USMNT 2021

Napoleon

10 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

But World Cup games are "neutral" games.

not on european or south american soil they aren't

now, qatar, yes, technically, neutral

technically

you can be certain fifa is writing new algorithms for the ping-pong-ball hair dryer to build the first-ever group of toxicity

something worse than a group of death

3 top-10 sides plus the US

why?

because every day the US remains alive in qatar will burn $25m in profits spent on counter-terrorism measures protecting the team and US nationals attending

In defense - if you put a England out there they wipe the floor. But the ENT has been playing as a unit for years. This iteration of the USMNT has been together like 5 games? 
Hah I wouldn't have chosen England to illustrate that point. Recent success aside they'd actually be the example for the team supposed to win but doesn't. My family are English, they're all three lions fans except me. It's quite entertaining.

5 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

May as well keep it. $5 a month. You get Concacaf, Champions League, Europa, Serie A, Argentine Primera, Brazil’s top division. Tons of matches. 

If you subscribe to a 247 site for, say, college football - you get paramount plus for free. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Rudiger said:

In other words, this team is just as shitty as it’s been for the last 30 years. 

No, we’ve been much worse. 

1) I think that Reyna’s ego & naïveté was counterproductive.

2) A healthy Daryl Dike would have thrived in last night’s match.

3) Ricardo Pepi’s ball skills, quick release, and superior accuracy would have proved much more dangerous with the opportunities that Josh Sargent got than the shit that Sargent produced.

4) Last night’s game could have been 3-0 or more with Graham Zusi on the right wing whipping in curlers to Brian McBride’s head. THAT is the kind of shit that would have worked last night rather than tight passes and attempted dribbles by 2 or 3 guys vs about 5 well disciplined defenders.

EDIT: El Salvador will benefit from ES/USA dual nationals choosing to play for ES going forward. Like with the women’s game (and France on the other side of the Atlantic), US Soccer will produce far more international players than they have spots for and the rest of CONCACAF will be the beneficiaries. 

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Zepol87 said:

Last night sucked. People still cry and bitch about the stadiums and crowds in concacaf?  So soft

Positive about last night:

+ a small fraction of the writhing in “pain” by ES compared to decades past. 

Negative:

- the US kids inability to excel in a match with such limited CONCACAF-ing.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Last night sucked. People still cry and bitch about the stadiums and crowds in concacaf?  So soft

Yep, when the entire crowd was absolutely screaming their national anthem I knew it was going to be a long night. 

Shit game for the most part but glad to have 1 point after 1 game this cycle instead of 0 after 2 like last time. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

After sleeping on this match, I have concluded (as many others have) that ultimately the blame lies on Gerg for one simple reason.

All national teams are faced with the issue of lack of chemistry usually due to the players not spending enough time with each other (well of course, they play for different clubs in different leagues).

Gerg doesn't do the team any favors by deploying the players at positions that they are not used to playing with their club teams.

Reyna needs to be played in the midfield. Stop this stupid experiment with Dest on the left. Aaronson is better out wide. Acosta at RB?

Even though it's just one match, I might have to temper my expectations for this Octagonal because of Gerg.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

That was fugly 

glad i just DVR'd it.

Sat down to watch it...hmm, are the playing in a prison yard?.. start to get bored.. push the fast forward button (3 speed) -  looking at the scoreboard to change. Never did. End.

Delete.

Saved myself 2 hours.

Edited by yoladu

47 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Gerg doesn't do the team any favors by deploying the players at positions that they are not used to playing with their club teams.

Reyna needs to be played in the midfield. Stop this stupid experiment with Dest on the left. Aaronson is better out wide. Acosta at RB?

Even though it's just one match, I might have to temper my expectations for this Octagonal because of Gerg.

yep, that seems to be the consensus.

Edited by Jive Turkey

31 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

No, we’ve been much worse. 

1) I think that Reyna’s ego & naïveté was counterproductive.

