2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

2 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

It’s Nahlin-esque, and you should be embarrassed every time you write it.

Comparing me to Nahlin hurts, and makes me sad. 

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Nahlin is no where near as petty as @closetojumping. I imagine it was just a voice to text transcription typo that gave ctj uncontrollable giggles. Nahlin would spend 2 hours trying to work in some analogy between Chris Del Conte's performance and the Center for Disease Control's pandemic response and end up with half his audience confused and the other half also confused but laughing anyway.

This is correct. @SydneyCarton had it happen in a text group and I took it and ran with it. I’ll continue to do so, even if Reynolds Woodcock thinks less of me for it. 

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

IT:  Overall team sentiment seems overwhelmingly positive... The sentiment on the team, however, is once you enter the portal you’re gone so don’t expect Sarkisian and the new coaches to re-recruit you.

Hide contents

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

Great that Collins and Sweat are Alabama-caliber, but what about Snacks Coburn? Is he in the same category or is it no more snacks for you Keondre?

It's in the article 

Nose tackles Keondre Coburn and T’Vondre Sweat are a capable tandem. “Both are too heavy,” Coach Four said. “Sweat will be a better pro. He has more length and is naturally strong. You can’t move him. He’s like a big tree in there. Keondre loves football. We felt like people couldn’t run up the middle on us.”

53 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

KC was using the 2-4-5 defense last night, though it appears Texas is going to continue to use the 3/4-3/2-5 defense that was installed last year.

My bad, it was TB that was using the 2-4-5 last night. I think deep down Kwiatkowski would love to have this defense base towards the end of the season.

DT -Sweat/Coburn

DT - Collins/Ojomo

LOLB - Thornton/Jones

ROLB - Oghoufo/Bimage

ILB - Overshown/Ford

ILB - Mitchell/Gbenda

CB - Dunn/Crawford

NB - Jamison

S - Foster/Cook

S - Adimora/Thompson

CB - Thompson/Barron

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

My bad, it was TB that was using the 2-4-5 last night. I think deep down Kwiatkowski would love to have this defense base towards the end of the season.

DT -Sweat/Coburn

DT - Collins/Ojomo

LOLB - Thornton/Jones

ROLB - Oghoufo/Bimage

ILB - Overshown/Ford

ILB - Mitchell/Gbenda

CB - Dunn/Crawford

NB - Jamison

S - Foster/Cook

S - Adimora/Thompson

CB - Thompson/Barron

Oof hope Gbenda or Ford beats out Mitchell. Otherwise we need to rip Henry To'oTo'o out of the portal

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Comparing me to Nahlin hurts, and makes me sad. 

This is correct. @SydneyCarton had it happen in a text group and I took it and ran with it. I’ll continue to do so, even if Reynolds Woodcock thinks less of me for it. 

What’s the upside to admitting to being on a text thread with SydneyCarton?  Asking for a friend. 

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Taking that many transfers in a year would be a bad idea. We already have 3 transfers this year.  We need to save some for HS players in the 22 class. 

Sark said in his PC they had 4 spots left over potentially for transfers this year.. Don’t think of this as a normally scenario with how many kids are going to be moving around due to the extra year counter from COVID.

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

They can be multiple up front and have different packages on passing downs, etc., but I’d be tempted to play Collins at one of the edge positions.  At least on base defense downs - you could spin him down to DT on pass rush situations to replace Coburn or Sweat and get another more athletic guy on the edge.  

But I would strongly suspect Collins, Sweat, Coburn, and one of the OLBs is much closer to playing the best 11 than Collins, Sweat, and two of the OLBs.   And Collins is probably as athletic as those OLBs, anyway.  The article from the coaches pretty much says that.  Collins is going to be better than the other guys on the roster at either DT or edge, so if our OLBs are thought to be JAGs compared to the DL, just don’t play them.

I would also like to see more speed at safety than we’ve been playing with in the Herman era.  The switch flipping for Tyler Owens would be really nice.  If not, I’d look at the best corner who isn’t starting and who is actually fast (read: not Cook) to move to one of the safety spots.  Jerrin Thompson / Adimora and Foster seems dicey as a starting combo against teams more athletic than KState and Colorado (not to mention their QBs sucked, too).

