Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

5 hours ago, satyanash said:

Same as last year, Big 12 shafted us by giving CotY to Gundy instead of Sark. People love to talk about how Gundy had to deal with various problems and led Okie Lite out of a rough patch to reach the Big 12 title game... but never mention how most of those problems were of his own doing.

Had to deal with losing multiple transfers? No one asked Gundy to drive off half his roster with OANN bullshit.

Had to come back from a 2-2 start? No one asked Gundy to get throttled by South Alabama and UCF. How the fuck do you lose to a C-USA team and win CotY? Absolute embarrassment.

5 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Not saying he didnt, but this isnt a good OSU team. OSU has no business being in the Big 12 Championship game with their overall talent.  Texas should be there, so I have 0 issues that Gundy got it over Sark. 

Sark has done a nice job this year. He has a shitload of talent at his disposal but going 11-1 is hard playing Alabama and a 9-game B12 schedule. And of course, not only did he recruit and/or develop that talent, he has repaired the foundation of the program to a state it hasn't been in for 15+ years. He deserves a lot of credit.

That said, Lance Leipold should be coach of the year and it is not close. He has Kansas 8-4 and an upper tier team in the conference playing all but one league game on 2nd/3rd string QBs. He beat Oklahoma. Y'all understand that is the second best team in the conference and Texas's opponent this Saturday if Jalon Daniels is healthy for even a couple of the losses they took, right? That is a fucking mind boggling ridiculous accomplishment given where Kansas was just two years ago.

14 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Barron should've been 1st team Nickel & I don't understand how Chriatian Jones didn't at least make 2nd team when a lot folks felt that Jones was playing even better than Kelvin Banks this season.

This is what stood out to me. Both of those are lolz

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

That said, Lance Leipold should be coach of the year and it is not close. He has Kansas 8-4 and an upper tier team in the conference playing all but one league game on 2nd/3rd string QBs. He beat Oklahoma. Y'all understand that is the second best team in the conference and Texas's opponent this Saturday if Jalon Daniels is healthy for even a couple of the losses they took, right? That is a fucking mind boggling ridiculous accomplishment given where Kansas was just two years ago.

If you want to go with the coach who most overperformed preseason expectations, Neal Brown is probably the pick. WVU was predicted to finish dead last in the Big 12 and he got the Mountaineers to 8-4, probably saving his job in the process.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

If you want to go with the coach who most overperformed preseason expectations, Neal Brown is probably the pick. WVU was predicted to finish dead last in the Big 12 and he got the Mountaineers to 8-4, probably saving his job in the process.

This board had a quasi-serious discussion about our collective concerns that WVU would keep Texas out of the Big 12 championship game. Brown is the obvious choice.

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

But I don't. I want to go with the guy who demonstrated the best overall football coaching ability. Kansas is 9-3 or even 10-2 if they even just have their second string QB vs Tech and K State. I don't think it's appreciated how bonkers that is, and how impressive it is to continue building off of the huge step they took last year. He'd have won it last year if TCU didn't luck into a 12-0 season.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Sark has done a nice job this year. He has a shitload of talent at his disposal but going 11-1 is hard playing Alabama and a 9-game B12 schedule. And of course, not only did he recruit and/or develop that talent, he has repaired the foundation of the program to a state it hasn't been in for 15+ years. He deserves a lot of credit.

This is what stood out to me. Both of those are lolz

17 minutes ago, satyanash said:

WVU finished with eight wins, and not a single one was over an FBS school with a winning record.

Wins:

• Duquesne (FCS)
  • Pitt (3-9) by 11
  • Tech (6-6) by 7
  • TCU (5-7) by 3
  • UCF (6-6) by 13
  • BYU (5-7) by 30
  • Cincy (3-9) by 21
  • Baylor (3-9) by 3

Losses:

• Penn State (10-2) by 23
  • Houston (4-8) by 2
  • OSU (9-3) by 14
  • OU (10-2) by 39

Five of their six BigXII wins were teams in the bottom half of the conference; as well as one of their losses.