2) A healthy Daryl Dike would have thrived in last night’s match.

3) Ricardo Pepi’s ball skills, quick release, and superior accuracy would have proved much more dangerous with the opportunities that Josh Sargent got than the shit that Sargent produced.

4) Last night’s game could have been 3-0 or more with Graham Zusi on the right wing whipping in curlers to Brian McBride’s head. THAT is the kind of shit that would have worked last night rather than tight passes and attempted dribbles by 2 or 3 guys vs about 5 well disciplined defenders.

EDIT: El Salvador will benefit from ES/USA dual nationals choosing to play for ES going forward. Like with the women’s game (and France on the other side of the Atlantic), US Soccer will produce far more international players than they have spots for and the rest of CONCACAF will be the beneficiaries. 

Nah, bullshit. What was put out there should have got it done. It’s easy to say that in hindsight. The problem is that we cannot score a fucking goal from the run of play against anybody worth a fuck. 

Wales-0

Northern Ireland- penalty and a deflection 

Switzerland- 1 

Honduras- 1 on a last gasp attempt

mexico- 2 corners and a penalty. 

El fucking Salvador- 0. Their keeper made 2 saves…

these guys seem to have Chelsea, Dortmund, Barcelona, Juventus all fooled….

or maybe the common theme is the system under GGG

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

Nah, bullshit. What was put out there should have got it done. It’s easy to say that in hindsight. The problem is that we cannot score a fucking goal from the run of play against anybody worth a fuck. 

Wales-0

Northern Ireland- penalty and a deflection 

Switzerland- 1 

Honduras- 1 on a last gasp attempt

mexico- 2 corners and a penalty. 

El fucking Salvador- 0. Their keeper made 2 saves…

these guys seem to have Chelsea, Dortmund, Barcelona, Juventus all fooled….

or maybe the common theme is the system under GGG

Maybe…

Ricardo Pepi = COWBELL

E9CF2A06-2E2B-4583-9A7E-B452EB522424.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

Twitter rumors are saying Gio is out for tonight, pulled hammy in training?

Kind of a bummer about Gio, because his skills on a good pitch would have been a big help. El Salvador's pitch...

DISCLAIMER: I know that I mentioned this to a friend, but can't remember whether or not I posted this here...

Not realizing it in advance of El Salvador's game, but while watching that game I realized that should have employed one of two options:

1) Start Pefok and a right / left winger who can whip in crosses. 

-Pefok's size was dramatic once he went in. He's a big fucking dude and against a team like El Salvador, if we have anyone who can whip in crosses... especially with a crappy field, that should have been our Plan A.

2) We should have brought Jesus Ferreira and started Jesus & Pepi up front against El Salvador. 

-Their chemistry and technical abilities combined with their abilities to shoot quickly are far superior to Josh Sargent's and they don't try to do as much as Gio. Don't know what was going through Gio's head vs. E.S., but it wasn't very helpful.

It is insane how quickly Pepi can shoot vs Sargent. Like a QB who spits the ball out in a twitch of the arm vs a guy who needs time and has a wind up.

And with Pepi out of the lineup, Ferreira did this last night. (Ignore his hand signal celebration, I don't think that it is "UT"... Texas... related.)

Edited by Napoleon

18 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

…and they don't try to do as much as Gio. Don't know what was going through Gio's head vs. E.S., but it wasn't very helpful.

IMHO, that was the youth factor that not just him, but a lot of guys felt. While some guys had played qualifiers before, most hadn’t, especially on the road. I know that a lot of places in Europe are raucous, but are they Central America raucous? It’s a different animal and these guys might have just let that get them juiced a little too much. 

5 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Steffens has covid. 
 Sean Johnson replacing him on the roster  

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2021/09/sean-johnson-added-to-usmnt-roster-for-world-cup-qualifiers

USMNT Qualifying Shit Show Updates as they become available.

I would love a Ferreira call up for Honduras. I think that I've made myself clear about that.