2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

I expect him to win 10 games.  Herman could have won 10 games given the games that were missed.  

the schedule is slightly tougher next year but I expect Sark and his coaches to be better than Herman.  I realize Sam was a senior but he didn't play that well and I expect Sark to get Thompson to play at least at the level Sam did last year(it should be better to be honest).

Steve Sarkisian: 'We should be going toe-to-toe' with Nick Saban, Alabama

by Dean Straka.   107 minutes ago

Expectations are always high on the football field at the University of Texas, and new Longhorns head coach Steve Sarkisian is eagerly embracing that reality. The 46-year-old Sarkisian, who was hired away from his role as Alabama's offensive coordinator in early January, to take over on the Forty Acres, has only been on campus for just more than a month, but that's not stopping him from already setting the standard at his new home -- on and off the field, as high as it was for him under Nick Saban in Tuscaloosa. 

"My time with coach Saban was tremendous," Sarkisian said during a recent interview with GBAG Nation on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas. "He’s a great mentor of mine. He’s a tremendous coach. He’s a tremendous leader. Obviously, we’re different people, with different niches. He’s a defensive guy, I’m an offensive guy, and the idea is that, hopefully, we are going into the same living room back-to-back nights competing for the same players off the field.

"And then the goal is that at the end of the college football season, we are competing on the field in the playoff because that’s the standard here. And I know that’s the standard at Alabama, and we should be going toe-to-toe on a daily basis with recruits, and we should be going toe-to-toe on the field every season.”

Of course, going "toe-to-toe" with a school that just won its sixth national title in a span of 12 seasons before hauling in the highest-rated recruiting class in history isn't an overnight process. But a program of Texas' stature, to at least some degree, will always "recruit itself," and Sarkisian isn't the only new face on the Forty Acres that previously had a front-row view of the inner-workings at Alabama. Following Sarkisian from Tuscaloosa to Austin are Jeff Banks and Kyle Flood, who will be expected to bolster the Longhorns' efforts on the field and recruiting trail alike as Texas looks to reemerge as a coveted destination for top recruits from coast to coast.

As far as the existing history between the two schools on the recruiting front is concerned, the 2021 cycle saw one particularly notable battle pan out between Alabama and Texas, with Saban -- and, at the time, Sarkisian  -- pulling through in the end. In July 2020, the Crimson Tide landed twin offensive linemen Tommy Brockermeyer and James Brockermeyer out Fort Worth (Texas) All Saints Episcopal, a major recruiting victory for Alabama given that the twins' father, Blake Brockermeyer, played for Texas in the 1990s. Those ties, plus the fact that the twins were on few hours away in Fort Worth gave Texas fans plenty of optimism early, but it was Alabama that ultimately won the quest for the two blue-chip brothers.

In the immediate, Sarkisian and his staff had very little time to get settled into their new roles with the Longhorns before they hit the ground running. After the previous regime under Tom Herman signed 19 players in the December signing period, Sarkisian and his assistants scoured every resource available in an effort to add additional players of need to the future of the Texas football program.

Sarkisian and Co. signed three guys during the February signing period, including two verbal commitments in four-star cornerback Ishmael Ibraheem and three-star wide receiver Keithron Lee, while also adding a National Signing Day commitment and signature in three-star strong-side defensive end David Abiara. The trio of signees joins former LSU outside linebacker Ray Thornton to sign with Sarkisian since he took over as head coach.

“Ideally, you come in at the front end and you sign all 25 of your guys and away you go," Sarkisian told reporters earlier in the month. "This was obviously a unique situation with the signing period where 19 kids were already signed — which we feel very good about and we think they're going to be good additions to the program — now what do you do with those last few spots knowing the majority of the players are off the board and they're already signed and going to other schools."

https://247sports.com/Article/steve-sarkisian-texas-football-coach-lessons-learned-from-working-with-nick-saban-at-alabama--160743717/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

the schedule is slightly tougher next year

I'd say it's a lot tougher next year. Even just looking within the B12 - who is supposed to be worse than they were last year? Okie Lite? ISU - marginally? That's kind of why last year was such a huge fuckup. We should have slept-walked at worst to the B12CG and couldn't even get there. 

