Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

(Justin Wells) Texas Longhorns Recruiting: Latest on the 2024 class

The Texas Longhorns boast the No. 4 class in the 2024 On3 Recruiting Rankings after a big early opening National Signing Day today. But they might not be finished. Here’s the latest.

Dominick McKinley, DL, Lafayette (La.) Acadiana – Texas A&M commit

The Pelican State product is debating signing during the early period or in February. It appears he’ll wait until February at the moment, where he’s looking at visits to LSU and Tennessee. We know Texas could very well be in it, as they’ve continued to stay in contact.

Dealyn Evans, Longview (Texas) Pine Tree – Texas A&M commit

We mentioned about Evans a few weeks ago and the possibility of Texas getting a visit, after he told IT he’d be signing during the second NSD window in February. Now he is looking at signing during the early period, with an announcement around 4:30pm. If Texas truly pushes, they could flip the Texas A&M commit with relative ease. We’ll learn soon how much the UT staff actually pushes for the ETX jumbo athlete.

Tyanthony Smith, LB, Jasper (Texas) – Texas A&M commit

It’ll be Texas or Texas A&M for the four-star linebacker and Aggie pledge. He’s set to announce at a ceremony in Jasper tonight at 6:30pm (CT). Texas has some real confidence here and Texas A&M has also been in communication with the sideline-to-sideline prospect.

Aaron Butler, ATH, Calabasas (Calif.)

The versatile west coast athlete was down to Washington and Arizona, and now has added Texas to the mix, reports said. He’s now wanting to delay his decision until later in the week. After Texas lost Daingerfield (Texas) ATH Aeryn Hampton to Alabama today, Butler would be a fantastic replacement.

16 minutes ago, OnAComputer said:

Gonna go ahead and post my own tweet here because I think it's neat

Moral of the story is Sark is signing bigger classes with some slight scheme tweaks making up the difference. I would be very interested to see the relative quality and star ratings of the position groups by each coach. I think you would see a pretty eye opening difference for Sarkisian along the OL and DL. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Is this chart supposed to make me more or less worried about our DL going into the SEC

Less worried. Sark has been loading up on DL since he got here. I think they realized what was going to happen when Ojomo and Coburn left and then a year later it'd be Sweat/Murphy.

Honestly, if you think about these numbers they make sense from a sense of "What do I need right now." You can see the swing in # of recruits as an indicator of where the staff is worried/focused.

What's interesting is that OL recruiting slowed down this year after being on pace to take an entire new OL every class. Probably because they are feeling more comfortable with the talent they have on the OL.

He's also been taking roughly 7 more guys per class he's had the ability to play around with who they take. That's led to him upping the number of DE's, WR's, and DB's. Seems they realize there is a problem there and are throwing mud against the wall to see if anything can stick.

Another thing that is interesting and slightly worrisome is the lack of LB's. I think they are comfortable with Ant, but if he goes down, then Texas could find themselves in a ton of trouble due to depth. It probably points to Texas feeling comfortable with a contributor returning to the program after this year.

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Moral of the story is Sark is signing bigger classes with some slight scheme tweaks making up the difference. I would be very interested to see the relative quality and star ratings of the position groups by each coach. I think you would see a pretty eye opening difference for Sarkisian along the OL and DL. 

That's the next iteration of this

• Hook 'Em 4

54 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Sark bragging about our slightly below average academic performance 2.94 is almost a B baby!

nerds GIF

I'm looking up at the football team. Better than my GPA at UT and I managed to stumblefuck into a PhD... eventually

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

We've all followed these recruiting processes for years.  Along the way, there have been many highly rated classes, including one from Herman that was 3rd in the country.  That class was supposedly loaded with key 5 star and 4 star talent.

The problem with following the rankings, is that they do a poor job of addressing the mental element of each player who is ranked.  As a general rule, ~75% of 5 star players end up contributing significantly.  Four star players run ~50%.  Thus, a team can take some 5 and 4 star players, have a high recruiting ranking, but end up with a bunch of BJ Fosters. It seems like during the late Brown years, Strong years, and Herman years were were getting a lot of 5 and 4 star players who didn't have the right mental make-up. Or maybe they were just simply over-rated.

It may be the high of a newly signed class, but it seems like the 5 and 4 star players we are getting now are more solid than in the last 10+ years. I would expect this class to have a higher positive impact than any of the non-Sark teams since 2012. Certainly the Banks class has been hugely impactful. Or, I'm just drinking too much koolaid.

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

16 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

We've all followed these recruiting processes for years.  Along the way, there have been many highly rated classes, including one from Herman that was 3rd in the country.  That class was supposedly loaded with key 5 star and 4 star talent.

The problem with following the rankings, is that they do a poor job of addressing the mental element of each player who is ranked.  As a general rule, ~75% of 5 star players end up contributing significantly.  Four star players run ~50%.  Thus, a team can take some 5 and 4 star players, have a high recruiting ranking, but end up with a bunch of BJ Fosters. It seems like during the late Brown years, Strong years, and Herman years were were getting a lot of 5 and 4 star players who didn't have the right mental make-up. Or maybe they were just simply over-rated.

It may be the high of a newly signed class, but it seems like the 5 and 4 star players we are getting now are more solid than in the last 10+ years. I would expect this class to have a higher positive impact than any of the non-Sark teams since 2012. Certainly the Banks class has been hugely impactful. Or, I'm just drinking too much koolaid.

coaching

Just now, Enchubben said:

Assuming Texas will still pursue, this isn’t the win they think it is. Texas probably just sold him on taking his time and making visits since aggy will take his commitment whenever he wants to give it.

Gives them time to actually hire defensive coaches and make their sell with the new staff. Signing today was the best-case scenario for us, right now A&M is a headless chicken at its weakest.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Gives them time to actually hire defensive coaches and make their sell with the new staff. Signing today was the best-case scenario for us, right now A&M is a headless chicken at its weakest.

If this season has taught us anything, it's that whenever we think that A&M couldn't get any worse in their stupidity and decision-making process, they prove us wrong.

Just wait until Elko starts announcing a bunch of Shawn Watson-tier hires.

• Hook 'Em 3