WVU didn't play Texas, Iowa State, Kansas State, or Kansas, and were beat handily by the teams they did play in the top half of the league.

Kansas, on the other hand, was without their starting QB most of the season. Yet, they still finished 8-4 with wins over OU and Iowa State and close losses to Kansas State and Oklahoma State. I'm with @gmr548 on this one.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

https://www.on3.com/db/brody-kosin-155069/

https://247sports.com/player/brody-kosin-46128313/

Listed at 6'6, 215. Indiana commit ranked around 1,100. Seems to be an opportunistic offer (IU's entire team is portaling/recruits decommitting) and based on senior year film.

Here is this year's film: http://www.hudl.com/v/2MeKfP

Edited by MuellerHorn

11 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Listed at 6'6, 215. Indiana commit ranked around 1,100. Seems to be an opportunistic offer (IU's entire team is portaling/recruits decommitting) and based on senior year film.

Good frame.  Not explosive, as you might expect. But seems to catch the ball and high point the ball easily.  Looks like a B10 TE waiting to happen.

Edited by Post Oak
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

So an in line TE while Washington is the flex. I guess in the cycles where you can’t find/land a Sanders this is the way to go.

Helm has been a very nice surprise. I wish we could find another. 

8 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Do we need one of those the cycle after taking Shannon and randle?

I'm not sure Juan Davis is a fit in our offense.

Our TE depth looks like this next year basically:

Gunnar Helm(Sr)
Spencer Shannon(RS-Fr)
Will Randle(Rs-Fr)
Jordan Washington(Fr)

Adding an extra tight end to this class seems like a smart move considering Sark loves 12 personnel and for 2025 forward.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

9 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

9 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

He has long arms.

10 hours ago, satyanash said:

Neal Brown or Matt Campbell. After the gambling scandal, nobody thought they would even get to bowl eligible. 

10 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

WVU finished with eight wins, and not a single one was over an FBS school with a winning record.

Wins:

• Duquesne (FCS)
  • Pitt (3-9) by 11
  • Tech (6-6) by 7
  • TCU (5-7) by 3
  • UCF (6-6) by 13
  • BYU (5-7) by 30
  • Cincy (3-9) by 21
  • Baylor (3-9) by 3

Losses:

• Penn State (10-2) by 23
  • Houston (4-8) by 2
  • OSU (9-3) by 14
  • OU (10-2) by 39

Five of their six BigXII wins were teams in the bottom half of the conference; as well as one of their losses.

WVU didn't play Texas, Iowa State, Kansas State, or Kansas, and were beat handily by the teams they did play in the top half of the league.

Kansas, on the other hand, was without their starting QB most of the season. Yet, they still finished 8-4 with wins over OU and Iowa State and close losses to Kansas State and Oklahoma State. I'm with @gmr548 on this one.

I will say, you shouldn’t pick the COY based on “what’s ifs.” You can sit around on a computer and say KU finishes 9-3 or 10-2 with Daniels, but you don’t know that for sure. I think that’s a dangerous hypothetical argument to make when picking league awards 

I think Brown would have been a fine choice for COY over Gundy and probably a slam dunk without that hilarious UH loss. Picked last -> 9-3 would have won the award. 

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I will say, you shouldn’t pick the COY based on “what’s ifs.” You can sit around on a computer and say KU finishes 9-3 or 10-2 with Daniels, but you don’t know that for sure. I think that’s a dangerous hypothetical argument to make when picking league awards 

I think Brown would have been a fine choice for COY over Gundy and probably a slam dunk without that hilarious UH loss. Picked last -> 9-3 would have won the award. 

Honestly any of these three guys can be justified in winning whether it is Sark, Gundy, or Brown. All 3 did outstanding jobs this season relative to pre-season expectations.