Adding to that ULL should be a tough 1st game test. Arky doesn't really concern me but it's on the road against a team that historically hates us. 10-2 in 2021 would be a great start for the Sark era in my book (obviously - it would be our best record since 2009).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'd say it's a lot tougher next year. Even just looking within the B12 - who is supposed to be worse than they were last year? Okie Lite? ISU - marginally? That's kind of why last year was such a huge fuckup. We should have slept-walked at worst to the B12CG and couldn't even get there. 

Adding to that ULL should be a tough 1st game test. Arky doesn't really concern me but it's on the road against a team that historically hates us. 10-2 in 2021 would be a great start for the Sark era in my book (obviously - it would be our best record since 2009).

I'm talking 10 wins including bowl game.  Herman was 9-3 in 2018 and would have likely been 9-3 last year  before bowl/champ games.

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I'm talking 10 wins including bowl game.  Herman was 9-3 in 2018 and would have likely been 9-3 last year  before bowl/champ games.

Gotcha. 9-3 would still be acceptable I feel - depending on how it shakes out. 8-4 and I'd get nervous again.

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Gotcha. 9-3 would still be acceptable I feel - depending on how it shakes out. 8-4 and I'd get nervous again.

I'd have to see how the 8-4 shakes out before I'd say "nervous." If any of the 4 is a team like Baylor, Kansas, KSU or Tech, I'd be pretty pissed off.  If it's ULL, OU, ISU and one of Arkansas/OK State/WV, I'd be like, yeah that sounds about right.  OU and ISU are top 10 teams and ULL is returning a lot of talent. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

there is an eyeball test in how you look winning and losing to particular teams(see Texas Basketball) but this league isn't that tough.  with a full normal spring and fall I expect him to win pretty big.  He isn't doing a rebuild and I don't expect rebuild results.  the initial staff we have gives me more confidence than Charlie or Herman's.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

there is an eyeball test in how you look winning and losing to particular teams(see Texas Basketball) but this league isn't that tough.  with a full normal spring and fall I expect him to win pretty big.  He isn't doing a rebuild and I don't expect rebuild results.  the initial staff we have gives me more confidence than Charlie or Herman's.

I agree that this league isn't that tough and wasn't trying to suggest otherwise. Just making the point that last year it was especially not tough and Herman blew it.

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

This league isn't that tough, but we have only had a shot to win it... checks notes... twice in the last 11 years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

The point is that we fell short of that milestone largely due to substandard coaching.

Oh, I know the point and I agree.  But I will believe that Sark is the guy to lead this program the day he is holding a Big 12 trophy and not a minute before.  For a league that is sooooo easy to win, I would hope we would have more than 3 championships in its 25 year history.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

the 3 years of Charlie still have us with PTSD.  if Herman comes after Mack and has similar results to what he ended up doing after 4 years we would be much less shell shocked.  Sark is coming in with people at the end of their rope. kind of like Mack after McWilliams and Mackovic to be honest.  There is talent here just like when Mack took over from Mackovic.  hoping for similar early Mack results but with a Big 12 champ or 2 in the next 4.

9 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Given that we have significant questions at WR, OL, CB, S, and LB, I'm at:

7 or less underperformance

8 wins disappointing but acceptable floor

9 wins solid year

10+ overperformance and koolaid time

Those Qs are warranted. I'd like to think that with new coaching and under a new scheme we have guys step up and give us better play than we saw last year - even if on paper we aren't as talented. I think this could be especially true at a position group like LB (or WR) and might be hesitant to even list it as a concern if I'm being optimistic. Whereas position groups like OL and CB might need more experience or innate ability to excel regardless of coaching.

@Frank Gallagher sure - but is anyone questioning that this is the most talented roster he's had as a HC? 

Edited by ztejas

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Those Qs are warranted. I'd like to think that with new coaching and under a new scheme we have guys step up and give us better play than we saw last year - even if on paper we aren't as talented. I think this could be especially true at a position group like LB (or WR) and might be hesitant to even list it as a concern if I'm being optimistic. Whereas position groups like OL and CB might need more experience or innate ability to excel regardless of coaching.

