Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

5 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

My nephew works for a construction company and they had a large piece of equipment stolen.  All they had to do was call the manufacturer and get a location from them.  It was sitting in a field in Baytown and they just had to go pick it up.  The police told him that it was not unusual for that to happen.  Thieves steal the equipment, and then park it somewhere that they can keep an eye on it to see if it is equipped with a locator.  If nobody comes after it in a few days then they're home free.

That's how they got my Acura Integra back in the 90's.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/10/2024 at 11:16 PM, Superhero said:

I feel like dogshit right now. I woke up with some back pain and thought it was because I did yard work yesterday. Then my legs started aching and I thought it was because I went hiking with my boy.

I have a 101 fever, sensitive skin, and it hurts to stand up straight. The Covid test came back negative.

Is this what syphilis feels like?

Whew. It’s not Super AIDS, but rather a bout of Covid that is worse than the last time I got it.

It’s been nice not working the past 2 days, especially since I haven’t a day off since mid February.

The shitty thing is we leave for Japan on Saturday for the kids’ spring break. I should be okay by middle of next week, but still sucks getting it right before I go on vacation. 

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Horn_Spanker said:

Shoddy Craftsmanship

My 40 year old microwave died today.

See that's the point where I'd be like, "Took you long enough. FINALLY I have an excuse to get a decent one..."

2 hours ago, Horn_Spanker said:

Shoddy Craftsmanship

My 40 year old microwave died today.

I’ve got a Kitchen Aid mixer that was my grandma’s and is pushing 50. Still runs just fine. There’s a gear or two that are fairly loose, not near the level of South Austin’s mom though, but once you know that’s not a problem. 

I’ll be replacing it next year, just because it’s that’s hideous 70’s avacado shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Rimbo said:

See that's the point where I'd be like, "Took you long enough. FINALLY I have an excuse to get a decent one..."

I think that about my TV everyday. Just die already. The 32" CRT really sticks out in my West Elm living room.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, 52-80 said:

In today's "things that make you feel old" episode... youtube told me that this happened seventeen years ago

makes me feel old that YouTube has been around so long

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Of the common foreign objects that appear in food people act like a strand of hair is the height of their disgust. But thats just like…a single filament of protein. 

a gnat/fly/bug is a million times worse and people casually brush those out of their soup. Thats a complete organism with a belly full of shit. 

8 hours ago, Superhero said:

What makes you think he's not thinking of pizza face?

image.thumb.png.b74ffe0701fa5bab8b2e13c49d7f5674.png

Beautiful patina on that leather

Edited by 52-80

8 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Of the common foreign objects that appear in food people act like a strand of hair is the height of their disgust. But thats just like…a single filament of protein.

Hairs don't bother me that much. Unless it looks particularly pube-y.

• Rage+1 1

On 3/15/2024 at 7:00 AM, Underdog said:

Got hit with a respiratory infection yesterday and out from work today.  I couldn’t catch this shit next week. 

Same here and it's been miserable for over a week. Saw the doc Thursday and am doing better but damn this sucks. Hope you are doing better...

• Like 1

my whole life, ive never known if some people have hypersensitivity to the state of their bodies, or if they're just lying about it.

when they say shit like "i just had a lot of cakes and sweets this morning im kinda tweaking" or "i started an organic vegetable diet since last week and my mind feels so clear and refreshed" or "i feel so lethargic because ive been glued to my desk working all weekend".  is that ultra exaggerated?

maybe my body is uniquely resilient but i dont jet lag, i dont get sugar highs, i dont 'feel' caffeine, my fitness level has 0 short term variability...food is for gratification but doesnt really change my health or perception of health.

Jet lag is just weird.  I've been to multiple continents and used to take multi timezone trips for work 2 or 3 times in a given week.  I had two bad experiences I had were not to other continents, but one arriving in Hawaii, we finally got to Kuauai hotel room after a long day.  And I sat down on the bed to unpack some shit and I stood up and it was like being launched through a time machine on mushrooms.  Weirdest feeling.  My wife gets out of the shower (no pics) and asks, "Did you just feel something weird?"  It was really bizarre.  And the only other time it really hit me, I was only in New Orleans.  Quick non-stop  back on SWA.  Wife picks me up and we went to this "pick up your season tickets" deal they used to do at the Disch.  I hadn't had any time to drink anything at the airport or at the event, maybe still slightly hung over from the night before but this is like 5:30p at this point.  And I remember walking down the 1b concourse to get to that downstairs events space.  And I just stopped dead in my tracks like I felt I was gonna have a TIA.  From a 75 minute flight.  Freaked the hell outta me and her.  

Other than that, I've traversed 10 hour time changes and never had an issue.  To your point, caffeine never did anything to me.  I don't drink soda.  I can have 2 cups of coffee at 10pm and it does nothing except make me wanna take a shit.  I never paid much attention to carbs.  But people did warn me when I quit alcohol that I'd get a sweet tooth.  I didn't, or haven't I guess.  But I do find myself craving carbs a few times per month like energy drinks, and bread, and starches.  Stuff I used to be able to take or leave.  But yeah, I've never been a sit down and eat a piece of pie or stop off for ice cream or a big gulp of soda guy.  I dunno.  We all change as we get older.  I do feel like I respond better to cardio activity in my middle age and I do sleep better when I get some, so there's that.  I think back sometimes to, "I could knock back a steak with a side of red meat with 6 beers and 2 coffees at 10pm and be comfortably asleep at midnight for 7 solid hours."  But then I remembered, "Yeah dumbass, that was half your life ago.  Right, right, right..."   

On 3/16/2024 at 11:54 PM, SHOOTER12 said:

Same here and it's been miserable for over a week. Saw the doc Thursday and am doing better but damn this sucks. Hope you are doing better...

Appreciate it. Usually given antibiotics when dealing with a URI but not this time only given pills to help with cough. 

When was the last time you were asked or had to fill out anything about a peanut allergy while buying a plane ticket? Never? Yep. The “peanut allergy” thing was just a cost-cutting guide by airlines to move to the cheaper snack mix. 

10 minutes ago, Helobious said:

When was the last time you were asked or had to fill out anything about a peanut allergy while buying a plane ticket? Never? Yep. The “peanut allergy” thing was just a cost-cutting guide by airlines to move to the cheaper snack mix. 

Well that, and the whole "deadly allergen" thing. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Well that, and the whole "deadly allergen" thing. 

I’m saying if you’re not getting peanuts on an airplane it’s not because someone specific has a peanut allergy on board. 

17 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’m saying if you’re not getting peanuts on an airplane it’s not because someone specific has a peanut allergy on board. 

Well no shit, Sherlock. 

It's because of the likelihood and risk level of anyone on board having an allergy. Not because of certain knowledge about someone on board. 

Your argument is with whoever gave you the impression that this policy is somehow related to a flight-specific allergen questionnaire required of all passengers. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

25 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Well no shit, Sherlock. 

It's because of the likelihood and risk level of anyone on board having an allergy. Not because of certain knowledge about someone on board. 

Your argument is with whoever gave you the impression that this policy is somehow related to a flight-specific allergen questionnaire required of all passengers. 

I’m just glad to be opposite helobius on this take.  Thank god

changing gears   I always try to give a friend or someone in my network business  my ask is they start with the best possible deal and allow me to shop it with one other competitor  inevitably, associate didn’t give me the best possible deal