed and eventually usurped Hutson.

He said something retarded like “baker is gonna push at left tackle, he’s the top rated lineman in country!” Baker has only played on the right side of the OL, watch the tape. As CTJ said, he was recruited to play RT, and is most comfortable there.

Really? What does push for playing time mean then? Or even pushing the starter - which can mean making the starter play harder to secure his position as full-time starter vs. coming out some series for rests? Push has lots of meanings just like "fuck".  Fuuck

Edited by Bevo

59 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

It was one person, to be clear

Yeah. Its like the "This team is scary good" thread where 3 days ago one poster may have hinted that he'd like to see this team up against '05 and the next 4 pages are people jumping up to defend the '05 team while lecturing everyone else about how wrong they are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I love a pile on as much as the next guy, but are we sure the poster wasn’t saying that Baker will push for the LT spot after Banks leaves next year? Still likely wrong, but at least it’s defensible.

That said…if he wasn’t holy shit. Maybe lock him out of this board and contain those takes to the Football board with the rest of the simpletons. I hear there is a great debate going on about whether Worthy is quick or not over there. 

I think Trey Owens is gonna push for reps at QB. Not sure how many years it’ll take or the circumstances in which it happens, but I can see it happening sometime, somewhere.

Edited by Atticus
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Really? What does push for playing time mean then? Or even pushing the starter - which can mean making the starter play harder to secure his position as full-time starter vs. coming out some series for rests? Push has lots of meanings just like "fuck".  Fuuck

Bevo right now

Digging Episode 4 GIF by One Chicago

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

Baker has only played on the right side of the OL, watch the tape. As CTJ said, he was recruited to play RT, and is most comfortable there.

Just because ctj said it and you parrot it doesn't make it true. College players on the OL switch positions a lot. Flood will get Baker on the field early at whatever position makes the best OL at Texas. He won't just put him at RT because that is where he is projected to play in the pros or that is the position that he played in high school.

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Bevo right now

Digging Episode 4 GIF by One Chicago

Possibly, but I know a hell of a lot more about OL play than most. Not because I played there - I played DB and WR - but because I know a lot of former OL at Texas and the NFL whose opinion I trust - at least more than 99% of random fans. There is a person who coaches OL in Coeur d'Alene  who knows his stuff who post here and he might have an opinion. Otherwise, attorneys are great at arguing but not necessarily experts in football.

27 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Possibly, but I know a hell of a lot more about OL play than most. Not because I played there - I played DB and WR - but because I know a lot of former OL at Texas and the NFL whose opinion I trust - at least more than 99% of random fans. There is a person who coaches OL in Coeur d'Alene  who knows his stuff who post here and he might have an opinion. Otherwise, attorneys are great at arguing but not necessarily experts in football.

I don't have an opinion about Bevo, but the above is just sad. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't know, but maybe he just wanted to get away. I know NIL was a big deal on this one, but that's not something that USC is hampered by, so that isn't it.

Didn't Riley fuck up with Raleek Brown, too? There was something about the Mater Dei coaches not trusting him. 

35 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Good god. What a flex. 

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You can go find for yourself statements from the guys that covered this recruitment, from interviewing Baker himself, stating that a key differentiator from the Texas end is that they see him as a future RT and the fact that this is Christian Jones' last year is a big deal to him. He's coming in expecting to get a chance to compete at RT immediately. 

Nothing is guaranteed and no shit the coaching staff should seek to optimize the OL for fit in a ruthless manner each season. That shouldn't have to be something posted as a fucking terms and conditions fine print issue on a constant basis on these threads but some of you idiots, and yes, you for sure, Bevo, are tediously literal and dense, so here it is in obvious fashion for you. 

*Terms and conditions apply. There are no guarantees in recruiting. Once guys get on campus, coaches will work to develop and find the best for them. Sometimes that means the player winds up elsewhere than originally speculated during the player's recruitment. Results and mileage will vary on a case by case basis. All rights reserved. Go fuck yourself. Fuck him. Fuck that guy too. Merry Christman. Happy Hannukah. 

I can agree with most of this - except the pedantic part. Maybe he will start ahead of Cam Williams, but that open spot behind Banks seems awfully enticing. I guess we will have to wait a year to find out though. Lots of things could happen between now and 2024 and 2025.

41 minutes ago, Fud said:

I haven't been following this cycle closely. Why wasn't USC a threat for Baker?

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't know, but maybe he just wanted to get away. I know NIL was a big deal on this one, but that's not something that USC is hampered by, so that isn't it.

He obviously wanted to play in the SEC.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, campcrunk said:

Williams, Goosby, Agbo, and now Baker with an outside shot at Weston Davis and DeAndre Carter. Not to mention Campbell, Umeozulu, Cruz, Kibble, Chatman, Kirkland, Stroh, Cojoe, Hutson, and Robinson - and they're all being coached and developed by Flood. Talk about a First World Problem. This OL is going to be absolutely filthy for years. We could have Vondrell McGree, Antwon Cobb, Tristian Houston, Kyle Porter, Danny Young, or Toneil Carter runnning behind them and probably still average more than 5 ypc. Hell, post-injury Kevin Shorter could probably get 4 or even 4.5. Instead, we've got or are getting Brooks, Baxter, Gibson, Clark, and even guys like Blue and Red (who I would desparately like to see get more carries, btw)

Someone hit the nail on the head: this is how Bama and Georgia were built. 

I find it hard to believe we won't lose some guys to the portal. Those pancakes may be really tasty though.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Didn't Riley fuck up with Raleek Brown, too? There was something about the Mater Dei coaches not trusting him. 

idk what happened here but he's planning on taking a RS this year, but not enter the portal?

https://www.si.com/college/usc/football/usc-football-raleek-brown-former-five-star-recruit-opting-for-redshirt-sophomore-year-jf1989

image.thumb.png.a427a33b7fb96ef42354619ac203c3e6.png

he's out here liking USC tweets, OF girls tweets as well as this funny one

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

I find it hard to believe we won't lose some guys to the portal. Those pancakes may be really tasty though.

yeah, some dudes are going to hit the portal w/ the team returning 4 of 5 likely starters

image.thumb.png.0d8f3a3bffae7fd3bb69f4396838fdb2.png

returning 4 potential starters seems incredible. return Banks, Conner, Majors. return one of Hutson or Campbell at RG. likely have a dogfight at RT with Cam Williams and Baker or some of the RSFR tackle dudes (Goosby, Chatman, Cojoe. )

Merril sounds like he ain't going anywhere.

who knows what happens with Connor Robertson. having 4 scholarships spent at center seems way less ideal than spending 5 on Kickers + Punters + LS like they have now.

likely to lose some of the guards - i can see whoever loses at RG (Hutson or Campbell) moving on potentially. Can't see a universe where the team keeps all Conner, Neto, Agbo, Huston and Campbell.

so guys potentially on the bubble next year are Neto or Agbo, Campbell or Hutson, some of the RSFR who decide to move on (if one of them gets passed by Baker at RT), Robertson maybe if he gets passed by with Cruz before fall camp? Cam Williams maybe if he gets beat out by Baker?

Seems like Hayden Connor is most likely to be unseated of the current starting lineup. Campbell is likely to improve as the season progresses. Good chance he secures his spot if that happens. But Hutson could take Connor's place or be groomed for Center. He doesn't seem like the type to transfer right off the bat.

Edited by sith_horn