Like others, I’d appreciate a LB stepping up to replace Mitchell.  Gbenda seems like he can run and was better last year than his freshman year.  The old coaches liked Ford, but I can’t tell if that was more about good attitude or ability.  Owens and Adimora are big enough to spin down, too.  Or I guess the new coaches just not putting up with any shit from Mitchell works, too.

I don't think Sark brought in the OLB's from LSU and ND because he thought they were jags.

6 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Does he have a "never gonna play LB" mindset or was that topic never broached? Can't remember but I think he's tall like Overshown and wonder what an extra 10lbs or so could do for him and this team. 

The former. Every coach he's had at UT has tried to move him.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

Sark said in his PC they had 4 spots left over potentially for transfers this year.. Don’t think of this as a normally scenario with how many kids are going to be moving around due to the extra year counter from COVID.

He wasn't counting Ovie since he's not on campus yet. We really have three spots left. Some of those might be saved for 2022 recruits/transfers. 

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

He wasn't counting Ovie since he's not on campus yet. We really have three spots left. Some of those might be saved for 2022 recruits/transfers. 

I'm sure we will see transfers as well to open up more spots. Spring to fall camp will be very interesting this year in regards to that. The whole landscape of college football will be weird to watch from the transfer persepctive.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

21 hours ago, Fud said:

Anyone care to take a stab at who the coaches are? 

Assuming they're from the pool of eight assistants who weren't retained from 2020, I'll go with

Coach 1: Clearly a defensive guy. My guess is Ash

Coach 2: Only had two quotes and both were on offense, so this is tough. Could be any of Yurcich, Hand, or Boulware. I'll go with Boulware.

Coach 3: Comments on both offense and defense. Think it could be Yurcich, Hutzler, or Valai. I'll go with Hutzler. 

Coach 4: All comments were about the front six, and Overshown was the only one mentioned that wasn't an on the ball guy, and I think Hutzler would have complimented more of the younger LBs, so I think it's Giles or Hagen. I'll go with Hagen. 

I am going to say this with 100% certainty, not all of those dudes were on field coaches.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I'm sure we will see transfers as well to open up more spots. Spring to fall camp will be very interesting this year in regards to that. The whole landscape of college football will be weird to watch from the transfer persepctive.

Nope. Transfers don’t open up more spots, because the limit is how many guys we can sign, not total roster numbers. 

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Nope. Transfers don’t open up more spots, because the limit is how many guys we can sign, not total roster numbers. 

True I suppose but we coould upgrade talent in that aspect. 

I do know this, I haven't been this excited about Texas football in at least 5-7 years. 

Has there been word if we're going to hire more people to work under Becton that excel in specific parts of S&C?

Edited by BurntOrange&White

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

True I suppose but we coould upgrade talent in that aspect. 

I do know this, I haven't been this excited about Texas football in at least 5-7 years. 

Has there been word if we're going to hire more people to work under Becton that excel in specific parts of S&C?

Becton's staff seems to be pretty much done: https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-athletic-performance-staff-Torre-Becton-Steve-Sarkisian-velocity-training-sports-science-160111825/

• Hook 'Em 2

Jeff Howe: Minimizing attrition critical to Steve Sarkisian managing, building Texas roster

If one were to look simply at where 247Sports has ranked the most recent Texas recruiting classes, head coach Steve Sarkisian should have plenty in the cupboard to put the Longhorns in the mix for a national championship in his debut season. Obviously, there’s a lot more to winning the College Football Playoff than acquiring talent, but Sarkisian’s first Texas squad meets one of the most significant requirements needed to claim the game’s biggest prize.

According to Brandon Marcello of 247Sports, data collected over 20 years of the 247Sports Composite (starting with the 2002 recruiting cycle) shows that every national champion in that span has had at least one top 10 class within the four years leading up to their victory. The Longhorns met the criteria in 2005 with a 2002 class that was ranked No. 1 in America and headlined by Vince Young leading the way en route to claiming the program's first outright national title since 1969.

