Bourbon

Jimbaround

10 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

This Total Wine 1792 FP is fucking tits. Banana up front and dark chocolate on the back end. Good thing I have three more. I pity you that don’t have one.

That's good to hear. I have a Spec's store pick that I don't really like, but wanted to give the bottle another chance. Got one of these TW store picks a couple of weeks ago and will open soon. 

10 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Is it really that beautiful?  Genuinely curious,  I’ve never been to Kentucky, and the only reason I would consider going would be brown water or horses.  If it’s actually scenic that would be a selling point for the better half.

the bourbon alone is worth the trip, but then you have the green, rolling hills along the drive.  very scenic.  if you're still having a hard time justifying the trip, you can work in civil war history (shiloh), baseball (louisville slugger), and horseracing (churchill downs).  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

the bourbon alone is worth the trip, but then you have the green, rolling hills along the drive.  very scenic.  if you're still having a hard time justifying the trip, you can work in civil war history (shiloh), baseball (louisville slugger), and horseracing (churchill downs).  

Shiloh's down in Tennessee, but your point stands about lots of things to do in Kentucky other than bourbon and horses.  Plus there's some Civil War stuff in KY like Perryville.  

4 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

That's good to hear. I have a Spec's store pick that I don't really like, but wanted to give the bottle another chance. Got one of these TW store picks a couple of weeks ago and will open soon. 

I've had both a Spec's and a TW store pick.  While I like both, the TW was clearly superior. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Correct they are similar in secondary value, but one is miles ahead of the other in taste and overall quality. Same with ETL and RHF. Similar in secondary price and that’s about it.

Eh, I generally like both but have had a couple of BB turds like 2017.  I thought I liked ‘19 BB the best until the ‘20 BB beat it side by side for me.  

I really only wanted the ORVW open on the shelf so people would stop asking why I have 100 bottles open but no Pappy.  

But in general neither is worth $600+   

44 minutes ago, USCATX said:

Eh, I generally like both but have had a couple of BB turds like 2017.  I thought I liked ‘19 BB the best until the ‘20 BB beat it side by side for me.  

I really only wanted the ORVW open on the shelf so people would stop asking why I have 100 bottles open but no Pappy.  

But in general neither is worth $600+   

I guess I'll find out this weekend during my birthday. 

On 2/5/2021 at 4:44 PM, Hank Kingsley said:

Excited to try this Peerless. It’s a Bourbon Hounds of Houston barrel pick and age is a little over 5 years (I think most Peerless are closer to 3 years).

6d32baecdb3a926fead245517e63d897.jpg

This bottle was $85 plus tax. Total Wine’s store pick is $112.99 (main reason I’ve never purchased it). That's an insane gap in price. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a few pours on different nights and some thoughts: 

It's good.  But it doesn't really taste like a rye. Not much spice, and I definitely don't notice any typical rye notes on the finish. It says "double barreled", and I get the sense that it was finished in a red wine barrel. If I had to compare to another bottle, I'd say it's like a proofed up OF 1910 without the complexity. 

Will happily drink the rest but doubtful I'd buy another. Not great value. 

so i got my 2020 george t stagg from the k&l lottery a month ago, but apparently they had some leftover bottles, which all hit the website at the same time on tuesday afternoon around 1:12pm.

luckily i was at my laptop, and i tried to get a bunch more stuff but the website kept crashing and there were probably 200+ gandorfs doing exactly what i was doing, but i picked up my haul today.  that was the fastest my fingers have moved in decades.

(the front 7 bottles)

image.thumb.png.326ca8517fa812266ccd4e16fb82910c.png

the stuff i missed out on included w12, weller fp, stagg jr, ec18, nothing crazy like btac/pappy.  all at msrp.

• Like 3
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

so i got my 2020 george t stagg from the k&l lottery a month ago, but apparently they had some leftover bottles, which all hit the website at the same time on tuesday afternoon around 1:12pm.

luckily i was at my laptop, and i tried to get a bunch more stuff but the website kept crashing and there were probably 200+ gandorfs doing exactly what i was doing, but i picked up my haul today.  that was the fastest my fingers have moved in decades.

(the front 7 bottles)

image.thumb.png.326ca8517fa812266ccd4e16fb82910c.png

the stuff i missed out on included w12, weller fp, stagg jr, ec18, nothing crazy like btac/pappy.  all at msrp.

Christian Bale GIF by PeacockTV

• Like 1

We're moved in to our new bigger house and I have a mancave ready for development. It'll take a while, but I do now immediately have more shelf space to collect bottles. Not for collection's sake but so I can have something different regularly and to impress my friends when we can have parties again. 