@Frank Gallagher sure - but is anyone questioning that this is the most talented roster he's had as a HC? 

Developing trust and new leadership within this current roster will be critical for immediate success.  Last year's Bama team really bought in and from Saban's comments was incredibly together.  Hopefully SARK can foster much better camaraderie on this 2021 TEXAS team which will lead to better success on the field.

28 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Quick question for Sark: Hypothetically, of course. Your offense has played like shit for 55 minutes, but has somehow managed to catch fire, along with the D, and absolutely dominated the opponent for the last five minutes. With only seconds left, your team has scored to pull within one point. The opponents are dazed, back on their heels, appear to be demoralized and uncertain. Do you (A) kick the extra point and go for overtime, or (B) go for two and the win, right now?

I'm going to break my computer screen.  I don't know what pissed me off more... terrible decisions in the ou game or going for it on 4th down against ISU when a FG would have made it a 7 point game putting all the pressure on ISU to score a TD with little time left.

• Rage+1 1

34 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Quick question for Sark: Hypothetically, of course. Your offense has played like shit for 55 minutes, but has somehow managed to catch fire, along with the D, and absolutely dominated the opponent for the last five minutes. With only seconds left, your team has scored to pull within one point. The opponents are dazed, back on their heels, appear to be demoralized and uncertain. Do you (A) kick the extra point and go for overtime, or (B) go for two and the win, right now?

Question two, after your bad decision above do you correct it again in overtime with a chance to win or do you tie the game and hope Rattler fucks up to hand you a win?

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

People are making much of Louisiana as our season opener in the fall. Louisiana was definitely a surprise team in 2020, but I am not sure I would consider them a burgeoning powerhouse.

Louisiana did beat Iowa State (and we did not), but that was Game One, and it was largely done at the expense of ISU's special teams. Louisiana beat Iowa State in points scored (the only statistic that really matters), but not in rushing, passing, total offense, or time of possession. So, it isn't as if this team dominated Iowa State. Louisiana scored on a punt return and a kickoff return. 

We should be well aware of the threat they are, and I trust we won't have the special teams breakdowns we have had in the past (or that ISU had), as we now have 8 or 10 special teams coaches. Just my two cents.

**And I know we have been burned over and over by special teams horrors, turtling playcalling, and season opening losses to shitty teams. This coaching staff is not those.

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

the 3 years of Charlie still have us with PTSD.  if Herman comes after Mack and has similar results to what he ended up doing after 4 years we would be much less shell shocked.  Sark is coming in with people at the end of their rope. kind of like Mack after McWilliams and Mackovic to be honest.  There is talent here just like when Mack took over from Mackovic.  hoping for similar early Mack results but with a Big 12 champ or 2 in the next 4.

I was actually thinking about the parallels between Mack and Sark and their predecessors the other day. Strong was a lot like McWilliams -- career defensive guy, limited head coaching experience at a smaller program where they had early success, genuinely likeable and way, way out of their depth as the head coach at Texas. Mackovick and Herman were both considered innovative offensive minds, always the smartest guys in the room, aloof, completely un-self aware, but both were competent football coaches. They also both made mind bottling assistant coaching hires that ultimately doomed them. On the plus side, they also both identified and recruited talent to Austin and they both insisted on upgrading facilities that had become outdated. Sark is walking into the end of a facility upgrade that should benefit him just as Mack did. As far as the roster goes, Sark is inheriting Bijan and Mack had Ricky. Sark has Alfred Collins, Mack had Rogers and Hampton. Sark and Mack took much different paths to become head coach at Texas and they obviously bring different things to the table as coaches so a lot of the parallels end there, but I do think their situations are somewhat analogous.

• Hook 'Em 8

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I was actually thinking about the parallels between Mack and Sark and their predecessors the other day. Strong was a lot like McWilliams -- career defensive guy, limited head coaching experience at a smaller program where they had early success, genuinely likeable and way, way out of their depth as the head coach at Texas. Mackovick and Herman were both considered innovative offensive minds, always the smartest guys in the room, aloof, completely un-self aware, but both were competent football coaches. They also both made mind bottling assistant coaching hires that ultimately doomed them. On the plus side, they also both identified and recruited talent to Austin and they both insisted on upgrading facilities that had become outdated. Sark is walking into the end of a facility upgrade that should benefit him just as Mack did. As far as the roster goes, Sark is inheriting Bijan and Mack had Ricky. Sark has Alfred Collins, Mack had Rogers and Hampton. Sark and Mack took much different paths to become head coach at Texas and they obviously bring different things to the table as coaches so a lot of the parallels end there, but I do think their situations are somewhat analogous.