Texas didn’t put together a No. 1-ranked recruiting class under Tom Herman, but the program recruited at a level under the former head coach, who was fired on Jan. 2 after compiling a 32-18 record over four seasons, that it hadn’t since the success of Mack Brown’s halcyon days allowed the Longhorns to scoop up top-tier talent by the boatload.
Ossai has a chance to be the highest-drafted member of a 2018 signing class that ranked No. 3 nationally. (Photo: Troy Taormina, USA TODAY Sports)

Herman’s three full recruiting cycles on the job produced classes ranked No. 3 (2018), No. 3 (2019) and No. 8 by 247Sports. The results on the trail put the Longhorns in elite company with Texas joining Alabama, Clemson and Georgia as the only programs to secure hauls ranked in the top 10 nationally in that stretch. With that said, attrition and poor player development have been as synonymous with Texas as tremendous recruiting classes since the program’s downward trend began in 2010 under Brown when the Longhorns ended a string of nine 10-win seasons in a row with a forgettable 5-7 campaign one year removed from playing the Crimson Tide for the BCS title.

Based on data collected by Horns247 in a multiple-year study of Texas recruiting classes, a class reaching and exceeding a 30-percent bust rate puts a group in danger of creating a significant gap in the talent pipeline. Calculating the bust rate helps explain how the Longhorns fell so far, so quickly. With attrition being the primary factor in the bust rate of a class, only two (1999, 2006) of the 11 recruiting classes that contributed largely to the Longhorns winning no fewer than nine games in each of Brown’s first 12 seasons on the job had higher than a 30-percent bust rate.

On the flip side, three of the next five recruiting cycles (2009-2013) saw Texas end up with classes that racked up bust rates of 30 percent or higher. Nearly half of the hauls in 2009 (42.9 percent) and 2013 (46.7 percent) had bust rates so high that almost half of each of those hauls contributed virtually nothing on the field.

Any time there’s a coaching change, attrition rates are going to be high. The 2013 class, for example, played only one season for Brown before he was replaced by Charlie Strong and the 2016 class (the No. 7-ranked class in the country by 247Sports, which was Strong’s last full cycle) had a bust rate of 39.3 percent made up mostly of players who were gone by the start of Herman’s second season.

Whereas Strong and Herman were both hellbent on changing the culture put in place by the previous regime and building the program in a new image, the fact that Sarkisian hasn’t stepped into the job intent on scorching the earth could allow him to minimize attrition. It would be huge if he could because those three classes that have put Texas in a group of teams fit to compete for a national title have already experienced a decent share of departures.

Brennan Eagles, Joseph Ossai and Caden Sterns don’t count against the bust rate of the 2018 class since they declared early for the 2021 NFL Draft and left the program as starters at their respective positions with major contributions made along the way. Based on the criteria established by Horns247, neither do recent defections like Ayodele Adeoye, Jalen Green and Keaontay Ingram since they contributed significantly before hitting the NCAA transfer portal (the class officially has a running bust rate of 15.4 percent).

With that said, almost half of the class isn’t on Sarkisian’s roster as he and his staff evaluate what they’ve got ahead of spring practice, which is scheduled to begin on March 23. The group is far from a lost cause, however, since eight of the 15 signees who remain in the program (Joshua Moore, Junior Angilau, Christian Jones, Keondre Coburn, Moro Ojomo, DeMarvion Overshown, D'Shawn Jamison and B.J. Foster) can be penciled in as starters entering spring practice, two others (Ryan Bujcevski and Cameron Dicker) have the potential to form the top kicking duo in the Big 12 in 2021, Anthony Cook has significant experience and Casey Thompson could be Sarkisian’s first starting quarterback.

There’s no sugarcoating the 21. 7-percent bust rate of the 2019 class, a number that factors in the departure five-star signee Bru McCoy. Four-star signees Javonne Shepherd and Kenyatta Watson II eventually hit the transfer portal and so did junior college signees Caleb Johnson and Willie Tyler, both of whom never played a snap for the Longhorns. The bust rate doesn’t even include De'Gabriel Floyd, who had to medically retire from football due to spinal stenosis at the end of the 2019 season. It also doesn’t include Derrian Brown or Peter Mpagi, who’ve dealt with their own medical issues that prevented either from factoring into the mix at running back and defensive line, respectively.

In the 2020 class, Xavion Alford left what could’ve turned out to be an opportunity to start in the secondary on the table to transfer to USC before the Alamo Bowl win over Colorado. The road to a starting job was rockier for Ja'Quinden Jackson, but if he’s going to hit what could be a significantly high ceiling at the collegiate level, it’s going to be at Utah, not Texas after he transferred and joined the Utes in December.