A few questions for the surlys about some bottles I've been looking at but haven't pulled the trigger. Rabbit Hole seems like a cool ass bottle, but I'm automatically conservative when the bottle is more than $50 or $60, which most of them are. Can anyone vouch that it's a good one to have, and is the base model good or should I go for the pricier bottles? Also, I've avoided Angels Envy for a while for no real reason but it seems to be getting more and more popular. Is it worth it? Should I have one on the shelf? Not bourbon, but any Irish fans want to convince me that Writer's Tears is worth the price? Finally, what are some opinions on obtainable bottles for around $150-$200 that impress your friends? The most expensive bottle I've bought thus far was Whistle Pig 12 Year for about $115 and it was thoroughly enjoyable, but I'm struggling to pay any more. I'm open to scotch suggestions too. I'm looking to obtain 2-3 higher price bottles for the shelf for special occasions, and again, to impress people, cause I'm so vain.

Edited by 'stache

35 minutes ago, 'stache said:

We're moved in to our new bigger house and I have a mancave ready for development. It'll take a while, but I do now immediately have more shelf space to collect bottles. Not for collection's sake but so I can have something different regularly and to impress my friends when we can have parties again. 

A few questions for the surlys about some bottles I've been looking at but haven't pulled the trigger. Rabbit Hole seems like a cool ass bottle, but I'm automatically conservative when the bottle is more than $50 or $60, which most of them are. Can anyone vouch that it's a good one to have, and is the base model good or should I go for the pricier bottles? Also, I've avoided Angels Envy for a while for no real reason but it seems to be getting more and more popular. Is it worth it? Should I have one on the shelf? Not bourbon, but any Irish fans want to convince me that Writer's Tears is worth the price? Finally, what are some opinions on obtainable bottles for around $150-$200 that impress your friends? The most expensive bottle I've bought thus far was Whistle Pig 12 Year for about $115 and it was thoroughly enjoyable, but I'm struggling to pay any more. I'm open to scotch suggestions too. I'm looking to obtain 2-3 higher price bottles for the shelf for special occasions, and again, to impress people, cause I'm so vain.

I haven't heard great things about the standard Rabbit Hole lineup. They have some higher end bottles($120+) that are supposed to be good. 

Easily obtainable bottles around $40- 60 that should be on your shelf: Wild Turkey Rare Breed (bourbon or rye), Old Forester 1910 or 1920, Four Roses Single Barrel or Small Batch Select, Jack Daniel's Barrel Proof, Russel's Reserve Single Barrel, Maker's Mark Private Select, one of the Michter's, 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I haven't heard great things about the standard Rabbit Hole lineup. They have some higher end bottles($120+) that are supposed to be good. 

Easily obtainable bottles around $40- 60 that should be on your shelf: Wild Turkey Rare Breed (bourbon or rye), Old Forester 1910 or 1920, Four Roses Single Barrel or Small Batch Select, Jack Daniel's Barrel Proof, Russel's Reserve Single Barrel, Maker's Mark Private Select, one of the Michter's, 

image.gif.f24f98328bdc100cf25666af18f10f83.gif

On 2/9/2021 at 10:40 AM, Carl Spackler said:

Shiloh's down in Tennessee, but your point stands about lots of things to do in Kentucky other than bourbon and horses.  Plus there's some Civil War stuff in KY like Perryville.  

when you're coming from texas, thats basically the same neck of the woods.  besides, say what you want about their bourbon, jack daniels is one of the better distilleries and tours in the country.

2 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

when you're coming from texas, thats basically the same neck of the woods.  besides, say what you want about their bourbon, jack daniels is one of the better distilleries and tours in the country.

Just don’t call it bourbon while taking their tour.  Technically it is, but them’s fightin’ words in Lincoln county!

This is not good bourbon for any price.  Half as good as Dickel BiB 11 yr for 3x the price.  F off, Heaven’s Door.  I finally got so tired of looking at this bottle that I used 2/3 and killed it making a reduction for some pork belly burnt ends.  You’re welcome.  

30069A13-7E9C-44FD-924D-80F743E57A8F.png

• Haha 1

I’m gonna need a review on that Pavitt - Found one today, but the Tennessee juice kept me from pulling the trigger...

In other news, I poured a God-Tier Sazerac tonight with these beauties and I’m currently about to fly out of my seat!

4130492ac8ef4fd456bd627cbc801e4a.jpg

The Phifer-Pavitt Bardstoen is very good.
The cab really shines through with a small bit of water.
Getting a lot of chocolate and plum notes.
I too was hesitant with it being Dickel, but the finishing made it really good.
  • Like 1

Did a Discovery blind taster with two buddies using series 2, 3, and 4 last night. First off, they are all awesome. Helluva of a flight if you can put them together.

Second, having the three of them together was genuinely tough as they were all so good so it was tough to delineate any major differences. I’m not sure that if I did them head to head over a few nights (2v3, 2v4, 3v4) that I’d arrive at the same rankings but that’s an exercise for another time.

At any rate, we rated them batch 2, 3, and then 4 in that order. They were not presented in that order, so that ranking is coincidental. I was torn between 2 and 3 for 1st place, but again all of them were great.

• Like 1