SEC COMMIT CONSIDERING A BIG 12 TITLE GAME VISIT

Hank South (Horns 247)

Auburn defensive line commit TJ Lindsey wants to see Texas play this season before signing. His last chance is this weekend in Arlington.

Two weeks ago the four-star defender said he was eyeing the Big 12 championship game as one he would like to attend (assuming the Longhorns were a part of it). Horns247 checked in with the Arkansas native this week, who told us he now is “considering” making the trip over to Jerry World.

The Longhorns reengaged with Lindsey in October after he pledged to the Tigers in August. Texas finished second in his recruitment and is the school that has the best chance to change his mind down the stretch.

It’s hard to say whether or not a flip hinges on a visit this weekend considering he’s already officially visited Austin, but it certainly wouldn’t hurt. Texas will continue to try and chip away at this one. — HANK SOUTH

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Getafix said:

Hank South (Horns 247)

Auburn defensive line commit TJ Lindsey wants to see Texas play this season before signing. His last chance is this weekend in Arlington.

Two weeks ago the four-star defender said he was eyeing the Big 12 championship game as one he would like to attend (assuming the Longhorns were a part of it). Horns247 checked in with the Arkansas native this week, who told us he now is “considering” making the trip over to Jerry World.

The Longhorns reengaged with Lindsey in October after he pledged to the Tigers in August. Texas finished second in his recruitment and is the school that has the best chance to change his mind down the stretch.

It’s hard to say whether or not a flip hinges on a visit this weekend considering he’s already officially visited Austin, but it certainly wouldn’t hurt. Texas will continue to try and chip away at this one. — HANK SOUTH

That would have to be on his own dime, correct?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I’m not basing anything on “what ifs.” I based my entire point on what Leipold accomplished with a backup QB against a harder schedule with better wins.

I can understand why some think Brown should have gotten the nod (everyone assumed they’d suck and he’d get fired coming into the season), but if you break down where his wins came from, they’re not all that impressive. 

Edited by MuellerHorn

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Hank South (Horns 247)

I am not really all that excited for a Lindsey flip and I am not sure why we are pushing. I would much rather have Hibler if we had the option to choose. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Vertigo said:

I am not really all that excited for a Lindsey flip and I am not sure why we are pushing. I would much rather have Hibler if we had the option to choose. 

I don't think we're in a 'choose' position yet.  Apparently Hibbler only very recently reached out to Texas coaches to re-engage.

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I'm not sure Juan Davis is a fit in our offense.

Our TE depth looks like this next year basically:

Gunnar Helm(Sr)
Spencer Shannon(RS-Fr)
Will Randle(Rs-Fr)
Jordan Washington(Fr)

Adding an extra tight end to this class seems like a smart move considering Sark loves 12 personnel and for 2025 forward.

Yeah Jaun Davis is to small for how much we run split inside and outside zone and how much GH counter. Sanders is 6'4 240 and a decent blocker. Davis is 215 and I dont think they want him kicking out edges or leading on LBs. Much less blocking someone on PA Pass plays. Hell Sanders isnt good at that. We need a true H-Back type that can do all the dirty work along with being a threat in the short and intermediate pass game. 

13 minutes ago, bwub60 said:

. We need a true H-Back type that can do all the dirty work along with being a threat in the short and intermediate pass game. 

We've had exactly two players like that in the last 20 years.  Thomas and Irby.  They are just extremely hard to find.  Gunnar Helm is probably the best option next year.

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

We've had exactly two players like that in the last 20 years.  Thomas and Irby.  They are just extremely hard to find.  Gunnar Helm is probably the best option next year.

Just now, Dondrysdale1 said:

Beck, Swaim?

Don’t get smart with me!

You better watch your mouth!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Helm is better as an inline TE. We need someone Similar to Sanders. Hes blocks pretty well there and can flex out and play inline. 

• Hook 'Em 1