Make no mistake about it though, there’s plenty of blue-chip talent left over from the last two classes for Sarkisian and his staff to mold into a team fit to compete for a championship. Even though health issues have forced various stops and starts in the careers of Jordan Whittington, Jake Smith, Tyler Johnson, Brayden Liebrock and Isaiah Hookfin, they’re five of the 13 247Sports Composite five- and four-star signees from the class who are expected to be on the field next month going through drills under the direction of Sarkisian’s staff.

There might not be two better NFL prospects in the program than Bijan Robinson and Alfred Collins. Along with Andrej Karic, Jake Majors, Jaylan Ford and Jerrin Thompson, Robinson and Collins were two of the six members of the 2020 class who started in the Alamo Bowl and Hudson Card is going to get a chance to compete with Thompson in what’s expected to be a hotly-contested spring quarterback battle.

Things haven’t played out perfectly for every member of Herman’s three full-cycle classes, but if they did he’d most likely still be getting ready to move into the new head coach’s office once the south end zone renovation at Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium is complete instead of Sarkisian. While there might not be enough tools in the toolbox to get the Longhorns into the College Football Playoff in Sarkisian’s first season, there’s plenty there for him to be in a position to get Texas over the hump where Herman’s tenure stalled out and built a program with staying power if the new regime can keep attrition to a minimum.

• Hook 'Em 2

(Chip Brown) Morning Brew: Coach sizes up Texas' five 'most feared' players

Good Morning Horns247!! I spoke to a college coach who is familiar with the Longhorns' roster and asked for the five players that coach considered the "most-feared" on the UT team. Here's what that coach said:

DL Alfred Collins:

"Collins is just so explosive. He really started figuring out how to use his hands and play with a better pad level late in the (2020) season. What was most impressive about him, too, though, was his ability to get in passing lanes, even when he couldn't get to the quarterback. You can only do that when you're strong enough to control a blocker and keep your eyes on the quarterback, then separate and get your hands up in the passing lane. This guy is going to be a big problem for the Big 12."

QB Casey Thompson:

"Anyone who saw the second half of that Alamo Bowl win over Colorado had to be impressed with what Thompson did. He was totally engaged in the offense, knew what he was looking for in the passing game and made some nice adjustments in the pocket to avoid the rush and still complete passes downfield. If that's the starting point for him, that's a pretty darn good starting point."

CB D'Shawn Jamison:

"He's not what they're looking for in recruiting right now. He's not big. He's not long. But all he does is make plays - and he doesn't seem to carry bad plays forward. He plays more physical than his size, which you love as a coach. In the return game, the guy is always a threat to take it back for six. They don't win the game at Oklahoma State this year without his big return."

LB DeMarvion Overshown:

"I thought Overshown was the most improved player on the team by the end of the season. He and Chris Adimora were being targeted by teams in the RPO game early in the season, including Oklahoma. And by the end of the season, Overshown was making plays and constantly around the football. He's got the lateral quickness you're looking for at the linebacker spot in the Big 12. He's got to get stronger to be able to take on blocks and shed 'em, but you can tell he plays with confidence, and that makes up for a lot."

RB Bijan Robinson:

"Robinson sure looks like he's next in line among the great running backs at Texas with Earl Campbell, Ricky Williams, Cedric Benson, Jamaal Charles and the others. What you love about the kid is how well he picked up the offense as a freshman, how well he catches the ball and how hard he is to bring down. He doesn't go down on first contact. You really have to gang tackle him. And from everything I hear, he's a humble kid and a great teammate. When you think of Robinson and Collins being freshmen, man that'll scare ya as an opposing coach."

Note: If there's an honorable mention, the coach said he also really likes the strength and agility of defensive tackles T'Vondre Sweat and Keondre Coburn. But the coach added if you're looking for "most feared" players from an opposing coach standpoint, the pick on the defensive line was Collins, because Collins can hurt you multiple ways and was just starting to put it all together late in the 2020 season.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

247Sports updates 2021 college football top 25 rankings

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/College-football-top-25-rankings-2021-season-Alabama-coach-Nick-Saban-Ohio-State-Oklahoma-Clemson-160644273/#160644273_1

Relevant teams:

#2 Oklahoma

#6 Iowa State

#8 Texas A&M

#20 Texas

#24 Oklahoma State

#25 Louisiana-Lafayette