Mack had Sally's Cookies to help with recruiting, Sark has a Poleassassin and a monkey to ferry money to recruits. Advantage Sark!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

As far as the roster goes, Sark is inheriting Bijan and Mack had Ricky. Sark has Alfred Collins, Mack had Rogers and Hampton. Sark and Mack took much different paths to become head coach at Texas and they obviously bring different things to the table as coaches so a lot of the parallels end there, but I do think their situations are somewhat analogous.

Let's just hope Sark handles his first quarterback controversy better than Mack did.  

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Feel the SPEED

This board loves to make fun of him, but his footwork and route running are fantastic. Kid is constantly open, Mosses kids all the time, shows an aptitude for blocking, and has excellent hands. I think he will end up starting at Texas eventually. 

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Ah, well, in the narrow definition of board, I suppose not. On the SurlyHorns expanded universe, yes.

You should be one of the first to recognize that the football board =/= the recruiting board. There’s a reason I spend more time over there, generally. 

Just how good is Kyle Flood?

Texas has a once in a generation player at running back. The word best describing our OL is "potential". Potential means you haven't done anything yet.

Yes, we can point out the warts on just about every other "skill" player, and Casey Thompson in particular has played exactly one half of a credible game as a "starter". Now, I'm looking at that OL and imagining. Flood's abilities with the pieces he's inherited will be the difference between a nightmare and sticky sheets.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Just how good is Kyle Flood?

Texas has a once in a generation player at running back. The word best describing our OL is "potential". Potential means you haven't done anything yet.

Yes, we can point out the warts on just about every other "skill" player, and Casey Thompson in particular has played exactly one half of a credible game as a "starter". Now, I'm looking at that OL and imagining. Flood's abilities with the pieces he's inherited will be the difference between a nightmare and sticky sheets.

Top 5 guy in the college game right now. Marrone is #1, but Flood's got every skin on the wall you could want.

4 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

People are making much of Louisiana as our season opener in the fall. Louisiana was definitely a surprise team in 2020, but I am not sure I would consider them a burgeoning powerhouse.

Louisiana did beat Iowa State (and we did not), but that was Game One, and it was largely done at the expense of ISU's special teams. Louisiana beat Iowa State in points scored (the only statistic that really matters), but not in rushing, passing, total offense, or time of possession. So, it isn't as if this team dominated Iowa State. Louisiana scored on a punt return and a kickoff return. 

We should be well aware of the threat they are, and I trust we won't have the special teams breakdowns we have had in the past (or that ISU had), as we now have 8 or 10 special teams coaches. Just my two cents.

**And I know we have been burned over and over by special teams horrors, turtling playcalling, and season opening losses to shitty teams. This coaching staff is not those.

I agree, and I am sorry but if Texas lines up and actually plays to their potential, Iowa State is not a team that I am scared of either. Campbell is a great coach who gets every ounce out of his guys, but we still outclass them at every position on the field. Iowa State forces you to beat them or beat yourself, and Herman and Strong were expert level mensches at the latter. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

They're not worldbeaters, but they're pretty good. They went 10-1 with wins over ISU and App State and their only loss being by 3 to a good Coastal Carolina team.  The biggest reason it will be a tough matchup is that they return something like 19 of 22 starters, including their QB.  Meanwhile, we'll be replacing many key starters, including QB, while implementing new schemes on both sides of the ball. It's a bad game for us to have as Game 1, but it's definitely still winnable. We'll learn a lot about this coaching staff right away. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Texas has a once in a generation player at running back.

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Easy.

3 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Stop it

I thought it was well established that this board (meaning Surly as a whole - I don’t play Football vs 9.95er wars) has no clue what a generation is and thinks it to be somewhere between 10-20 years.